Metagame SM Monotype Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
I agree with all the bans which have been done, and it really makes me really happy the council is doing this good this gen yaya.
Now from what I have played, and from what I heard of other players, possible new suspects could be:

Kartana: 181 attack unboosted, speed enough to outspeed the 4 musketeers and very nice defense (it can resist a banded EQ from excadrill iirc), it can solo sweep grounds, waters (unless SSipper Azumarill or Kingdra outspeed on rain), Rocks, Fairies, Fightings (unless dark/fighting mon or cobalion Psycho cut sweeps)... I personally use choice scarf on it alla Moxie Salamence gen4, and it works great on it
On the downside it have low base power attacking moves, and its spe defense is paper thin so it dies to resisted special attacks. Anyways illama explained Kartana far better than me so check it :3

Xurkitree: It have average stats all around except its special attack (173) and access to Tail Glow, also further boosted by electric terrain. I have used it like scarfer on monoelectric and it does fairly well with its ability, even if sometimes is still slow like scarfer compared to other ones. Can't comment on Tail Glow becos have never see it being used. A mon to watch out ya

Tapu Koko: It have great speed tier and nice mixed offenses, greatly support its team (mostly electric) with its ability and can sometimes force pass its counters (excadrill, chansey, cradily from the top of my head) with its z move Guardian of Alola.
On the other hand it greatly helps electric to be relevant again, and also helps them again dragons and breloom, not counting is the main reason alolan raichu is being used too. So im still not sure if the pros outclass the cons or the contrary.

Tapu Lele: It looks like an upgraded gardevoir, same typing and best stats overall. The mon itself isn't problematic, the issue is the support it bring with its ability to psychic teams (sucker punch, shadow sneak and other priorities disabled) so Hoopa-u and co. can sweep without the danger of priorities. (Not to talk how hard hoopa-u hits with psychic stab)
About the pros, it helps fairy mono again the steel matchup, like bullet punch is disabled, and a nice poison check (always replacing gardevoir)

Mega Metagross: This thing is a monster and everyone knows it lel. Great speed, attack and super bulk, mega gross helps both steel and psychic monos overall. Not spending too much words because everyone knows what it does ya.

Mega Slowbro: I don't have seen it used much except in a water stall with a Regenerator core (mega) Slowbro-Toxapex and it was painful to watch. Not many mons can stop it from settupin, and even in its normal form it is useful like physical wall. Not clue how it does on monopsychic, so if someone have experience with it, could be apreciated sharing it :3

Toxapex: This thing was the surprise of this gen hands down. Regenerator, 152/142 defenses, Poison typing to absorb toxic spikes, recover, a signature move which protects user and poison the opponent, and the best move in the game Scald, whats not to love in this mon. Like expected many types have problems breaking this mon, even if is offensive stats are weak. A mon to have an eye on.

Well thats all I guess, my personal opinion is:
- Kartana, Mega Metagross, Mega Slowbro: Bannable
- Xurkitree, Tapu koko, Tapu lele, Toxapex: Borderline (still not sure)
It helps council banned Terrain Extender, so we can see if it nerfs a bit the 2 tapus.
  • I've mostly discussed what Kartana's appealing aspects are for Grass and Steel, but overall the Pokemon is a pretty iffy subject as of now, simply because it will find its biggest opportunity to shine once the metagame has begun to settle in for SuMo. Not saying that it is/isn't an extremely dangerous Pokemon in certain matchups, but the fact that it wasn't overtly banned really shows that it isn't a Pokemon that deserves to be outright banned, like many other issues brought up in the quick ban slate. The determining factor for Kartana, to me, is how well it will perform and out-perform other options on Steel, because realistically, it's a god-send for Grass teams to get out of their Bulky Balance funk that it was stuck in last generation.
  • Xurkitree is a tough one for me to find anything that's really broken about it, because beyond Beast Boost + Choice Scarf being extremely annoying it has terrible coverage options, its bulk is ok with 83 HP and 71 in both defenses, and its speed tier is pretty awful, at only Base 83. Yes the daunting 173 SpA, Tail Glow and Beast Boost are a terrifying combo, but it's more or less a 1-trick-pony. It hits hard specially with extremely limited options, unlike a Pokemon such as Hoopa-U who has even greater SpA and is an effective mixed attacker, while also possessing an incredibly diverse movepool.
  • I'm not really sure why people think that Tapu Koko is even remotely broken. Just because it makes a type that was once very limited in viability into a top tier type with the combination of other Pokemon doesn't mean that it's something that should be considered for banning or suspecting. If anything, this is an excellent Pokemon to have in Gen 7 because it makes the meta much more diverse, compared to the previous generation. Now, regarding Tapu Koko itself, there is not anything that makes it seem as though it should be considered as ban-worthy. It has a nice stat spread and an excellent speed tier, in fact, a speed that helps both types that it belongs to immensely. Looking at what Tapu Koko can do on its own, it has a nice movepool that can help out both types that it belongs to, but beyond that, it's nothing to gawk at. Overall, from what I see, it's simply an incredibly solid Pokemon and a great option for both of its types to be able to utilize.
  • Tapu Lele is another very difficult Pokemon to discuss until the metagame evolves. As of now, it is basically an upgrade from Gardevoir with a great movepool and an ability that's simply better overall. It has mechanics that could become troubling thanks to Psychic Terrain, but until that issue becomes noticeably broken, there is no reason to suspect/ban this Pokemon. Once the metagame has been functioning for a decent amount of time, I can see this Pokemon receiving a suspect test, but beyond that we should probably wait until Monotype at least gets its ladder set up and we can see how the meta develops on a wide-scale. Realistically, until this Pokemon limits the performance of types facing Psychic and boosts the potential of an already top tier type, this Pokemon should stay within the meta.
  • Mega Metagross really hasn't been mentioned enough in order for it to be tested/banned mostly because people generally know that it's an extremely good/dangerous Pokemon within Monotype, so they aren't spelling it out for everyone. From a performance point of view, Mega Metagross brings incredible strength to two top tier types and allows them to simply dominate advantaged and neutral matchups thanks to its insane attack stats, movepool and ability. Its bulk in general is ridiculously good as well, and as in Gen 6, there isn't much change in how it performs in Monotype, let alone in how many types can struggle in handling it. It also recevied an incredible buff thanks to how Gen 7 treats Mega Evolutions, however, I would say this Pokemon would be a great first suspect test for the Monotype community to test out and decide on as it will really show what people need to look for in a Pokemon to understand whether it can be considered broken or not.
  • Mega Slowbro is a tough one for me. I haven't seen it enough in this generation to really know if each type can handle it in teambuilds, but from what I can see, it is another Pokemon that could work well as a suspect test, or even another quick-ban. Obviously Stallbreakers will simply beat most Mega Slowbro spreads, however this option could make team-builds like Stall Water much too difficult to handle. This definitely requires some in-depth type-for-type testing to really understand, however.
  • Toxapex doesn't deserve a suspect/ban, first and foremost. This Pokemon is nothing less than a bulky wall that you should technically have to build for, so if you lost to it stalling your team out, that's just your problem. It depends on taking hits and statusing the opposing Pokemon. That's pretty much the extent of what it can do. Sure it can be annoying to deal with because it's a very good defensive Pokemon, but as of now, it's just a great option for both Water and Poison and should be prepped for accordingly.
Regarding the recent quick-bans:
  • I agree with everything the council decided upon and I'm interested to see how people will adapt to these changes after the first week of Gen 7. With that said, I would like to touch on a seemingly uncertain topic: Blaziken
  • I've been testing Blaziken quite a bit for both Fighting and Fire, and from what I've seen, it completely eliminates any chance for losing in advantaged matchups and makes a lot of neutral matchups highly favored for whatever type Blaziken is on. For example, if Blaziken's team has hazards, i.e. Stealth Rocks up, in an advantaged matchup, the Blaziken team realistically cannot lose. The combination of speed boost with either a mixed set or fully physical set just dominate these matchups and leave no opportunity for reasonable checks and counters. Disregarding highly specific team compositions and unreasonable set-ups, Rock, Ice, Grass, Steel and Bug have no answers for Blaziken beyond extreme defensively oriented sets specifically designed to shut it down. Types like Normal or Dark have soft-checks, but realistically, they can't formally handle this threat. That in combination with its capabilities as a Baton Pass Pokemon as well is simply too overwhelming for Monotype to handle, and thus, I think it deserves the ban.

