Tournament SCL III RU Discussion and Replays

Now i've not been keeping track of whats been going on, but I thought it would be interesting to throw my lot in with everyone else

:gible: vs :gyarados:
SV RU: Dr. Phd. BJ vs Feliburn
reasoning:
Drawing-9.sketchpad.jpeg
, and I don't know who this guy is, so I'll go with the safe bet of the RU RO
sorry dr blowjob, but I think your medical license and doctorates isn't going to win you this one

:mew: vs :toxapex:
SV RU: JustFranco vs bb skarm

no offense to bb skarm but I feel like he has a nasty habit of playing decently earlygame but then losing a crucial mon-mid game and having a slow descent into a loss, and franco just seems to be the more consistent player.

:aegislash: vs :zapdos-galar:
SV RU: TheFranklin vs Beraldo

I have no idea, so my coin flip says its Beraldo

:melmetal: vs :exeggutor-alola:
SV RU: ishtar vs robjr

Ishtar seems like the better player from previous showings, but robjr is also good. I say that ishtar has the slight advantage, but I predict i'll come down to who can out-team preview the other person

:falinks: vs :ninetales:
SV RU: Ajna vs Floss

the toughie. Ajna does some clout to back em up, but Floss is also having a good showing this time around. Personally, I think I'll go with ajna purely because it's funny to be a contrarian, I mean they brought such a fun team last time!

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
Week 7 is here!

SV RU: Feliburn vs Floss
SV RU: robjr vs Ajna
SV RU: Beraldo vs eifo
SV RU: bb skarm vs TheFranklin
SV RU: Dr. Phd. BJ vs JustFranco

No mascot pictures cause I'm getting lazy

Ampha

"They don’t call me Greed for nothing!"
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Week 8 is around!

:aegislash: vs :gible:
SV RU: TheFranklin vs GoldCat
:mew: vs :gyarados:
SV RU: JustFranco vs Feliburn
:melmetal: vs :toxapex:
SV RU: eifo vs feen
:falinks: vs :zapdos-galar:
SV RU: Ajna vs Beraldo
:ninetales: vs :exeggutor-alola:
SV RU: Floss vs robjr

Who are you cheering for? and what metagame trends are you guys expecting for this week? feel free to discuss them here! :psyglad:

I full heartedly believe that someone is going to bring a dipplin and it's gonna pull its weight, 100%.
Otherwise, I think we'll see at least 1 HO team, one team with zoro-h and maus, and probably plenty of bulky balance. I also predict that Anja is going to bring another heavily defensive team for the laughs, so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

At this point I would post my predictions, but I have no idea where to find the replays, so yeah. I'll be interested to see what other people think (and want to see this thing revived)

Rarelyme

Comfortably Numb
is a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator
:aegislash: vs :gible:
SV RU: TheFranklin vs GoldCat
GoldCat is back yay ! However I don't really know if he had the time to get used to this new meta whereas Franklin has been playing in both RU Cup and SCL in the post-shifts meta which gives him a clear advantage here. Looking at the standings tho, I hope Franklin will not feel discouraged and rush his prep while on the other hand, GoldCat's team is very close to make it to playoffs so I can see a very active team discord which could bring him the tools to be comfortably prepared for this match. I think it will be a close match but I will still give the edge to Franklin and follow the seeding. 60/40

:mew: vs :gyarados:
SV RU: JustFranco vs Feliburn
Cool matchup, on one side the 21k player with 5 wins for 2 losses and on the other side the 3k player with 4 wins and 3 losses. While Franco is no longer in his impressive win streak early tournament, I think he will be able to draw motivation from his teams like GoldCat because the Machines are in a quite precarious situation standing-wise and really need to win this week. Nonetheless, I think Feliburn's ingame is slightly better but his building talents are superior as well. Against any other opponent, I would've said that this early and unexplored meta gives the edge to Feli but against Franco helped by Guille and Punny, things are more complicated and this factor could help either team. Which leave us with, not unlike Franklin vs GC, a matchup that will probably be quite close. 40/60

