Other Silly Things You've Seen On The OU Ladder: V2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like bringing calcs into this will solve everything, because 78/71/69 defenses just don't fix it for me.

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Talonflame: 290-344 (80.5 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Priority roost won't fix that dent. Even if gyarados does get burned, there's still room for special calcs.

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 324-384 (90 - 106.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Slap a beneficial nature on Keldeo, and Talonflame wastes all its bulk for an OHKO

Sure, W-o-W and priority roost/tailwind is nice, but talon flame should stay banded.
This post bothers me because obviously have never used Bulk Up Talonflame. Personally it's my favorite set since it breaks stall and can actually laugh at Heatran. The point is to come in on something like Ferrothorn, Chansey or Heatran, use Taunt and grab some Bulk Up boosts as they switch.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 184 SDef / 76 Spd
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Roost

>Battling in OU
>Up against what looks like another cookie cutter Smogon OU team... Rotom-W, Talonflame, Aegislash...
>Suddenly, BASCULIN. And CHERRIM.

I didn't catch a replay of this magnificent battle, but what I can say is that the opponent forfeited on the first turn after my Excadrill OHKO'd his Rotom-W when its Will-O-Wisp missed.
Cherrim doesn't seem THAT horrible when I look at it; Flower Gift basically gives it 130 Special Attack. However...yeah, unusual choice when Megasaur is super duper common.

Cherrim doesn't seem THAT horrible when I look at it; Flower Gift basically gives it 130 Special Attack.
Cherrim's Smogon Analysis said:
If sun is the prevailing weather condition, the wielder raises its own Attack and Special Defense by 50%. In multi battles, it also raises the Attack and Special Defense of its partners by 50%.
Even in sun, Cherrim's (effective) 90 base attack is hardly usable. Even with 117 Special Defense, it boosts a common offensive type that it's weak to as a trade-off.

Hell, there weren't any apparent sun-setters on the opponents team (other than possibly Cherrim itself.)

Even in sun, Cherrim's (effective) 90 base attack is hardly usable. Even with 117 Special Defense, it boosts a common offensive type that it's weak to as a trade-off.

Hell, there weren't any apparent sun-setters on the opponents team (other than possibly Cherrim itself.)
It's not an effective base 90. It's an effective base 114.5 after full investment and Adamant or Lonely nature (Lonely to avoid nerfing its Sp. Atk and Sp. Def, which it needs for its ability and for Weather Ball). Its Physical moveset is still pretty bad, however, basically boiling down to Swords Dance, Return, Petal Blizzard, Natural Gift, and Rollout. It can also use Weather Ball for a 100 base power Special Fire move boosted by Sun, which can probably deal a good bit of damage even uninvested if it's SE. Nature Power access would've actually made it pretty usable last gen, but since Nature Power calls Special moves now... not so much. If it learned Stone Edge, that would make it at least somewhat more viable, since relying on Rollout is less than ideal. The other problem is it sort of needs both Sun support and Swords Dance in order to deal real damage.

I almost feel like making a team with this thing now, though. XD
I'd need to find something that can Swords Dance, Baton Pass, and Sunny Day, though.

Last edited:

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
This post bothers me because obviously have never used Bulk Up Talonflame. Personally it's my favorite set since it breaks stall and can actually laugh at Heatran. The point is to come in on something like Ferrothorn, Chansey or Heatran, use Taunt and grab some Bulk Up boosts as they switch.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 184 SDef / 76 Spd
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Roost
Talonflame learns Bulk Up? That changes much. I also like how you put Taunt in there, to stop a Tormenting Heatran or Aegislash from being a pain.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-98218001

SUCCESS

A win with Sunkern/Farfetch'd/Delibird/Magikarp/Feebas/Unown. And not a pussy-ass forfeit like you other guys, an honest-to-God win.
Your replay is worth watching twice for the sheer absurdity of the opponent's team. Air Balloon non-mega Fire Punch Ampharos? Air Slash Bravaiary? (nice base 57 sp attack stat). Iron Tail Umbreon? Blizzard Swampert (and using it on a Magikarp)? lol.

I made the ultimate noob team: A team with randomly generated everything. RNG'd Pokémon. RNG'd movesets. RNG'd held items. RNG'd IVs. RNG'd EVs. RNG'd Happiness values, even though none of them have Return or Frustration. RNG'd Nature. RNG'd gender. And the RNG hates my guts.

Notable members include well... everything actually. But especially the Porygon2 with 188 Speed EVs and Thunder Wave... only to have both of those things be useless because its held item is Lagging Tail. That Porygon2 would actually be decent if it weren't for the Lagging Tail, as Swift after a Download boost actually hits pretty hard. And the 200 Speed EVs Regice with a -Speed nature and like 6 Speed IVs, moveset Bulldoze, Confide, Rock Smash, Mega Punch.

And the Endeavor Kricketot with 192 HP EVs.

And I've only won once, due to a forfeit before the battle even started. The best I've done aside from that one forfeit is being 5-0'd by the opponent. I almost won another match when my opponent DC'd first thing, but... http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-98150660

I've found a few particularly silly opponents during this, but unfortunately my team is so bad that most potential silliness ends up impossible to see.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-98145491 — Swords Dance + Foul Play Bisharp. Heat Wave Chandelure.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-98218001

SUCCESS

A win with Sunkern/Farfetch'd/Delibird/Magikarp/Feebas/Unown. And not a pussy-ass forfeit like you other guys, an honest-to-God win.
I've seriously overestimated the bottom of the ladder. Apparently, raantaa could not handle the double bird combo of Farfetch'd and Delibird. Can anyone do it with Azurill instead of one of the birds? I would like to believe there is a team so bad that no one could lose to it, but people just keep proving me wrong.

Here's a forfeit using a shit team: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-98228307

i'm going to try to get a real win this time.
You have to do it on the OU ladder for it to be official.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
I've seriously overestimated the bottom of the ladder. Apparently, raantaa could not handle the double bird combo of Farfetch'd and Delibird. Can anyone do it with Azurill instead of one of the birds? I would like to believe there is a team so bad that no one could lose to it, but people just keep proving me wrong.

You have to do it on the OU ladder for it to be official.
I would, but I don't want to lower my OU ranking.

AND SPINDA BECAME OP FOR THIS? I missed some shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)