Project Sample Teams for Beginning in the NU Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Importable: http://pastebin.com/Y8cu5FEe (team only comes with nicknames as it does not work without them)

Before Sigi is getting banned I might aswell post this. This is a very offensive team I've been using to great success, which has gotten me into the top 10 with 3 different accounts, losing about one out of 8,5 matches. The premise of the team is to constantly pressure the opponent by using threats that are very hard to switch into and that also possess good offensive synergy.

Spiritomb: Standard Spiritomb, killing weakened Pokemon, keeping dangerous psychic types and others in check, burning a few things. Useful for trapping pokemon that are very problematic for the team and removing them from the field before they can do too much harm. Foul Play helps against all these mons that try to set up in your face, especially Feraligatrs who think they are safe behind their lum berry or shell smashers.

Barbaracle: It's Barbara, carrying a Choice Scarf. Although that doesn't make her any less ugly it makes her a deadly teamplayer. Scarf Adamant gives her enough speed to outrun base 110s, killing the most prominent of them in one hit. As Uxie is often expected to lead, it baits out Shiftry/Liepard/Archeops and the likes of it. When facing a Barbaracle your natural instinct is not to switch, but to hit it hard while you can, so very often I find myself one Poke ahead at turn 1, as say Shiftry tries to Leaf Storm only to be smacked by a Brick Break (90% to ko iirc). If you re lucky enough, you can rid yourself of the opposing teams Sigi check early on and we all know how deadly it is. Besides that, Barbara is a decent scarfer with good coverage and an important Flying ressist for Fletchinder, always likely to score a surprsie KO. Aerial Ace can be chosen over EQ to hit Poliwrath and Grass Types, but EQ helps against non-scarfed Magnetons.

Uxie: Is in this team for rocks and sets them up very reliably. Heal bell is useful for curing sleep and especially burns, as shifty often gets burned facing spiritombs and the likes of it, and hariyama which is in this team to eat up fire attacks, often getting burned in the process. Speed is enough to outrun jolly banded sawk, U-turn for scouting and hurting unsuspecting shiftrys or cacturnes. As this team struggles to switch into a lot uf stuff, Uxie is needed to take some hits the rest of them can not and pivot.

Hariyama: Eats special moves, and only lets itself tickle by special Fire attacks. It comes in, hits hard. Ice Punch for these annoying Vileplumes. Heavy Slam is fun and does around 45% to a defensive Granbull at -1(!). Can be replaced with Bullet Punch, but the rare Fairies do pose quite the threat to the team, so netting surprise kills is very handy.

Shiftry: very standard, no Life Orb means it can switch into some weak hits and not kill itself afterwards, and may leave the opponent wondering about your item.

Sigilyph: 4 coverage moves = good luck switching into this! Punches holes, or cleans up weakened teams later in the game.

Threats: Volt Switching - No Ground Type / Electric-ressist bar Shiftry (with the bulk of a Carvanha) and no real fast Poke, Voltswitch is a pain, as Hariyama or Uxie are the only Pokes to switch into without taking a lot of dmg and can easily be pressured by the switch in. Whenever there is an opportunity these should be pursuited/scker punched by Tomb, or surprise KOd by Barbara
various other threats: Scpetile, Gatr (DD with Aqua Jet especially), Swellow and Fletch (needs a healthy Barbara), Archeops, BU Combusken passing into the likes of Gatr, Mismagius, PainSplit Tomb, Crotomb...

