SINNOH CLASSIC

This is what I've learned so far. Obviously some of it might change when this metagame evolves in the coming days and people start preparing for stuff and finding viable cores...

Icy Wind Cresselia/Porygon2/Suicune/other very bulky mon + Dark Void Entrainment Moody Smeargle is ridiculous

Stored Power Latias/Latios/Clefable + Entrainment Moody Smeargle is probably completely nuts (I have not tried this out on the ladder yet, because I was testing other stuff, but damn. Imagine the possibilities.)

If you don't have a rock solid gameplan against Moody Entrainment, you will most likely lose. (RNG could screw the Moody user, but it's not that likely.)

Taunt Crobat needs support to actually kill this. Icy Wind can easily screw you since Crobat has no Prankster.

Prankster Taunt needs to be aware of support Infernape next to Smeargle and other Quick Guard users.

Weavile is a great mon.

You need a way to check Scizor in the rain.

Rain is not that great from what I've seen.

It's all about boosting shenanigans/tactics. (Moody Entrainment, CM Cress + Psych Up Raikou, Swords Dance Scizor, Cosmic Power Clefable, ...)

For some reason I'm not running Protect and I'm not missing Protect. Probably because most of my mons are really really bulky. I do have Spiky Shield on the Smeargle though.

Running a bunch of bulky RestTalk Moody targets and a Lum Infernape makes the Smeargle mirror very easy.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/sinnohclassic-392806045

Last edited:
Well, I guess I was right about the Smeargle cancer which is making me glad I'm not participating on cart. Also wanted to point out the regulations have been updated Phione and soul dew have banned and the battle timer was changed to 30 minutes. Still nothing on Regigigas though which wouldn't really matter except entrainment has become such a common strategy and I can't tell what is viable anymore.

This is what I've learned so far. Obviously some of it might change when this metagame evolves in the coming days and people start preparing for stuff and finding viable cores...

Icy Wind Cresselia/Porygon2/Suicune/other very bulky mon + Dark Void Entrainment Moody Smeargle is ridiculous

Stored Power Latias/Latios/Clefable + Entrainment Moody Smeargle is probably completely nuts (I have not tried this out on the ladder yet, because I was testing other stuff, but damn. Imagine the possibilities.)

If you don't have a rock solid gameplan against Moody Entrainment, you will most likely lose. (RNG could screw the Moody user, but it's not that likely.)

Taunt Crobat needs support to actually kill this. Icy Wind can easily screw you since Crobat has no Prankster.

Prankster Taunt needs to be aware of support Infernape next to Smeargle and other Quick Guard users.
Perish Song Lapras.

Weavile is a great mon.

You need a way to check Scizor in the rain.

Rain is not that great from what I've seen.

It's all about boosting shenanigans/tactics. (Moody Entrainment, CM Cress + Psych Up Raikou, Swords Dance Scizor, Cosmic Power Clefable, ...)

For some reason I'm not running Protect and I'm not missing Protect. Probably because most of my mons are really really bulky. I do have Spiky Shield on the Smeargle though.

Running a bunch of bulky RestTalk Moody targets and a Lum Infernape makes the Smeargle mirror very easy.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/sinnohclassic-392806045
Someone earlier said Murkrow isn't the best Prankster, and both the above quotes are SCREAMING for Haze and Perish Song.
Both of which, Murkrow has Prankster on, and you don't have to worry about Quick Guard / Spiky Shield at all.
I'm honestly putting serious consideration into Lapras, its an anti-rain god that spams Freeze-Dry, and Perish Song puts trolls on a timer. Icy Wind for support, ChestoRest for stopping the inevitable Toxic solution for Moody / Cress / P2.

Pory2 and Cress will be gods in this format.
Weavile will be a giant pain in the ass, I don't want to run Granbull again.

Well, I guess I was right about the Smeargle cancer which is making me glad I'm not participating on cart. Also wanted to point out the regulations have been updated Phione and soul dew have banned and the battle timer was changed to 30 minutes. Still nothing on Regigigas though which wouldn't really matter except entrainment has become such a common strategy and I can't tell what is viable anymore.
Smeargle seems to be a lot more popular on Showdown for some reason.

In my Johto classic testing, it was in every other match while i saw exactly one of them on cart. Hopefully it ends up the same way here.

Still, I'm not happy about DV shenanigans being readily available in this comp. If I end up not playing, that'll be the exact reason why.

Perish Song Lapras.

