Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

This might require a datamine to confirm for obvious reasons of probability, but I'm curious.

With Sneasler's Dire Claw, I'm curious how all the status checks interact. Is there a way to determine if the Status for the move is rolled before Poison Touch from an Ability, or how the Statuses are rolled (i.e. 50% Chance at status and then randomly determined vs "Roll Poison, if no Poison then Roll Sleep, etc.")? Also, if a status cannot be inflicted, such as Dire Claw into an Electric Type (no Paralysis) or into Electric Terrain (no sleep), are the status odds 50% of the remaining eligible Conditions, or 50% - 16.67% split between them?
Regarding the Poison Touch interaction, Bulbapedia claims the move’s secondary applies first, and can even use up the target’s Lum berry before Poison Touch procs, and I was able to confirm that this interaction still happens in S/V (after like 15 pecha berries using poison touch poison fangs). This suggests that Dire Claw will roll its own status attempt before Poison Touch can kick in, making the overall status chance 1/6 sleep, 1/6 paralysis, and 19/60 (~1/3) poison.

Heika

I may very well be the worst player on this site
is a Pre-Contributor
I was toying with hisuan zorua/zoroark when I realised something about illusion. As you can see in this replay : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9lc-1849864011 currently on ps, when the illusion user is the last member of the team, illusion still works just fine, meaning it looks like you replaced a pokemon by itself.

But, that's not how it is on switch.
I don't own anything else than my phone to record it so I filmed a casual online match, sorry for the quality :

On console, if the Illusion user is last, Illusion doesn't activate.

Hey, I have a few questions about Illusion and Tera Blast

Do Fire Tera Blast use Fire Tera Blast animation when used by a hidden Zorua ? Do it keep Normal animation? The same way, would a Teraed Pokemon hiding a Zorua have a special animation on Tera Blast?

Also, do a Zorua tearing show its own Tera type, and if the hidden as Pokémon switches in would it have the Tera effects? Would Zorua have the hat?

Hey from what ive tested im fairly sure tera steel makes you susceptible to being trapped by magnet pull . haven't tested this since Extremely early meta (chansey had hell bell early) wanted to know if this is still correct ?

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Pursuit won't attempt to deal extra damage if the target is switching.
I don't know if this was tested or if it is possible to test it but giving it a shot anyway: if a mon attempts to tera while using pursuit against a switching out target, does it tera before or after it uses the move?

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
Hi. Before I delve into some responses to posts here, I tested something that I don't think has been mentioned here yet:

Kleavor's Stone Axe seems to not set Stealth Rock on the opponent's field if Kleavor faints to contact damage from effects like Rough Skin on the same turn. This is similar to the way that Rapid Spin does not clear hazards if the Rapid Spin user faints to contact damage. This notably differs from the current Showdown implementation, where Stone Axe incorrectly sets Stealth Rock even when Kleavor faints to the contact damage.

Do note that Kleavor has Sharpness in the linked footage, so Sheer Force isn't involved.

Hey from what ive tested im fairly sure tera steel makes you susceptible to being trapped by magnet pull . haven't tested this since Extremely early meta (chansey had hell bell early) wanted to know if this is still correct ?
Pokemon Terastallized into the Steel-type are trapped by Magnet Pull the same way that natural Steels are.

Do Fire Tera Blast use Fire Tera Blast animation when used by a hidden Zorua ? Do it keep Normal animation? The same way, would a Teraed Pokemon hiding a Zorua have a special animation on Tera Blast?

Also, do a Zorua tearing show its own Tera type, and if the hidden as Pokémon switches in would it have the Tera effects? Would Zorua have the hat?
Apologies if I don't answer your questions completely, since I'm not entirely clear on your wording. I've tried to be as thorough as possible with the tests linked below:

If Zoroark Terastallizes or uses Tera Blast while under the effects of Illusion, the game displays it as the Pokemon that Zoroark is disguised as Terastallizing or using Tera Blast.

If Zoroark Terastallizes while under the effects of Illusion, and then you switch out into the Pokemon that Zoroark is disguised as, then that Pokemon won't have any Terastallization visual effects or animations.

If Zoroark disguises as a Pokemon that is Terastallized, then Zoroark's Illusion doesn't mimic the Terastallization visual effects or the hat.