http://pastebin.com/xLYMVHcz

Hi Guys! :D This team is my best team, and helped me reach #6 on the ladder. Its a balanced team. This team likes switching up on Pokemon! and weakening them, Feraligatr easily sets up SD lategame and cleans up stuff!.Vileplume is very bulky Physical wall Checks the threats like Gurdurr, Sawk, Primeape, Hariyama, DD Feraligatr, Shiftry, Sceptile, Granbull and forces them to switch(beware of icepunch). Probopass is the Special wall of the team, its walls Threats like, Sigilyph, Swellow, Fletchinder, Jynx, Magneton,Specs Dragalge,Vivilon,Chatot etc.. it can take fire spam to some extent,AV thickfat hariyama is more reliable for this job.Hariyama spongers those eruptions and froces those fire pokemon to switch out,and you get a free move!which with right prediction can dent opposing team, Icepunch is to dent vileplume which would like to switch on Hariyama.Liepard is for Knockoff spam, and trapping those annoying Sigilphys, Xatu's and others psychic's,ghosts by pursuit, Encore is Really useful,you just need to switch to an obvious shellsmash, quiverdance, SD, and lock them on to that move by pransker encore,to force the switch out!If a shellsmasher sets up on this team which is weakened most likely the team is gonna be swept! unless you get some effectspore hax.Sigilyph! i love its coverage, icebeam, energyball,heatwave, Psyshock, hits most of the pokemon supereffectively! it is a wallbreaker and can even late game sweep! Feraligatr is the win condition,SD feraligatr is usually bulky so that it can take a STAB move that aint supereffective and Set up SD,or hit hard back! ice punch is to nail Vieplume,gourgiest,make sure they dont interrupt your sweep.Make sure bulky waters are out before attempting to sweep! :D This is a decent team,to begin with,Hope you enjoy playing Nu

I have speed creeped probopass,vileplume,hariyama and given them 8 speed evs,so that they outspeed their own species and some other pokemon!eg:Hariyama and vileplume have same speed,As id be faster with 8 speed evs,i would KO weakened plume with icepunch,and prevent it from healing! it is very important factor during hariyama vs hariyama,as closecombat hits a ton!
As Sigilyph will depart the tier soon, one can use Mesprit instead of Sigilyph. Here is the revised team.

http://pastebin.com/GSicE7tQ

I have personally used a Choice scarf Mesprit, but one can try expert belt or even choicespecs. Mesprit has a decent movepool and good base special attack of 105. Its a good cleaner and can finish off weakened teams with ease, psyshock is its main stab. U-turn is for mantaining momentum on the team. Hp ground is to nail magneton, probopass who generally would like to switch on Mesprit. Energyball is to destroy common shellsmasher's and rock/ground pokemons.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
aite so i've given this team out to a few people and i'm pretty much done with using it so i thought i might as well share it here

This is a bulky/hyper offensive team that focuses on wearing down opposing team with spike and tspike stacking from Qwilfish as well as strong attacks from specs draglage and lo steelix to make it easy for either Ludicolo, Spiritomb or Swellow to sweep late game.

Qwilfish: sash spike lead, is often able to get up a spike or t-spike and a destiny bond off. Really effective and really useful. If the opponent is unable to stop tspikes with a spinner or defogger it's basically over.

Spiritomb: Standard crotomb. Spinblocks, stalls opponents with poison, takes any physical hit and will sweep given half the chance. Won about 50% of games for me alone, really excellent poke right now.

Steelix: Sheer Force + LO + max attack adamant. Has the same attack stat as Nidoking's special attack stat so it's not hard to imagine how powerful this thing can be. Also takes pretty much any physical hit.

Dragalge: Specs draco shits on everything. Good answer to mons like Typhlosion, pyroar and a number of special attackers.

Swellow: Not much to say here. Once it gets its toxic boost, its dealing out huge damage to everything. Brilliant for late game cleaning.

Ludicolo: Same as above. Rain dance boosts its speed and its hydro pump to ridiculous levels. Great for sweeping as well as smashing through some annoying walls.

Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 21.36.33.png

Qwilfish @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 132 HP / 124 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 SAtk / 200 HP / 56 Spd
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Facade
- Quick Attack

aite so i've given this team out to a few people and i'm pretty much done with using it so i thought i might as well share it here

This is a bulky/hyper offensive team that focuses on wearing down opposing team with spike and tspike stacking from Qwilfish as well as strong attacks from specs draglage and lo steelix to make it easy for either Ludicolo, Spiritomb or Swellow to sweep late game.