Last edited:
To be honest I don't see Ground having too much of a problem with Kartana if it can be played against intelligently. By the sounds of it most people are likely to run a Banded set on Kartana which then would let Zydog out speed and OHKO with HP Fire. That's with base 61 SpAtk...

Now if you think that's just a gimmick to be written off, I've seen HP Fire Excadrill be used for quite a while now and it isn't entirely without merit. Even in Eien's earlier post he made mention to the fact that he was struggling to find a suitable move to use in the final slot for Zydog, which is where this can be made available. I'm not saying that HP Fire should all of a sudden become staple on Zydog, in fact this is far from it, but if you find yourself having trouble facing it with Ground, this is a viable way of dealing with it.

Forgive me for not posting calcs right away as I am on mobile. I'll amend this later.

• I've mostly discussed what Kartana's appealing aspects are for Grass and Steel, but overall the Pokemon is a pretty iffy subject as of now, simply because it will find its biggest opportunity to shine once the metagame has begun to settle in for SuMo. Not saying that it is/isn't an extremely dangerous Pokemon in certain matchups, but the fact that it wasn't overtly banned really shows that it isn't a Pokemon that deserves to be outright banned, like many other issues brought up in the quick ban slate. The determining factor for Kartana, to me, is how well it will perform and out-perform other options on Steel, because realistically, it's a god-send for Grass teams to get out of their Bulky Balance funk that it was stuck in last generation.
  • Xurkitree is a tough one for me to find anything that's really broken about it, because beyond Beast Boost + Choice Scarf being extremely annoying it has terrible coverage options, its bulk is ok with 83 HP and 71 in both defenses, and its speed tier is pretty awful, at only Base 83. Yes the daunting 173 SpA, Tail Glow and Beast Boost are a terrifying combo, but it's more or less a 1-trick-pony. It hits hard specially with extremely limited options, unlike a Pokemon such as Hoopa-U who has even greater SpA and is an effective mixed attacker, while also possessing an incredibly diverse movepool.
  • I'm not really sure why people think that Tapu Koko is even remotely broken. Just because it makes a type that was once very limited in viability into a top tier type with the combination of other Pokemon doesn't mean that it's something that should be considered for banning or suspecting. If anything, this is an excellent Pokemon to have in Gen 7 because it makes the meta much more diverse, compared to the previous generation. Now, regarding Tapu Koko itself, there is not anything that makes it seem as though it should be considered as ban-worthy. It has a nice stat spread and an excellent speed tier, in fact, a speed that helps both types that it belongs to immensely. Looking at what Tapu Koko can do on its own, it has a nice movepool that can help out both types that it belongs to, but beyond that, it's nothing to gawk at. Overall, from what I see, it's simply an incredibly solid Pokemon and a great option for both of its types to be able to utilize.
  • Tapu Lele is another very difficult Pokemon to discuss until the metagame evolves. As of now, it is basically an upgrade from Gardevoir with a great movepool and an ability that's simply better overall. It has mechanics that could become troubling thanks to Psychic Terrain, but until that issue becomes noticeably broken, there is no reason to suspect/ban this Pokemon. Once the metagame has been functioning for a decent amount of time, I can see this Pokemon receiving a suspect test, but beyond that we should probably wait until Monotype at least gets its ladder set up and we can see how the meta develops on a wide-scale. Realistically, until this Pokemon limits the performance of types facing Psychic and boosts the potential of an already top tier type, this Pokemon should stay within the meta.
  • Mega Metagross really hasn't been mentioned enough in order for it to be tested/banned mostly because people generally know that it's an extremely good/dangerous Pokemon within Monotype, so they aren't spelling it out for everyone. From a performance point of view, Mega Metagross brings incredible strength to two top tier types and allows them to simply dominate advantaged and neutral matchups thanks to its insane attack stats, movepool and ability. Its bulk in general is ridiculously good as well, and as in Gen 6, there isn't much change in how it performs in Monotype, let alone in how many types can struggle in handling it. It also recevied an incredible buff thanks to how Gen 7 treats Mega Evolutions, however, I would say this Pokemon would be a great first suspect test for the Monotype community to test out and decide on as it will really show what people need to look for in a Pokemon to understand whether it can be considered broken or not.
  • Mega Slowbro is a tough one for me. I haven't seen it enough in this generation to really know if each type can handle it in teambuilds, but from what I can see, it is another Pokemon that could work well as a suspect test, or even another quick-ban. Obviously Stallbreakers will simply beat most Mega Slowbro spreads, however this option could make team-builds like Stall Water much too difficult to handle. This definitely requires some in-depth type-for-type testing to really understand, however.
  • Toxapex doesn't deserve a suspect/ban, first and foremost. This Pokemon is nothing less than a bulky wall that you should technically have to build for, so if you lost to it stalling your team out, that's just your problem. It depends on taking hits and statusing the opposing Pokemon. That's pretty much the extent of what it can do. Sure it can be annoying to deal with because it's a very good defensive Pokemon, but as of now, it's just a great option for both Water and Poison and should be prepped for accordingly.
Regarding the recent quick-bans:
  • I agree with everything the council decided upon and I'm interested to see how people will adapt to these changes after the first week of Gen 7. With that said, I would like to touch on a seemingly uncertain topic: Blaziken
  • I've been testing Blaziken quite a bit for both Fighting and Fire, and from what I've seen, it completely eliminates any chance for losing in advantaged matchups and makes a lot of neutral matchups highly favored for whatever type Blaziken is on. For example, if Blaziken's team has hazards, i.e. Stealth Rocks up, in an advantaged matchup, the Blaziken team realistically cannot lose. The combination of speed boost with either a mixed set or fully physical set just dominate these matchups and leave no opportunity for reasonable checks and counters. Disregarding highly specific team compositions and unreasonable set-ups, Rock, Ice, Grass, Steel and Bug have no answers for Blaziken beyond extreme defensively oriented sets specifically designed to shut it down. Types like Normal or Dark have soft-checks, but realistically, they can't formally handle this threat. That in combination with its capabilities as a Baton Pass Pokemon as well is simply too overwhelming for Monotype to handle, and thus, I think it deserves the ban.
I think ur selling xurkitreee rly short. it's movepool isn't terrible, it's got access to a strong grass attack in energy ball which most elecs beg for. it's only lacking in the flamethrower/ focus blast department like what amphy and manec get, but it's nowhere near "terrible." you say tapu koko, on the other hand, has a good movepool, but it only gets gk and maybe roost nd brave bird, not even moonblast. Grass + elec + ice coverage should be more than enough. you also seem to not emphasize electric terrain, and combination with scarf AND beast boost makes it kinda dumb in battle. i played wanka the othee day in an elec v elec and it basically came down to who could get the beast boost first lmao. the comparison to hoopa doesnt make much sense to me, bc im assuming youre comparing xurk to hoopas oras wallbreaking, but ofc xurk has both beast boost, and now both hoopa and xurk have terrain. ofc i could be in my own world about the oras thing, so pls correct me if im wrong. i know terrain extender just got banned, so thatll prolly change things up. at the end of the day, this is basically theorymon bcuz there were hella bans yesterday and the meta is surely to change, hopefully for the better.

