Scarf Moxie Gyarados?

With Gen. 6 out for a few months now and things beginning to stabilize, I figured that now was a good time to post an RMT about one of my favorite teams I've created so far. It began as a bit of a joke concept: stick 6 pokes that all have a Mega Evolution on the same team and play with the opponent's head a bit. As I assembled the team, however, I found that I was actually creating something with potential. I continued to work with it and make adjustments; as a result, here is my team that is up for rating:

Team Overview:

The goal of this team is to open up sweeping opportunities for Scarf Moxie Gyarados. This is accomplished with the aid of three major forms of residual damage: Sandstorm (via Tyranitar), Stealth Rock (via Garchomp), and Leech Seed damage (via Venusaur-Mega). Scizor and Alakazam greatly aid the team by revenge killing various threats, should they get out of hand. Now for a more in-depth analysis of each team member...

Detailed Analyses:

The Nitty Gritty
Tyranitar (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef

- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

What's his job?
Say hello to the new face of special tanking. Tyranitar's job is to take special hits while also providing Sand support, which serves two functions: providing residual damage and interfering with the opponent's weather, should they be using it. He can also put those offensive stats to use striking backing surprisingly hard, considering the lack of investment.

Why the EVs and item choice?
The EVs together with the Assault Vest provide practically unparalleled Special bulk, as shown below. All calculations assume Sand is the prevailing weather:

252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Aura Sphere: 59.4 - 71.2%
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Focus Blast: 59.1 - 70.7%
+1 252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz: 40 - 47.5%
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump: 32.9 - 38.6%
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor: 25.2 - 29.9%
252 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump: 25.2 - 29.7%

Obviously, Tyranitar can eat any neutral move for breakfast, and quite a number of super-effective ones, too.

Why the move choices?
Since he is holding an Assault Vest, the moveset is that of an all-out attacker. Stone Edge and Crunch are standard fare, helping him punish the various Bug-, Fire-, Flying-, Ice-, Psychic-, and Ghost-types that he encounters. This also makes him arguably the best answer available to Mega-Charizard Y; lure a Solarbeam (Gyarados is a good option for this), switch in Tyranitar, simultaneously weaken the Solarbeam AND trap the Charizard (due to the now-required charge turn), and dispatch it with Stone Edge as you take a pittance from the Solarbeam (14.8% maximum). The special attacks have their select niche targets. Fire Blast roasts Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory that boldly decide to try and set hazards. Ice Beam is mostly for Gliscor, though it occasionally sees use against the 4x weak Dragons as well.

Any notable synergy?
Tyranitar synergizes quite well with the rest of the team. He gladly sponges the special Fire-, Ice-, and Electric-type moves that plague the rest of the team. Venusaur makes an especially handy teammate. He loves Tyranitar's ability to take Flying-type attacks, while Venusaur soaks up Fighting moves aimed at Tyranitar can also share valuable healing via Leech Seed.

Possible changes?
I've played with the idea of decreasing the bulk invesment in favor of pumping offenses. An alternate spread of 252 HP / 176 SpA / 80 SDef, Quiet nature, retains a good deal of special bulk. It also guarantees an OHKO on Gliscor with Ice Beam, an OHKO on Ferrothorn with Fire Blast, and a 68.8% chance to OHKO a 4 HP MegaLucario switch-in with Fire Blast. Ice Beam in general also becomes a much more potent Dragon-slaying tool, OHKOing standard Salamence, Garchomp, and Dragonite (if Multiscale is broken). In the end, I have found that I prefer Tyranitar's over-the-top Special tanking ability to this slightly more offensive variant. After all, that is the reason he was put on the team in the first place.

Bruce
Garchomp (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Toxic

What's his job?
Part two of the residual damage plan: Stealth Rock. This was my first team featuring Garchomp as the Stealth Rock user, and I haven't been disappointed. The amount of offensive pressure he places on the opponent makes setting up Rocks a fairly simple prospect. His power is also not to be underestimated; with 130 Base Attack and two good STABs, he can at times also fill the role of early game attacker, softening targets for Gyarados later on.

The EVs are fairly standard for a physical attacker. Maximum Attack investment lets him deal plenty of damage if needed, while maximum Speed with a Jolly nature lets him troll the Base 100 Speed bracket. Leftovers is the item of choice here. Since hazard control is so common in Gen. 6, Garchomp will likely need to come in multiple times in the match to set up Rocks. As such, I prefer the longevity of Leftovers to the power of Life Orb.