Qwilfish: sash spike lead, is often able to get up a spike or t-spike and a destiny bond off. Really effective and really useful. If the opponent is unable to stop tspikes with a spinner or defogger it's basically over.

Spiritomb: Standard crotomb. Spinblocks, stalls opponents with poison, takes any physical hit and will sweep given half the chance. Won about 50% of games for me alone, really excellent poke right now.

Steelix: Sheer Force + LO + max attack adamant. Has the same attack stat as Nidoking's special attack stat so it's not hard to imagine how powerful this thing can be. Also takes pretty much any physical hit.

Dragalge: Specs draco shits on everything. Good answer to mons like Typhlosion, pyroar and a number of special attackers.

Swellow: Not much to say here. Once it gets its toxic boost, its dealing out huge damage to everything. Brilliant for late game cleaning.

Ludicolo: Same as above. Rain dance boosts its speed and its hydro pump to ridiculous levels. Great for sweeping as well as smashing through some annoying walls.

Qwilfish @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 132 HP / 124 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 200 HP / 56 Spd
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Facade
- Quick Attack
Fak u now everybody will know
I have also used a slightly different version of the team using Tspikes/Spikes/scald/ice beamOmastar over Qwilfish to weaken rock types that threaten swellow early game as well weakening dragalge for ludicolo and i have to say it works just as well.

So yeah, this is basically my team. We have a Fire/Water/Grass core as you can see, with Barbaracle, Shiftry and Pyroar. Then there's a Fighting/Psychic/Dark core between Sawk, Uxie and Shiftry which was the standard for NU teams back in the days of BW, and I figured why not use it again? And then finally we have good old Lickylicky, which serves as the teams Tank, Cleric, Phazer and WishPasser.

Uxie is our lead in most scenario's, but with a little twist. Keep in mind that I stole borrowed this set from Topah from PO forums, so all credit goes to him for making the set. Imprison allows us to stop other Stealth Rock users, so it's kind of like Taunt. The difference is that Imprison lasts as long as you stay in, and it works for the opponents entire team. So if they switch out to a different pokemon, Imprison will still be active. Secondly, it blocks Knock Off. Yes, that's pretty sweet right? I can't believe there was a reliable way to block Knock Off, but Topah beat me to it. Lastly, you have Psychic for Fighting-types and ofcourse SR.

Sawk is our revenge killer. I wanted to use Choice Band first because it's broken as hell, but I didn't have a Scarfer or a revenge killer yet. And Scarf Sawk can use Sturdy effectively, so it's an extra insurance. It can potentially clean up late game with Close Combat too.

Lickilicky pretty much fills up some gaps. It can stall things out, phazes out setup sweepers and forms a decent defensive core with Uxie. It does add to the glaring Fighting-weakness, but Uxie deals with Sawk, Gurdurr and Hariyama pretty well and I have a lot of offensive pressure on this team. I can scout CB Sawk with Protect too, which helps a lot.

Barbaracle is pretty much our late game sweeper and/or wallbreaker. At +2 Attack nothing can really wall it so the only way to beat it is priority or a fast Scarfer. Even bulky pokemon like Vileplume and Seismitoad (SpDef only) lose to +2 Stone Edge and Cross Chop respectively. It checks Swellow too, who can be annoying.

Shiftry requires little explaining: Defog for annoying SpikeStack and Sticky Web teams (who just walk over you if you don't have Defog). Sucker Punch is much needed priority, and Knock Off and Leaf Storm allow for good wallbreaking. Knock Off is just excellent against Fighting-type switchins, as CB Sawk, Gurdurrr and AV Hariyama suddenly become much easier to deal with.

Finally, Pyroar is our special attacker. It's fast, strong, hits through Subs with Hyper Voice which can be a lifesaver and it has good coverage. I don't like using Specs, because it forces you to predict which can cost you games. Besides, with Life Orb you hit hard enough, and you can use Will-o-Wisp to play around Sucker Punch. Gurdurr is 2HKO'd while Mach Punch doesn't come close to knocking you out, so that's not a switchin.

