Shiny Charm and Masuda Method

Finally got shiny growlithe! egg number 238. i will finish this batch then go on to finding shiny phantump :3
first batch: nothing
second: shiny at 238

EDITED

I pledge to hatch 240 Eggs in four 60-egg batches, for a first-off effort.
English Charmander x Japanese Ditto, I'll update this post on the results.
Batch 1: No shinies.
Batch 2: No shiny.
Batch 3: In progress.
Batch 4: ~~~

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say, but at 100k eggs, I think we'll have to stop. There has been a bunch of immature kids over the past day who just seem to be incapable of minding their own business, and think it's funny to mess with our hard work. It's been really annoying, and it's a pain for me to continually go back and fix these ***hole's edits (I just find it really annoying).
Honestly it should of been made private and controlled by a handful of people it's not that hard to send a PM to one of the "Managers" if there's a few trusted managers with access to it.

I don't understand why people do these kinds of things... I'm not even on the list.

All results right now the only ones we can trust are the ones in this thread sadly...

Honestly it should of been made private and controlled by a handful of people it's not that hard to send a PM to one of the "Managers" if there's a few trusted managers with access to it.

I don't understand why people do these kinds of things... I'm not even on the list.

All results right now the only ones we can trust are the ones in this thread sadly...
So what do we think the real shiny rate most likely is now then? Or are all results on the spreadsheet now BS?

So what do we think the real shiny rate most likely is now then? Or are all results on the spreadsheet now BS?
I'm just a random I only view the threads results I rarely even look at the sheet

It's hard to say however not all the results are the sheet are fake however I'll keep contributing as long as this project is going and even after the thread ends I'll still keep track of my eggs.

Been pretty busy past few days but I can finally start making more batches tonight woo dive ball anorith! would be sweet landing Swift Swim ;)

I've MM'd about 1300 eggs without a shiny at this point. One of my parents isn't Kalos bred, so I'm wondering if the hexagon affects shiny rate, because as it stands I've failed a 95% chance to get a shiny.

I've MM'd about 1300 eggs without a shiny at this point. One of my parents isn't Kalos bred, so I'm wondering if the hexagon affects shiny rate, because as it stands I've failed a 95% chance to get a shiny.
Well think about it this way. If the chance of getting a shiny is 1:437 as the sheet says... you doing 1300 eggs is like doing 437 three times.

Essentially, its the same thing as if you flipped a coin 3 times and got tails each time. Its not really that outrageous... just bad luck.

Likewise, the chances that you would hatch that many without a shiny are about 12.5%.

Last edited:
updated post #485 still waiting for my shiny mareep <i update my post daily min of 1 box a day>
<2668 eggs since my last shiny i hope i do get 8 shinies if i reach 4096>

Well think about it this way. If the chance of getting a shiny is 1:437 as the sheet says... you doing 1300 eggs is like doing 437 three times.

Essentially, its the same thing as if you flipped a coin 3 times and got tails each time. Its not really that outrageous... just bad luck.
Actually the probability of at least one success in a certain number of tries with unchanging odds of 1/450 (general estimate) is 1-(1-1/450)^1300, which comes out at around 95%. Without shiny charm it would be around 67%, which is far more consistent with my MM attempts in the past without the shiny charm, and it would make sense that I wouldn't have a shiny yet because there's a chunky 33% chance of failure. Due to the large number of people on the spreadsheet who have reported shinies frequently enough for the 1/450 to be accurate, me being a large outlier on that field of data raises my suspicions that non-kalos parents could affect the shiny rate.

Actually the probability of at least one success in a certain number of tries with unchanging odds of 1/450 (general estimate) is 1-(1-1/450)^1300, which comes out at around 95%. Without shiny charm it would be around 67%, which is far more consistent with my MM attempts in the past without the shiny charm, and it would make sense that I wouldn't have a shiny yet because there's a chunky 33% chance of failure. Due to the large number of people on the spreadsheet who have reported shinies frequently enough for the 1/450 to be accurate, me being a large outlier on that field of data raises my suspicions that non-kalos parents could affect the shiny rate.
That could be true, but I think there's a whole lot of people who are using 6Iv dittos... pretty much none of those are from kalos.