Kleavor's Stone Axe seems to not set Stealth Rock on the opponent's field if Kleavor faints to contact damage from effects like Rough Skin on the same turn. This is similar to the way that Rapid Spin does not clear hazards if the Rapid Spin user faints to contact damage. This notably differs from the current Showdown implementation, where Stone Axe incorrectly sets Stealth Rock even when Kleavor faints to the contact damage.

Do note that Kleavor has Sharpness in the linked footage, so Sheer Force isn't involved.
I assume Ceaseless Edge would be the same, but could you check out if it does the same? Mixed Samurott-H sounds like the most viable option in OU and it’d be pretty important to know if you can get up a spike or not.

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
I assume Ceaseless Edge would be the same, but could you check out if it does the same? Mixed Samurott-H sounds like the most viable option in OU and it’d be pretty important to know if you can get up a spike or not.
Hi. Yes, Ceaseless Edge is the same in this respect. Spikes don't get set if Samurott faints to contact damage.

I also ran a quick test to ensure that stat stage drops from moves like Pounce still activate when the user faints to contact damage as they did in past generations, which they do.

I'd like confirmation on this since Pure Hackmons discussion has started to bring this up: does your own Imposter with an Ability Shield fail to copy the opponent's ability (e.g. Neutralizing Gas)?

sorry if this counts as spam, but I wanted clarification on specifically Tera Blast’s animation, which changes when teraed, are those changes visible?

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
I'd like confirmation on this since Pure Hackmons discussion has started to bring this up: does your own Imposter with an Ability Shield fail to copy the opponent's ability (e.g. Neutralizing Gas)?
Hi. It seems it's a little complicated.

To start with the easy case, when Imposter Ditto with an Ability Shield enters the field against a Flash Fire Armarouge, Ditto successfully copies Flash Fire. It functions completely normally as best as I can tell.

For the more complex case, when Imposter Ditto with an Ability Shield enters the field against a Neutralizing Gas user, Ditto copies Neutralizing Gas according to the status screen. However, the "Neutralizing Gas filled the area" message does not trigger for Ditto, and if the opponent switches you can see that Ditto's copied Neutralizing Gas isn't actually working. In the clip, Ditto triggers Rough Skin despite it having copied Neutralizing Gas in theory. Since Neutralizing Gas isn't actually obtainable legitimately, it's hard to know if this is fully intentional or not, but it's how it works for now as best as I can tell.

In order to rule out the above being the result of double Neutralizing Gas itself rather than related to Imposter, I tested the case of two natural (non-Imposter) Neutralizing Gas users. In this case, the activation message triggers for both of them and one of them switching out still maintains the ability suppression effect, so the Ability Shield Imposter versus NGas situation is actually unique behavior and not just a weird issue with Neutralizing Gas itself.

I hope this made sense. I've been a bit busy lately so this was written a little faster than I'd like. Apologies for any issues. I notably haven't tested normal Transform with NGas yet, which could be relevant.

Vertigo

wouldn't you like to know
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Hi, I have a question about Hoopa/Hoopa-Unbound and Hyperspace Hole/Fury.
On Hyperspace Fury's Bulbapedia page, we can read:
In Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, if Hoopa Unbound knows this move and is changed into Confined form, Hyperspace Fury will be forgotten and replaced with Hyperspace Hole.
On Hyperspace Hole's page:
In Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, if Hoopa Confined knows this move and is changed into Unbound form, Hyperspace Hole will be forgotten and replaced with Hyperspace Fury.
Does this mean it's not possible to have both at the same time? Is there a way to transfer Hoopa in the game allowing it to retain both moves when in Unbound form?

Hi!
A while has passed since SV came out, so I wanted to double check a little something.
Both Bulbapedia and even the Smogon dex imply that Supreme Overlord's boost caps at x1.5, where as RoiDadadou's sheet with information states that it caps at x1.6 instead.
Which one is correct?

EDIT:
Double post, yay.

Supreme Overlord isn't an attack modifier, but a base power modifier.

It works like this:
- It uses the total deaths in the current battle, same as what Last Respects uses. Reviving an ally doesn't decrease this counter.
- The move is capped at 5 deaths. Even though the counter goes up to 100, any further deaths won't increase the effect.
- Base Power is calculated using float arithmetic, using this table:

0 KO = 1.0 multiplier
1 KO = 1.1 multiplier
2 KO = 1.2 multiplier
3 KO = 1.3 multiplier
4 KO = 1.4 multiplier
5 KO = 1.5 multiplier

View attachment 470525

The value is rounded up.