So yeah there you have it, here's the team if you want to use it!

Importable if you want to steal my team :v
Barbaracle @ Life Orb
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Cross Chop

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Lonely Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Defog

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Will-O-Wisp

Sawk (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Imprison
- Knock Off
- Psychic

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Dragon Tail

http://pastebin.com/X6QbbsEi
not sure how to make the pokemon pictures pop up but its a good team based around boomburst swellow, it has sawk to counter steel types and the defensive core is great with audino and torkoal (should probobly trade out torkal with sandslash) basically you put out rocks and try to do as much damage as you can with sawk and magneton, and then when you think you can OHKO the rest of their team you let something die and bring in swellow and boom burst away, best team i have made tbh so i hope someone enjoys it!

Mightyena/Armaldo/Muk/Sceptile/Carbink/Ninjask

http://pastebin.com/GFf9wiwJ

What it do?
This team follows the core I try and make my teams around, 2 walls 2 physical attackers and 2 special attackers. However it is slightly more physical than special, as one of the special attackers is Mixed. Carbink is threatened by defog but it's nothing you can't predict, Regirock can be threatening if you don't keep sceptile alive. And weezing poses a huge threat to this Other than those there are not many pokemon that can threaten this team if you play well. The idea is to lead with Ninjask, U-turn out to deal large amounts of damage and then switch into carbink to setup screens and rocks. Afterwards either use armaldo to remove their possible rocks or stop then from setting them up with taunt Mightyena.
  • Ninjask-This Ninjask is banded, why band many would ask. Banded Ninjask is actually quite potent in its power and speed, outspeeding nearly all of the NU metagame while packing a very powerful punch. Night slash can be replaced with X-scissor for a more potent STAB move, I use night slash to murder Drifblim and Golurk. U-turn for momentum, self explanatory and finally giga impact for a final gambit style finisher.
  • Sceptile-The creme de la creme of the group, x-scissor for other grass types, dark types and Shiftry. Giga drain for regenerating health from the life orb, Leaf storm for fucking shit up, and earthquake for catching , muk, fire types and electric types on the switch.
  • Armaldo-Bulky spinner with knock off and edgequake, nuff said.
  • Mightyena-Taunter with dual stab and ice fang for flying types as well as STAB priority.
  • Carbink-Dual screener with rocks and toxic for other walls, basically the defensive wall of the team.
  • Muk- Bulky assault vest with shadow sneak priority, dual punches and gunk shot STAB.

EDIT:Due to Magneton moving up to RU, that was taken out in the eq benefits.

Last edited:
Spiritomb @ Assault Vest
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 212 Atk / 252 HP / 44 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Foul Play
- Shadow Sneak

Ballchinian (Shiftry) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

smogon toad (Seismitoad) @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earth Power

Combusken @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Sky Uppercut
- Protect

Muk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 216 Atk / 4 HP / 36 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Punch
- Focus Punch
- Shadow Sneak

Mesprit @ Assault Vest
EVs: 132 Spd / 220 SAtk / 156 HP
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

I'm SunnyR on the ladder.I may have played quite a few of you this team helped me to peak #17 on the ladder,but now that Fletchinder and Magneton have been promoted to NU I had to replace them with Combusken and Spiritomb. Actually this was modified from ANOTHER smogon'ers team that had iirc
Fletchinder/Mespirit/Seismitoad/Shiftry/Magneton/one other thing I don't remember. It's a good team and should serve you well I guess,enjoy.

