Sandperior

Sandperior

I wanted to use a team that would allow Rhyperior to sweep. I started with the idea of a sun team, but then I remembered that rock types get a Special Defense boost in Sandstorm. Since I had always wanted to use Trick Room, I also incorporated that. So far this team has been very successful. This team has pretty good synergy; like Reuniclus resisting fighting while Porygon2 is immune to ghost attacks, and they're both my trick room users. Overall I really like this team so far, and I wanted to share it and maybe get some feedback on how I could make it better. So without further ado:

[Keep in mind everyone has 0 Speed IVs]

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Sand Stream
252 HP / 180 SAtk / 76 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)

- Substitute
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Focus Punch

This set. Destroys. Everything. Tyranitar is my go-to sandstreamer (AKA, the only one on my team :P ). It is common for me to lead with him, even against other weather teams. Tyranitar handles Ferrothorn very well. He can usually 1HKO or 2HKO him with Fire Blast. Tyranitar also handles walls like Skarmory and Blissey so that Rhyperior can have an easier time sweeping. People have no clue what to do against Tyranitar in general since he's so diverse. This set makes predicting what he's going to do next even more confusing. :)

Rhyperior (M) @ Life Orb
Solid Rock
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)

- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

The reason this team was built. And boy oh boy he does NOT disappoint. I had Crunch for the longest time, but I decided Swords Dance would be more beneficial to him. This set gets great coverage, and can even hurt hard when he's not boosted. The special defense EVs are there to capitalize on how much of an advantage sandstorm gives him. His natural physical bulk makes him incredibly hard to take down. Because of this, he can still do good damage when trick room ends. In this way, he's pretty much the perfect set up sweeper for a Trick Room team.

Reuniclus (M) @ Life Orb
Magic Guard
192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)

- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

My other Pokemon who I'll use for a lead commonly. I usually let him set-up Trick Room before Porygon2 and let Porygon2 set it up later in the game. I'm a bit conflicted about his last two moves. I like Psychic on him so he can easily take out fighting threats, but I'm unsure about the rest of his move set. I originally used the offensive move set from the analysis, but then I decided I wanted to use recover to keep him alive longer. Shadow ball is useful for when other Reuniclus come in (Rhyperior has to come in before he gets a Calm Mind up or I'll lose. :V), but Focus Blast has great coverage. I'm willing to listen to what you have to say about his move set.

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Sturdy
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)

- Roost
- Roar
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock

This guy... <3 Skarmory is so good, and everyone knows it. Regardless, he stills kicks everyone's butt. On a rare occasion I'll let him lead. It depends on the enemy team. I use Stealth Rock over Spikes since I don't have anyone else setting up entry hazards (Stealth Rock is usually considered more important than Spikes, and I agree with that). Sturdy has actually saved me from a Nasty Plot Lucario sweep. I was quite satisfied with that. :) This move set is basic, but if it's not broke then don't fix it!

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers Water Absorb
252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SDef

- Surf
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover

My bulky water.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trace
252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SDef

- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick Room
- Recover

My second Trick Room guy. I couldn't believe that he got a boost in 5th gen (Via Eviolite) because he was already underrated as hell in 4th gen. BoltBeam coverage is great and the moveset is pretty self-explanatory. His synergy with Reuniclus is great and he handles special sweepers pretty well.

P.S. I'm not going to use Rhydon because he can't use Life Orb with Eviolite Equipped. He also has a bit smaller attack stat.

On rhyperior, why would you use leftovers if he is your sweeper? He shouldnt be taking that many hits and trying to sweep so i would reccomend any power boosting item. Life orb is the best choice

Well He can take out threats earlier on in the game, so that why I like him so bulky. Life Orb probably would make more sense though. I'll try that out I guess.

for renicules you should keep the shadow ball because you have no other ghost/psychic coverage on this team(and ttar can take care of fighting type attacks)if your really worried about having more reliable fighting type moves then add technician hitmontop with Mach Punch :p STAB and a 1.5 boost

Okay I changed Vaporeon to Jellicent (I'm really tired, will edit in tomorrow.) and it's been very helpful. Gengar can cause problems. The only real strategy I have is to switch in Porygon2 on a ghost move and use trick room. They haven't caused me too much grief, but I could see a sweeper set doing so. Though I think he'll just have to be someone I play smart around, there's not really any way for this team to get a hard counter to him.

