SV OU Savouras Stellar Excadrill Sand Team (#1941)

RMTexcadrill.png

1. Importable of the team
2. Introduction
3. Teambuilding Process
4. Each mon important synergies
5. Threats to the team
6. Recorded live of the climb

7. Friends who help

1. https://pokepast.es/8162710a58e6605c

2. Introduction

With the new DLC released i took my time to experiment and get used to the enviroment we were re-introduced and after various builds this has been my favourite and most successful team so far. I wanted to quickly cook an RMT before SPL begins which wont be allowing me unfortunately to be posting RMTs for awhile as ill probably want to use em in the Tournament so i took some time yesterday and climbed to 1940 elo in 2 hours from the 1600 i was at. I built and used this team in OU Premier League too, team worked flawlessly for me both in the tour and ladder so i thought it will be a good team to share with ya all. This also looks very much like a standard ORAS lookin build which is my favourite generation to play as its using pokemons and synergies that were good in that generation so yeah i enjoyed it alot.
I am Savouras, im a new generations OU player & builder, active in many realms of Competitive Pokemon including Ladder, Tournaments, Money matches and Draft leagues so this is my Stellar :excadrill: Sand team i hope you like it.

3. Teambuilding Process

Building Sand automatically means that u more likely have to go in a Bulky offensive build, cant go too fat and cant go too offensive as you have already invested two water / ground weak pokemons that need both support into breaking aswell as dealing with various metagame threats defensively. For breaking i included various fast, hard hitting or threatning setup sweeping pokemons in :dragapult: and :keldeo: aswell as the support of Spikes putting things in range of our hits. Defensively my team is using a max spdef :amoonguss: absorbing various hits in the special side and :skarmory: in the physical dealing with many threatning metagame defining pokemons like :kingambit: :iron-boulder: and :meowscarada:. Its a sturdy team giving you room to breath and maneuver versus most threats aswell as having aton of different speedtiers to be revenge killing and dealing damage with.

4. Each mon important synergies

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe :
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

:dragapult: very naturally fits a sand team like this, its a very consistent hitting pokemon with decent damage, good coverage and a beautiful speedtier. Ghost offensively with heavy dark support is always nice and spammable but also strong Draco Meteor giving us the benefit of hitting the main Unaware users for alot of dmg as it ignores the -2 drop so pokemons like :dondozo: and :clodsire: is super nice. Infiltrator from the other hand allows you to deal with any :Zamazenta: set with the help of :Skarmory: and :Amoonguss: even something like Substitute tera steel set which i felt is really important as it gets many setup opportunities versus our sand core. Finally Tera Fairy i used not only for the good general utilities versus dark types like Sucker Punch :Kingambit: but for 2 other very specific reasons. 1. is :gouging-fire:, at +1 it can never kill you without doing tera ground or using a dragon type atk so u can effectively revenge kill it on the spot, 2. :Walking-Wake: making it alittle bit more difficult to just spam Draco Meteors. Hydro Steam is usually fine as we have a Max Spdef :Amoonguss: but Draco Meteor feels very spammable versus the build so I often invested the tera fairy on :dragapult: to nuke :Walking-Wake: is a great trade i feel versus Sun Teams.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Justified
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Calm Mind
- Vacuum Wave

:Keldeo: is a cool special attacker as it has decent speed, decent damage, decently strong priority and a decently useful defensive typing allowing it to provide defensive utilities versus various offensive threats like :Greninja:, Dark Types, :Volcarona:, :Cinderace: and more. It can pressure offensively :Ting-Lu: quite well which is a very annoying pokemon for both :Dragapult: and my Sand core otherwise, it hits :Primarina: in the defensive stat over the special defense which is something the other water types cant rly do except one guy :Ogerpon-Wellspring: that cant use items. Heavy Duty Boots is a very important item in this as we have basically freed alot our team from using a :Great-Tusk:. Instead we only rely on :Excadrill: spinning which is arguably worse than :Great-Tusk: at doing the Spins so Running Boots :Keldeo: over using another hazards weak water type is a big plus. Finally we did Tera Fighting really allowing :keldeo: to get past Spdef checks and normally would be checks / revenge killers so pokemons like :Raging-Bolt:, :Meowscarada:, :Serperior: and :Kyurem:. Losing that water type there felt very useful to me while boosting our Secret Sword and Vacuum Wave damage.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