(this part is geared toward both TheAce22 nd ur original post on kartana)

i agree with u (llama)on the state of kartana, there are a lot better Pokemon which just overshadow it, like aegi and meta, but down the line it should be near staple status on steel. However I think you've exaggerated it's success vs ground teams. backing on what blackschwan said, zygarde 10 is just an easy check to it with superpower Scarf chomp also revenges and I think it should be used a lot more tbh.
nvm u said that

252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 260-306 (100 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It's nothing too serious, unless it gets up a sub, then u can hit X maybe. it's no mega scizor vs ice and rock tho, you don't have to use retarded gimmicks or PU Mons to beat it, which would be it's only pro ban argument. it kinds dunks on water too, but gren Outspeeds it ig. I don't want to make this sound like a "X broken Mon is checked by Y broken Mon so X and Y aren't unhealthy" type of argument, or "LOL X common Pokemon beats Y broken Pokemon so Y isn't even a prob XD XD" but you're claiming ground gets "utterly destroyed" which i just dont think is true to the extent of talon and sciz. "And for both types, if Kartana has a typing advantage, it's basically game over. Nothing is going to stop this monster from just cleaning up." cmon man this thing isn't blaziken

On tapu koko, I think peeps think its potentially broken bc of electric surge, which makes a lot of sense. it's rly fast, can set it's own weather, gets a boost from it's weather, AND can volt switch around freely vs a Ton of types AND can grass knot some immunities. that could be a bit too much to handle for some types.

Also I'd like to bring up ash-greninja. it kinda seems (a lot) worse than reg greninja with protean, and is kind of a restricted mega evo with a useless ability. however, it's incredible speed tier should help out waters a lot bc it outspeeds base 85 scarfers and tapu koko and darkrai and is immune to priority para, allowing it to just spam dual stab and ice beam, I don't think it's broken, but just wondering if anyone thinks it's deserving of any usage.

this is from mobile so sorry for poor word choice and bad grammar

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
I was messing around with the Fairy typing and not only did it receive some very nice new pokemon such as the 4 tapus and magearna some older pokemon got nice less obvious buffs like Azumarill

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

The main difference between this Azumarill set vs the Sitrus Berry set is the sitrus berry pops after the effect of Belly Drum limiting when Azumarill may use the attack. However now with Normalium Z belly drum has an added affect of healing all its Health (hp not status) then proceeding to take the 50% from its health which means Azumarill can setup a Belly Drum with even 1% HP left. This really brings a nice buff to Azumarill especially behind screens from Klefki this item makes Azumarill that much more of a deadly sweeper. While this set isn't close enough to ban worthy its a really cool set that I thought was cool and worth sharing. The EVs are pretty standard just to outspeed base 60 no invest pokemon such as Clefable and Swampert.

Last edited:
To be honest I don't see Ground having too much of a problem with Kartana if it can be played against intelligently. By the sounds of it most people are likely to run a Banded set on Kartana which then would let Zydog out speed and OHKO with HP Fire. That's with base 61 SpAtk...

Now if you think that's just a gimmick to be written off, I've seen HP Fire Excadrill be used for quite a while now and it isn't entirely without merit. Even in Eien's earlier post he made mention to the fact that he was struggling to find a suitable move to use in the final slot for Zydog, which is where this can be made available. I'm not saying that HP Fire should all of a sudden become staple on Zydog, in fact this is far from it, but if you find yourself having trouble facing it with Ground, this is a viable way of dealing with it.

Forgive me for not posting calcs right away as I am on mobile. I'll amend this later.
i agree with u (llama)on the state of kartana, there are a lot better Pokemon which just overshadow it, like aegi and meta, but down the line it should be near staple status on steel. However I think you've exaggerated it's success vs ground teams. backing on what blackschwan said, zygarde 10 is just an easy check to it with superpower Scarf chomp also revenges and I think it should be used a lot more tbh.
nvm u said that

252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 260-306 (100 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It's nothing too serious, unless it gets up a sub, then u can hit X maybe. it's no mega scizor vs ice and rock tho, you don't have to use retarded gimmicks or PU Mons to beat it, which would be it's only pro ban argument. it kinds dunks on water too, but gren Outspeeds it ig. I don't want to make this sound like a "X broken Mon is checked by Y broken Mon so X and Y aren't unhealthy" type of argument, or "LOL X common Pokemon beats Y broken Pokemon so Y isn't even a prob XD XD" but you're claiming ground gets "utterly destroyed" which i just dont think is true to the extent of talon and sciz. "And for both types, if Kartana has a typing advantage, it's basically game over. Nothing is going to stop this monster from just cleaning up." cmon man this thing isn't blaziken
Guys, why you doing like band is the only item usable on kartana, when scarf is viable too (even better in my opinion). Double scarf core on steel: excadrill/kartana is too good to pass up right now

- Outspeed the 4 musketeers: check
- Chance to sweep lot of types alone: check
- Very nice physical bulk to take priorities if neccesary: check​

Smart strike isn't absolutely necessary either, excadrill already destroys fairies/ices/rocks, so you can afford to run other coverage move.
About calcs (this is counting scarf kartana):

252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zygarde 10%: 250-295 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO (nope, unless for some reason u have scarf 10% zygarde with hp fire)
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zygarde 50%: 160-190 (38 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (already a 3HKO, sack something to thousand waves/superpower and revenge later for the ohko counting beast boost if necessary)​

Now onto tested checks:

252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 151-178 (36.2 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (tankchomp is legit, recoil damages kartana and threaten back with fire blast, even if band kartana wins again it but recoil damages it too)
-1 252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Landorus-Therian: 99-117 (25.9 - 30.7%) -- 3.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery (sort of the same thing like chomp, EQ 2HKOes kartana)
Not posting banded excadrill on sand here because skarmory walls it easy.​

On monowater is sort of the same story, from my tests only sap sipper azumarill on stall and SS kingdra give me some sort of a problem.

So don't misunderstand me, I could be happy if Kartana remains, its so fun to use on steel, but I could be on my toes and ask for more testing before people diminish the threath which kartana is.

Guys, why you doing like band is the only item usable on kartana, when scarf is viable too (even better in my opinion). Double scarf core on steel: excadrill/kartana is too good to pass up right now

- Outspeed the 4 musketeers: check
- Chance to sweep lot of types alone: check
- Very nice physical bulk to take priorities if neccesary: check​

Smart strike isn't absolutely necessary either, excadrill already destroys fairies/ices/rocks, so you can afford to run other coverage move.
About calcs (this is counting scarf kartana):

252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zygarde 10%: 250-295 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO (nope, unless for some reason u have scarf 10% zygarde with hp fire)
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zygarde 50%: 160-190 (38 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (already a 3HKO, sack something to thousand waves/superpower and revenge later for the ohko counting beast boost if necessary)​

Now onto tested checks:

252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 151-178 (36.2 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (tankchomp is legit, recoil damages kartana and threaten back with fire blast, even if band kartana wins again it but recoil damages it too)
-1 252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Landorus-Therian: 99-117 (25.9 - 30.7%) -- 3.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery (sort of the same thing like chomp, EQ 2HKOes kartana)
Not posting banded excadrill on sand here because skarmory walls it easy.​

On monowater is sort of the same story, from my tests only sap sipper azumarill on stall and SS kingdra give me some sort of a problem.