Also, Life Orb on Rhyperior is working really well! :)

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Regarding Porygon2:
If you aren't going to invest in Special Attack, BoltBeam generally doesn't carry it's weight (I don't think it does even if you do invest, but that's me....), as TR only gets 5 turns and you will be better off using something else to dish out damage. For this reason, Magic Coat can be used instead of Thunderbolt. That move will deflect taunts that will render you unable to set up TR, as well as bounce back phazing attempts that will also stop you. The former situation benefits you even more, because the opponent will usually switch out and give you a free change to use TR.

Regarding Vappy:
definitely use Jellicent, IMO. Three Trick Roomers is generally the best number to use to ensure an adequate number of chances to set up. Also, it's hard to pass wishes in TR because of the limited number of turns. After all, if you pass to Rhyperior while TR is down, you will generally have to switch out.

Porygon2 really wants 252 SpA EVs and a Quiet nature if its going to be doing anything with BoltBeam, like V0x said. I do think its better off with BoltBeam rather than Magic Coat if it does though, otherwise really bulky waters might wall the team, as you have no other super effective coverage against them.

I'm also going to have to second the suggestion of a Life Orb on Rhyperior, the power boost will be quite noticeable, I think.

EDIT: Am I missing something, or is this not specifically a Dream World team?

Reuniclus needs Focus Blast otherwise Tyranitar has a field day with it. Personally I would just go with Trick Room + 3 attacks. That way it can function in two different ways. It can set up Trick Room for someone else (read: Rhyperior), OR it can set up Trick Room and then go on a mini-sweep of its own with perfect neutral coverage. I was using a Trick Room team for awhile and I found that the TR + 3 attacks set was better than having Recover. It wants five moves really badly, but if it can only have four, I'd say you're better off ditching Recover.

Cool team though, good luck with it. =)

This set literally destroys everything with reuniclus.
@Life Orb
-Trick Room
-CM
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Focus Blast

Great coverage, after 1 CM and TR nothing can stop you. It basically guarantees 3-5 kills depending on priority moves or if focus blast misses.

you're going to disagree but I think life orb/choice band would make rhyperior that much more scary. After swords dancing he literally has two attacks until he becomes slow as dirt again and you're opponent knows that you only have 3 other slots for obviously stone edge eq and something else. Easily predictable. With choice band you can still 2HKO skarm and you access to a fourth move giving you better coverage. :)

Wow, a lot of responses as I went to sleep last night. :)

Rhyperior:

I already changed it to life orb, and it is definitely much more helpful than Leftovers for him.

Reuniclus:

Ugh. I really can't make up my mind about the set. The only reason I carry Shadow Ball is so that other Reuniclus can't set up on my Reuniclus (They come in on him all the time for whatever reason.) I also find that he has to absorb a few attacks first.

Jellicent:

I haven't even been using a Trick Room set with him. Though it could be useful. I find that I usually don't get much use out of Taunt, so I guess I could use Trick Room over that.

Porygon2:

I've noticed that bulky waters can give me some grief. How about a slow electric type like Ampharos, maybe? Ampharos could use Signal Beam to take out Reuniclus and then I could use that Calm Mind Reuniclus set. Another cool dude is Elektross. He has access to Crunch and can also sweep with Hone Claws. Now that I think about it, this team could really benefit from having another sweeper.

I've tried just about every Eelektross set I can think of, physical Coil, mixed Coil, special Acid Spray, but the thing I've found is that while Eelektross really would like Trick Room up to take advantage of his low speed, it really needs to use a setup move in order to be most effective, which is a waste of TR turns.

Also, how are you faring with just 2 Trick Room users? In my (rather extended) Trick Room experience this gen, it seems at the very least I need 3 users in order to make sure I have it up when I need it.

I've tried just about every Eelektross set I can think of, physical Coil, mixed Coil, special Acid Spray, but the thing I've found is that while Eelektross really would like Trick Room up to take advantage of his low speed, it really needs to use a setup move in order to be most effective, which is a waste of TR turns.

Also, how are you faring with just 2 Trick Room users? In my (rather extended) Trick Room experience this gen, it seems at the very least I need 3 users in order to make sure I have it up when I need it.
Yeah. I'm trying Eelektross and he's pretty worthless. His movepool is only meh.

2 trick roomers is fine for the most part. The good thing about this team is that it's very defensive, so I don't have to have Trick Room up to be completely effective (though it is great to have it up.)

I'm not sure who should go in the last spot though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)