SandStall - Starting Pokemon Again

Hello everyone! I made this team very recently after a long break from Pokemon. I used to be good at OU in Gen 4, as well as OU at the very beginning of Gen 5. Now I'm getting back into battling, improving quickly as I learn all the new sets and etc.

Normally, I like a balanced, bulky offense style of play. This team is no exception, but I find it's leaning toward being more of a stall team. It seems to work pretty well, but I'm sure there is significant room for improvement.

So, without further ado ...

THE TEAM:

TEAM BUILDING:

It is worthy to note that this was initially built as a mono-type steel team, that was supposed to be used in OU play (no Genesect or etc). It was meant to play against people that had normal teams though (not for monotype tourneys).

I wanted to start my team off with a little bit of bulk, in what is definitely one of my favourite new Pokemon in Gen 5. I chose a set that is slightly different than average, with no hazards, so that I could better stall opponents and still be able to cripple switch ins.

A necessity for any mono-steel team, as well as a good partner for Ferrothorn in general, I was going to need Heatran to take some fire attacks for me. I thought that I should also make this a bulky (rather than offensive) set b/c I would be relying on Heatran greatly for taking hits.

Of course, this doesn't exactly provide a whole lot of offensive potential yet. I believed that Lucario would make a great late game sweeper, or revenge killer, with a SD set that sets up easily while still having surprising potential for causing damage and netting KOs.

Ground and fighting types are problematic for steel Pokemon, and I very much dislike Air Balloon as an item. Skarmory was the next Pokemon that it seemed I was going to need on my team. Using a standard set, this was where I could spend time setting up hazards, and was also a good physically defensive hazing Pokemon to compliment Heatran's special bulk + roar.

Only two spots left, and again I'm in need of more offense. Being one of the most used Pokemon in both Gen 4 and 5 I decided to add CB Scizor as a Pokemon I could use to punch holes in the opponent's team. This also has the benefit of some bulk, which I like.

I needed one more Pokemon. Something bulky to set up stealth rock while still providing some useful coverage. I love using Metagross, so I picked a typical set with Pursuit, SR, and the works. However, this did not work very well and it seemed that it was not getting anything done. I changed it to an Agility set and it became much more threatening, especially if I could save it for when the opponent's team was already weakened near the end of the battle.

At this point I had a steel team that won more battles than it lost, and functioned well together. However, I decided that I wanted an actual team to use in OU play ... so it was time for some modifications.

Firstly, Lucario was proving to be far to frail + dependent on other pokemon removing checks. I decided that Tyranitar would make a good replacement, as this would also allow me to convert my team into a Sandstorm one. This would also help to counter sun/rain teams, that had been difficult in past, via eliminating their weather. I picked a weird set with an expert belt because it caught many people off-guard and was able to get a surprise KO or two when used well.

Now I was in a position where I needed a good fighting counter. Skarmory wasn't cutting it, and Pokemon like Infernape could run circles around my team. I decided to switch Skarmory for a Substitute Gliscor, something that complimented the rest of my team (where I have numerous Ice resists) that could also hit opponents back with some power.

At this point my team started to work a lot better. I went 23-6 that night, but have leveled off a bit since. I think that there are a few problems to hammer out, but that this has the potential to be great.

IN MORE DEPTH:

Overall type resistance can be seen here: http://www.marriland.com/tools/team-builder#1124|1137|1028|1250|900|864|
I have problems with ground, fire, water, and fight based on this, which reflects my actual experience as well.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Bold Nature
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Protect
- Ice Fang

Gliscor is a great defensive pokemon, but it can pack a punch with it's attacking moves as well. Using protect and substitute I can easily stall out the PP on moves like Hydro Pump (provided I am faster) as well as give myself more opportunities to hit switch in's/heal in peace. If Gliscor goes down early, my team is in trouble. However, this set messes up tons of people and I'm glad to have it. I need Gliscor to take on most fighting types, as well as a plethora of other general Pokemon that end up frustrated by the difficulty of getting the KO on me.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar
- Toxic

Heatran is pretty much necessary for taking fire attacks directed at my other steel Pokemon, as well as for dealing with Sun teams in general. I often get people switching their special walls in on me, which allows for toxic stall to be initiated. Between protect on Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Gliscor, as well as sandstorm damage, this wears down my opponents very quickly. Roar is great for Pokemon that come in thinking that they will get a free set up, but since I no longer have any hazards I don't end up using it very much. Heatran is also one of my best ways to counter opposing Ferrothorn and Foretress.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

Scizor does fantastic work, revenge killing, pounding through frail Pokemon, and generally causing chaos. I often get Scizor into the battle as soon as possible, and he almost always dishes out tons of damage. I often end up relying on Scizor to net KOs against fast pokemon that would otherwise outspeed and destroy my team. I also end up using Scizor a lot near the ends of battles as I get to the home stretch and need to finish things off. There isn't much to say about this set, but I usually need it in order to beat dragons (after they are weakened).

Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Agility

Metagross is usually saved until late game if I can help it. All it takes is one turn of set up and then this set can screw over entire teams. I just need to get rid of a check or two. MM has the nice bonus of attack boosts some of the time, which can make Metagross extremely difficult to withstand. I also usually use Metagross to switch in on Breloom. If they spore, I can switch to Gliscor to take care of comefortably. If they try to set up then I can often catch them off guard with a STAB Zen-Headbutt. Overall this set works well, but it no longer fits SR anymore and it is usually more of a 'general bulk' kind of Pokemon.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

Ferrothorn is my defense against rain teams. Leech Seed pairs well with Protect and makes Ferrothorn a generally strong choice against defensive Pokemon that otherwise wall most of my team. Thunderwave is used because in general the members of my team lack speed to threaten opponents. Not many Pokemon that try to switch in on Ferrothorn enjoy the speed drop + random loss of a turn. Power Whip is a surprisingly strong attacking option for when I need it (or for in between protects if I'm in the middle of stalling something out), and can deal some needed damage to a number of bulky waters.

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

Tyranitar came in order to initiate weather, but has become good for catching opponents off-guard. Lots of people seem to expect me to be running a set with SR and/or Pursuit, so I get taunted or have Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Scizor switched in on me. Fire Punch is enough to OHKO both of those, and Ice Punch does the same to any Gliscor that tries to set up. Crunch provides my best option for ghosts or Latios/Latias. Stone Edge is for pure damage. I use an Expert belt because of the good coverage that this set has, as well as because CB is too limiting, and LO reduces longevity too much. People often predict a CB and send in something that I can easily KO with a different attack. I'm not sure if Fire Punch and Ice Punch are the best options, but I don't want to have to invest in SpA to use Fire Blast or Ice Beam effectively.

So what do you think? How can I improve this team? I think the most likely places where change can occur are TTar, Metagross, and Scizor; also maybe the set for Heatran?

Thanks for any help and advice I can get.​

I don't have the time to do a full rate,but I am just going to give you some pointers.First of all,your team is very solid,steel types are very hard to crack.But,because there are so many steel types in your team,Offensive Heatran will give you a lot of trouble once your Tyranitar is gone,especially Substitute Balloon variants.Though I do not have the time to think of a real solution to this problem,all I can say is a faster Gliscor or Earthquake somewhere on your Tyranitar will solve this.

Speaking of Tyranitar,I would recommend Pursuit over Ice Punch on it.This would stop fleeing Psychic and Ghost types,and once people think you are Banded,they will send in something that does not take much damage from Pursuit which you can eliminate with your coverage moves.And Ice Punch is mostly to eliminate Dragons I assume,and Dragons should not be an issue,because you have so many Steels.

Non-Choiced Keldeo,especially Calm Mind variants will destroy your team.Your last threat,Sun teams with Dugtrio,will walk all over your team. Dugtrio can eliminate Tyranitar and Heatran,and then leaving your team wide open to fire attacks.

To solve all of this,I recommend Offensive Latias over Metagross as your late game sweeper.It is a great sweeper and can handle Keldeo and Sun teams regardless of Dugtrio.

Hope I helped!Good luck!

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi. The first two significant weaknesses I notice are that you have no hazards and that you're very Keldeo weak. The easiest fix would be to get rid of Metagross for Jellicent. Metagross just isn't very effective in this metagame, and an agility set just doesn't have the sweeping potential it had back in DPP OU. Jellicent gives you an excellent check to Keldeo and a spinblocker. Next, you need hazards so that you have a reason to spinblock. You can easily fit Stealth Rock over Protect on Ferrothorn.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 140 SAtk / 116 Spd / 252 HP
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Recover
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

The speed EVs allow you to outspeed standard CB tyranitar and WoW it before it pursuits you. The reason for this is that Keldeo is very frequently paired with Tyranitar to remove its checks, so this will be a good way for you to cripple Tyranitar's effectiveness while keeping your Keldeo check healthy. Hope I helped.

I have to agree with Landy Alex's suggestion of Jellicent > Metagross, mainly because Scizor and Metagross clash for a role... and Scizor is just better. Although the set suggested its self is off, I would just use the Utility Counter set on site.

Also, this team sorely misses Stealth Rock and Spikes. I would highly suggest you use Stealth Rock on Heatran or Tyranitar, and Spikes on Ferrothorn, over Thunder Wave.

You don't really need a wall breaking Tyranitar here... I would just use another Tyranitar set, the Choice Band, Scarf, or Support sets on site are all solid options.

A tiny nitpick, but Scizor should really have 248 HP to take less from hazards.