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Hurricane
- Bug Buzz

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 212 HP / 44 SDef / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
- Storm Throw
- Power-Up Punch
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Bastiodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Curse
- Rock Slide

Cacturne @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Needle Arm
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Signal Beam
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Frost Breath

This is my team. Um... Cryogonal leftovers is a wall with no evs in special defense due to its crazy sp def. Cacturne is to tank the water attacks and sub up and swords dance. Bastidon is a wall as well. Pangoro is physical sweeper. Torterra starts off the game and cripples the team with its attacks. Its a physical wall. Vivilon is the special sweeper :D. Um, its a good team i guess, primarily want some tips on improvements and thx for checking this out :D

Last edited:
Ashes (Magmortar) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt

Shipwrecked (Feraligatr) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
Happiness: 0
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Frustration

Born For This (Sandslash) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Bed Of Nails (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball

Foundation (Regirock) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch

Ghost Division (Rotom) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

(no sprites since those aren't working apparantly)

Hi peeps, I’m here to present to you my prized NU team. I wrote an RMT about the early form of this team a while ago and after a few adjustments it turned out to be pretty great, so I figured I’d share it with this forum.

The team is pretty simple to play with, it’s based around mixed mortar (I had different ev’s at first but they were used for magneton mostly and since he left the tier…). You play this team by switching around your mons and spam hazards and paralyze on your opponent, if they try do the same you have sandslash to stop them. The sd/lum set beats every possible spinblocker bar foul play/sucker punch spiritomb. Mortar and gatr can clean the opponents team after the it's softened up and the faster threats are crippled by paralyze. Rotom is there for revenge killing and can play mind games with most fighting types, especially if they’re choiced. If you want a more detailed explanation on these mons and why i chose them, my rmt is called "Mortar combat" and can be found in the other x/y teams section.

I had a lot of fun with this team and I hope that you people can have to!

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
Well it has been a few days so forgive the double post please. I've been testing Soulgazer 's team and here's what I've found:

• I was worried that the lack of hazard control would be an issue, mostly considering SR limits the damage output of Typhlosion's Eruptions, but it never came up surprisingly.
  • Omastar is a fantastic hazard stacker and was my lead every match except one iirc. The max Speed looked odd, but combined with Weak Armor and Focus Sash it's almost always guaranteed to get up multiple layers of Spikes and SR. About half the time after I set up a few layers, the opponent forfeited.
  • Every member had moments in nearly every battle. Of the six, I'd say I used Typhlosion the least.
  • Overall the team is very forgiving. I haven't played NU since last gen, so I often made some bad plays and lost a few Pokes as I got familiar with my opponent, but 9 times out of 10 I came back and pulled out a win. (seriously I only lost once with this team)
  • If I could change anything, I would swap the Specs for Scarf on Typhlosion since Eruption is getting watered down anyway after SR damage. That or I'd slash in Defog on Shiftry over Swords Dance, which I didn't ever need to set up since I just spammed Knock Off and Sucker Punch most the time.

pastebin.com
Shiftry – Pyroar – Seismitoad – Aurorus – Drifblim – Ariados
I might as well share my team I've been laddering with! Firstly, I'll discuss teambuilding, then the individual Pokemon, then I'll talk about how this team functions. Ok, let's go. Shiftry / Magmortar / Seismitoad was the core I began with. I noticed that this core is nicely knitted together and worked efficiently. But, then I was thinking about it and was thinking in my head: I need Speed, I don't have that! So I exchanged Magmortar for Pyroar, which also gave me another way to handle Ghost-types. At this point, I had a glaring flaw: Fighting-types. To mitigate this, I switched Pyroar out for Fletchinder, which mitigated this problem and kept up the consistency of Speed (thanks to Gale Wings) and the structure of the core itself. However, Fletchinder quickly rose to RU soon after, so I went back to Pyroar. I decided to put off this issue until later on. I was testing Aurorus at the time because I love it and I wanted to test it out! It was good, I used the Special set, but, I soon after found out the Physical set was quite good anyways! Then, the Fighting-type weakness hit me hard. I added Drifblim, a Drifblim set I found on here (forgot which user posted!), and it was very impressive. But, a lot of Fighting-types have Knock Off, which really sucked. To mitigate this issue, I added Garbodor. Garbodor is a fantastic Pokemon, really, and it provided Spikes support. And, while I found the support it provided helpful, I also found it extremely easy to avoid. Garbodor also got worn down quite easily, and my team was looking extremely slow. To mitigate all of this, I found the golden answer: Sticky Web. Sticky Web is quite amazing, but the users are quite not! Ariados was the obvious choice to me, because it can wall so many Fighting-types. Ariados has a small chance to be 5HKOed by Hariyama's Choice Band Close Combat, while Knock Off is equally the same. The thing about Ariados is that it launches off a nuclear powered Megahorn before death, thanks to Swarm, which is pretty freaking amazing. And thus, my team was built!

