Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Given that the bad politics of evasion clause is going into question in the main thread...

Unaware vs Sand Veil/Snow Cloak. Does it ignore it like Unaware vs Competitive? Or do Veil/Cloak bypass Unaware like Proto/Quark does?
It works like unaware vs choice items so unaware mons can miss against those abilities and bright powder.

Shaymin Sky

You, no, all of you, are my repentance.
is a Community Contributor
What does dragon Tera do to tusk? It’s in the index
Admittedly dragon as a Tera typing for Great-Tusk is quite poor in comparison to its other common Tera's (Water/Steel most notably), so it's highly likely dragon on Great-Tusk was just an old set from earlier in the meta. It's purpose is to remove the water, and psychic weakness while still giving you some sort of answer to volt switch and thunderbolts but Water as a Tera type as well as the countless other Tera types Great Tusk runs atm clearly outclasses Tera Dragon as an option in the current meta.

Reactions: ken
Hello!

I found this pre home hazard stack hex team that I really liked :

https://pokepast.es/6d82a616c8146785
Team is by mind gaming and Nat.

I just like the idea of stacking hazards, spreading status and then finishing the mons with hex.
Could you help me do an after home updated version?

One thing I thought to improve woukd be to replace dragapult with gholdengo, to be able to prevent a defog of those build hazards. I used the standards defensive set. But with this you don't have any speed control.. Maybe hisui samurott could also be a good exchange for something.
I would be happy for some suggestions :)

Last edited:
So, getting into competitive. Finally. Weird, right?

a) what Mons should I use?
b) Besides String Cheese Man, what mons do I look out for?

So, getting into competitive. Finally. Weird, right?

a) what Mons should I use?
b) Besides String Cheese Man, what mons do I look out for?
hey, welcome to OU. theres a lot of mons to use but generally, especially for new players, i recommend using mons that you feel comfortable using that are still strong. i recommend using some of the sample teams here and see what you enjoy and get used to the metagame, and then you can start building your own teams, choose a team that looks fun to you and any of the teams here are solid and viable. theres also some more in the OU room if you do the command !rfaq in there. Here is the link to the samples currently on the forum though: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sv-ou-sample-teams.3712513/

as far as mons to look out for, generally the viability rankings is a great resource: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sv-ou-post-home-viability-ranking-thread.3723863/ which basically assigns a rank to all the mons based on how well they perform their roles in the metagame. sometimes, depending on the team you use you'll need to look out for different mons, but generally when teambuilding I like to prepare answers for the major offensive threats like Kingambit, Baxcalibur, Valiant, Dragapult, and Enamorus and then make sure your team has answers to strong defensive mons like hazard setters, status spreaders, and other bulky mons from fulfilling their role or chipping your team down too much.

I'll also link a discord made by my guy njnp which is dedicated to helping players improve at mons, specifically OU. theres also some resources in there pinned in #general-ou-discussion like teams and guides to help you play better. https://discord.gg/P7ag6GHfuU

hey, welcome to OU. theres a lot of mons to use but generally, especially for new players, i recommend using mons that you feel comfortable using that are still strong. i recommend using some of the sample teams here and see what you enjoy and get used to the metagame, and then you can start building your own teams, choose a team that looks fun to you and any of the teams here are solid and viable. theres also some more in the OU room if you do the command !rfaq in there. Here is the link to the samples currently on the forum though: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sv-ou-sample-teams.3712513/

as far as mons to look out for, generally the viability rankings is a great resource: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sv-ou-post-home-viability-ranking-thread.3723863/ which basically assigns a rank to all the mons based on how well they perform their roles in the metagame. sometimes, depending on the team you use you'll need to look out for different mons, but generally when teambuilding I like to prepare answers for the major offensive threats like Kingambit, Baxcalibur, Valiant, Dragapult, and Enamorus and then make sure your team has answers to strong defensive mons like hazard setters, status spreaders, and other bulky mons from fulfilling their role or chipping your team down too much.

I'll also link a discord made by my guy njnp which is dedicated to helping players improve at mons, specifically OU. theres also some resources in there pinned in #general-ou-discussion like teams and guides to help you play better. https://discord.gg/P7ag6GHfuU
I'll check those out! Kinda sad Volcarona was booted to Uber, but also excited to see it skyrocket to new heights. I'll try my hand at the sample teams, see what I like. I have some competitive knowledge due to Freezai, FSG, and whatnot.

