move 3: Shadow Sneak
move 4: Endure / X-Scissor
item: Focus Sash / Heavy-Duty Boots / Safety Goggles
ability: Wonder Guard
nature: Lonely
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
ivs: 0 Def / 0 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

* Despite meager stats across the board, Shedinja finds a place on teams as a defensive pivot thanks to its unique ability, Wonder Guard. This enables Shedinja to wall any Pokemon that can't fit a move to hit it for super effective damage, such as most Kyogre, Xerneas, and Zacian-C.

* Poltergeist is Shedinja's strongest STAB move, dealing respectable damage to most neutral foes and revealing the target's held item. Use this move liberally to gather information about opponents' sets and scout for items like Rocky Helmet, which will KO Shedinja using Shadow Sneak or X-Scissor. Scouting items is especially effective in the Battle Stadium format due to the Item Clause, which allows for a process of elimination to deduce other foes' items.

* Will-O-Wisp allows Shedinja to burn incoming physical attackers looking to KO it, making them easier to deal with for teammates.

* Shadow Sneak lets Shedinja revenge kill faster foes that have been sufficiently weakened.

* Endure allows Shedinja to scout for super effective attacks, including surprise Max Moves, and is particularly useful if not utilizing a Focus Sash. Use Endure liberally, as teams that appear to be weak to Shedinja at first glance may have surprise coverage options to overcome it.

* X-Scissor is an alternative to Endure that lets Shedinja hit Dark-types super effectively and keeps Normal-types from completely walling it, but it won't be able to scout for fatal coverage. Even with X-Scissor, Shedinja still will not deal much damage to most Normal- and Dark-types, so teammates that can handle them make for great partners. Urshifu-R can both threaten them and the majority of entry hazard setters in the metagame, which threaten to instantly KO Shedinja switching in unless it's holding Heavy-Duty Boots.

* Protect may seem appealing instead of Endure, further allowing Shedinja to scout for moves like Leech Seed, Toxic, and Will-O-Wisp. However, it leaves Shedinja vulnerable to Max Moves, making Endure the superior option in most cases.

* A Lonely nature, along with 0 IVs in Defense and Special Defense, is chosen to improve the matchup against Ditto, since Shedinja can't benefit from bulk investment itself.

Items
========

* Focus Sash allows Shedinja to survive one super effective attack without having to use Endure, but it leaves Shedinja vulnerable to any form of indirect damage.

* Heavy-Duty Boots prevents Shedinja from fainting to entry hazard damage. Notably, it can let Shedinja wall hazard setters reliant on Stealth Rock to take it out, such as Swampert and Mamoswine lacking Rock Tomb. If not running Heavy-Duty Boots, Shedinja's team absolutely needs a plan for dealing with common entry hazard setters.

* Safety Goggles is the only way to prevent hail and sand damage from KOing Shedinja, which can be invaluable against teams with Tyranitar, Hippowdon, or potential users of Max Hailstorm and Max Rockfall.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Comradesquidwar, 542590]]
- Quality checked by: [[Theorymon, 29010], [Tox, 146]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gonna check this now!

* I'd change the wording of the first bullet a bit, to say "Pokemon that struggle to fit in a move that its it for super effective damage". Reason being is, Kyogre and Xerneas, while major targets, CAN actually hit Shedinja for SE. For Kyogre its the rather desperate Ancient Power, but believe it or not, over 10% of Xerneas do run Rock Slide, so Shedina isn't 100% safe against them! However, changing it to mention that all 3 of them have a hard time fitting in coverage for Shedinja is a better fit!

* I think for the Poltergiest section, I'd explicitly mention that the item scouting is especially effective since with item clause, this lets you play a process of elimination! An example (probably best not to use an example in the analysis, but to give you an idea): If you Poltergiest an in-coming Yveltal and Weakness Policy comes up, then you know nothing else can have it!

* Super tiny nitpick, on the Wisp mention I'd say "physical attackers" righter than attackers to make the target more clear.

* On the Heavy Duty Boots mention, I'd mention that Mamoswine has the potential to run Rock Tomb, so make sure to scout for that move in particular. (Yes I realize Swampert technically can too but its much rarer on them!)

* One last thing: notice how I structure the bullet points in this check? That's how you want to structure your analysis, because this is how the dex knows to insert bullet points onsite!

Otherwise, I think you get how Shedinja works, implement this stuff and I'll give you your first QC stamp!

Gonna check this now!

* I'd change the wording of the first bullet a bit, to say "Pokemon that struggle to fit in a move that its it for super effective damage". Reason being is, Kyogre and Xerneas, while major targets, CAN actually hit Shedinja for SE. For Kyogre its the rather desperate Ancient Power, but believe it or not, over 10% of Xerneas do run Rock Slide, so Shedina isn't 100% safe against them! However, changing it to mention that all 3 of them have a hard time fitting in coverage for Shedinja is a better fit!