So don't misunderstand me, I could be happy if Kartana remains, its so fun to use on steel, but I could be on my toes and ask for more testing before people diminish the threath which kartana is.
Nobody is diminishing it, Paleo was simply numbing down what he thought was a bit of an overhype on what was said about kartana. Don't worry man we all know it's good, but controversial as well.

In regards to z belly drum, I personally still think that situs has its benefits and I actually still prefer to use situs over a z belly set. I don't think it's bad, but I just think it relies more on catching your opponent off guard sometimes rather than sitrus, which I don't like. The one thing really nice about z belly is that just having it means that your opponent has to regard azu the entire battle rather than with sitrus. You could just get Azu to a certain hp and then pretty much disregard it because it wouldn'the be able to set up anymore. That's out of the question now, so as long as it's forcing a switch, it doesnt matter what hp it's at, you have to play carefully around it. But yeah I don't think the good old screens + sitrus should be counted out now that we have z belly because it'seems just as reliable.

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
My wording for Xurkitree was a bit misleading and not really what I was trying to say, so I'll correct that. What I mean is that Xurkitree is 'terribly limited' in its coverage options. Don't get me wrong, having access to Energy Ball is amazing for electric teams and it has great potential, however I do think it is a Pokemon that the metagame can develop around to handle because it has such limited options. Though it is on a type with access to Electric Terrain and Sticky Webs for team support options and Tail Glow + Beast Boost as its own strengths, so I could very well be mistaken on how Xurkitree will truly perform in the coming months. Obviously Beast Boost can be brutal to handle once Xurkitree gets going, but it isn't a Pokemon that you can't predict. Because its moveset options are so limited it isn't capable of catching you off-guard or unawares; you basically know exactly what you're dealing with, the only uncertainty being whether it's choice locked or using Tail Glow. I suppose this is just another Pokemon that we will have to see how types handle it once Gen 7 starts to settle in. I will say that I think it will become a staple of Electric teams moving forward and because it has access to a hard-hitting Energy Ball, it is something that the type simply cannot miss out on.

truedrew

Banned deucer.
I was messing around with the Fairy typing and not only did it receive some very nice new pokemon such as the 4 tapus and magearna some older pokemon got nice less obvious buffs like Azumarill

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

The main difference between this Azumarill set vs the Sitrus Berry set is the sitrus berry pops after the effect of Belly Drum limiting when Azumarill may use the attack. However now with Normalium Z belly drum has an added affect of healing all its Health (hp not status) then proceeding to take the 50% from its health which means Azumarill can setup a Belly Drum with even 1% HP left. This really brings a nice buff to Azumarill especially behind screens from Klefki this item makes Azumarill that much more of a deadly sweeper. While this set isn't close enough to ban worthy its a really cool set that I thought was cool and worth sharing. The EVs are pretty standard just to outspeed base 60 no invest pokemon such as Clefable and Swampert.
liked :V btut also how well does this set fair up v/s something like steel offense and elec spam im just curious

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
liked :V btut also how well does this set fair up v/s something like steel offense and elec spam im just curious
Mainly Azumarill's trouble setting BD up on those types before was it needdd to have 50% to do which was difficult against types with advantage. But with Normalium Z it can setup BD from 1% making it much easier to setup and then sweep. I know with all the new Tapus and Magearna now being available to Fairy, Klefki is less likely to be on Fairy but if you run this set or Azumarill Klefki's screens will make it easier to setup on these types. Not saying that it will be able to setup 100% of the time because of many new features like Beast Boost/UBs and the terrains but Klefki+Azumarill still make it a more reliable setup sweeper against most types.

Last edited:

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Going away from recent ban happy posts I'd like to talk about Balanced Water and how it has the potential to be one the best builds in Sun and Moon Monotype
+

This core unlike the standard ORAS Defensive core of Empoleon + Lanturn is not weak to Ground-types and does the pretty much the same thing. Mantine now has access to Roost in Sun and Moon and has gained +20 HP increasing its overall bulk. Swampert was not used as much as Empoleon mainly because Empoleon could compress two roles into one(Stealth Rock and Defog). When Swampert was ran in ORAS often Tentacruel was its prime teammate, which was a decent core. The main problems with Swampert cores in ORAS the opportunity cost of not using Empoleon was extremely high. It was also not worth it because the core is extremely weak to Grass Knot Thundurus and Electric types in general. However, with the Thunder Wave nerf and the plethora of new and viable electric-type Pokemon, Thundurus seems like it will be most likely utilizing physical sets with Defiant instead of Prankster. Overall once the metagame settles I can see this core dominating the metagame like Skarmory + Zapdos did in Gen 6.

New Additions

Toxapex seems to be an amazing addition for Balanced Water providing a secondary Grass resist and also has Regenerator allowing it to recover 33% of its HP when it switches out. I have had the most success with Haze on Toxapex because most types need to set up to break it. Toxapex also has reliable recovery in Recover making it an even better wall. Although Toxapex has Liqudation , Scald is better to burn foes (like how Alomomola uses Scald over Waterfall). Also its signature move, Baneful Bunker, is a very cool move. The move in the most basic sense is similar to King's Shield, but instead of lowering foes' attack by 2 stages, it poisons the foe. Toxapex also has Toxic Spikes which can help its teammates pick up certain KOs. Overall Toxapex seems like a very good wall for Balanced Water teams.

Tapu Fin is one of the four new terrain summoners and is very interesting on Balanced Water builds. Its terrain, misty terrain, which lowers power of Dragon-type attacks. This helps allows Swampert to better deal with Kyurem-B. Tapu Fin also has decent special attacks in Scald, Moonblast, Taunt, Grass Knot, Ice Beam, and Hydro Pump. Tapu Fini being the bulkiest of the 4 Tapu's can take most non super effective attacks comfortably. Tapu Fin seems very interesting as it seems like it won't be useful at this time, but it has some unique attributes.

New Moves/Unbans

Mega Sharpedo gains access to a new Fang move in Psychic Fangs allowing it to deal massive damage to Mega Venusaur. However this creates a 4 slot move syndrome for Mega Sharpedo. Psychic Fangs also breaks Screens which gives it a purpose against Fairy Teams that utilize Klefki. Mega Sharpedo seems to be the go to option for a Mega Evolution on balanced Water in Sun and Moon because of the recent addition of Psychic Fangs.
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Crunch vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 226-268 (62.2 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO I changed Crunch to 85 BP and to a Psychic-type move)

Protean Greninja seems to be very slightly bellow the level it was in XY. It does pretty much the same thing it did in XY, so it is not worth going over in-depth.
Ash Greninja
(Battle Bond) Ash Greninja is an interesting addition that I haven't tested or seen it much. Obviously Ash Greninja is weaker than Protean Greninja using non STAB moves, which makes Protean Greninja seem more appealing. However, Ash Greninja has base 132 speed allowing it to outspeed Tapu Koko and Weavile. However, Ash Greninja needs to KO a Pokemon to gain the base 132 speed, which is often very hard to accomplish. Ash Greninja seems like it has potential in Monotype under very specific circumstances.

Older Additions

Keldeo was hit very hard in Generation 7 with the burn nerf (6% instead of 12% HP) and Normal's Megas being unreleased (decreasing viability of Normal a type Keldeo swept). The metagame at the moment does not favor Keldeo. However, Keldeo does not seem to be obsolete because of its high speed of 108 and Fighting STAB being useful against Steel-types

Lanturn in the current metagame is very useful because of the obvious dominance of Electric-types. Lanturn provides a better Electric immunity than Swampert. This also solves the problem of Grass Knot + Thunderbolt users sweeping an entire Balanced Water team. Lantrun also helps with momentum with slow Volt Switches and also is a good cleric having access to Heal Bell.

