Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

Is it possible for metronome to call sketch? If yes, does sketch completely fail, work the same way it does in gen 7, or do something else?

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Hello! Realizing a weird mechanic happening with Rayquaza's Air Lock and the activation of protosynthesis abilities after Sun is up. If Rayquaza comes in on a sun setter, and then a protosynthesis pokemon enters the field, after Rayquaza leaves the field and sun goes back up, the protosynthesis ability does not activate.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ubers-1896067156-2g8bt37yhnn5fvs7kub8tsu58pgg4scpw

You can see this occurring here. Rayquaza KOs Koraidon, and then Flutter Mane comes in to revenge it. Rayquaza then leaves the field, and sun goes back up. However, Protosynthesis does not activate.

To confirm this is not a visual bug, we tested this with Scarf Chi-Yu, who generally outspeeds Flutter Mane outside of Sun, but underspeeds it in Sun after a Protosynthesis boost to Speed. The given EV spread on Flutter should allow for the speed boost, and yet it is outsped by the Scarf Chi-Yu.

Not sure if this is how it works in game, but just wanted to point it out regardless. This may also occur with Cloud Nine, but that has not been tested yet.
Me and Nyx tested this on cart (using Golduck instead of Rayquaza for conveience) and while proto did not activate when Golduck was in, as soon as Golduck switched out, it did activate correctly.

We also tested, and Cloud Nine does not make protosynthesis wear off if it proc'd due to the sun activating, it only wore off when the sun wore off. Currently implemented, Air Lock un-procs Protosynthesis, which is not the way I believe it works on cart.

According to the move dump sheet found in this thread, both Sketch's CanUseMove and Metronome flag are both false, so it can't be selected and it was never able to be called via Metronome anyway.
How do I open this in Excel or Google Sheets? When I just click the link, it shows me a HTML page that makes it difficult to look up specific flags for specific moves.

Fling's base power when holding a Big Nugget (an item that currently doesn't exist in PS) is 130, and has been since SwSh as far as I know. I have some clips from me and someone from the Battle Stadium Discord who goes by WhitePhoenixAce as well as some Japanese resources stating this to be the case. Attached is proof of my Annihilape having nearly identical attack stats. (Also, sorry if I mess up anywhere, this is my first time sending a post like this)

https://wiki.ポケモン.com/wiki/なげつける
https://jara-blog.com/nagetsukeru
https://latest.pokewiki.net/なげつける

SwSh clips:

SV clips: https://media.discordapp.net/attach...18500701-B6CE40797459B0890BF7CEF68A4CE587.mp4

https://media.discordapp.net/attach...18503301-B6CE40797459B0890BF7CEF68A4CE587.mp4

Attachments

LouisIX

is a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
Me and Nyx tested this on cart (using Golduck instead of Rayquaza for conveience) and while proto did not activate when Golduck was in, as soon as Golduck switched out, it did activate correctly.

We also tested, and Cloud Nine does not make protosynthesis wear off if it proc'd due to the sun activating, it only wore off when the sun wore off. Currently implemented, Air Lock un-procs Protosynthesis, which is not the way I believe it works on cart.

Video credits to
RimarinaLOVE

what ps is doing rn:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1923320735-ad0mne8d7tmmvpvg4cv9jrx09d0hklypw

This may be influential in ubers mainly.

RimarinaLOVE also tested some further game and discovered that if air lock, drought, protosynethesis are started together, protosynethesis do not activate. So basically my guess is, protosynthesis needs sun effect intact to activate, but it only needs its existence to maintain activation. Further, Air lock/cloud nine does not stop protosynthesis to be activated by booster energy.

More The Loser's Game-relevant questions:
  • Right now, Showdown has it so that Chloroblast doesn't rip out 50% of your max. HP if it misses. Is this behaviour correct? Does Steel Beam still rip out 50% of your max. HP if it misses in Pokemon SV?

Question. Before, earlier in the meta, using ice Pinner on an Arboliva resulted in the Grass immediately popping right back up. That's no longer happening on Showdown. Was it a bug before that was fixed?

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
More The Loser's Game-relevant questions:
  • Right now, Showdown has it so that Chloroblast doesn't rip out 50% of your max. HP if it misses. Is this behaviour correct? Does Steel Beam still rip out 50% of your max. HP if it misses in Pokemon SV?
Just tested on cart; Steel Beam missing takes out 50% of the user's HP, while Chloroblast missing doesn't (ie. current PS behaviour is correct).

Just tested on cart; Steel Beam missing takes out 50% of the user's HP, while Chloroblast missing doesn't (ie. current PS behaviour is correct).
Hi! As a followup, this made me look at how it was defined in the moves pastebin, and I noticed that Chloroblast's recoil was defined in a similar way to Struggle and Clangorous Soul.
(It has -50 in the RawHealing column, where those two moves have -25 and -33 respectively; Mind Blown and Steel Beam both have 0 in that column and it is not used to define their recoil.
Confusingly, Chloroblast still shares EffectSequence 419 with Mind Blown and Steel Beam, which is why I always assumed they worked the same to begin with...)