Someone earlier said Murkrow isn't the best Prankster, and both the above quotes are SCREAMING for Haze and Perish Song.
Both of which, Murkrow has Prankster on, and you don't have to worry about Quick Guard / Spiky Shield at all.
I'm honestly putting serious consideration into Lapras, its an anti-rain god that spams Freeze-Dry, and Perish Song puts trolls on a timer. Icy Wind for support, ChestoRest for stopping the inevitable Toxic solution for Moody / Cress / P2.
First, Perish Song is an effective way to deal with shit like this. I'm not saying that it isn't.

BUT

Lapras is slower than Smeargle, so slower than Dark Void. You have Chesto Berry? Cute. Smeargle has all kinds of support... like redirection and Fake Out and stuff.
Quick Guard Fighting-types are so good on teams like this and your Lapras will not enjoy their Close Combat to the face.
The Entrainment targets have enough bulk to pivot into and out of attacks to reset Perish Song counters.
If you decide to go the Perish Trap route with a Wobbuffet, prepare for your Shadow Tag to get entrained.
Psych Up Soundproof Mr. Mime.
There's also not much stopping this cancer from running it's own Taunt support, so go figure.
If your gameplan is to disrupt with Perish Song, but you can't get any KOs fast, your opponent might just try to get one kill and run down Timer. These mons are definitely bulky enough to stay alive until Timer runs out. Except for Smeargle obviously, but that thing has Dark Void, Spiky Shield and potential Evasion boosts to stay alive and waste time.
Even if you manage to kill the Smeargle and trade your Perish Songer/Hazer/Taunter/anti cancer mon for it, you're still facing a bunch of CM "CroSets" with a potential Psych Up mon in the back. GLHF

Haze doesn't remove Moody. If your Hazer and its partner can't apply enough offensive pressure to actually get kills, they could easily be worn down to a point where they fail.
Haze is another effective method to give this shit a major headache, but don't expect to just slap Haze on your team and be done with it. It won't work out like this.

I faced someone yesterday on the ladder, who almost got me. S/he killed the Smeargle, Skill Swap'd Moody from my Cresselia to himself with his Bronzong and got a bunch of useful boosts over the next turns.
You know why s/he lost? Sure, the Bronzong had Moody and started to accumulate boosts, but even with Moody, the Bronzong had no offensive presence whatsoever against Cresselia and neither did the Moody Smeargle...
The third mon was a LO Salamence, that might have liked Moody, but couldn't switch into Moonblast Cresselia without dying. I don't remember the fourth, but it died early on.
So I just started to CM without Moody and Cress turned this game from a 1vs3 to a victory for me.
Neutralizing Moody is one thing. You still need to get past those bulky behemoths. Random antimons with Haze, Perish Song, Roar, Encore or something can work, but they tend to have very limited offensive presence.

No matter how you twist and turn it, if you're facing a capable opponent with this kind of team, you are in for a ride...*

*you might still win though

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/sinnohclassic-392931210

Last edited:

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
Smeargle seems to be a lot more popular on Showdown for some reason.

In my Johto classic testing, it was in every other match while i saw exactly one of them on cart. Hopefully it ends up the same way here.

Still, I'm not happy about DV shenanigans being readily available in this comp. If I end up not playing, that'll be the exact reason why.
I think part of the reason for this is that getting all the right moves on Smeargle on the cart is a real pain in the ass. On Showdown it's all one click away but on the cart you have to spend lots of time leveling up the Smeargle to get Sketch plus you have to have pokemon that have the relevant moves so Smeargle can sketch them.

Also, because the cartridge doesn't show you the moody stat changes you have to track them yourself manually. Moody also turns the game into a massive luckfest and no one likes losing after spending half an hour on a single match. Smeargle is a lot easier to use on Showdown than on the cart and that really shows in the usage stats.

Also the number of games per day increased from 10 to 15. I've updated the first post accordingly.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nelson Tangela brought up the idea of Punishment Weavile. Not sure if that's perfect, but I might give that a try even if I don't expect it to be a great way to handle boosting stuff on its own, and giving up Feint or Low Kick is gonna be hard. It sounds like a way to at least screw with CM Cresselia!

Also, Psynergy has had success with a Weavile + Yanmega duo for offense, curious to see what he says about that! I'm very tempted to try out Yanmega myself, since it seems like one of the few Special Attacks that can seriously hurt Cresselia, plus Speed boost sounds pretty nice!

I can see pokemon like scarf gardevoir and heracross making an appearance as they can counter weavile as well as garde being able to take out the ever threatening garchomp, while heracross can do serious damage to cresselia before it gets to set up.