I'll let you know my findings. For now, off to the battlefield~

For the Sun Walking Wake team, may I ask why :hatterene:'s there?

For the Sun Walking Wake team, may I ask why :hatterene:'s there?
Dedicated Sun teams have never liked dealing with hazards, even with the advent of HDB. Magic Bounce Hat is good at denying hazards in most cases. It has some other utility but that's the main thing afaik

Edit: That team is outdated (pre-HOME) anyway, if I'm looking at the right one. Sun is still usable but less viable than it was right after Walking Wake released. For reference Torkoal is B- on the current VR and the dedicated Sun abusers that still exist are mostly in the B-C ranks.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
okie okie one last question, is there any specific way I should play Cress HO and that sun team?
Cress in HO should be used as an end game sweeper, setup screens if possible and remove the strongest physical attacker on the opposing team before you start to setup up Calm Mind with Cresselia.

Any standard sun team with Hatterene (Eject Pack), as long as there's no opposing weathers like Rain or Slowking (Snow) - lead with Torkoal, you can set up SR or you can automatically go to Hatterene to get hit and switch out to your Proto sweeper.

I'm trying to make Amarouge work in OU (also note how do I get the sprite?), any advice on how to do so, and what partners would fit well?

Trying what feels like a very high variance/matchup set, but I think it might be just trying to work something that frankly isn't very good in OU (or more likely, I'm not very good).

:ss/(Armarouge):

Armarouge @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Weak Armor
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Endure
- Armor Cannon

Last edited:
I'm trying to make Amarouge work in OU (also note how do I get the sprite?), any advice on how to do so, and what partners would fit well?

Trying what feels like a very high variance/matchup set, but I think it might be just trying to work something that frankly isn't very good in OU (or more likely, I'm not very good).
:ss/armarouge:
Armarouge @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Weak Armor
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Endure
- Armor Cannon
:ss/(pokemon):
there ya go :D

Hi, I'm new here, what do people mean by "Momentum?" Like when people say that "moves like U-turn, Volt Switch, and Teleport gain momentum, what do they mean by this? Thanks in advance!

Hi, I'm new here, what do people mean by "Momentum?" Like when people say that "moves like U-turn, Volt Switch, and Teleport gain momentum, what do they mean by this? Thanks in advance!
In this case, it's almost literally the dictionary definition - keeping the pressure on on turns where you're pivoting.

When you successfully press U-Turn or Volt Switch, you're dealing 70 BP more damage with a switch-out turn than you would if you had to hard-swap (e: Also, as artificialdeath posted, if the mon is fast, you're also getting a chance to swap in a resist / immunity, such as u-turn into a Ground type against Thunderbolt). Likewise, Chilly Reception (and Teleport) ensure that the opponent hits you before the switch, preserving the health of the mon that's coming in to hopefully counter your opponent's attack.

Other things that keep up momentum are stuff like Regenerator (healing and pivoting on the same turn), as well as things like Baton Pass and Shed Tail, which are banned because they're far too good at generating it!

It's kinda hard to actually explain, but I guess one way to put it would be the pressure (typically offensive pressure) you are currently putting on your opponent. If you have a fast pokemon like say Crobat (dexited and never OU viable but the first example to come to mind) using U-turn you get to deal damage and switch to something that gives you a favorable matchup against the opponent's mon, forcing them to switch out. Conversely defensive mons like Blissey without Teleport, Dondozo, and Clod are usually considered momentum sinks because they are slow and can force you to either manually switch or sack that mon if faced with a bad matchup. Obviously if they have Regenerator or a pivoting move this doesn't apply as much as they can either heal or pivot out into something. Maybe I missed the mark so someone can feel free to correct me here if so.

What mon breaks the Corviknight + Garganacl + Toxapex core?
Iron Hands can break all three, granted they don't tera. Substitute Walking Wake also does great here, if the pex isn't AV. That being said, usually you wouldn't rely on just one mon to crack a three mon defensive core like this, but on an offensive core of your own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)