Why the move choices?
As far as moves go, the first three are fairly self-explanatory. Stealth Rock provides valuable residual damage, especially against Rock-weak targets (looking at you again, Charizard...). Dragon Claw and Earthquake provide Garchomp with its notorious dual STAB. The last move, however, may be met with a few raised eyebrows. I initially ran Iron Head to nail unsuspecting Fairies; however, given that many Fairy types are either neutral to Steel or simply better handled by other teammates, I chose to replace Iron Head with Toxic. This choice was made almost exclusively based on one Pokemon: Mandibuzz. Countless times has Garchomp faced Mandibuzz only to fail to deal significant damage, watch Rocks be removed with Defog, and helplessly watch as Mandibuzz Roosts and switches, ready to do it all again later. With Toxic, Mandibuzz can be stalled at least semi-effectively, making it easier to keep Rocks up. Toxic also has the bonus of surprising bulky-Waters, though Venusaur generally deals with them far more efficiently.

Any notable synergy?
In terms of defensive synergy, there are rather few significant perks to using Garchomp on this team. He does sport a nifty Electric immunity to contrast with Gyarados' 4x weakness in addition to resistances to Fire, Rock, and Poison. His Rough Skin ability also comes in handy to further chip away at users of contact moves. Offensively, Garchomp is capable of disposing of slower Dragons that may impede a Gyarados Waterfall sweep later on as well as inflicting decent damage in general, again aiding Gyarados in its sweeping job.

Possible Changes?
Any suggestions on better ways to kill Mandibuzz are welcome. Stone Edge doesn't 2HKO without a critical hit, by the way, even if Garchomp is Adamant. All in all, I think Toxic is the most solid option here.

Flora and Fauna
Venusaur (F) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll (Thick Fat)
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpA / 12 Spd
IVs: 0 Atk

- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Protect Hidden Power Fire

What's her job?
Venusaur fills in part three of the residual damage formula. Thanks to Leech Seed, Venusaur is able to simultaneously create residual damage on the opponent, provide a small bit of healing for the team, and force switches, letting Stealth Rock damage pile on. In addition, her typing and post-Mega Evolution bulk allow her to stick around for quite a while to soak up hits. She also serves as the team's most reliable answer to Azumarill thanks to her typing and bulk, and she beats Breloom thanks to a Spore immunity and resistance to Breloom's most common moves. On top of all that, she is also the team's first line of defense against Rain teams.

252 HP EVs provides a big buff to Venusaur's all-around bulk. 244 SpA EVs allows Venusaur to deal fair amounts of damage with her offensive moves (and thus also provides marginal extra healing via Giga Drain). The 12 Speed EVs serve to speed-creep other defensive Base 80s, particularly (dun dun dun...) Mandibuzz. This allows Venusaur to use Leech Seed before being Taunted. The 0 Attack IV, while largely insignificant, minimizes damage from confusion and Foul Play. The Venusaurite is a no-brainer since it is a requirement to get Mega-Venusaur in the first place.

Why the move choices?
As mentioned already, Leech Seed is an amazing move to have for multiple reasons. Giga Drain provides a solid STAB option that further enhances Venusaur's healing capabilities. STAB Sludge Bomb decimates the majority of Grass-types (who are immune to Leech Seed) as well as Fairy-types. With Hidden Power Fire Venusaur can severely hurt Ferrothorn (one of the few Grass-types Venusaur can't break) as well as KO Forretress and Scizor.

Any notable synergy?
As mentioned in Tyranitar's section, these two complement each other quite well in terms of defensive typing, while Venusaur's Leech Seed can heal Tyranitar (or any team member, for that matter). Venusaur also provides an important Water resistance for the team, shared only with Gyarados (who isn't built to take hits). Offensively Venusaur is able to destroy (or at least weaken) many of the Water and Grass types that might attempt to stop Gyarados' rampage.

Possible changes?
I have considered replacing Protect with Hidden Power Fire. I'm usually reluctant to use Protect for fear of giving my opponent a free turn to switch or boost their stats.

Gundam
Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd

- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

What's his job?
Scizor serves a number of purposes. Offensively, his main two tasks are to revenge kill with Bullet Punch or gain/keep momentum with U-Turn. Defensively his Steel typing and not-too-shabby bulk allows him to take on Dragon-type attacks, though he must be wary of the Fire-type coverage moves they often carry.

