Skarmory

One thing that I think will hinder Skarmory this gen is the fact that Shed Shell is nowhere to be seen. As far as I can tell, there's no way to get it in-game
iirc wild scraggy can hold it. I'm not sure how but I have 2 shed shells in my black version.

Skarmory is easily the best defensive pokemon in the metagame right now. EV'd correctly, it'll easily take on Lati@s, Tyranitar with a fire attack, Rankurusu, and so many other threats. And it'll always beat Doryuuzu and Randorosu, barring crazy crits and hax. Quite underrated for such a full stop to many teams.
+2 Rando in Sandstorm vs SpD Skarm: 71.3% - 83.8%
vs Pdef Skarm: 53.9% - 64.1%

...nah.

Also, didja mean Tyranitar without a fire attack?

...CBtar still rips chunks out of it with Stone Edge...

And Pdef Skarm doesn't like +1 LO Rank Focus Blast...

Skarmory is still Skarmory. He is THE physical defense and an average special defender because of his typing. But I think Sheer Force Darmanitan breaks through it. Creepers.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Skarmory is still Skarmory. He is THE physical defense and an average special defender because of his typing. But I think Sheer Force Darmanitan breaks through it. Creepers.
Sheer Force Darmanitan breaks through everything, especially if it's weak to fire. That's not saying much.

Very few people still actually use Max attack CB Tar, especially with speed EVs. Mostly Mixed, Scarf, or Specially Defensive with CB. Skarm will beat those barring ones with Fire Blast and a lot of Special Attack.

As a general physical wall, I found Gliscor more suitable than Skarmory this generation, with all the fighting types roaming around, resisting their STAB is ever so important, not to mention Gliscor has faster Taunt, and the reliable Acrobat to put those fighters at check, also has pseudo-status immunity with Poison Heal.

Of course Skarmory still can physical wall, and also has its merit in terms of Spikes support (and Stealth Rock since most Gliscor are poison heal anyway), and Sturdy.

Even if Drill Peck and whirwind is illegal, you can breed one with drill peck, teach it roar from a tm, and transfer it

I dont know if theyre is a major differance between roar and whirlwind though

Even if Drill Peck and whirwind is illegal, you can breed one with drill peck, teach it roar from a tm, and transfer it

I dont know if theyre is a major differance between roar and whirlwind though
Roar doesn't work on Soundproof Pokemon. Not a major concern, just enough to make Whirlwind preferable over Roar when it's available.

I know i'm late, but I saw an interesting skarm set on pokemon online.

I'm not sure about evs or nature, though.

Skarmory @ leftovers
Ability: Breakable Armor

-Drill Peck
-Swords Dance
-Guard Swap
-Whirlwind/Rock Slide/whatever

it looks stupid, but it worked once (on me lol) so I felt like mentioning it.
Set up an unexpected swords dance as your opponent hopefully hits you with a few physical moves, lowering defense but increasing speed because of breakable armor. Now that your very quick, use guard swap to saddle your defensive stat drops on your opponent, leaving you with +2 attack, +1 or 2 speed, and good defenses, while your opponent is left with a few defense drops, leaving you to do some damage with drill peck. Great to bring in on conkeldurr, who usually trys for a few bulk ups thinking you can do nothing but whirlwind, until you nab his defense boosts with guard swap and murder his team =)

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I know i'm late, but I saw an interesting skarm set on pokemon online.

I'm not sure about evs or nature, though.

Skarmory @ leftovers
Ability: Breakable Armor

-Drill Peck
-Swords Dance
-Guard Swap
-Whirlwind/Rock Slide/whatever

it looks stupid, but it worked once (on me lol) so I felt like mentioning it.
Set up an unexpected swords dance as your opponent hopefully hits you with a few physical moves, lowering defense but increasing speed because of breakable armor. Now that your very quick, use guard swap to saddle your defensive stat drops on your opponent, leaving you with +2 attack, +1 or 2 speed, and good defenses, while your opponent is left with a few defense drops, leaving you to do some damage with drill peck. Great to bring in on conkeldurr, who usually trys for a few bulk ups thinking you can do nothing but whirlwind, until you nab his defense boosts with guard swap and murder his team =)
Obviously very gimmicky... but still, Drill Peck should be replaced with Brave Bird.

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Obviously very gimmicky... but still, Drill Peck should be replaced with Brave Bird.
Not going to comment on the set, but Skarmory can't have Brave Bird and Guard Swap at the same time. Both of them are egg moves, and Xatu is the only parent that can supply Guard Swap, and Xatu can't learn Brave Bird.

I'm thinking of using skarmory on my team. Would a shed Shell skarmory with max spdef be a good option? A spikes lead set or just the physical wall would do the job. (my other pokes are reuniclus, conkrldurr and hydreigon)

Not going to comment on the set, but Skarmory can't have Brave Bird and Guard Swap at the same time. Both of them are egg moves, and Xatu is the only parent that can supply Guard Swap, and Xatu can't learn Brave Bird.
But it is possible to breed drill peck and guard swap to skarmory

What would be the best nature for Skarmory: Carefull or Impish? And i'm wondering if i should use skarm as lead, or not. I think the lead has Careful with 252 Hp/252 Spdef/4 Def. BB/spikes/whirlwind or taunt/roost.

What would be the best nature for Skarmory: Carefull or Impish? And i'm wondering if i should use skarm as lead, or not. I think the lead has Careful with 252 Hp/252 Spdef/4 Def. BB/spikes/whirlwind or taunt/roost.
Impish as it raises defence and you aren't likely to use special attack.

Roost.

Yea. I guess i'm gonna go with this lead set:

Skarmory @ lefovers/shed shell
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Impish
Ev's: 252 Hp/252 SpDef/4 Def
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

This set can also come back mid-game to wall stuff

That set -is- gimmicky, but it sounds so satisfying! Downside is that it's situational. You have to find somebody to pound at it with physical attacks (Something with skill link would work, but both of Cloyster's are neutrally effective and the fifth one -will- kill you). Swords dancing up might make -them- switch to something defensive (And most physical walls also happen to be physically offensive), and at that point you can take it away.

It's an interesting set! You can still switch it in to take a hit off its defence easily. Reminds me of the swords-dance empoleon, where you swords dance once on the switch, and again as they realize you're going for power, and then sweep with aqua jet off a +4.

I don;t understand this sentence: 'You have to find somebody to pound at it with phisical attacks.' It that a pokemon to counter skarm?

The Spdef Ev's allow skarmory to whirlwind some special attackers away. I COULD go max def though.

I don;t understand this sentence: 'You have to find somebody to pound at it with phisical attacks.' It that a pokemon to counter skarm?

The Spdef Ev's allow skarmory to whirlwind some special attackers away. I COULD go max def though.
I believe he is referring to a set that has been posted a few posts above yours.

A well. I guess i'll ev train and breed 2 skarmory's. One with 252 Hp/252 SpDef/4 Def and the other with 252 Hp/252 Def/4 SpDef

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)