Conclusion
In early Sun and Moon Electric will most likely dominate because of plethora of good Pokemon. However, I feel as the more quick bans happen Balanced Water will only continue to get better. Balanced Water has gotten many small upgrades in Sun and Moon, but together give Balanced Water immense potential.

^tapu fini seems like something you will definitely want to consider for balanced water, both for Defog access but more importantly for terrain control. Grassy and electric terrains will both break water teams, and psychic terrain is usually not your friend; being able to get rid of these in under 5 turns justifies using tapu fini by itself

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is kind of random for the current discussion here, but how is power construct banned and Zygarde is not? That's a complex ban.
No because the ability is banned on everything that gets it
For not being useless, I really like water right now because of how cool toxapex is. Although most teams have removal, tspikes is still generally very useful, and it can wall and annoy a ton of water threats like random grasses and steels and whatever. Baneful Bunker is kinda useless because you wouldnt wanna run protect normally, but you still have the ability to fit on haze or toxic or something. The one thing I've found really annoying though is P-Z, because Lanturn and Empoleon just arent stops. I could really see P-Z getting put up for a suspect sometime in the future when the more ridiculous stuff settles down because of just how powerful of an immediate boost it has to run through things, but for now at least p much every bulky thing on water can run either haze or roar.
Tapu Fini is also enjoyable, CM/Surf/Moonblast/HP Fire is actually nice with a status immunity and you can go up to outspeeding Hoopa-U, but as a support mon I'm not sure how much traction it's going to get with having no recovery like mantine or pelipper and not having Empoleon's useful steel typing + rocks. Oh and protecting the other side from scald burns/toxic/Tspikes became annoying after like two games

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'm one to never have done this in the past, but I felt like I needed to address this. I won't go every in-depth on this since these types of things is not my forte. Please excuse any errors you may see in this also.

After seeing people discuss what pokemon should be banned and seeing their reasons I've noticed one particular pokemon nobody has talked about and thats Celesteela. Celesteela has proven to be a worthy asset on both the typings it can be in making it almost a staple on both from what I've seen. This pokemon can provide both Offense and Defense capabilities to any team it's on paired up with one of the best typings in the game (Steel/Flying) this pokemon is a serious threat. With the almost pesudo-base of 570 BST this pokemon is boosted even more. 570 BST is what I would consider "Average" out of a pokemon but the way its stats is distributed is the real concern for me. Having 97 HP, 101 Attack, 103 Defense, 107 Special Attack, 101 Special defense, and 61 speed this pokemon (if not already suggested by its typing alone) is a flying fortress of mayhem. Having Leech Seed, Protect, leftovers and the steel typing makes this pokemon hard to take down already, but if the opponent allows it to score even one kill its ability will make it even harder for you to kill it ( That is if the user invested enough EV's into either its defense/special defense for beast boost to boost them). Since this pokemon has the heaviest weight any pokemon can have (999.9 kg), and getting the steel STAB boost Heavy Slam can cause massive damage on any pokemon that doesn't resist it. It also has other moves like Earthquake, Energy Ball, Flamethower, etc. to expand its range of coverage. If the user wants to use a stall set they could also add in Toxic making it harder to play around this monster of a pokemon.

That's all I wanted to say on this because like I said this is my first time posting something like this and thank you to those who took their time to read this.

Last edited:

DoW

formally Death on Wings
On the topic of water, I'd like to also bring up Pyukumuku.

While it's not exactly an offensive threat, this mon's decent stats, usable movepool and most importantly, access to unaware, allow it to toxic stall a number of threats, while baton pass and taunt can at least attempt to stop it being such horrendous bait.
A few examples of its bulk:
252 SpA Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Pyukumuku: 136-160 (43.3 - 50.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 133-157 (42.3 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 148-175 (47.1 - 55.7%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I don't know what EV spread is best by a long way, but specially defensive can also be annoying for your opponent:
252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Pyukumuku: 134-158 (42.6 - 50.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (z-conversion pz, tbolt does exactly the same amount)

Obviously I don't know what the relevant calcs are yet this gen, but it's a pretty annoying mon to take down unless you have a decent wallbreaker, something that mono teams often don't think about as much as they should.

Hello everyone, I'm one to never have done this in the past, but I felt like I needed to address this. I won't go every in-depth on this since these types of things is not my forte. Please excuse any errors you may see in this also.

After seeing people discuss what pokemon should be banned and seeing their reasons I've noticed one particular pokemon nobody has talked about and thats Celesteela. Celesteela has proven to be a worthy asset on both the typings it can be in making it almost a staple on both from what I've seen. This pokemon can provide both Offense and Defense capabilities to any team it's on paired up with one of the best typings in the game (Steel/Flying) this pokemon is a serious threat. With the almost pesudo-base of 570 BST this pokemon is boosted even more. 570 BST is what I would consider "Average" out of a pokemon but the way its stats is distributed is the real concern for me. Having 97 HP, 101 Attack, 103 Defense, 107 Special Attack, 101 Special defense, and 61 speed this pokemon (if not already suggested by its typing alone) is a flying fortress of mayhem. Having Leech Seed, Protect, leftovers and the steel typing makes this pokemon hard to take down already, but if the opponent allows it to score even one kill its ability will make it even harder for you to kill it ( That is if the user invested enough EV's into either its defense/special defense for beast boost to boost them). Since this pokemon has the heaviest weight any pokemon can have (999.9 kg), and getting the steel STAB boost Heavy Slam can cause massive damage on any pokemon that doesn't resist it. It also has other moves like Earthquake, Energy Ball, Flamethower, etc. to expand its range of coverage. If the user wants to use a stall set they could also add in Toxic making it harder to play around this monster of a pokemon.

That's all I wanted to say on this because like I said this is my first time posting something like this and thank you to those who took their time to read this.
Hi, welcome to Monotype! I think the general point you're trying to get across is good, but there's some things to consider here. Celesteela does have great coverage, unlike it's biggest probable rival, Skarmory. However, the fact that it lacks recovery outside of Rest or Leech Seed is a pretty big flaw I feel. That's kinda saddening knowing it has great defensive typing, and above average stats across the board. Lacking an entry hazard I feel also really sets it apart, and Skarms undeniably superior defense stat also can discourage the usage of it on Steel or Flying. So I personally don't think it'll be considered a staple, but you did have good reasoning otherwise.

scp edit: just discuss the meta. no need to comment on other people's posting habits

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! a few things I want to talk about after playing the meta for quite a while.

Those who know me know I've been very bold about what I think is ban worthy and not. I won't talk about the obvious "Kartana's not broken because of x" or other things that have been pointed out already. Instead, I'll bring up a mon that hasn't really been talked about.

Tapu Bulu packs more power than even Mega Medicham in Grassy Terrain, which is something that's really scary when you think about it.

Using Conkeldurr as a base as it's a good defensive mon that is neutral to both's main STAB:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr in Grassy Terrain: 505-595 (122.2 - 144%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 369-435 (89.3 - 105.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

-----

Tapu Bulu is very, very tough to deal with in this metagame. Sporting an impressive 130 attack, very solid bulk, a built-in leftovers, ridiculously high powered STAB, and even more passive recovery in a high-powered Horn Leech, Bulu might just be a little too good. Now, some "negatives" about it:

No Play Rough: That's honestly not the best point. While yes, it would rather have it than not, people would not be saying this had it been mono grass and not grass/fairy, but Fairy acts more as a defensive type than offensive. EDIT: To add to this, Tapu Bulu has more than enough movepool coverage to not need to worry about the lack of Fairy STAB. Superpower, Megahorn, Stone Edge, and a surprisingly good support movepool including Disable, Taunt, and Whirlwind more than make up for Play Rough, which hits on average for only about 121 BP after factoring STAB and accuracy.