This makes me want to ask, though: does Chloroblast recoil bypass Magic Guard?
To my knowledge, Magic Guard should prevent Mind Blown and Steel Beam from doing recoil damage, but it should not prevent Struggle and Clangorous Soul from damaging the user, and I now expect Chloroblast to behave like the latter two - I think it should still damage the user.

There's nothing with Magic Guard in the game just yet (there will be next week, so I'll try to remember to test it myself then if no one beats me to it P:), but it should be just fine to test by genning if anyone here has access to that!

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
Hi! As a followup, this made me look at how it was defined in the moves pastebin, and I noticed that Chloroblast's recoil was defined in a similar way to Struggle and Clangorous Soul.
(It has -50 in the RawHealing column, where those two moves have -25 and -33 respectively; Mind Blown and Steel Beam both have 0 in that column and it is not used to define their recoil.
Confusingly, Chloroblast still shares EffectSequence 419 with Mind Blown and Steel Beam, which is why I always assumed they worked the same to begin with...)

This makes me want to ask, though: does Chloroblast recoil bypass Magic Guard?
To my knowledge, Magic Guard should prevent Mind Blown and Steel Beam from doing recoil damage, but it should not prevent Struggle and Clangorous Soul from damaging the user, and I now expect Chloroblast to behave like the latter two - I think it should still damage the user.

There's nothing with Magic Guard in the game just yet (there will be next week, so I'll try to remember to test it myself then if no one beats me to it P:), but it should be just fine to test by genning if anyone here has access to that!
Just tested: Chloroblast (as well as High Jump Kick and Steel Beam) recoil gets negated, Struggle and Belly Drum goes through MGuard as expected.

How does Embody Aspect work? Does it grant stat stage boosts to Ogerpon (e.g. +1 to Speed) or just a flat multiplier? Does it reactivate when Ogerpon switches out and back in? ...It does activate when Ogerpon Terastallizes, right?

Last edited:

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
How does Embody Aspect work? Does it grant stat stage boosts to Ogerpon (e.g. +1 to Speed) or just a flat multiplier? Does it reactivate when Ogerpon switches out and back in? ...It does activate when Ogerpon Terastallizes, right?
This is what I found through my brief testing:
It grants stat stages that are visible in Y menu.
Yes it reactivates if you call it back and send it back out.
Yes it activates when Ogerpon Terastallizes.
1694592390687.png

Also Ogerpon has 4 regular forms and 4 in-battle forms, which revert in the box. The reversion table before that controlled which forms couldn't exist in the box has been updated to include Ogerpon at the end:

Code:
421, 1, 0, // Cherrim-Sunshine -> Cherrim
555, 1, 0, // Darmanitan-Zen -> Darmanitan
555, 3, 2, // Darmanitan-Galar-Zen -> Darmanitan-Galar
681, 1, 0, // Aegislash-Sword -> Aegislash
746, 1, 0, // Wishiwashi-School -> Wishiwashi
778, 1, 0, // Mimikyu-Busted -> Mimikyu
845, 1, 0, // Cramorant-Gulping -> Cramorant
845, 2, 0, // Cramorant-Gorging -> Cramorant
888, 1, 0, // Zacian-Crowned -> Zacian
889, 1, 0, // Zamazenta-Crowned -> Zamazenta
890, 1, 0, // Eternatus-Eternamax -> Eternatus
875, 1, 0, // Eiscue-Noice -> Eiscue
877, 1, 0, // Morpeko-Hangry -> Morpeko
351, 2, 0, // Castform-Rainy -> Castform
351, 3, 0, // Castform-Snowy -> Castform
351, 1, 0, // Castform-Sunny -> Castform
648, 1, 0, // Meloetta-Pirouette -> Meloetta
716, 1, 0, // Xerneas-Active -> Xerneas
718, 4, 0, // Zygarde-Complete -> Zygarde
774, 0, 7, // Minior-Meteor (Red) -> Minior-Red
774, 1, 8, // Minior-Meteor (Orange) -> Minior-Orange
774, 2, 9, // Minior-Meteor (Yellow) -> Minior-Yellow
774, 3, 10, // Minior-Meteor (Green) -> Minior-Green
774, 4, 11, // Minior-Meteor (Blue) -> Minior-Blue
774, 5, 12, // Minior-Meteor (Indigo) -> Minior-Indigo
774, 6, 13, // Minior-Meteor (Violet) -> Minior-Violet
934, 1, 0, // Palafin-Hero -> Palafin
1011, 4, 0, // Ogerpon-4 -> Ogerpon-0
1011, 5, 1, // Ogerpon-5 -> Ogerpon-1
1011, 6, 2, // Ogerpon-6 -> Ogerpon-2
1011, 7, 3 // Ogerpon-7 -> Ogerpon-3

Further Ogerpon questions:
  • Does Ogerpon stay in its Teal Mask form when it holds an item other than the masks (say, Life Orb) and/or goes itemless?
  • Just confirming: those other 3 forms can only be reached if Ogerpon holds the appropriate mask, right?
  • Ogerpon-4 through -7 are just the Terastallized forms...right?
  • Is Ogerpon really fixed Tera Grass by default/Teal, Tera Water with the Wellspring Mask, Tera Fire with the Hearthflame Mask, and Tera Rock with the Cornerstone Mask?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)