First, Perish Song is an effective way to deal with shit like this. I'm not saying that it isn't.

BUT

Lapras is slower than Smeargle, so slower than Dark Void. You have Chesto Berry? Cute. Smeargle has all kinds of support... like redirection and Fake Out and stuff.
Quick Guard Fighting-types are so good on teams like this and your Lapras will not enjoy their Close Combat to the face.
The Entrainment targets have enough bulk to pivot into and out of attacks to reset Perish Song counters.
If you decide to go the Perish Trap route with a Wobbuffet, prepare for your Shadow Tag to get entrained.
Psych Up Soundproof Mr. Mime.
There's also not much stopping this cancer from running it's own Taunt support, so go figure.
If your gameplan is to disrupt with Perish Song, but you can't get any KOs fast, your opponent might just try to get one kill and run down Timer. These mons are definitely bulky enough to stay alive until Timer runs out. Except for Smeargle obviously, but that thing has Dark Void, Spiky Shield and potential Evasion boosts to stay alive and waste time.
Even if you manage to kill the Smeargle and trade your Perish Songer/Hazer/Taunter/anti cancer mon for it, you're still facing a bunch of CM "CroSets" with a potential Psych Up mon in the back. GLHF

Haze doesn't remove Moody. If your Hazer and its partner can't apply enough offensive pressure to actually get kills, they could easily be worn down to a point where they fail.
Haze is another effective method to give this shit a major headache, but don't expect to just slap Haze on your team and be done with it. It won't work out like this.

I faced someone yesterday on the ladder, who almost got me. S/he killed the Smeargle, Skill Swap'd Moody from my Cresselia to himself with his Bronzong and got a bunch of useful boosts over the next turns.
You know why s/he lost? Sure, the Bronzong had Moody and started to accumulate boosts, but even with Moody, the Bronzong had no offensive presence whatsoever against Cresselia and neither did his Moody Smeargle...
The third mon was a LO Salamence, that might have liked Moody, but couldn't switch into Moonblast Cresselia without dying. I don't remember the fourth, but it died early on.
So I just started to CM without Moody and Cress turned this game from a 1vs3 to a victory for me.
Neutralizing Moody is one thing. You still need to get past those bulky behemoths. Random antimons with Haze, Perish Song, Roar, Encore or something can work, but they tend to have very limited offensive presence.

No matter how you twist and turn it, if you're facing a capable opponent with this kind of team, you are in for a ride...*

*you might still win though

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/sinnohclassic-392931210
Redirection + Smeargle is not going to save it from Perish or Haze, lol.
Fighting types are true, but Cress with Icy Wind isn't exactly obscure either.
Wobby is horrible in Dubz. Entrainment targets, yes, they can switch: which wipes their buffs, and resets ability. Not a bad trade imo.
Mr. Mime is... Mr. Mime. Double guards and Fake Out is great, but overall a really shitty mon. Closest thing it had to being "good" was VGC2014 (?) when it was Kalos-Dex only, and it was one of the precious few Icy Wind users, along with Dewgong, who similarly boasted Fake Out + Icy Wind. Even then: they were shitty, niche picks. I don't see Mr. Mime becoming an issue.
Keeping pressure up offensively is very true though, I don't argue this lol.

Haze doesn't get rid of moody itself, no, but it does wipe 4 turns of evasion + speed boosts even if they Protect. It does piss them off :P
I didn't plan on throwing a mindless, unsupported Haze / Lapras / Murkrow on the team either.

Not saying it isn't a major pain in the ass and anyone running it should be strung like Mussolini. I just plan on running gut-wrenching counter-cancer methods, and Perish Song is outright one of the most broken fuckfests in the game.
Murkrow so far sounds really fun. Prankster Perish Song, Haze, Thunder Wave, and Taunt to choose from.

Oh and Heracross, Hera is actually really good in Doubles if you know how to use it, I run it on BSD. Roar / Whirlwind is a viable, Protect+Sub piercing answer to boosters too.
I could see Haze / Perish / Taunt Gengar being good too; nails Cress, immune to Fake Out.

Redirection + Smeargle is not going to save it from Perish or Haze, lol.
Dark Void. If you think that Moody is the main problem, you're wrong.
D.a.r.k. V.o.i.d.

Fighting types are true, but Cress with Icy Wind isn't exactly obscure either.
No idea what you mean by that or how a Cresselia would save a Freeze-Dry, Perish Song, Rest, Sleep Talk Lapras from a Close Combat, but whatever. A dead Lapras is a Lapras without a singing voice.