4x weak to poison: It doesn't like taking attacks from Poison types, yes. However, the type that Bulu's meant to shine on, Grass, has multiple checks (and immunities) to Poison to the point where it should NOT be a crippling flaw. Speaking of it's typing, it resists a third of the type chart, all extremely common attacking types such as Ground, Fighting, Dark and Water, not to mention the insane Dragon immunity. Pair it up with Ferrothorn, and you have an amazing semi-stall/BO core right there.

Lack of speed: Bulu doesn't need speed. It would appreciate some, maybe. But Bulu's role is meant to be a slow attacker that tanks the hit and drains it back with Horn Leech. This also works in tandem with Swords Dance, so low Speed shouldn't be the biggest issue.

That's really all I have to say about Bulu for now, just thought it was worth bringing up since no one else was. Is it broken? Eh, perhaps not. It's all about waiting and seeing.

EDIT: Felt like I should add more to my main points

Last edited:
I think when the dust settles and metagame trends are established, tapu bulu will be invaluable on grass due to terrain and sheer power. Fairy STAB has poor synergy with grass anyway, and honestly bulu can power through some resists with wood hammer which is frightening. Poison is a terrible attacking type and can be seen coming from far away, but more importantly poison moves are an invite for kartana to switch in which is never good for the opponent.

Even worse, bulu's sheer power causes tons of switches, which lends itself to a sub seed set that is made way more frustrating with grassy terrain and horn leech...

FellFromtheSky

and started walking.
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was a bit hesitant to post here, but I've decided to face my fears! Rarely do I ever venture into the actual competitive side of Smogon—almost every post I make is in either Smeargle's Studio or the Flying Press. My only contact with competitive battling came just earlier this year, when I got into Monotype and had a fun run with a Trick Room Fairy team (that went through several iterations) that peaked at #10 (see FellFromtheStars). I eventually stopped playing after that though, but am eager to get back into Monotype now that Gen VII has begun. I notice not much attention has been paid to Fairy at this point, so I decided to make a few comments and thought on things I noticed and/or thought were interesting.

Magearna, aside from Tapu Lele and the newly buffed Diancie-M (even if it hasn't been released), was the first thing that drew my eye. It has a really neat ability in Soul Heart and super cool type—Fairy always needs more things to tank Steel and Poison attacks. But what really made me look at it was its access to Trick Room. With Trick Room, Volt Switch, Fleur Cannon, and a bunch of other options, I definitely see this being a great 'mon for TR Fairy, in particular. I'm personally looking forward to trying a slow, bulky attacker TR set.

So many fairies this gen! Not that I'm complaining, of course. Tapu Koko, along with Ribombee, finally gives Fairy some actually fast 'mons. Lele, of course, has the awesome priority blocking Psychic Surge (finally, something for all those irritating Scizors). Actually, all of the Tapus' abilities seem super great. Of them all, Tapu Fini seems the least useful to me, as its type overlaps with Azumarill's (and Primarina's, I guess?) and Misty Terrain also prevents you from inflicting status conditions on your opponent. Even still though, it apparently gets Defog, and the only other 'mon Fairy has with that move is Togekiss—who would much rather run something else.

I could wax poetic about Ninetales-Alola's lovely design forever, but that's not really why I included it here. Aurora Veil is. I've seen some people running Ninetales-A in conjunction with Tapu Bulu actually, as Grassy Terrain essentially negates the passive damage from hail and Aurora Veil is super helpful for any 'mon. Freeze Dry is also neat, and with that and Snow Warning, it'd probably be effective at handling all the Water/Rain teams running around (Pelipper, Swampert, and Ludicolo are all 4x, for instance).

Another 'mon that seems cool is Comfey, which apparently gets +3 priority Draining Kiss?! Not only that, but it also has Taunt, Calm Mind, Aromatherapy, and Synthesis. Even though it's not super bulky, fast, or powerful, it seems like it actually might be quite useful.

Some other things I thought of but am too tired to write about now: M-Diancie, Mimikyu, Shiinotic, Z-Moves, Z-Celebrate Sylveon, Z-Belly Drum Azumarill, the fact that there are more than two decently viable physical attackers for Fairy now.

Last edited:

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
I think you're selling Mega Alakazam a little short. I know Mega Metagross was the formerly banned Mega Evolution and that Mega Alakazam was almost unused in ORAS Monotype, but SuMo has really brought Mega Alakazam up to be at least partially competitive with Mega Metagross in my opinion for the current metagame. The most obvious useful buff was the new way Speed is calculated on the turn Alakazam Mega Evolves. It now comes right out of the gates with 438 Speed, which is faster than threats like Ash Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Choice Scarf Xurkitree.

It has also received an amazing teammate in Tapu Lele. Tapu Lele can set Psychic Terrain, which both boosts Mega Alakazam's power and keeps it save from priority attacks, while also taking out Dark-types that Mega Alakazam would often have to rely on the inaccurate Focus Blast to take on.

Furthermore, the meta is very offensive right now and the few walls that Mega Alakazam had a hard time breaking like Chansey are nowhere to be seen. Instead, very common threats include weather abusers like Sand Rush Excadrill and Surge Surfer Alolan Raichu, which Mega Alakazam's Trace is basically tailored to check. Many new abilities have been released that Mega Alakazam just can't wait to Trace, such as Beast Boost and Soul-Heart, and Greninja's unban offers up Protean.

I'm not saying that Mega Alakazam is an amazing threat now, but it's definitely something I've already built around and expect to have continued success with. I'd give it a fair try before writing it off to be as useless as it might have been last generation!
Since i learned about all the unreleased mons i had been saying alakazam would be one of the greatest megas this gen not only in ou but in monotype as well i have agree with eien 100% with this. have psychic being boosted by tapu lele, plus the volt turn core that psychic can offer zam it can come in for free of predicted switches alot of the time. many of its weakness are patched up by apecs tapu lele which can basically replace gard without a mega slot. eien is right the meta is very offense now with alot of things in zams speed tier being unreleased i think the preferred nature atm is modest for the extra power. all in all i think zam will continue with great success this gen as well.

I was for unbanning Darkrai when I heard about the Dark Void nerf. I think it definitely deserved a fair chance to be tested in the metagame and I'm going to be hitting the new Monotype ladder (ot: Finally!) with a team built around Darkrai over the next few days. So, that being said, I want to share the primary set I'm currently using that I think might just be too good along with two alternatives I've tested out a little bit. I'll admit to not having nearly as much experience with this as I did with my other posts, but so far it has performed exceptionally well. After seeing a discussion on Darkrai already in the Monotype chat, I wanted to come here and spark some more on the forums to see where the community's at and how it feels about Darkrai. I think Darkrai has three primary sets that should be considered, so let's get right into it!

Z Hypnosis
Darkrai @ Psychium Z
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hypnosis
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Nasty Plot

This is the set I think is the best and the one I've been using to great success. For those who don't know, Z Hypnosis boosts Darkrai's Speed by 1. So, not only can Darkrai put a foe to sleep with a modest 60% accuracy, it does so while also boosting its Speed, setting it up for a sweep right on the spot. Darkrai already has a very respectable base 125 Speed, and almost no Pokemon in the metagame can outspeed it after +1 outside of Alolan Raichu. This, combined with Hypnosis putting a foe to sleep, means that Darkrai is very safe in picking up at least one Nasty Plot boost. At this point, you have a +2 / +1 Darkrai and that's incredibly difficult to check. Dark Pulse is used because it's a STAB move for maximum damage and Sludge Bomb is the coverage move to allow it to KO Fairy-types. This can outright sweep some teams after very minor damage is done. For example, Ground teams are completely at its mercy if it gets +2 / +1, even Gastrodon and Hippowdon are taking a very solid 70-80% minimum from Dark Pulse and Sand rush Excadrill cannot outspeed it.