That could be true, but I think there's a whole lot of people who are using 6Iv dittos... pretty much none of those are from kalos.
Well I've used a 6 IV ditto on 2 pokemon so far and got three shinies I'll probably have a shiny drought with anorith though as my luck with kricketot was pretty... absurd lol

I'm sorry to say, but at 100k eggs, I think we'll have to stop. There has been a bunch of immature kids over the past day who just seem to be incapable of minding their own business, and think it's funny to mess with our hard work. It's been really annoying, and it's a pain for me to continually go back and fix these ***hole's edits (I just find it really annoying).
Just change the editing permissions so that only specific users can make changes. I'm willing work with a few others to keep the spreadsheet updated with other users' posts, although the more people who verify with their email address (and make their own changes), the better.

Thought I'd give this a shot since I've just got the shiny charm. :D

Breeding an english Lucario (5IV) and a Japanese Ditto, willing to hatch 500 eggs and will update every 50 eggs!

Batch 1 (0-50): Nope!
Batch 2 (51-100): Nope!
Batch 3 (101-150): Nope!
Batch 4 (151-200): Nope! (Switched Lucario out with a Flabebe at around 180)
Batch 5 (201-250): Nope!
Batch 6 (251-300): Nope!
Batch 7 (301-350): Nope! (Giving Onixs a try now :P)
Batch 8 (351-400): Nope!
Batch 9 (401-450): Nope!
Batch 10 (451-500): In progress~

Last edited:
I got the shiny charm for a while so I help I hatch 600 and update every 100 eggs.

JPN treecko female ENG treecko male(both have 5 ivs)

Batch 1 (1-100) : no shiny
Batch 2 (101-200) : no shiny
Batch 3 (201-300) : no shiny
Batch 4 (301-400): in progress

Last edited:
First batch of with a Japanese Eevee and a French Ditto done.

Batch 1 (1-100): 1 shiny.

Shooting for a shiny Togekiss next. Using an American Togekiss and a French Ditto.

I'm using a Japanese 6 IV ditto not from Kalos- I had a bad start (only 1 in my first batch of 1,000) I hatched four in my next 1,300 and I'm now right in line with the average

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have a question, I would like to contribute to this thread but I have a rebuttal for one of the concerns presented in one of the earlier posts.

Are we not recording data for everyone and not just personal chances? Yes, if someone stopped at a shiny, it would present a statistical bias but only for that individual, not the overall sample. For example, one person hatches a shiny at 400 eggs and another hatches one at 600 eggs, that would be 2 shinies per 1,000 eggs (or 1/500) despite the personal chances being radically different.

I don't want to pledge any particular amount, just hatching eggs of a particular species until I get a shiny. Sorry if my theory is incorrect, I'd like to say that my last statistics class was taught in a manner that did not work for me :P

Last edited:
Finished my second batch.
Jap Eevee and Fre Ditto (1-100): 1
USA Togekiss and Fre Ditto (101-200): 0

Working on third now. I can't update the spreadsheet, so I'll leave this here.

Updated post #507 and spreadsheet. ^.^ My odds definitely changed since getting the Shiny Charm... but certainly not in the way I expected. xD

Still breeding my 6Iv ditto with my 6Iv eevee. Results thus far:

1~100: Nothing
101~200: Nothing
201~300: Nothing
301~400: Nothing
401~500: Nothing
501~600: Nothing
601~700: Nothing
701~800: Nothing
801~900: Nothing
901~1000: In Progress

Updated post #507 and spreadsheet. ^.^ My odds definitely changed since getting the Shiny Charm... but certainly not in the way I expected. xD
Same for me. =[

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)