:melmetal: vs :toxapex:
SV RU: eifo vs feen
Two more teams directly fighting for a seat in playoffs and first appearance of feen in the tournament yay ! I don't really know anything about them except for the couple of test games that we play together: their ingame in solid and they have good ideas build-wise. What I do know tho is that eifo/ishtar is a killer core and I still have no idea how they haven't popped off yet. They are both very talented and eifo totally has the ingame to beat feen. I fear that none of them will make bold choices in the builder, to play it safe because playoffs are on the line and because early metas can feel easier to approach with basic but strong teams, and that it will only come down to their ingame. For this reason, I will give the edge to eifo. 60/40

:falinks: vs :zapdos-galar:
SV RU: Ajna vs Beraldo
Here is the big highlight of the week. Both are wonderful players who have shown to be on point with the current generation. They also both won last week in the new meta. The only thing I can say to help me decide for this pronostic is that based on test games with Beraldo, I just have to bold him because I find him very impressive. Like I said earlier on this thread, sometimes he decides not to lose and just doesn't and I believe this match will be yet another showing of that. 45/55

:ninetales: vs :exeggutor-alola:
SV RU: Floss vs robjr
I'm really following the seeding this week damn. Floss is one of the best players on this pool, sharing the same record as Feli and Ajna with 5-2 so I think they will come out on top for this match too. However I want to say that I didn't know robjr at all basically before this tournament started and it has been a pleasure to watch their games and teams. He brought a very cool Magnezone last week that they unfortunately didn't have to chance to fully use because they weren't careful enough around Ajna's Horoark and I think this sums up quite well my opinion on them as of right now. They have good ideas and manage to bring interesting teams but sometimes fail to pilot them well enough to challenge very talented players who surpass them with their ingame level. 70/30

Also for futur pronostics, here is SCL's gdoc. You have standings, records and replays on it so even if you don't know the players very well you still have information to make predictions !

Last edited:

Beraldo

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RUPL Champion
SEMIFINALS TIME!! WOOOOOO

[PLA] Ajna vs cleann [GIB] - Okay, this is a game of all time. If I am being honest, this is a very unhype mu for a semifinals game, but it is understandable, since the Gibles' RU slot has been winless so far. However, Ajna is experienced and he doesn't seem to be the kind of player who would throw a game like this. Of course, mons is mons and anyone can beat anyone, and moments like this is the perfect timing for the gibles to get an unexpected win, so the movie script might be on cleann's side, but I really doubt so. I haven't heard really great things about cleann's gameplay, while Ajna has been doing a good tournament with a great 6-3 record. Having all this considered, there is no reason not to bold Ajna in this matchup.

[ISL] robjr vs Feliburn [TER] - Both players have the same amount of wins, but Feli has less games than rob, which means he is doing better than his opponent. Feli didn't play his last 2 weeks games, which may be considered as a bad sign for him since the metagame is still developing, however, I consider it as a point that will favor him, since it means there is less scout for rob to analyze some of Feli's tendences in the new metagame, while Feli has 9 whole games of rob to take into consideration. This little detail might lead to a Feli's win on builder, which will probably lead him to a win in game. Interesting matchup, for sure, with two experienced and great players, but I don't think Feli will drop this one.

Rooting for Ajna vs Feliburn on finals. Good luck all.

Last edited:
Ajna vs cleann
This is a case of me needing to do more than 10 seconds of research to find out who cleann is. I'll bet on ajna over an unknown.

robjr vs Feliburn
I think Feli has an advantage here because he is good and I think has a better understanding of the tier right now but I'm bolding rob so my predicts aren't identical to beraldo and because I think it's a pretty even match that could go either way. It'll be exciting no matter what unless someone brings maushold.