Nasty Plot
Darkrai @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast / Thunderbolt

This set is somewhat similar to the Z Hypnosis set, but plays very differently. Life Orb makes Darkrai much more powerful, letting it reach many more KOs than the previous set can hope for, such as an OHKO on Hippowdon to avoid being put into Zygarde's Extreme Speed range by Earthquake. It also drops the utility of Z Hypnosis for extra coverage. Focus Blast is the preferred replacement for being able to OHKO Magearna after one Nasty Plot and for being able to hit Dark-types that resist Darkrai's Dark Pulse. +2 Thunderbolt can OHKO Toxapex and still does significant damage to Magearna, making it a somewhat okay alternative. This set is much more reliant on teammates being able to take out revenge killers, as its 383 Speed leaves it outsped by the likes of Tapu Koko and Sand Rush Excadrill. That being said, its extra power and coverage makes it capable of sweeping more teams and types than the Z Hypnosis set is. As a final note, Substitute + Leftovers gives Darkrai some amount of safety but is probably outclassed by the Z Hypnosis set in that regard, so I wouldn't use it.

Choice Specs
Darkrai @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

In a metagame so offensive and so fast, wallbreakers like Choice Specs Hoopa-U just don't cut it anymore. This is a nice wallbreaker set that isn't completely deadweight against offense. It pretty much works exactly how you think it does: bring it in safely and pick up an easy 2HKO. Sludge Bomb is obligatory on all Darkrai sets to let it hit and beat Fairy-types. Focus Blast hits Steel / Fairy Pokemon like Magearna and can OHKO many Dark-types. Thunderbolt is just great coverage to round off the set with the ability to break bulky Waters much more easily. While I was originally fired up to use this set, I'm not convinced this is what Darkrai's niche should be anymore after trying out the Z Hypnosis set. I think Dark teams lack good setup sweepers, so Darkrai's ability to perform that be a top class sweeper should not be underestimated. Nevertheless, if you need a fast and powerful wallbreaker use Greninja give Choice Specs Darkrai a run. Seriously though, Darkrai has a much different movepool and coverage that Greninja can't use, so I wouldn't hesitate to use this wallbreaker in Greninja's stead.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Darkrai! It's a very controversial Pokemon and an unban that I've received a lot of flak for. So I'd like to know what the community thinks of it as we all begin to hit the new ladder. I'll definitely be using the Z Hypnosis set in particular a lot just to make sure. If you think Darkrai is just too good and should be banned again after you test it out and battle against it, let me know your opinions and reasons!

I've used Darkrai both on the ladder and in tours- haven't played against it much because Dark hasn't been the most popular type this gen. I haven't found Darkrai to be a particularly overwhelming threat, except against types Dark is already strong against(Ghost, Psychic). It has no secondary typing, so no secondary STAB or resistances to switch into and has mediocre physical and special bulk. The Nasty Plot and Specs sets can be fairly easily revenge killed by most Scarfers and priority moves.

The Z-Hypnosis set is probably the hardest to deal with because Darkrai can potentially shut down a counter and avoid being revenge killed by most Scarfers- but the sleep itself is inaccurate and having only two attacking moves leaves Darkrai more vulnerable against Dark or Fairy types. Darkrai does have several relatively safe switch ins in new mons like Alolan-Muk and Magearna who both resist Dark, are immune/resistant to Poison, and are hit neutrally by Focus Blast with high SpDef.

I've found other sweepers like Greninja and Mega-Sharpedo more powerful in most matchups, so I'm definitely not finding Darkrai too good in the current meta.

I have to agree that people are definitely undervaluing Alakazam-Mega in this metagame. Trace is such a good ability now, and it's basically become the Ultra Beast slayer.

A type I'll have to talk about this gen is Rock. Now, it lost two Megas it REALLY enjoyed having in Diancie and Aggron, but Rock gets their own Mega Alakazam:

Mega Aerodactyl achieves 150 speed right away- allowing it to outspeed some Pokemon that previously put a lot of pressure on Rock, such as 108s like Keldeo, base 80 speed scarf users, Tapu Koko, the list goes on. The only monotype Pokemon that can naturally outspeed Aerodactyl is Ninjask. Now, Mega Aerodactyl may still be an inferior choice to Diancie, but it definitely offers a huge amount of coverage to Rock's bad matchups, namely Ground and Fighting. Here's a set I've been trying out for it:

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

---------------------------------

Another Rock Pokemon that might benefit the type:

Lycanroc is the first Rock Pokemon with access to Sand Rush, allowing it to be an ideal choice on Rock, obtaining 2x speed and x1.5 special defense in the sand. It gets a fairly high 115 attack, plus an already-good 112 speed that outspeeds even Alolan Raichu in their respective weathers. 115 attack is further enhanced by boosting moves like Swords Dance and Bulk Up. It forms a very solid speedy core with Mega Dactyl which Rock never had before, but doesn't offer anything too crazy in terms of synergy with Rock itself. Where it falls is its in its lack of a solid movepool, where it really only learns Stone Edge, Sucker Punch, Brick Break, and its signature move Accelerock. A quick set I made for it if you want to try it out:

Lycanroc @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

--------------------------------

Rock lost an amazing special attacker in Diancie but gained another one:

Nihilego is such an underrated Pokemon, and will definitely be a staple on Rock teams. It has unpredictability- you never know which of the many sets it will run, and they are all good. Furthermore, Beast Boost is a special Moxie for it. It also covers the Grass weakness very well. 109/47/53/127/131/103 is an amazing stat distribution. While you do have a hole in your physical defense, 103 is an excellent Speed tier, outspeeding Charizard, Garchomp, Landorus, and others. It has pretty good coverage: good enough to run a choiced set. 127 Special Attack is quite outstanding for a Rock type, being the second highest behind Mega Diancie. It's already stellar 109/131 Special bulk is enhanced to crazy levels in the sand, which is another thing Rock really didn't have before. Again, Nihilego's ability to run a lot of diverse sets make it an excellent option for Rock teams. I do have to say this has been my favorite Nihilego set so far:

Nihilego @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 176 SpA / 80 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sludge Wave
- Power Gem
- Hidden Power [Fire] / [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

The given EVs are tailored so that Beast Boost gives the boost to Speed rather than Special Attack, which can destroy some offense teams. The choice between Ice and Fire HPs is up to team need- Fire gets you walled by Ground, and Ice gets you walled by Steel.

----------------------------------

Lastly, everyone's favorite Mario Galaxy character!

Seriously, look at that dope black color. This meteor has a very interesting ability in Shields Down that allows it to turn from a bulky and weak pokemon to a potent and FAAAAAST sweeper, even faster with Shell Smash. This gen, Gamefreak dispelled the fact that Rock was a slow type completely. Seeing its stats, it's very interesting: 60/60/100/60/100/60 that turns into 60/100/60/100/60/120 after dropping below 50%. 60/100/100 is ideal to take a strong hit, activate Shields Down, and go insanely speedy with a very respectable 656 Attack after a Shell Smash. Furthermore, Minior is perfect in that it should run White Herb- the item loss makes Acrobatics a 110 BP move! Combine this with StoneQuake, the terrific Rock/Flying typing, and you have yourself a Pokemon that's looking to get A/S ranked in Monotype. This set is pretty self-explanatory, and works extremely well:

Minior @ White Herb
Ability: Shields Down
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Shell Smash

---------------------------

That's all I have to say for Rock. It's actually a pretty underrated team this gen, retaining threats like Tyranitar and Terrakion. Alolan Golem might be an interesting option with Magnet Pull (Getting rid of Skarmory? Yes please!) as well as some others I am forgetting.