Wobby is horrible in Dubz. Entrainment targets, yes, they can switch: which wipes their buffs, and resets ability. Not a bad trade imo.
They lose their buffs and Moody. Now what? You still ain't doing much of anything to those bulky tanks. Especially with a Wobby on the field. That being said, I completely agree with you that Wobby is horrible in this environment and I don't see a Wobbuffet Perish Trap team doing well in this metagame.

Mr. Mime is... Mr. Mime. Double guards and Fake Out is great, but overall a really shitty mon. Closest thing it had to being "good" was VGC2014 (?) when it was Kalos-Dex only, and it was one of the precious few Icy Wind users, along with Dewgong, who similarly boasted Fake Out + Icy Wind. Even then: they were shitty, niche picks. I don't see Mr. Mime becoming an issue.
Comparing this to VGC14 makes no sense. These are vastly different metagames. Mr. Mime might not look like a threat to you and it is far from top tier anything, but if it gets that Psych Up off, it could be good and immune to Perish Song.
Metagross and Scizor being big kinda fucks it up very badly though. Agreed.
I've seen weirder stuff do serious work on the Sinnoh Classic ladder.

Keeping pressure up offensively is very true though, I don't argue this lol
Aye.

Haze doesn't get rid of moody itself, no, but it does wipe 4 turns of evasion + speed boosts even if they Protect. It does piss them off :P
Pissing someone off does not mean easy win. I know this... I've been running Smeargle for the past 24 hours and played like 100 games with it in this format.
I've encountered Haze maybe 5 times and neither of those times were my opponents able to back it up with adequate offensive pressure to actually make it hard for me to fish for Scald burns, Tri Attack hax or wear them down with Icy Wind.

I didn't plan on throwing a mindless, unsupported Haze / Lapras / Murkrow on the team either
Good. :P

Not saying it isn't a major pain in the ass and anyone running it should be strung like Mussolini. I just plan on running gut-wrenching counter-cancer methods, and Perish Song is outright one of the most broken fuckfests in the game.
Murkrow so far sounds really fun. Prankster Perish Song, Haze, Thunder Wave, and Taunt to choose from
Murkrow would probably feel like a wasted teamslot against any matchup that isn't outright cancer 101. I also wouldn't expect many Moody Entrainment Smeargle during the actual competition on cartridge, since that would be very annoying to use and keep track off, but you never know. Good luck with that.

Oh and Heracross, Hera is actually really good in Doubles if you know how to use it, I run it on BSD.
Regular Hearcross? Well it hits hard and learns Feint. I haven't seen anyone use it on the PS! ladder yet, so I don't know how viable it is. If it works for you, great.

Roar / Whirlwind is a viable, Protect+Sub piercing answer to boosters too
Does absolutely nothing if the opponent is down to his last two mons. Invites Smeargle to Dark Void for free. Meh.

I could see Haze / Perish / Taunt Gengar being good too; nails Cress, immune to Fake Out.
One on one, yes. This is doubles where that Gengar would often end up getting Icy Wind'd and then put to sleep or killed. Could work. Could also backfire hard.
Weavile and Scizor are both big here. Gengar hates them both with a burning passion. Especially if it's some weird support move Gengar with little offense.

Last edited:
Dark Void. If you think that Moody is the main problem, you're wrong.
D.a.r.k. V.o.i.d.

No idea what you mean by that or how a Cresselia would save a Freeze-Dry, Perish Song, Rest, Sleep Talk Lapras from a Close Combat, but whatever. A dead Lapras is a Lapras without a singing voice.

They lose their buffs and Moody. Now what? You still ain't doing much of anything to those bulky tanks. Especially with a Wobby on the field. That being said, I completely agree with you that Wobby is horrible in this environment and I don't see a Wobbuffet Perish Trap team doing well in this metagame.

Comparing this to VGC14 makes no sense. These are vastly different metagames. Mr. Mime might not look like a threat to you and it is far from top tier anything, but if it gets that Psych Up off, it could be good and immune to Perish Song.
Metagross and Scizor being big kinda fucks it up very badly though. Agreed.
I've seen weirder stuff do serious work on the Sinnoh Classic ladder.

Pissing someone off does not mean easy win. I know this... I've been running Smeargle for the past 24 hours and played like 100 games with it in this format.
I've encountered Haze maybe 5 times and neither of those times were my opponents able to back it up with adequate offensive pressure to actually make it hard for me to fish for Scald burns, Tri Attack hax or wear them down with Icy Wind.