Choice Scarf :Tyranitar: i thought is such a meme until i tried it. We used to do this set in ORAS and funnily enough it was the number 1 :tyranitar: set for awhile but since it lost Pursuit and the metagames have been increasing in speed more and more every generation that pitiful 364 speed after scarf i didnt think was gonna be enough. Still it felt really great when using it, it was just enough speed to limit various metagame threats like :Gliscor:, :Enamorus:, :Kyurem:, :Volcarona: and :Serperior:. Knock Off being such a useful utility move in a spikes team and being so spammable using scarf allowing me to get rid of Heavy Duty Boots ,Leftovers or Rocky Helmets from opposing defensive pokemons so like :Ting-Lu:, :Great-tusk:, :Landorus-therian: was super nice. We are using 2 stabs and Ice Punch + Low Kick for last moves. Low Kick allows us to revenge kill :Kingambit: while eating boosted Sucker Punch for breakfast, Ice Punch hits all the bulky ground, dragon and grass type Pokemons for more. Tera Ice not only allows us to boost the Ice Punch dealing more dmg to grounds and gettin important rolls vs them but it had a cool interaction with Chilly Reception :Slowking-galar: which is a Pokemon i often brought :Tyranitar: in, it uses the move turning my sand into snow then my :Tyranitar: teras getting the 1.5x Boost in Defense from Snow eating Headlong Rush easily and destroying :Great-Tusk: for my :Excadrill: and Spikes :Skarmory: in the back.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Stellar :Excadrill: is the reason i started this build in the first place. :Excadrill: is a beautiful pokemon with an incredible typing and offensive stats. Compared to Booster Energy which is a 1 time thing :Excadrill: can use that massive 604 speedtier again and again to revenge kill opposing fast threats which is super important against offensive teams being everywhere. With Stellar your immediate damage and revenge killing capabilities are enhanced by alot and it does not require you to make your defensive utilities worse by running something like Life Orb to be hitting hard. There are various calcs and reasons im liking this pokemon and set alot like at +2 ohking Offensive :Great-Tusk:, :Gliscor:, :Archaludon:, :Raging-Bolt: and so much more, this Pokemon and set is simply incredible versus the current meta. Stellar is also prefered over any other defensive tera like Ghost, Flying, Water or other offensive ones so Ground or Steel as u still boost your immediate damage getting the important kills while keeping the Ground Steel typing allowing you to be a Dragon Resist, not be weak to Grassy Glide, Extreme Speed and boosting your Iron Head vs :Landorus-therian: and :Gliscor:.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 Spe
Bold Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Roost
- Spikes

Iron Defense :Skarmory: is a really nice pokemon that we got back with the new DLC. Spikes are great but :Skarmory: is often threatning on its own boosting its defense and damage output with this set. It checks so many physical attackers even things that it shouldnt because it can tera aswell. :kingambit:, Ground Types, :Deoxys-Speed:, :Dragonite:, Grass types or even something like :Gouging-Fire: can be checked with tera invested or simply by giving it aton of recoil. Helmet punishes aton of momentum attempts from U-Turn and punishes random hits from physical attackers puttin them in range and stacking little by little damage with Hazards and Sand. Body Press with Tera Fighting hits very hard and things that normally would come in on Skarmory and threaten it out gotta think twice switching in on such strong hit. Speed is for Adamant :Kingambit: and :Azumarill:, didnt feel the need to go more speed for Jolly :Kingambit: as u then alot weaker versus other physical attackers like :Roaring-Moon:, instead the team has other dark resists for :kingambit: to revenge kill it.

Amoonguss @ Eject Pack
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Spore
- Clear Smog
- Toxic

We have a really cool :Amoonguss: set using Eject Pack Leaf Storm double status. It doesnt let the momentum drop versus :Gholdengo: while often breaking its balloon allowing :Excadrill: to revenge kill it easily. It is Max Spdef being able to eat special hits easily so against things like :Raging-Bolt:, :Walking-Wake:, :Enamorus:, :Iron-Valiant:, :Archaludon: or even fire and ice type hits especially with the ability to tera water so against :Volcarona:, :Iron-Moth: and :Kyurem:. Its all in one check to many threats that doesnt cost me momentum, instead it can get things to sleep gaining me momentum or even shut down setup attempts with the toxic clear smog combo in the back so versus things like :Skeledirge:, :Hatterene: and :Serperior:.

5. Threats to the Team

a. :Ting-Lu: Balance. Ting Lu is a pokemon that with proper play and not letting it eat 20 million hits can cause big trouble versus my team. My hardest hits dont really effect it and Keldeo isnt a very difficult Pokemon to switch against. Often requires offensive play to be able to get past Ting Lu dondozo Slowking / toxapex cores getting threats to sleep with Amoonguss and knocking off items early with our Tyranitar. Use Sand wisely versus those cores too, the little damage every turn matters.

b. :Gouging-fire:. This mon is such a big threat for almost every team. We do have in theory the tools to eat hits from it or even revenge kill with Excadrill but it all depends on its set. If its the Burning Bolwark set our excadrill and skarm are screwd or if its the tera ground EQ booster energy set our Tera Fairy Dragapult is screwd. Careful maneuver vs it and identifying its set has saved me against it.

c. Life Orb :Deoxys-Speed:. Nuke that shit from the tier please, has coverage and decent damage for every damn pokemon in the tier. Psycho Boost for our Amoonguss and Keldeo, Superpower for Drill and Tyranitar, Knock Off for our Dragapult. Really only Skarmory can eat hits and thats gonna be at the cost of hazards, losing our helmet and alot of valuable PP on Roost.. and thats if u have identified its the LO set cuz it could just be Taunt Hazards spam so imagine switching or leading Skarmory on that..

6. Recorded live of the climb

Instead of replays again i have recorded a showdown live using the team and explaining between the turns alittle bit about my thought process while also hitting the elo we achieved.
This is the video if u wanna check it out

and Subscribing would also notify you when other videos like this with educationals goals in mind but also entertaining are posted. It is absolutely free to subscribe and u can remove it whenever u want so if u do u support my channels growth so i appreciate you alot.

7. Friends who help

Thanks to my friend MAVERICK SHOOTERS incredible builder and im very excited to be teaming and building more stuff with him in SPL.
Also i first saw Vacuum Wave Keldeo in aim's video so shoutouts to him for cookin the best content.

If got any questions about the team or want to give me any feedback outside of here responding u can message me privately on Discord Savouras#8482 or in the Academy https://discord.gg/3V3dBbfQ

Last edited:
Sick team, I love sand and seeing different takes on it has been a treat this DLC. In particular how people utilise Tyranitar, which I thought was quite underrated after getting knock off. Scarf Tar is a very interesting take here I quite like it, getting the jump on so many targets below 364 is really nice. Tera ice is also pretty nice to switch between defense boosts with weather lol, very cool stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)