SV OU Sinistcha Hazard Stack Stall - Peaked #50, 1877 ELO

Sinistcha Hazard Stack Stall

:sinistcha: :gliscor: :blissey: :talonflame: :dondozo: :toxapex:

Importable Paste -
https://pokepast.es/de86c0fc9045d605

Proof of Peak -
peak!.png

Team Introduction -
This team began with me messing around in the teambuilder and coming to the realization that many other people had likely already come to:

The only defogger in the OU tier is :corviknight:(which gets completely destroyed by :gholdengo:, one of the most common mons in the tier) and the only viable sources of hazard removal in the tier came from :great tusk: and :iron treads:

I know many people had already come to that discovery, but this struck a chord with me. I figured that if I could fit a ghost type onto a stall team, I could pressure opponents through hazards into not being able to perform the maneuvers necessary to break through the team.

Without further ado... the team!
Sinistcha:sv/sinistcha:
Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 8.19.42 PM.png

The choice of spin blocker came down to :sinistcha: or :gholdengo:. Despite :gholdengo: being able to block Defog as well, I went with :sinistcha: for 3 big reasons:
1. :sinistcha:'s grass typing is much better suited to this role than :gholdengo:'s steel typing is, as the two biggest spinners are ground types(:great tusk: and :iron treads:)
2. Said grass typing allows :sinistcha: to check :ogerpon-wellspring:, a Pokémon that tends to give stall some trouble
3. Matcha Gotcha is a really awesome move
:sinistcha: takes about 35-40 from Ice Spinner or Knock Off from :great tusk: and :iron treads: and can recover HP using Matcha Gotcha or Strength Sap. Opponent wants to go to :gholdengo: or :hatterene: to stop Strength Sap? Shadow Ball does 70-80 ish to :gholdengo: and about 60-70 to :hatterene:. All the while, it prevents Rapid Spin and forces hazard damage on anything not carrying Heavy-Duty Boots. I personally think :sinistcha: is criminally underrated, especially on stall.
Gameplay tips for :sinistcha:: be careful of having you Strength Sap stopped by :gholdengo: or :hatterene:, and punish things like :ogerpon-wellspring: setting up in front of you with Foul Play. You generally don't want to Terastallize :sinistcha:, only in extreme emergencies.

Gliscor :sv/gliscor:
Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 8.38.41 PM.png

:gliscor: has become almost mandatory on Post-DLC stall. It is the best spike setter in the game, a fantastic Knock Off absorber once Toxic Orb has activated, has crazy passive healing and status immunity due to Poison Heal, and is currently getting suspect tested. Spikes, Toxic, and Protect are almost mandatory, and I threw in Knock Off to catch some opposing :gliscor: before their Toxic Orb activates or get rid of some Heavy-Duty Boots or Choice Items, since nothing else on the team has Knock Off.
EVs are optimized to prevent any rounding shenanigans.
Some playstyle tips for :gliscor:: You can stay in on most physical attackers to set up Spikes, including Ice Spinner Pokémon like :great tusk:, since they will only do about 70-75% and you can get 24% of that back by protecting the next turn. Squeeze as much passive recovery out of Poison Heal as you possibly can. You generally don't want to Terastallize :gliscor:.

Blissey :sv/blissey:
Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 8.41.03 PM.png

:blissey:, on the other had, HAS been mandatory on almost every stall team throughout all of Gen 9. :blissey: is the best answer out there to the multitude of special attackers in the meta, including :gholdengo:, :iron moth:, and :walking wake:. Although it is not the team's primary answer to :manaphy:, it can also work as a check for it, especially if it is not under rain. It is also the Stealth Rock setter of the team. :blissey: very much enjoys :sinistcha:'s spinblocking support, as in this increasingly power-crept meta, it can often only afford to set up rocks once or twice during faster paced games. Tera Dark is there to handle Psyshock and Stored power Pokémon such as :gholdengo:, :hatterene:, and :manaphy:. I used Shadow Ball over Seismic Toss on this set because :gholdengo: has started running other options specifically to beat :blissey: and otherwise the team becomes very weak to :gholdengo:.
Gameplay tips for :blissey:: Do everything in your power to prevent :blissey: from being tricked a Choice item. This is especially relevant in the case of :gholdengo:. If :gholdengo: switches in and doesn't reveal an Air Balloon or Leftovers, go to :toxapex: first to scout for Trick, as a tricked :toxapex: is much more useful than a tricked :blissey:.