Now, onto the individual Pokemon themselves! Shiftry is kind of my favorite competitive Pokemon at the moment, I find it just so amazing and versatile! Anyways, I needed it because the Defog support it provides and its offensive presence is way too good to pass up. It provides the Knock Off of my team, a move really all teams pretty much need. Shiftry also does have a resistance to Ground-type moves, although it isn't bulky, it still can handle them quite well. Pyroar is a bit of an odd set, but it's by far, in my opinion, the best set. Fire Blast and Hyper Voice hit like trucks, while Will-O-Wisp nails Shiftry attempting to Sucker Punch Pyroar and just pretty much all physical attackers. Hidden Power Grass nails Seismitoad, which otherwise gives a lot of Pyroar trouble. Pyroar's power and Speed is the prime reason I chose it. Seismitoad brings to the table the bulk of my team and completes a FWG core with Shiftry and Pyroar. It provides Stealth Rock and attempts to also spread burns with Scald. Toxic is too slam defensive Pokemon. Its typing and bulk really brings something to the table my team loves! Aurorus is seriously underrated, it's not as shit as everyone believes it is. Its quite fast after a Rock Polish and also very strong with Refrigerate Return that hits like a truck. Stone Edge nets nice additional coverage as well, and Earthquake hits Steel-types hard. It's actually pretty good n_n. Drifblim has already been explained quite nicely, but it still deserves to be talked about! It's pretty much guaranteed to kill something, it Substitutes until Sitrus Berry and brings something down w/ it. Acrobatics and Will-O-Wisp are great as well! Its immunity to Fighting-types and Ground-types is much appreciated, a necessity, even. Finally, Ariados. Ariados is not seen that often, and it's not hard to see why. It just doesn't.... stick out. However, it's not to be underestimated. It sets Sticky Web, which can cripple so many Pokemon, making it just amazing. Ariados can hit off hard with Megahorn boosted by Swarm, it's quite good! It can also pick something off with Sucker Punch if necessary.

Finally, how to use the team. Although Ariados has Sticky Web, it's best to not lead with it. It's very obvious, really, and if the opponent has a Defog / Rapid Spin user, then you essentially have 5-6 with no benefit! Use team preview to your advantage, try to predict what Pokemon they'll send in on Ariados and counter it right from the get go. It's best to save it until after such Pokemon are removed or if strong Fighting-types are prevalent. Shiftry is best to save until bulkier Pokemon are worn down, or you can wear them down with Knock Off, either works! Seismitoad should be saved to wall stuff, as usual, or it can set Stealth Rock throughout the game, setting it is not a priority; staying alive is. Pyroar is greatest when luring in Pokemon who can be burned and smashing stuff, it can play a bit recklessly. Ok, this is important: Do NOT set up with Aurorus early game. Save it for mid-late game when the opposing team is weakened and Steel-types are removed; priority removal is also quite useful. Drifblim can also play a bit recklessly, as its purpose is to take something down, not really specific what. Counters to Shiftry and Pyroar are great to lure in, though. Overall, this team has some points to be safe with and some to just be reckless!

"Imagine pics for the following"
Mesprit, Munchlax, Weezing, Liepard, Serperior, Feraligatr
Hey here is a super fun team that I have being using. Its based around SD Gator and CM Serperior working together to punch a hole for the other to sweep. Team support comes from the two walls Munchlax and Weezing who cover each others weaknesses well. Liepard is there as a pivot to help give my two sweepers a free chance to switch in and stop opposing set up sweepers and Mesprit to revenge kill. For in depth description of each poke here is my RMT: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/rolling-stones-nu-rmt.3512271/
but if you want to use it right a way here is the paste bin. http://pastebin.com/isygiXAP
Enjoy!