Murkrow would probably feel like a wasted teamslot against any matchup that isn't outright cancer 101. I also wouldn't expect many Moody Entrainment Smeargle during the actual competition on cartridge, since that would be very annoying to use and keep track off, but you never know. Good luck with that.

Regular Hearcross? Well it hits hard and learns Feint. I haven't seen anyone use it on the PS! ladder yet, so I don't know how viable it is. If it works for you, great.

Does absolutely nothing if the opponent is down to his last two mons. Invites Smeargle to Dark Void for free. Meh.

One on one, yes. This is doubles where that Gengar would often end up getting Icy Wind'd and then put to sleep or killed. Could work. Could also backfire hard.
Weavile and Scizor are both big here. Gengar hates them both with a burning passion. Especially if it's some weird support move Gengar with little offense.
I've been doing Doubles for longer than Dark Void's un-ban. I know how to handle Dark Void, lol. Yes, it's a constant threat / pain in the ass, but measures like Chesto, Lum, Taunt, Sub, and Safeguard have all existed long before it was unbanned. There are, much to my dismay, zero Prankster + Safeguard mons, which stings, but I guess the "backup" of Lum + Safeguard will have to do. Lapras gets it but I probably won't run that specifically.

Cress? I meant that most Fighting types greatly dislike Cress, and even when she's asleep they have trouble breaking it. Helps deter Fighting for Lapras, or a switchin if needed. Not like Smeargle is helping much aside from possible Super Fang or switching out.
Magmar and Electabuzz might be funny though :P
VGC14 was radically different: the point is, that was the most success I have EVER seen for Mr. Mime outside of the Daycare, and it was still a pretty sad performance. "it could be good" with a bunch of Moody boosts applies to damn near everything in the game, lol.
Scizor and Metagross seem really good though, yeah.

By "Pissing off" I meant "rendering the last x amount of turns boosting useless while I pummel them to death and overall they accomplish much less than I do".
As for the fishing after: that's another reason I run Safeguard on almost every team. Fuck fishing. :P

Murkrow still offers T-Wave, and as we've seen from Thundurus in every meta ever, Prankster T-Wave is highly spammable and singlehandedly justifies a team slot alone for basically everyone who uses it: which is a lot of people. STAB Foul Play is cool too. Not a great mon overall, this is obvious, but considering the limited pool of Pranksters available, Murkrow really is among the very best. I mean, it's competing with Volbeat, Illumise, Riolu, and Sableye.

Heracross, nuh. It does get Feint but base Speed is just too iffy if you don't have solid Speed domination like Icy Wind + T-Wave. I run Scarf usually; hits stupidly hard, and checks fast things like Weavile. Bulky mons like Cress and Suicune get to stomach repeated Megahorns and such. Lack of Fairies in the meta massively buffs it, and no megas = highly spammable Knock Off, just like Weavile. Excellent mon, imo, but it's a big toss up between Hera and Scizor.

Roar isn't the best, but it's /something/ if anyone neeeds it. I mostly advocated it as a PerishTrap deterrent for BSD but it also works against stat buffs to some extent.

Gengar could be interesting. Besides my above post, it also has Icy Wind, and Scizor must always consider HP Fire (even if it is rare). It's always been a really nasty foe in Doubles, so if/when we get Viability ranks up I'd keep an eye out for Gengar. Very disruptive, and one of the faster attackers available right now. No shortage of checks (Weavile, Scizor, even Metagross can Zen Headbutt + bullet Punch) but imo could be good overall. It's just something I've been thinking about but haven't seen discussion on yet.

Ah, and discussion wise, what do we think of:

- Gengar (elaborated in last two posts)
- Gyarados (DD sweeper, or bulky Intimidate mon, or both)
- Skarmory (not joking)
- Togekiss (redirect, T-Wave, Tailwind, hax)
- Espeon (nasty with boosts, immune to Dark Void, Yawn)
- Latios / Latias (Stored power, CM booster set, Latias can run an array of support sets too like Icy Wind/T-Wave/Tailwind/Screens/etc)
- Hippowdon (sand inducer, good physical tank, Yawn, Whirlwind)
- Drapion / Houndoom / Honchkrow (the only other remotely decent Dark mons that can hit Cress / ghosts)
- Staraptor (Best bird ever, used Brave Bird before it was cool, Talonflame doesn't exist, Intimidate and Tailwind supports, Reckless STAB LO death machine and only good Flying coverage on the market, Final Gambit Scarf set)

Beyond obvious, good stuff like Weavile and Infernape.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Speaking of Gyarados, I'm sorta thinking about testing a Taunt set of some sort. Not sure if I want it to be DD + Taunt or a bulky Taunt set, but having a mon with Taunt and Intimidate sounds pretty neat in this metagame. Plus, it totally walls Infernape.