With Base 65 Speed and Bullet Punch's priority, any hefty investment in Speed is wasted. Instead, HP is nearly maximized for additional bulk while Attack is maximized for the biggest possible damage output. 8 Speed EVs allow him to get the jump on other Base 65s with no Speed investment. Meanwhile, a Choice Band serves to further augment Scizor's physical prowess.

Why the move choices?
Bullet Punch's power and priority are Scizor's claim to fame, and the introduction of Steel-weak Fairies has only served to make it even better. U-Turn has already been mentioned as a terrific momentum grabber. Pursuit catches the fleeing Psychic types that hope to avoid a U-Turn. Superpower delivers a hefty blow to Ferrothorn and can OHKO Scizor's worst enemies Heatran and Magnezone on the switch-in with good prediction. It's also worth mentioning that U-Turn and Superpower can both also catch Mandibuzz on a Roost (seriously, I hate that thing...)

Any notable synergy?
As a revenge killer, Scizor doesn't really bring any kind of defensive synergy to the team except for a nice Dragon resistance. Offensively, he doesn't really pave the way for a Gyarados sweep, either. He mostly exists to kill threats that are too fast for the rest of the team to handle.

Possible changes?
None, really. I'm not a fan of Quick Attack, switching to a Scarf set ruins the power behind Bullet Punch, and any boosting/Baton Passing sets are outclassed by Mega-Scizor. Unless a large number of people object, I'm pretty sure this guy stays as he is.

Inigo Montoya
Alakazam (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
IVs: 0 Attack

- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Fire Thunder Wave

What's his job?
As his nickname suggests (for those who get the reference), he is bent on revenge... killing. With great Speed and fantastic Special Attack Alakazam is able to dish out some big hits, and with the Magic Guard + Focus Sash combo even the most powerful sweepers will take two hits to bring him down. This makes him a great emergency stop to any boosted sweepers.

As an all-out attacker, 252 SpA EVs are a must. 252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature lets Alakazam outspeed most of the un-Scarfed metagame. Like Venusaur, the 0 Attack IV reduces confusion damage; Foul Play, however, is a clean 2HKO regardless of the Attack IVs. Meanwhile, the Focus Sash is absolutely essential to guarantee that he fulfills his revenge-killing duties.

Why the move choices?
Psyshock vs. Psychic is always debatable; in this case, as a revenge killer he needs to be able to damage an opponent regardless of whether or not their SDef is boosted (as is the case with users of Calm Mind or Quiver Dance). Therefore, Psyshock gets the nod here. Dazzling Gleam nets coverage on Dragon- and (weakened) Dark-types. Focus Blast nails many Steel- and Dark-types (most notably Bisharp) for the most damage possible. Thunder Wave serves as a panic button against a speedy sweeper that even Alakazam can't deal with in one hit.

Any notable synergy?
Alakazam, with his frailty and Psychic typing, provides no synergy defensively. He can provide some offensive support to Gyarados by eliminating Ferrothorn and certain Dragon types. On the whole, like Scizor he essentially exists as insurance to stop a rampaging enemy.

Possible changes?
Unlike Scizor, Alakazam has a number of other options that may merit a look. These options include Calm Mind (which I wouldn't bother with on this set, personally), Encore (a decent way to potentially lock the opponent into something harmless), or Thunder Wave (the best of these in my opinion, to slow down a Speed-boosted sweeper).

Magikarp's Revenge!
Gyarados (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd

- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Frustration Stone Edge

What's his job?
He's the main sweeper of the team and a nasty, nasty surprise for the many opponents not expecting this set. He can also pop in and out early-to-midgame for some Scarf revenge killing shenanigans, but he's best used near the end to rack up Moxie boosts and plow through a weakened team.

Equipping Gyarados with a Choice Scarf solves his Speed issues without taking a turn to set up Dragon Dance. Attack is maximized, while enough is invested in Speed to outrun Mega-Manectric. The rest is poured into HP to better absorb hits as he (hopefully) destroys the opponent's team.

Why the move choices?
Waterfall is the sweeping tool of choice for any physical Water-type and is by and large the move to pick for the endgame. The other moves have their share of use earlier on the match. Earthquake takes out Steel- and Electric-types that try to stand up to Gyarados (Mega-Lucario and Mega-Manectric are favorite prey items). Ice Fang takes out most Dragon-types, should Gyarados be required to. Stone Edge allows Gyarados to OHKO bulky Volcarona and also takes a decent chunk out of the rare Kyurem-B and the far-too-common Rotom-W.

