Simulator

What's your opinion on an official battle simulator?

• I like it, it's also viable for GF/Nin to make and sell.

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • I like it, but it's not viable.

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • I'm undecided.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I don't like it, but it's a viable product.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don't like it and I don't think it's viable.

Votes: 17 37.0%

• Total voters
Hey guys, I'm new to Smogon (not really new to Pokémon though :P) so I thought I'd join and see how I did at this competitive battling lark. Hence, if I put this thread in the wrong place, I apologise, would someone please move it to where it should be? Although, that's not really what I made this thread about.

As I'm sure almost all of you know what a battle simulator is, especially the very popular Shoddy Battle which is the most used at the moment. People are using it because it allows you to build teams of level 100 Pokémon with ease, along with custom EVs and IVs (and consequently custom hidden power types). While these are changeable in the cartridge games, they're not as easily changed as they are on simulators (extensive breeding, EV training etc). Yet, while these advantages are present in the simulators, the cartridge games are used for official tournaments, because they're the official Pokémon games.

But what am I getting at here? Well, I think that Game Freak should produce a battle simulator for the DS, which is formatted to look exactly the same as a battle on the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum cartridge games. Ideally, it would have a team builder screen with fully customiseable EVs, IVs, Movepool (obviously within the boundaries of what the Pokémon can learn in the games), very similar to the simulators we use at the moment. I think that it would be beneficial not only for us because it would allow us to easily build teams without spending lots of time training and breeding, then trying to get hold of valuable TMs which are rarely found in game (Earthquake, Explosion, Thunderbolt etc). It could also be compatible with the Battle Frontier in Platinum, allowing us to test teams against AI opponents as well as real human opponents over the wifi. It would also benefit Game Freak and Nintendo as well, since they'd sell copies to the competitive player base as well as keeping the sales of the mainstream games high. Not only that, but they would sell copies to the players that had been reluctant to try competitive battling before because of the time required, expanding our community even more.

Finally, I believe that this simulator should be used at tournaments. Not only would this increase the number of people in attendance at a tournament (people would find making teams much easier and would be more encouraged to try competitive battling, and attempt to attend or host tournaments), benefiting tournament organisers and Game Freak (I think that they advertise their products at official tournaments, correct me if I'm wrong though), but it would also mean that more people would be able to compete and have a good time at tournaments.

I'm planning to contact Game Freak and Nintendo with an idea like this (through e-mail probably), but in the meantime, could you tell me your opinion? Do you think it's a good idea, and do you think it would be viable for Game Freak to make a game like this?

If something like this has been suggested before, I'm sorry. I just personally think it would be a really good idea and something that can benefit competitive battlers everywhere.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I believe this is a good idea, however I see it being shot down, since Game Freak (and Nintendo in its entirety) cannot take fan-based ideas and turn them into full-fledged games.

Sorry, but it's probably better to fanboy this than try to go anywhere with it (Darkartisan would know what I'm talking about).

This idea is not good..

You are basically saying "Let's take out everything about Pokémon that requires effort!"

You want the game to be customizable as that? That is what AR/GS/Pokesav were made for. Making a simulator like this available in-game would completely defeat the point of a large aspect of breeding; if you don't want to work hard for Pokémon with flawless IVs, the correct hidden power, and suitable EV spread, then use a cheat device. There is no way Nintendo/Game Freak/Pokémon Company would ever make such activity 'legal'.

bah.

What you are really asking for is a version of Shoddy that shows the battle animations, really. :P

Meh, it was just an idea :P
I was asking for a version of Shoddy that was official and was on the DS. I just thought it would make competitive battling outside of computer simukators easier for everybody.

But yeah, It's just an idea, and obviously one that people aren't really into (looking at the poll results, anyway).

It would also stop sales of other Pokemon games. Why buy HG or SS if you already can just battle officially, and not worry about tutors in that game?

That's true, but it wouldn't stop them completely (I know I'd still buy HG/SS). Maybe it could be an add-on for the cartridge games, so that they can still sell them?

It would utterly destroy the wifi market. And plus, with Shoddy you can play online with people and stuff. You can't do that in a cartridge even with hacking. With Shoddy you can jump easily into a battle with your team.

What percentage of all the people who buy Pokemon games are competitive battlers? It's probably fairly small considering how members of the younger fan base don't go into competitive battling at very high rates. The simulator you are suggesting would sell to too few people since most Pokemon players aren't competitive battlers. And why wouldn't competitive battlers just use Shoddy anyway?

Yeah, how would they advertise it? Pokemon for serious players? How would they stop little kids from buying it and getting mad?

(Then again, little kids would probably wet their pants if they could have all the pokemon they wanted.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)