Ampha

"They don’t call me Greed for nothing!"
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
A bit slow but since people have posted too, Semis is up :worrywhirl: , will post them with my own predicts alongside

:falinks: vs :gible:
SV RU: Ajna vs cleann

:exeggutor-alola: vs :gyarados:
robjr vs Feliburn

:falinks: vs :gible:
SV RU: Ajna vs cleann
Pretty straight forward imo, Ajna is the better and more consistent one here, and to be fair, i dont remember anything of cleann with 2 Ns :pikuh:, just with 1, so giving edge to ajna here

:exeggutor-alola: vs :gyarados:
robjr vs Feliburn

I think this MU is pretty even as both have done pretty well in RU through years and everything, giving edge to Feli as I think hes going to bring some heat around and win, although I wouldnt be surprised with a rob win as well, pretty hyped for this game :psyglad:

Rarelyme

Comfortably Numb
Ajna vs cleann
Research has been made, data has been collected but Ajna is still winning this one by a pretty significant margin in my opinion. I don't see the Gibles haven't the capacity and coordination to bring a composed and fresh build to the table whereas Ajna always manages to bring interesting details on solid teams such as the kilowattrel pick which is almost rare to see nowadays but still very strong in the current meta and the grass knot slowbro last week which I found quite cool as well. Nothing shiny or anything but it works mostly as intended hence them having the second best record of the pool. One funny thing I want to point out tho, the Gibles' season in RU was pretty miserable that we can all agree on, but it isn't the only tier in this situation. Indeed their LC slot had a story quite similar to the RU one with currently a 1-8 record. Now guess who brought this 1 win in LC where 3 other players had failed ? Exactly, it's cleann. Sooo let's not underestimate them too much on this one because we might be surprised.
80-20

robjr vs Feliburn
Alright now the hot matchup of the week ! As said above by my fellow pronostic makers, this match feels quite even. They both won 5 games in the tournament and have shown impressive consistency both in teambuilding and ingame plays. Now some context, Feli is coming back from a 2 weeks break and no I'm not foolish enough to use this to rule a player like him out. The meta hasn't change that much during these weeks and he is perfectly capable of using the vacation buff to his advantage. Robjr had been on a 2 weeks long losing streak when they won their game against Feli's sub Inder using a "pretty" surprising HO with a Drill Run Cloyster which paved the way for Mimikyu to sweep the 4 remaining Pokemon in the end. Last week, I said that their ingame level was lacking compared to the top of the pool and apparently they understood it as well and decided to play a short but fast paced game using an hyper offense to maximize their chances. I believe they should approach this game the same way even if it might not be as surprising to Feli as it could've been last week. If they adopt this logic once again I think they are totally able to take on Feli, on the other hand if they go back to a slow paced team, I think Feli's clean ingame will get the better of them. The longer the game lasts, the stronger Feli gets and robjr's chance of winning is only becoming slimmer and slimmer which means that Feli still has the edge here to me in most cases. It's a 60-40 nonetheless.

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
SCL is over for me, so I'll post a bit about my teams. Some of these are gonna be irrelevant cause the early meta this SCL is like NU/PU at the moment, but I still had a fun time building and playing. Early on, I tried to not repeat a single Pokémon in my teams to show how outside the box one can go and still do well.

Unfortunately, replays are dead, so I won't be able to link the games as well.

Week 1 - vs TheFranklin

I wanted to start the tournament with a bang, as I was facing Franklin, which is usually one of the hardest opponents to face. I was trying out CM Braviary, when I saw how incredibly ridiculous Sheer Force sets were hitting. I ended up going for Modest Agility 3 attacks, as it was the best set I tried, and it was already OHKOing the needed mons in the meta. I ended up pairing it with physically defensive Umbreon and specially defensive Mudsdale to try and handle the popular hitters in the tier. Phys Def Umbreon felt especially good in a Krookodile meta, so I went for it. Added classic Brambleghast as my spinner + Spikes setter because it was very consistent early on as an option. Next I ended up going for a bulky Nasty Plot Choice Scarf Rotom, as it was a solid call in case I faced off against slower AND faster teams. Barraskewda was my last slot as another form of speed control, and I love using offensive water types. There was some RNG involved in the middle of the game, but I think the ending of the game was p hype with some 50/50s, and Braviary went from being called bad in the RU discord to a decent option for this meta.