Any notable synergy?
Gyarados can switch into Ground- and Fighting-type attacks aimed at Tyranitar, while Tyranitar, Venusaur, and Garchomp can all take on the Electric-type moves that Gyarados despises. Gyarados can also sponge the Fire-type attacks aimed at Scizor, though he needs to be careful of the burn chance associated with many of those attacks.

Possible changes?
Bounce and Stone Edge is also available as a physical move, but Bounce is unreliable (2 turns and only 85% accurate). and Stone Edge's coverage is rather redundant.

Conclusion:
I know this was a long read, but thank you for taking the time to look over this. If you have any suggestions I am very open to input, whether it be moveset changes, entire teammate changes, or simply pointing out major threats (like DD Mega-Charizard X or SD Bisharp). Again, thank you and I hope to see some good critiquing!

Try It for Yourself!:

The original team:
The Nitty Gritty (Tyranitar) (M) @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Bruce (Garchomp) (M) @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Flora and Fauna (Venusaur) (F) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SAtk / 12 Spd
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Gundam (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Inigo Montoya (Alakazam) (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SAtk / 228 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magikarp's Revenge! (Gyarados) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Frustration

The current version:
The Nitty Gritty (Tyranitar) (M) @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Bruce (Garchomp) (M) @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Flora and Fauna (Venusaur) (F) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SAtk / 12 Spd
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Gundam (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Inigo Montoya (Alakazam) (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave

Magikarp's Revenge! (Gyarados) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge

Last edited:
First I would like to say that this is amazing. This entire team will keep the opponent guessing till they see mega venasaur. This team will disorient and debilitated other players. The sheer discomfort that this brings to the opponent is crazy lol. The team has excellent synergy as well. Here are my analysis and suggestions:
  • If you tried out your suggested ev change in tyranitar for more damage would be better go for it. It has a lot of spD with assault vest added and if you find that it works better for you do it.
  • I see that toxic garchomp has it's merits.
  • Putting go fire on venasaur will help it cover the mons that you've stated. So make that change since mega venasaur doesn't have to stall out since it has attacking force behind it.
  • CB scizor "if it's ain't broke don't fix it."
  • For alakazam, instead of hp fire I would run focus blast. Giving venasaur hp fire lets it deal with those mons and it is better suited to deal with them(doesn't go down to sash after bullet punch). Giving alakazam focus blast allows it to deal with heatran and bisharp(currently rising in popularity). Though focus blast misses, you are essentially allowed room for error since you do have a sash so you can attack twice just in case to make sure you get the revenge faints. Also run 252 hp and 252 speed, alakazam is frail and the hp investments you gave it does not help it survive at all and allows it to lose against some speed ties and other normally slower pokemon.
  • On gyarados, instead of frustration you should use stone edge. It does the same damage to specially defensive rotom-w(which you shouldn't stay in against anyways since volt switch is a guranteed Ohko), it pulls bulky quiver dance volcarona which lives a waterfall for sure(takes 71.1%-84%) and it deals heavy damage(51.5%-64.2%) to kyurem-b. Edit: also takes care of charizard-y in the sun and deals 65.1%-77.1% to charizard-x. Frustration can leave you frustrated especially if your opponent goes into a ghost such as aegislash or gengar. You having to switch out will give away that you are choiced.
These are my suggestions. Enjoy your well thought out team :].

Thanks for the rate!

Even though I suggested HP Fire on Venusaur as a 'possible change,' it never occurred to me that making that change could allow Zam to run Focus Mis... Blast (and therefore have a perfect Speed IV, too!). Definitely making that change.

Also, Frustration on Gyara was a lol filler move that would hit a Rotom-W switch-in, and do so more than 80% of the time. I did have Stone Edge for about 20-25 battles and never clicked it once... However, I also never encountered Bulky Volc or Kyu-B in those matches. I had kind of forgotten to account for those. :\ I'll switch back to Stone Edge.

For now, I think Ttar will remain fully specially defensive.

Thanks again!

Posting again, partially as a bump and partially as an update:

Finally got around to editing in importable versions of the team (both original and current).

Also started a new account on PS!, on which this team is currently 18-0. :O

I've also begun tesing Life Orb + Stone Edge on Garchomp, which 2HKOes Mandibuzz after the damage from the Rocks it comes in to remove.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)