Set up and conquer

(My first RMT)
The purpose of this team is to set up and destroy while using Amoonguss' rage powder to avoid injury.

Team bulding: One of the first things that I noticed 5th gen was the power and glory that is the move Shell Smash. While theorybuilding I mused "wouldn't it be lovely if a pokemon had both Shell Shash and the newly upgraded Sturdy ability. Imagine my surprise when I found such a pokemon in Carracosta. That abysmal speed could be remedied with a Shell Smash or two, and he would dominate. Carracosta was in.

Now my biggest problem was letting Carracosta set up. Sturdy was nice, but not enough. I struggled with this problem until running into and unassuming little pokemon online. Amoonguss. This surprisingly bulky little mushroom had access to Rage Powder, a godsend to set up sweepers. He could lure away attacks, and his effect spore could effectivly cripple physical attackers too. Amoonguss was definatly in.

After battling for a while on Pokemon Online I noiticed that Carracosta functioned much better as a late game sweeper, once may major threats were reemoved and my opponent was caught unawares. I needed someone who could come out immediatly and start punching holes in my opponent. I leaned towards Haxorus with his 147 base attack. I started with a choice band set, but changed to a DD set to use any opportunity my opponent used to protect or set up to get faster and stronger. After some tweaking, the terrifying Haxorus was in.

Finally, I needed a partner to counter Haxorus' weakness, namely steel types and Hydreigon. Conkelldurr stood out to me. Bulky, Powerful, access to priority, flame orb made him immune to sleep, and his low speed had anyone useing a trick room to think twice. He was my all around counter, and Haxorus loves his support more than anything. Conkelldurr was in.

With that in mind, here are my team's spec's

Haxorus@ Lum Berry
252atk/252spe/4Hp
Ability: Rivalry/Nature: Jolly
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Rock Slide
-Protect

Haxorus is a beast. His 147 attack makes his attacks some of the hardest hitting at this year's VGC, but his speed is trollish at best. Dragon dance remedies this, as well as boosting his attacks. Dragon Claw is there for STAB and Rock Slide hits both opponents. Protect is used for scouting and stalling trick room. However, due to steel types resisting his attacks and haxorus laughing in his face with his 1 higher speed, he needed a teammate that could take on both.

Conkelldurr@ Flame Orb
248Hp/252Atk/8Spe
Ability: Guts/Nature: Adamant
-Bulk Up
-Mach Punch
-Drain Punch
-Rock Slide

Self explanatory really, bulk up for increased power and defense. Drain Punch as the main STAB and good recovery, while Mach Punch picks off opponents with priority. Rock slide for everyone else who resists or is immune to his STAB attacks. An excellent counter to Hydreigon and the Steel types that vex Haxorus

Amoongus@ Black Sludge
252HP/252Def/4SpA
Ability: Effect Spore/Nature: Bold
-Rage Powder
-Spore
-Sythesis
-Giga Drain

The annoyer. Draws attacks so that the others can set up DDances, Bulk ups, or Shell Smashes. Rage Powder and Spore are key here, with Synthesis to increase his bulk and Giga Drain so i dont get Taunt locked. I chose to focus on physical defense rather than sp[read the love between the defenses. Let me know if you think that should change.

Carracosta@ Lansat Berry
252Atk/252Spe/4Hp
Ability: Sturdy/Nature: Jolly
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Rock Slide
-Shell Smash

The coup de grace of this team, a shell break or two can wreck anyone. Sturdy is used to guarantee a Shell Smash, and if Amoonguss is able to do his job and he Shell Smashes unscathed, assures that nothing will OHKO him. Waterfall and Rock Slide are the two main attcking options, with Aqua Jet being a just in case priority. His moves are further boosted by the Lansat berry after he holds on with sturdy.

Well there you have it, my fist RMT, and so far it has been effective for me. Any imput is appreciated, on strategies, moves, ev's, and anything in general. Hope you like it!

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It looks like Jellicent poses a major threat to your team. You can't OHKO and it would have any easy time setting up Trick Room and wreck your team. A remedy to this is to give Conkledurr Payback over Drain Punch, as Mach Punch can often get the job done. Also Bulk Up is really not needed because its main goal is to support Haxorus, and if it's setting up it's not helping Haxorus. I'd put Protect there, so you can stall out Trick Room or stall for your Flame Orb.

Idk about replacing drain punch, although losing bulk up shouldn't be too much of a problem, as it hasn't helped me as much as i'd thought. Drain Punch is too useful for recovery though. Should I replace Bulk Up with Payback? Or is Protect better? A way to counter Jellicent would be nice, as right now i just spore it and just attack

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Idk about replacing drain punch, although losing bulk up shouldn't be too much of a problem, as it hasn't helped me as much as i'd thought. Drain Punch is too useful for recovery though. Should I replace Bulk Up with Payback? Or is Protect better? A way to counter Jellicent would be nice, as right now i just spore it and just attack
Payback>Protect with your team, although I would still advise that you ditch Drain Punch, or one of the Fighting moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)