Week 2 - vs Beraldo

I wanted to originally try set up Bronzong on a team, with Muscle Band Rocks Krook to bluff Choice Scarf. After some testing, I realized Scale Shot Moxie Krookodile was actually a really fun sweeper, and somewhat unexpected at the moment. I ended up changing Bronzong to rocks, and paired it with Decidueye-Hisui and Dragalge as the backbone. I went for a really fat Dragalge, as non specs sets felt like a waste of a slot, and I didn't think an offensive Dragalge would help much with the structure I was going for. I added Bellibolt to help with almost every possible breaker the tier had. I went with Soak Toxic, as this set was honestly super clutch vs set up mons like Bisharp or Slowbro-Galar. I had to invest some in special defense cause we had broken Moltres-Galar this week. Finally, Scarf Basculegion was basically a Barraskewda with less coverage, but higher damage output and better defensive value. I ended up facing a Hyper Offense with Moltres, and the Bellibolt set came in clutch. It came down to a Krook interaction that I lost. Regardless I still think this was one of my better structured teams overall.

Week 3 - vs eifo

This was a very interesting week, as I knew from the get go that I wanted to build with Armarouge + Competitive Kilowattrel to abuse the current meta trends. The issue was coming up with a backbone that supported it well. After a lot of struggles, I ended up going for a very basic Vaporeon + Forretress + Krookodile core because I was overthinking it way too much. The whole point was to just break with Kilo and Armarouge, so anything that could take hits would have been good enough. Ajna then suggested I tried a Memento Scarf Garde, as it allowed Armarouge to set up easier. The Armarouge set was a fun one EVd to tank a Knock Off from Krook, with enough speed to be faster than +1 Oricorio after a weak armor. I originally had Energy Ball to hit fat waters, but Protect ended up being clutch to scout for Choiced Krook and prevent Slither Wing from revenge killing you, which came in play in this game.

Week 4 - vs bb skarm

This was also a very funny week to build in. I knew playing skarm would mean trying to keep up with his aggro play. So far, all of his teams had been relatively the same, so I ended up going for a structure that forced a lot of careful positioning hoping to limit his aggro style, while letting me set the pace of my own. That's where Toxic Belli + Toxic Encore Lazzle + SD MMQ came to be. MMQ is a breaker that, if not planned carefully for, can just set up and clean games. Lazzle and Belli force a lot of chip on teams thanks to Toxic Spam. Encore was to catch some greedy set up or recover moves, and do more chip for MMQ to clean. Then I went for regular Encore Diancie to force a lot of trades, and Super Fang Taunt Noivern to limit recovery and chip down mons for MMQ. Forre was a last slot for Spikes and Removal, but it also helped out vs Bisharp. The team ended up working as intended in a 50+ turn game that lasted like 3 minutes.

Week 5 - vs Ajna

Week 5 I had to play my best friend, who knew absolutely everything about my tendencies so far. My only solution was to come up with a set that he couldn't expect, but also broke his common cores. He was really big on Tera Poison fat waters to not lose to Bellibolt or Umbreon, so I went for a Toxic mon that could hit those, and that's how the broken Toxic Psychic Flamethrower Slowbro-Galar came to be. I'm happy I came up with this set, cause it picked up later on, and we still see it in the current meta, albeit it uses Psyshock mainly for CM Fez. The rest of the team was just the same core as my RMT: Rocks Diancie, Leech Tect Wo-Chien, Normal Forry and Scarf Legion. The flavor pivot was Thundurus, as it annoyed common BO relatively well. Unfortunately, I faced a more offensive team than what I was expecting. It was a real close game up until Slowbro got para'd and couldn't break Typhlosion's sub, which ended up revealing sub Tera Fairy later on, abusing my Wo-Chien pick.

Week 6 - vs Dr. Phd. BJ

Before the week was posted, I was trying to think of what to use vs potentially GoldCat or ninjadog. When I saw I was facing the doctor, I immediatly connected some dots and made the hard HO callout. New player debuting + a winless RU slot + HO doing better the previous week. It felt like a very obvious call on my end. I ended up asking Ajna for his week 1 team, and Changing Mudsdale to physically defensive, and making Brambleghast Power Whip over Poltergeist, as Polter had been worse and worse lately. I ended up getting the matchup right, and between Vaporeon, Noivern and Ditto, I managed to play around all the breakers used vs me this week.