Talonflame :sv/talonflame:
Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 9.04.12 PM.png
:talonflame: provides crucial burn support for the team, especially against threats like Choice Band :rillaboom:, Choice Band :ogerpon:, and Tera Dark Black Glasses :kingambit: that has become increasingly popular Post-DLC. Flame Body's 30% chance to proc on any contact move can win games on the spot, and it often does. It also has Will-O-Wisp to spread burns manually and Defog to get rid of hazards, which is the sole reason :talonflame: is used over :moltres:. U-turn is there to help against :heatran:, as without it that matchup is almost hopeless.
Gameplay tips for :talonflame:: This should be your primary switch-in to :kingambit:, even before :dondozo:(unless gambit has already been burned). With :talonflame:, the biggest thing to be aware of is Knock Off. A 4x weakness to rocks is crippling, and keeping :talonflame:'s boots is pivotal. Generally against Choice Band mons you want to burn like :rillaboom:, scout first with protect and then go to talonflame if they're not using Knock.

Dondozo :sv/dondozo:
Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 9.15.21 PM.png

:dondozo: has been on almost every serious stall team for the entirety of SV. It has been able to tank endless amounts from all kinds of setup sweepers while not worrying about their boosts. :dondozo: counters the likes of :kingambit:, :dragonite:, :ceruledge:, :sneasler:, :zamazenta:, :great tusk:, :samurott-hisui: with Swords Dance, and many more. Even though :dondozo: is not my primary check to :ogerpon-wellspring:, I chose to go with Avalanche over Waterfall/Liquidation because I don't want to take any chances with :ogerpon-wellspring:, as it already gives stall a fair bit of trouble. Additionally, it hits Pokémon like :rillaboom: and :dragonite: for super effective damage instead of resisted damage and makes those matchups all that much easier.
Gameplay tips for :dondozo:: Avoid getting your boots Knocked Off. If your opponent is able to chip you down with hazards into a spot where they can kill you, that can cause you to lose the game on the spot to a setup sweeper. In addition, before most physical attackers set up, it is often better to attempt to burn them with :talonflame: so that :dondozo: has an easier time dealing with them. Tera Fighting is to deal with the best Pokémon in the tier, :kingambit:, especially the Black Glasses Tera Dark versions.

Toxapex :sv/toxapex:
Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 9.34.49 PM.png

In the last slot, I was looking for both a Regenerator Pokémon and a Future Sight answer, as I did not have one yet. :toxapex:, as a poison type, may not seem like a very good Future Sight answer. However, when you Terastallize to a Steel type, you will find that :toxapex: takes very little damage from Future Sight. In addition, it punishes seemingly risk free moves like U-turn from :rillaboom:, :cinderace:, or :dragapult: and Flip Turn from :alomomola: and :walking wake: with Baneful Bunker. Toxapex also provides the team with a somewhat consistent answer to :manaphy:, especially if rain is not up. Toxapex is also the team's Volt Switch answer. While this moveset may look bad from the perspective that it can't do anything to Steel or Poison types, the rest of the team is very well equipped to handle those types and I have found this moveset to be perfectly adequate and it does its job quite well.
Gameplay tips for :toxapex:: :toxapex: is a super utility Pokémon for this team. Against :slowking-galar:(or any Future Sight Pokémon), pivot in :toxapex: as they use Future Sight. Use Haze as they switch out of use Chilly reception, and then Terastallize into a Steel type and Baneful Bunker. This can often catch a lot of physical attacker off-guard and hit them with a crucial poison. Additionally, vs any :gholdengo: that has not revealed an item, go to :toxapex: first to scout for Trick UNLESS you need :toxapex: to absorb Future Sight. In addition, if you know for a FACT that :toxapex: lives a hit(like an Earthquake from a :great tusk:, for example), you can stay in and Toxic and then switch out and regain health over time with Regenerator.