Finally, I am thinking that Tyranitar and Scizor here are kind of redundant, both checking special threats like Latios, and with Choice Scarf, Tyranitar is an overall check to.This team would really appreciate a rapid spinner and an additional water resist + something to take on Heatran reliably. I would suggest Starmie > Scizor, specifically the Buly Rapid Spin set on site.

good luck

Hey there,

Interesting team. At first glance, I can see this team does not appreciate many of today's common threats like Landorus-I, Keldeo, or Thundurus-T. With that said, I feel that you should replace your Metagross with either an offensive Life Orb Latias or a Sub CM Latias. Either can work in this scenario. Latias is a really nice anti-meta Pokemon as it is able to check quick a bit of the meta. On top of the threats listed, Latias also helps with rain teams, being able to tank Choice Specs boosted moves from a Politoed and makes it so not all the work vs rain teams is on Ferrothorn. With the Life Orb set, Latias will be able to fire off powerful Draco Meteors, Psyshocks, what have you, then be able to Recover all the Life Orb recoil or damage taken off with ease. The Sub Calm Mind set takes a more defensive role, setting up Substitutes and Calm Mind on things that cannot break its sub, then proceeding to sweep. Next, I noticed that your team is lacking Stealth Rock, and Spikes. With that said, I recommend putting Stealth Rock on Heatran (Over Protect or Toxic) and Spikes on Ferrothorn (Over Thunder Wave). This will limit how many times your opponent can switch in safely as they will be taking damage coming in, bar Rapid Spinning. If they lack a spinner, you can freely set up Stealth Rock and multiple layers of Spikes to induce as much entry hazard damage as possible.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute
- Roost

or

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Recover

Heatran
Protect / Toxic --> Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn
Thunder Wave --> Spikes

Good luck!

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I have to agree with Landy Alex's suggestion of Jellicent > Metagross, mainly because Scizor and Metagross clash for a role... and Scizor is just better. Although the set suggested its self is off, I would just use the Utility Counter set on site.

Also, this team sorely misses Stealth Rock and Spikes. I would highly suggest you use Stealth Rock on Heatran or Tyranitar, and Spikes on Ferrothorn, over Thunder Wave.

You don't really need a wall breaking Tyranitar here... I would just use another Tyranitar set, the Choice Band, Scarf, or Support sets on site are all solid options.

A tiny nitpick, but Scizor should really have 248 HP to take less from hazards.

Finally, I am thinking that Tyranitar and Scizor here are kind of redundant, both checking special threats like Latios, and with Choice Scarf, Tyranitar is an overall check to.This team would really appreciate a rapid spinner and an additional water resist + something to take on Heatran reliably. I would suggest Starmie > Scizor, specifically the Buly Rapid Spin set on site.

good luck
I am no Landorus D:<

Anyway, if you decide to use Starmie over Scizor, I think you would be fine using your current tyranitar set. It's common for Scizor to lead against Tyranitar, and getting rid of it early will help Starmie do its job more effectively.

Nice team, all very good suggestions given to ya here.
Even though he's become much more rare as of late, this team had better watch out for Magnezone. If he traps any of your Steel types (bar Heatran,) they're screwed. However, TTar and Gliscor can take him on well enough, but just be careful!

-saxton

Wow, thanks to everyone for all the advice. I didn't expect to get that much feedback so quickly. I think I am going to start by replacing Metagross with Jellicent, and see where things go from there.

@magic123: Ice Punch is actually more for Gliscor than dragons, although it certainly does help if I can get a clean hit. I'm thinking that I will try a Latias set after I try Jellicent. Heatran can be a problem, but usually I have been finding ways around it. I'm reluctant to try offensive Latias because SS and LO damage will wear it down very quickly. Currently all my pokemon take no SS damage.

@Lady Alex: Definitely going to try Jellicent over Metagross. However, I like my protect too much to swap it for SR. Since Jellicent and Ferrothorn will both have status causing moves, I think I will try putting SR on Heatran instead of Toxic. I assume that those IVs are a mistake though? I'm not running Hidden Power, so ...

@Scarfwynaut: I'll take the SR on Heatran, but I still like Thunderwave on Ferrothorn for now due to my lack of overall speed. If I end up getting a Latias or Starmie on the team soon, then I might make that change as well. Thanks for the Scizor nitpick, I think it was a typo though. I'm just slightly reluctant to take Starmie and Jellicent at the same time right now.

@Funkasaurus: I've already covered explainations to your suggestions above. Latias will be tested soon. Spikes will be a maybe ... if I think I can make it work.

@saxtonhale: Yeah, I know all about the Magnezone thing. This was supposed to be mono-steel, so I figured. The only problems I can get from this are if it switches in on Scizor when I don't predict it, or if it gets in on Ferrothorn. Otherwise I can counter it pretty well. Like you said though, I'm not finding it very common.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)