* I think for the Poltergiest section, I'd explicitly mention that the item scouting is especially effective since with item clause, this lets you play a process of elimination! An example (probably best not to use an example in the analysis, but to give you an idea): If you Poltergiest an in-coming Yveltal and Weakness Policy comes up, then you know nothing else can have it!

* Super tiny nitpick, on the Wisp mention I'd say "physical attackers" righter than attackers to make the target more clear.

* On the Heavy Duty Boots mention, I'd mention that Mamoswine has the potential to run Rock Tomb, so make sure to scout for that move in particular. (Yes I realize Swampert technically can too but its much rarer on them!)

* One last thing: notice how I structure the bullet points in this check? That's how you want to structure your analysis, because this is how the dex knows to insert bullet points onsite!

Otherwise, I think you get how Shedinja works, implement this stuff and I'll give you your first QC stamp!
Thank you! Will implement this feedback into the analysis

This is perhaps only an aside at best, but because you rightly go into some detail about Poltergeist, its interaction with consumable items—being a fairly unique one—may also merit a mention. In this respect, various FIWAM (pinch) Berry and Sitrus Berry users certainly come to mind, with the occasional Kee Berry Zapdos, as well. Again, not a deal-breaker or anything for me, but not something quite as situational as "don't get Traced by Porygon2 lol", either.

QC 2/2
bss qc big.gif

This is perhaps only an aside at best, but because you rightly go into some detail about Poltergeist, its interaction with consumable items—being a fairly unique one—may also merit a mention. In this respect, various FIWAM (pinch) Berry and Sitrus Berry users certainly come to mind, with the occasional Kee Berry Zapdos, as well. Again, not a deal-breaker or anything for me, but not something quite as situational as "don't get Traced by Porygon2 lol", either.

QC 2/2
View attachment 411927
Thanks! Added to the bullet that move fails if the target doesn't have an item

Reactions: Tox

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
also fix the apostrophes to straight '

name: Wonder Guard
move 1: Poltergeist
move 2: Will-O-Wisp

[SET COMMENTS]

* Despite meager stats across the board, Shedinja finds a place on teams as a defensive pivot thanks to its unique ability, Wonder Guard. This enables Shedinja to wall any Pokemon that struggles to can't fit a move to hit it for super effective damage, such as (should "most" be added here? up to you) Kyogre, Xerneas, and Zacian-C.

* Poltergeist is Shedinja’s strongest STAB move, dealing respectable damage to most neutral foes and revealing the target’s held item. Use this move liberally to gather information about opponents’ movesets (I imagine poltergeist doesn't do scouting that's specific to moves, as opposed to the set more broadly?) and scout for items like Rocky Helmet, which will KO Shedinja if using Shadow Sneak or X-Scissor. The item scouting effect Scouting items is especially effective in the Battle Stadium format due to the Item Clause, allowing which allows for a process of elimination to deduce other foes' items. However, the move will fail if the target is not holding an item, or if the target's item has already been consumed. (readers should know of these basic mechanics. if you want to add specific examples or scenarios instead, feel free. alternatively, you could mention "not needing foes to hold an item" as a benefit for x-scissor further down. up to you)

* Will-O-Wisp allows Shedinja to burn incoming physical attackers looking to KO it, making them easier to deal with for teammates.

* Shadow Sneak provides Shedinja with a means of revenge killing lets Shedinja revenge kill faster foes that have been sufficiently weakened.

* Endure allows Shedinja to scout for super effective attacks from the opponent, including surprise Max Moves, and is particularly useful if not utilizing a Focus Sash. Use Endure liberally, as teams that appear to be weak to Shedinja at first glance may have surprise coverage options to overcome it.

* X-Scissor is an alternative to Endure that lets Shedinja hit Dark types for super effective damage and keeps it from being completely walled by Normal types, but at the cost of Dark-types super effectively and keeps Normal-types from completely walling it, but it won't be able to scout for fatal coverage. Even then, X-Scissor with X-Scissor, Shedinja still will not deal much damage to most Normal- (added hyphen) and Dark-types, so teammates that can handle them for Shedinja make for great partners. Urshifu-R is noteworthy for its ability to threaten them as well as can both threaten them and the majority of entry hazard setters in the metagame, which threaten to instantly KO Shedinja switching in unless it's holding Heavy-Duty Boots. (I assume this is the point?)

* Protect may seem appealing instead of Endure, further allowing Shedinja to scout for moves like Leech Seed, Toxic, and Will-O-Wisp. However, this it leaves Shedinja vulnerable to Max Moves, which will do damage even through Protect, making Endure the superior option in most cases.

* Maximum EVs in Attack and Speed enable Shedinja to hit as hard and be as fast as possible. A Lonely nature, along with 0 IVs in Defense and Special Defense, is chosen to improve the matchup against Ditto, since Shedinja can't benefit from bulk investment itself.