Code:
Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 18, 0x00000044355675b4 in ?? ()
$45 = 233

Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 21, 0x0000004435567d88 in ?? ()
$46 = 51

Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 19, 0x0000004435567d98 in ?? ()
$47 = 75

Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 20, 0x0000004435567d9c in ?? ()
$48 = 80
Level 75 Kingambit with 233 attack vs 51 def Oinkologne, using Iron Head, no deaths.

Code:
Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 18, 0x00000044355675b4 in ?? ()
$53 = 233

Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 21, 0x0000004435567d88 in ?? ()
$54 = 51

Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 19, 0x0000004435567d98 in ?? ()
$55 = 75

Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 20, 0x0000004435567d9c in ?? ()
$56 = 88
Level 75 Kingambit with 233 attack vs 51 def Oinkologne, using Iron Head, 1 death.

Code:
Thread 13 "JobThread2" hit Breakpoint 18, 0x00000044355675b4 in ?? ()
$57 = 233

Thread 13 "JobThread2" hit Breakpoint 21, 0x0000004435567d88 in ?? ()
$58 = 51

Thread 13 "JobThread2" hit Breakpoint 19, 0x0000004435567d98 in ?? ()
$59 = 75

Thread 13 "JobThread2" hit Breakpoint 20, 0x0000004435567d9c in ?? ()
$60 = 104
Level 75 Kingambit with 233 attack vs 51 def Oinkologne, using Iron Head, 3 deaths.

Code:
Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 18, 0x00000044355675b4 in ?? ()
$97 = 233

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 21, 0x0000004435567d88 in ?? ()
$98 = 51

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 19, 0x0000004435567d98 in ?? ()
$99 = 75

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 20, 0x0000004435567d9c in ?? ()
$100 = 111
Level 75 Kingambit with 233 attack vs 51 def Oinkologne, using Kowtow Cleave, 3 deaths.
Oh, someone pointed out this reply to me.
Thanks for the explanation!

Last edited:
Hi, I have a question about Hoopa/Hoopa-Unbound and Hyperspace Hole/Fury.
On Hyperspace Fury's Bulbapedia page, we can read:

On Hyperspace Hole's page:

Does this mean it's not possible to have both at the same time? Is there a way to transfer Hoopa in the game allowing it to retain both moves when in Unbound form?
Since I had Hoppa with both moves on it to begin with, I was able to confirm this

Hoopa gets its moveset reset upon being put into SV (expected); checking the Home Move Reminder does indeed only have Hyperspace Hole
After buying the bottle and doing the transformation into Unbound (this actually happens on the field now, surprisingly), Hoopa immediately learns Hyperspace Fury
Checking its Reminder list further confirms that it cannot get Hyperspace Hole anymore.

I also put it back into Home. Unlike Bank it doesn't automatically change back to the Confined form, but as you imagine it still only gets Fury, not Hole.

And obviously, turning it back into Confined has it unlearn Hole and learn Fury in its place.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
with respect to this thread in Policy Review:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tiering-fe-and-nfe-forms-together.3722214/

The whole premise is that if Basculin (-B and -R formes that existed pre-Hisui) can't benefit from holding eviolite but Basculin-W can, should they be tiered separately. Similar questions posed about Pikachu formes as well.

Can you confirm whether or not this is true? Do all formes of Basculin make use of eviolite, now that Basculegion is an available evolution for the species (even though -B and -R cannot actually evolve)? Based on other similar cases, I believe the answer would be yes (which would make the PR thread moot), but wanted confirmation.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tiering-fe-and-nfe-forms-together.3722214/

The whole premise is that if Basculin (-B and -R formes that existed pre-Hisui) can't benefit from holding eviolite but Basculin-W can, should they be tiered separately. Similar questions posed about Pikachu formes as well.