Something pretty nasty about Togekiss btw is that it gets Psych Up. If you Psych Up something like your own CM Cresselia, it can be a HUGE bastard to take down! Psych Up in general seems pretty strong in this metagame with all the bulky boosters around. I've even heard of people using Belly Drum Azumarill + Psych Up Metagross!

I've been thinking about testing the other Dark-types as well. Interesting thing about Honchkrow is that it could also run Insomnia to make itself immune to sleep. Was sorta thinking about a sash set, but that clashes with Brave Bird and its not like Honchkrow is particularly fast either, so I'm not quite sure what I wanna do with that yet. Not really sure about Houndoom since that sounds super weak to rain, but on the plus side, its a Dark-type that owns the crap outta Scizor, which sounds unique! I also saw one Drapion, seemed like it was some offensive thing with Knock Off, but I heard some people were trying out Accupressure as well.

I was thinking of going with a sand team for this. I also like Rain or Sun, but HailRoom sounds awesome.

One of these days I am going to master a weather or TR team.

I also really want to use my Prankster Shiny Volbeat. Having Rain Dance on him cuts Fire attacks, plus I use Trick and Iron Ball to slow down the opponent or bring Flyers/Levitate to the ground.

Believe it or not Volbeat can be fairly tanky. I usually run Rain Dance/Trick/Seismic Toss/ and switch between Tailwind/Helping Hand/Encore/Thunder Wave/Roost.

HP and SpD investment works well, try to avoid physical attackers. Rock is his worst enemy.

Charm Prankster Illumise is nice as well, but she only gets Seismic Toss in FRLG as a Move Tutor.

EDIT: Mr Mime with Filter. Wide Guard/Quick Guard/ Icy Wind/Fake Out haha

I don't think smergal strategy will have any major success in the actually competition. The actually competition going to have a timer. If you try and use this strategy you'll probably just get timer stalled.

I don't think smergal strategy will have any major success in the actually competition. The actually competition going to have a timer. If you try and use this strategy you'll probably just get timer stalled.
This.

I'm not advocating the use of this. I'm just trying to warn people about it while having some fun by trolling the PS ladder. I would never bring that to on cartridge Battle Spot. Trying to keep track of Moody alone would kill my fun...

The hard part is not counterteaming Smeargle strats, but doing it while preserving a decent matchup against everything else.

Also, Imprison Perish Song Missy.
I've tried it and it worked out alright so far.
You can still use it for the Perish Song, when you don't need to Imprison. Dark Void + Perish Song can be a disgusting lategame tactic. Though obviously a niche mon that you'd only bring to some matchups.

Oh and Trick would probably work against me, but I run RestTalk everything. Trick won't save you from Substitute Cresselia, which I've seen win games on the PS ladder. Further Trick, like Entrainment itself, is redirectable.
(Another reason to run Follow Me Smeargle)

Best game I've played in this format yet.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/sinnohclassic-393650955

Last edited:
Are there any good Fire-types with Heat Wave that work well in Trick Room? Without no Heatran or Chandelure or Mega Camerupt I'm not sure where to look.

Are there any good Fire-types with Heat Wave that work well in Trick Room? Without no Heatran or Chandelure or Mega Camerupt I'm not sure where to look.
ERUPTION TORKOAL SWEEP GO

Regular Camerupt is still slow as balls and 105 isn't that bad with Camerupt's coverage options. Misses Sheer Force + mega boost, yes, but still reasonably strong.

Not joking when I say this, but Flareon could be a very potent mixed attacker under TR. Heat Wave for spread, Flare Blitz to really slam foes; you can activate Flash Fire yourself or run Guts + Toxic Orb. I used to run a Flash Fire + Charcoal mixed Arcanine; even by Gen 6 standards that set hit on par with Char-Y specially and Darmanitan physically. Flareon would be a TR niche of that. Granted: I ran it on a Drought team.

Magmortar's awkward Speed could work for TR; it's just a tad slower than Cresselia. It's similar to Heatran overall, just with no bulk, worse typing, and Thunderbolt instead of Earth Power.

tl;dr nothing with STAB, no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)