Items
========

* Focus Sash allows Shedinja to survive one super effective attack without having to use Endure, but leaves it it leaves Shedinja vulnerable to any form of residual indirect damage.

* Heavy-Duty Boots prevents Shedinja from fainting to entry hazard damage. Notably, this can allow Shedinja to wall opposing entry hazard-setters reliant on Stealth Rock damage it can let Shedinja wall hazard setters reliant on Stealth Rock to take it out, such as Swampert and Mamoswine lacking Rock Tomb. If not running Heavy-Duty Boots, then it is absolutely crucial that Shedinja's team has Shedinja's team absolutely needs a plan for dealing with common entry hazard setters.

* Equipping Shedinja with Safety Goggles is the only way to prevent it from being KOed by hail and sand damage, hail and sand damage from KOing Shedinja, which can be invaluable when up against teams with Tyranitar, Hippowdon, or potential users of Max Hailstorm and Max Rockfall.

[CREDITS]

finland-GP.gif
1/1

Add/Fix Remove Comment
also fix the apostrophes to straight '

name: Wonder Guard
move 1: Poltergeist
move 2: Will-O-Wisp

[SET COMMENTS]

* Despite meager stats across the board, Shedinja finds a place on teams as a defensive pivot thanks to its unique ability, Wonder Guard. This enables Shedinja to wall any Pokemon that struggles to can't fit a move to hit it for super effective damage, such as (should "most" be added here? up to you) Kyogre, Xerneas, and Zacian-C.

* Poltergeist is Shedinja’s strongest STAB move, dealing respectable damage to most neutral foes and revealing the target’s held item. Use this move liberally to gather information about opponents’ movesets (I imagine poltergeist doesn't do scouting that's specific to moves, as opposed to the set more broadly?) and scout for items like Rocky Helmet, which will KO Shedinja if using Shadow Sneak or X-Scissor. The item scouting effect Scouting items is especially effective in the Battle Stadium format due to the Item Clause, allowing which allows for a process of elimination to deduce other foes' items. However, the move will fail if the target is not holding an item, or if the target's item has already been consumed. (readers should know of these basic mechanics. if you want to add specific examples or scenarios instead, feel free. alternatively, you could mention "not needing foes to hold an item" as a benefit for x-scissor further down. up to you)

* Shadow Sneak provides Shedinja with a means of revenge killing lets Shedinja revenge kill faster foes that have been sufficiently weakened.

* Endure allows Shedinja to scout for super effective attacks from the opponent, including surprise Max Moves, and is particularly useful if not utilizing a Focus Sash. Use Endure liberally, as teams that appear to be weak to Shedinja at first glance may have surprise coverage options to overcome it.

* X-Scissor is an alternative to Endure that lets Shedinja hit Dark types for super effective damage and keeps it from being completely walled by Normal types, but at the cost of Dark-types super effectively and keeps Normal-types from completely walling it, but it won't be able to scout for fatal coverage. Even then, X-Scissor with X-Scissor, Shedinja still will not deal much damage to most Normal- (added hyphen) and Dark-types, so teammates that can handle them for Shedinja make for great partners. Urshifu-R is noteworthy for its ability to threaten them as well as can both threaten them and the majority of entry hazard setters in the metagame, which threaten to instantly KO Shedinja switching in unless it's holding Heavy-Duty Boots. (I assume this is the point?)

* Protect may seem appealing instead of Endure, further allowing Shedinja to scout for moves like Leech Seed, Toxic, and Will-O-Wisp. However, this it leaves Shedinja vulnerable to Max Moves, which will do damage even through Protect, making Endure the superior option in most cases.

* Maximum EVs in Attack and Speed enable Shedinja to hit as hard and be as fast as possible. A Lonely nature, along with 0 IVs in Defense and Special Defense, is chosen to improve the matchup against Ditto, since Shedinja can't benefit from bulk investment itself.

Items
========

* Focus Sash allows Shedinja to survive one super effective attack without having to use Endure, but leaves it it leaves Shedinja vulnerable to any form of residual indirect damage.

* Heavy-Duty Boots prevents Shedinja from fainting to entry hazard damage. Notably, this can allow Shedinja to wall opposing entry hazard-setters reliant on Stealth Rock damage it can let Shedinja wall hazard setters reliant on Stealth Rock to take it out, such as Swampert and Mamoswine lacking Rock Tomb. If not running Heavy-Duty Boots, then it is absolutely crucial that Shedinja's team has Shedinja's team absolutely needs a plan for dealing with common entry hazard setters.

* Equipping Shedinja with Safety Goggles is the only way to prevent it from being KOed by hail and sand damage, hail and sand damage from KOing Shedinja, which can be invaluable when up against teams with Tyranitar, Hippowdon, or potential users of Max Hailstorm and Max Rockfall.

[CREDITS]

View attachment 4206071/1
Implemented, thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)