I really don't write these often at all, but thanks you for reading ^^ I might do one on Fighting sometime soon, as it's my main type.

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
:)
Its decem, and I've come to write something about Sableye-Mega.

Mega Sableye is a really nice check to the dark types in this Metagame. With Aegislash gone, Mega Sableye is one of the centralizing threats in the Ghost Metagame, due to the fact that it can tank a few hits and fire a will o' the wisp in return. Mega Sableye turns some of the sturdiest of walls to its own setup fodder.

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature

- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
This is the traditional Sableye-Mega set that most of stall fears. Setup calm mind on Stealth rockers, Burn physical attackers. Really nice set if you know how to manage. Snarl can be used over Dark Pulse for the special attack drop. Max HP and Defense for those nasty physical attackers on dark.

Here are the two pivots that Sableye can resort to.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature

- Scald
- Acid Armor
- Toxic
- Recover
Jellicent is one of the best special defense walls in the game. Cursed body can really fuck the opposing team up, as a scarfed or specs pokemon doesn't really like its only move disabled. Set up Acid Armour on a special attacker, and toxic the whole team. Fish for burns with scald, simple as that. Taunt can be used over Acid Armor if you really hate chansey.

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature

- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Gourgeist is known mostly to ghost players as Jellicent's physical counterpart. It gets status moves such as Will o' the wisp and Leech Seed to cripple opposing pokemon's physical side and turn the 'mon into stall bait for Jellicent. Prior to the unbanning of Mega Sableye I used a magic coat set to keep hazards off of my side of the field. Now that Mega Sableye is here, in order to prevent status & hazards off you could just make the switch into Mega Sableye. Leech seed could be for supporting Mega Sableye's longlivity and help bring back to life a weakened jellicent. Gourgeist's grass typing also allows it to absorb spore and act as a solid check to Breloom and other grass 'mons such as Tapu Bulu, which would shit wood hammers all over the ghost meta like crazy otherwise. Foul play punishes the opponent's setup mons, such as D dancers and Swords Dancers.

Lets say your MegaSab is out and the guy decides to go into banded Excadrill/Specs Keldeo. You know Mega Sableye cannot take a hit, so you pivot into Gourgeist/Jellicent, who can eat up the incoming attack very nicely. Gourgeist and Jellicent would either force the opponent to switch either into A: a toxic user or B: a Special(Gourgeist)/Physical(Jellicent) attacker. If he sends out a toxic user, you can pivot either of the two walls into Mega Sableye, which bounces the toxic back and then sets up CM, or just cripples more shit. If it happens to land a burn on the physical attacker, congrats on jelli stalling out the day. If its a special attacker that comes in, then stack up those CMs. If you feel like Mega Sableye is about to get KO'd, just pivot to either Jellicent or Gourgeist depending on the mon.
This creates a core that is really difficult to break since each member of the core covers weaknesses of the other two members.
:0 Ayy I finished it. Thanks for reading this I guess and I hope you found this userful

Last edited:

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wanted to take a moment to comment on a couple things I've used in the room tours and on the ladder thus far. They aren't completely broken like Eien's Hypnosis Darkrai, but I've found them to be really interesting/useful.

Specs Tapu Lele

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball / Psyshock

I've heard lots of talk about Scarf Lele (and it is definitely good), but I wanted to test out a Specs set. It just nukes stuff under Psychic Terrain. Almost nothing can switch in on a Psychic and the threat of Moonblast deters Dark-type switch-ins. It is reminiscent of Mega-Garde from ORAS, but w/ significantly more power on its main attack. The benefits of Psychic Terrain are really nice for the team as a whole too. Most notably, Mega-Alakazam is awesome as an offensive partner that abuses the terrain (as others have talked about in this thread).

Psychic teams also has everything you need to support a set like this. U-turn Jirachi or U-turn Mew are great to pair with it. U-turn on Victini is also awesome at getting this into favorable matchups. This also loves T-wave support from things like Slowbro or Jirachi to enable it to outspeed potential threats in the late-game (I've been running T-wave Starmie as a lure, actually). Overall, it's a great set and something people shouldn't discount in the Monotype meta, despite the obvious utility of a Scarf set.

Z-stone + Draco Meteor (or Fleur Cannon)
Sticking with the idea of new wallbreakers in the gen7 metagame, this is something I was trying out on the ladder today.

Latios @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- (w/e coverage your team needs)
- Calm Mind
- Roost

The idea is to use the z-move to get off two extremely strong hits on a switch-in. For instance, Devastating Drake followed by a regular Draco Meteor from Latios is roughly the same damage output as two full power LO Draco Meteors—if LO Draco would do >50%, this combination will 2HKO. Against many Monotype teams, that means you get a free KO. I've paired it w/ a CM set on Latios thus far, but it doesn't really need that to do its job (CM + Roost just makes for a nice wincon, which my team lacked). There are many different ways you could take this set. For instance, this idea + Memento to prevent it from being setup bait, or to enable something like Zygarde a free setup opportunity after you've broken open the opponent's team.

However, where I think this idea can really shine is on Magearna. In this case, you get the boost(s) after nuking stuff, which keeps it from neutering itself like Latios does.

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD (Speed EVs if you use Shift Gear)
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Calm Mind / Shift Gear
- Aura Sphere / other coverage

I haven't gotten a chance to try this Magearna set out much in practice (just a couple room tour battles where it seemed pretty good), but I'll be on the ladder tomorrow with a Steel team featuring this set.

Last edited:

FellFromtheSky

and started walking.
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The idea is to use the z-move to get off two extremely strong hits on a switch-in. For instance, Devastating Drake followed by a regular Draco Meteor from Latios is roughly the same damage output as two full power LO Draco Meteors—if LO Draco would do >50%, this combination will 2HKO. Against many Monotype teams, that means you get a free KO. I've paired it w/ a CM set on Latios thus far, but it doesn't really need that to do its job (CM + Roost just makes for a nice wincon, which my team lacked). There are many different ways you could take this set. For instance, this idea + Memento to prevent it from being setup bait, or to enable something like Zygarde a free setup opportunity after you've broken open the opponent's team.

However, where I think this idea can really shine is on Magearna. In this case, you get the boost(s) after nuking stuff, which keeps it from neutering itself like Latios does.

Magearna @ Fairium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD (Speed EVs if you use Shift Gear)
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Calm Mind / Shift Gear
- Aura Sphere / other coverage

I haven't gotten a chance to try this Magearna set out much in practice (just a couple room tour battles where it seemed pretty good), but I'll be on the ladder tomorrow with a Steel team featuring this set.
I actually tried a very similar Magearna set out earlier today on a TR Fairy Team, and definitely seemed effective in the few games I played with it. Aside from Fleur and Flash Cannon, I also ran Trick Room (obviously) and Volt Switch--which actually seemed to pair nicely with Fleur Cannon, as after it's SpA started to drop (which would be after one Twinkle Tackle and two Fleur Cannons) it could pivot out nicely, providing a nice slow Volt Switch (TR usually had run off by then) to whatever was appropriate (often Tapu Bulu or Lele for me).

Magearna @ Fairium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk, 0 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Trick Room

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)