Week 7 - vs Floss

First week of the new meta, and I just knew I wanted to bring Lycanroc. Floss hadn't really brought crazy mons yet, just crazy sets on common mons, so I just prepped for standard. I knew Tinkaton was gonna be everywhere, and that Magnezone would pick up cause of it, so I ended up going for my own Magnezone paired with Wo-Chien to handle both options. Hippo was my rocker of choice as it pairs well with Lycanroc and Magnezone thanks to the sand chip. I had originally planned to use Defog Talon but I immediately found out how terrible it is. However, Swords Dance Talonflame started doing well in some tests, so I went for it to form a physically damaging pressure core with Lycanroc. Finally, I went for Boots Cyclizar with Power Whip to hit Quagsire, which otherwise was very annoying for my team. I ended up missing the early Power Whip, but I was able to play around Floss' team thanks to Tera Poison Wo-Chien.

At this point, I took a 2-week vacation, so I had to travel a lot and ended up subbing out.

Week 8 - vs JustFranco

This is a team that Evi had passed me to get into the new meta, but it did really well in tests when I tried it, so I passed it to stresh who was gonna sub in for me. I had also sent him a rain team as I had used 0 cheese yet, and thought it'd be a funny lure. I'm not posting the paste cause Evi is still in RU playoffs and I don't wanna leak any sets.

Week 9 - vs robjr

I won't lie. Out of all the teams I managed to build this week, this is the one I wanted to maybe save for playoffs because it felt really epic. But out of all the teams I passed, Inder liked this one the most, so he went for it. He faced a HO from robjr that came down to sack 50/50s. Really close game. The idea was that Modest Armarouge has the tools to break almost all the BO cores, and, similarly to my week 3 team, competitive Kilo just does amazing paired with it. I went for a fat core of Roar 2 attacks Hippo, as it's pretty decent against Iron Jugulis, and regular rocks Tinkaton. I thought of putting Bulldoze on it, in order to make Kilo more dangerous vs Magnezone teams, but I didn't have time to finish the details. Last 2 mons were Calm Mind U-turn Fez as a slow wincon, but also good pivot for Armarouge, and Mirror Coat Milotic to force chip on a lot of mons.

Semifinals - vs robjr

I ended up changing teams 2 days before the game cause I was having a lot of doubts. I knew originally I wanted to use Slither, in case he tried to bring HO again, but also because Slither is great vs everything and I hadn't used it yet. I went for Krook + Bro + Magnezone cause I saw a lot of people use it, and I thought it was a safe core to bring. Draco Spin Cyclizar last to do more damage in general, and Booster Taunt Jugulis to clean endgame. I ended up facing an very similar team, but with mons that were annoying for my team such as Fez and specially defensive Hippo. The game ended up being v close but I had to get really lucky in the final Hippo interaction to come on top, which I didn't. Still sucks about losing in playoffs but hats off to rob as well for playing well. Definitely a fun game overall.

Overall, I really loved building in this tournament. I know not a lot of people share that sentiment with me, but there's nothing better than getting creative and seeing it pay off in the games. Big shoutout to EviGaro and Ajna for being my main 2 supports whenever possible. Also big shoutout to a big part of the pool for being down to test with each other whenever and help everyone get better.

Rarelyme

Comfortably Numb
Alright let's give the thread a proper ending with some predictions for finals !

:gible:vs:exeggutor:
cleann vs robjr
I am bolding robjr mostly because there is way more data going for him than for their opponent. Robjr has been showing really good stuff in RU during this SCL. Seeded 6th, they managed to rack up a record of 6-4 with impressive wins over Feliburn, seeded 2nd, or JustFranco who also had an amazing SCL season. I have said this before but I like the ideas of their team build wise and I feel like they have grown stronger and stronger throughout this tournament. They are definitely favored in this head-to-head. Cleann on the other hand stays quite mysterious to me. Their win last week was due to some luck in Ajna's Torterra set and a splendid Typhlosion-Hisui pick which worked very well. They are for sure a talented player who succeeded where three of their teammates didn't so I won't say that an upset would surprise me but it is unlikely in my opinion. 40-60

:gogoat::gogoat::gogoat:
Big shout-out to Beraldo for his amazing tournament, you're the goat and I wish you were in Circuit Playoffs to further assert this. Crazy run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)