Can you confirm whether or not this is true? Do all formes of Basculin make use of eviolite, now that Basculegion is an available evolution for the species (even though -B and -R cannot actually evolve)? Based on other similar cases, I believe the answer would be yes (which would make the PR thread moot), but wanted confirmation.
As far as I'm aware, that thread is already moot because it's incorrect about the reasoning that forms are tiered separately. Basculin white isn't tiered separately from red/blue because it's NFE, it's tiered separately because it's a different form. It's the same difference as, for example, Sneasel vs. Sneasel-H; the fact that Basculin-W has the same typing and base stats as red/blue is irrelevant in this case and would be given the same treatment if any parameters were different.

As for Eviolite, it was tested earlier in this thread that any Pokemon with evolution parameters in the code is affected by Eviolite (regardless of whether the evolution data is usable ingame). So that includes Basculin-W, Stantler, and both forms of Sneasel. It doesn't affect Basculin Red or Blue because neither of those forms have evolution data. The policy thread is correct in saying that Eviolite does not affect them.

Basculin Red and Blue can't use Eviolite, same as how regular Farfetch'd, Linoone, Corsola, and Mr. Mime can't even though their Galarian forms can.

Didn't see this behavior recorded anywhere for SV, and the idea was being tossed around in the OU forum, so I decided to test this interaction for myself.

Magician does not activate when your attack triggers Eject Pack. Sorry Hyperspace Fury fans.

Edit: Just realized I didn't make this clear, but I had tricked the Psyduck and Iron Ball earlier, which is why my Fennekin is moving first.

Last edited:
Which pokemon from legends cannot have anything but a strange ball in scarlet
I think it's just Enamorus, until GO releases raids for it. Hisuian Voltorb can be obtained in any of the Pokeballs available in Go, and everything else has a gender so they can get most(but not all) Pokeballs on them via cross-breeding with non-Hisuian relatives.

I also believe breeding a Pokemon in a Strange Ball results in the offspring being in a normal Pokeball similar to Master and Cherish Balls, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong

Which pokemon from legends cannot have anything but a strange ball in scarlet
Unless I'm forgetting a quirk in ball passing via breeding...
Pokemon: Sneasler, Overqwil, Basculegion, Enamorus.
Stantler, Scyther, Ursaring can all obviously come in a variety of Pokeballs, be ported over to LA, evolve, and come back while retaining the ball.

Forms: Growlithe/Arcanine, Voltorb/Electrode, Basculin, Zorua/Zorora
The Hisuian starters, Sliggoo/Goodra, Avalugg, Braviary, & Lilligant get around this by bringing their pre-evolutions in from another game in a different ball.

Technically all of these pokemon, except for Enamorus, I think can also come in PokeBalls since if you breed a strange ball I think it just defaults to a PokeBall. Anything that's available in Go can also come in Pokeball, Great Ball or Ultra Ball (& Master Ball soon, I suppose). And obviously Zoroark specifically can come in a Cherish Ball.

e: Ah Nokocchi is right, you can pass the ball of either parent in recent generations provided they're the same species

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Here are some preliminary dumps of the personal data (which includes move data) from HOME 3.0.
We haven't analyzed it yet but I wanted to drop it here to get more eyes on it.
Should be sorted by game, and ordered by level, move index, and move name.
I expect this is what it's referencing to decide how relearns work; if you had a mon that had visited a game you don't own, HOME should still have a way to know what it can relearn from that game.

Edit: This is not being used for GO transfers. They seem to use a server-sided list of relearn moves that's mostly based on LGPE, USUM, and SWSH. But certain ones like Zebstrika match nothing but SV.

The code names are:
beluga = LGPE
orion = SWSH
delphis = BDSP
hayabusa = LA
titan = SV

EDIT: swapped the upload with rev2 which has all the fields filled out.
EDIT2: swapped the upload with latest to fix the LA move dump for mons not in LA.

Attachments

Last edited:
Yeah, been experimenting with breeding Issuians (as I like to keep regionals and side evolutions in Repeat Balls); Ball transfer is as it has always been, regional form breeding still requires Everstone to get non-natives from eggs, White stripe Basculin is not counted as a regional and breeds like the other Basculin forms, and, so far, I've been unable to get Hidden Abilities from non-regional fatherss into regional offspring: Justified male Kanto Arcanine x female Hissuian Arcanine (with Everstone) did not yield Rock Head Hissuian Growlithe. I was able to get HA Galarian Farfetch'd with a HA Kantonian Farfetch'd and a Ditto in Sword, so I'm not sure if this is new or standard breeding behaviour.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 18)