Major Threats:
:slowking-galar: + :gholdengo:(Trick + Nasty Plot): :slowking-galar: providing the threat of Future Sight makes it difficult to justify switching :toxapex: into Trick, meaning that :blissey: will take the Choice item and make it significantly more difficult to beat the Nasty Plot :gholdengo:

:heatran:: :heatran: pretty much destroys this team unless you are able to predict their plays. While you do have U-turn :talonflame: to minimize casualties, :talonflame: is faster than all :heatran:, which means something else will have to take the incoming Magma Storm. The only Pokémon on the team that can escape from it happens to be :Sinistcha:, which is not spdef invested and takes a lot of damage from Magma Storm.

:ursaluna:: while :sinistcha: does have a decent matchup vs :ursaluna:, especially for a stall team, :ursaluna: still does a ridiculous amount of damage with coverage moves like Ice Punch, and under Trick Room it can 2HKO :sinistcha:

Tera Dark Black Glasses Fallen 5 :kingambit:: While normally you should be fine between :talonflame: and :dondozo:, things can get dicey if you have to use your tera on something else and it gets off the tera and you don't have a burn on it.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1980525394 vs Future Sight and :crawdaunt: and :Ursaluna: AND Tera Dark Black Glasses :Kingambit:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1977788298 vs Heatran (before I added U-turn over flame thrower to :talonflame:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1981056743 vs CB Adamant :ogerpon: with a grassy terrain team

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1977108076 vs THREE Choice Scarf users with trick. Yes, three.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1976729484 vs Rain, :sinistcha: does its job and keeps hazards up
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1976355744 vs a team that was crazy fun to play against

Acknowledgments:
Much thanks to the entire Stall Empire discord server for helping me with the team, especially quacc and SupaGmoney for building advice and Vailorn(couldn't find their account :psycry: ) for help testing.
Additional thanks to Highv0ltag3 for organizing and running the Stall Empire. Without that server I would still be stuck in 1600s. An invite link to Stall Empire you can find here: https://discord.gg/rJhJVv5f8v
And thank you SO MUCH to matte for deleting my post when I accidentally posted this when I only had Sinistcha finished. I owe you one.

Small note: If you prefer, you could replace :toxapex: with tera steel unaware spdef:clefable: with similar results. However, I prefer :toxapex:.

Attachments

Last edited:
i know your doing good with this team, but i was wondering why you have a defogger. your team is essentially full hdbs besides :gliscor: who doesnt care abt hazards anyways. even if you do get hit by knock off, which :gliscor: absorbs, wouldn't a pokemon like :moltres: do you better, with its bulk, than :talonflame:?

i know your doing good with this team, but i was wondering why you have a defogger. your team is essentially full hdbs besides :gliscor: who doesnt care abt hazards anyways. even if you do get hit by knock off, which :gliscor: absorbs, wouldn't a pokemon like :moltres: do you better, with its bulk, than :talonflame:?
That makes sense. The choice between :talonflame: and :moltres: usually comes down to preference. I prefer the emergency option to defog just in case something goes wrong.

Sorry for posting again :psynervous:.
Like the above comment by MuZe I would like to ask your opinion on PhysDef Cresselia. With Moonlight, FSight, Protect and Twave or any other move u want, could i take Gliscors place. it can have leftovers and is a ground immunity. So, is it a viable replacement option?

hey everyone, I am currently working on remolding the team now that gliscor has been banned. Please give me a few days to test options and I will get back to you.
I'd say Mandi could possibly be sub for Talonflame now that Gliscor is gone. You lose yourFlame Body switch in and will-o-wisp which sucks but you get in return knock off/slow u turn that can let you pivot easier, on top of being more bulky than talon anyways.

Sorry for posting again :psynervous:.
Like the above comment by MuZe I would like to ask your opinion on PhysDef Cresselia. With Moonlight, FSight, Protect and Twave or any other move u want, could i take Gliscors place. it can have leftovers and is a ground immunity. So, is it a viable replacement option?
Hey sorry for leaving this for so long, I spent a little time testing this idea because I thought it had potential. While it does work sometimes, overall, it is a less than optimal knock absorber because it is weak to knock off. In addition, on a full stall team, typically you would prefer to inflict burn or poison over paralysis. It could also make for a decent future sight absorber but I don't think it gets enough moves to make it a viable replacement for gliscor on this team. Thank you for your idea!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)