Silly Things You've Seen On The OU Ladder!

So I'm laddering on Pokemon Online came across a man who's team was the following:
Opponent's team: Politoed / Ferrothorn / Golurk / Starmie / Espeon / Gyarados
So I assume he was a fairly good player as he was around 1350 so he obviously should know what he was doing. Wrong, the following are what I encountered:
  • Politoed
    • Fling + Light Ball
    • Surf > Scald
    • Blizzard
  • Ferrothorn
    • Stealth Rock
    • Seed Bomb > Power Whip
    • Curse
    • Thunder Wave
  • Golurk
    • Focus Sash + Rock Polish
    • Dynamic Punch
    • Ice Beam
  • Starmie
    • Trick + Choice Scarf
    • Thunder Wave
  • Espeon
    • Dual Screens - Reflect
    • Signal Beam
  • Gyarados
    • Earthquake
The only one of those sets that makes any sense is the gyarados set but earthquake just seems bizarre.

So I'm laddering on Pokemon Online came across a man who's team was the following:
Opponent's team: Politoed / Ferrothorn / Golurk / Starmie / Espeon / Gyarados
So I assume he was a fairly good player as he was around 1350 so he obviously should know what he was doing. Wrong, the following are what I encountered:
  • Politoed
    • Fling + Light Ball
    • Surf > Scald
    • Blizzard
  • Ferrothorn
    • Stealth Rock
    • Seed Bomb > Power Whip
    • Curse
    • Thunder Wave
  • Golurk
    • Focus Sash + Rock Polish
    • Dynamic Punch
    • Ice Beam
  • Starmie
    • Trick + Choice Scarf
    • Thunder Wave
  • Espeon
    • Dual Screens - Reflect
    • Signal Beam
  • Gyarados
    • Earthquake
The only one of those sets that makes any sense is the gyarados set but earthquake just seems bizarre.
A few things:

Surf on Politoed makes sense on a more offensive set, if you don't want to risk missing with Hydro Pump. But that guy had Blizzard...

That Ferrothorn is confused. Hazards/Thunder wave are better on a defensive set, while Curse can work on an offensive set (better have Gyro Ball + at least one other attack). But what exactly does he think he's powering up with that Curse?

Golurk makes sense except for the Ice Beam. It's kinda slow/frail for OU standards so a sash + Rock Polish can help that. And Dynamic Punch is standard on No Guard sets.

Trick + Choice Scarf on Starmie makes sense sometimes - it can be used to cripple a defensive wall. And with Thunder Wave on it also, he's probably just thinking of what he can cripple...

Dual Screens Espeon isn't terrible, and Signal Beam can beat Dark types who are immune to its Psychic.

On Gyarados, seeing how it's 4x weak to Electric, and Electric types are weak to Ground, Earthquake makes sense here to nail an Electric type on the switch.

All in all, I give this team a 4/10. Could be MUCH worse.

Woot, a guy used Stealth Rock three times in a row, and asked me why it wasn't laying more layers. During that time, my Thundurus-T was happily Double Dancing his way up. When I mentioned Spikes, he was gone for a little bit during which I think he was researching the move before he rage quit.

Just came across a Tyranitar with the following moves: Sub, Focus Punch, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt. The same guy had a bunch of other (mostly shitty) mixed sets on everything. A mixed Keldeo, a mixed Heatran, etc.
That's actually the famous tyraniboah set that was extremely popular in 3rd and 4th gen. Don't know about anything else since there's no further explanation on them.

That's actually the famous tyraniboah set that was extremely popular in 3rd and 4th gen. Don't know about anything else since there's no further explanation on them.
Yeah, the idea seemed viable enough to not be a complete joke, but the guy was really bad. He used Focus Punch a few times without even subbing, and someone watching asked if he even had sub, and he did it the next turn. The Keldeo had Aqua Tail, some shit Hidden Power (did all of about 9% to Volcarona), and I killed him too fast to see what else it had. Heatran had Flame Charge, Earthquake, and some other shit Hidden Power.

Off stat teams are very fun to use nothing weird there , if those were mixed sets then would be different matter´
Has you can see he did all the correct predictions he knew what he was doing

The foe's Kyurem used Cut!
It's not very effective...
Skarmory lost 1 HP! (0% of its health)
Skarmory fainted!

and same match...

The foe's Gengar used Lick!
Jirachi lost 18 HP! (5% of its health)
Jirachi is paralyzed! It may be unable to move

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)