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus

Ok so ive recently got into xy nu because at first it really didn't look that fun and enjoyable as bw was, but I was wrong xy nu is great and a very balanced tier. Tbh this team was only made because both of my favourite mons are here (Shiftry & Typhlosion) and also the old bw1 spinner Cryogonal is back. This team might not be the best, but at this point I don't have to much knowledge of the tier to know what to change and stuff like that, anyway thats not the point i'm here to showcase my first team, and I do see it as a decent team. Okay so the team is more like bulky offense or maby a tad more offensive it's w/e, the team is basically build around SD Shiftry, but I guess Typhlosion and Slurpuff can sweep as well. So basically Seismitoad for stealth rock and as a physical wall, Shiftry can wallbreak mid-game with sd and sweep late game it depends on the outcome of the game, Typhlosion is also a great wallbreaker with eruption and also my main revenge killer, Cryogonal is my spinner to keep Typhlosion up to full health and keep Sakw's sturdy intact, then we have cm Slurpuff which can sweep late game and is my main fighting resist which actually makes me kinda weak to cb Sawk but w/e the team can handle it, and last but not least my own Sawk which is running sturdy and clearing the field for hazards can be important if i'm up against something strong and fast I have Sawk deal to with it. So thats all ill post a pastebin here as well I know it might been a shabby description, but I guess you guys get the points! So hope you guys like it and find it enjoyable~

http://pastebin.com/jVFKY6Nk

Last edited:
http://pastebin.com/SX4pTpkh - Spikes HO. Self explanatory, use Ape to block hazards, don't ask about encore pls. Sceptile + Jynx attacking core is underrated as hell, wrecks shop.
I tried this, but I found a few flaws that I tried to fix a little

- No spinblocker, only a Defog blocker. I use Golurk as my Stealth Rock setter with Iron Fist for Drain Punch/Shadow Punch shenanigans. He only really loses to Cryoganal, but decimates non-WoW Torkoal.

- I'm using Zangoose for Knock Off and more pressure. Also has priority in Quick Attack.

This only leaves me very weak to flying, which makes me rely very heavily on rocks and Qwilfish. This team is tons of fun, though. I haven't had to bring out Jynx yet, so maybe a good rock/steel type would be good.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to remove the teams with now-banned Pokemon from the list, or at the least, putting a message next to them saying that they use Pokemon that are now banned in NU? It could confuse some people coming here to get into XY NU for their first time.

I'll drop the team I've been using a lot recently too.

This team is based around the supporting and disrupting of Xatu, Ferroseed, Dragalge and Rotom to help Gurdurr and Pawniard muscle through teams. Ferroseed is obviously my main hazard setter with access to Spikes and SR, the other two moves help whittle down opponents and sustain Ferroseed. I chose Seed Bomb as the attacking move of choice because Ferroseed is also my main check to Gatr, although Gyro Ball is also very usable to wreck BDPuff, since it can take a +6 Play Rough + Flamethrower sometimes (with Eviolite still intact) and, with Iron Barbs + BD damage, will then die to a Gyro Ball.

Pawniard was the focus of the team. Between Defiant and Rotom, hazards stay up for a very long time, forcing 50/50s against Defoggers just by being on the team. It can also take on the opponent's hazards, resisting rocks, being immune to TSpikes and Webs granting it a free SD. It also has SD and unreliable priority in Sucker Punch that let it attempt a sweep.

Gurdurr is the other main attacker on my team. Pawniard deals with the Psychic types that can threaten it, and Ferroseed can take physical Flying attacks relatively easily. It can also switch in on Toxic Spikes and get a free Guts boost, giving it the great attacking power it needs to be a huge threat. Between it and Pawniard, they hit lots of the meta very hard on the physical spectrum.

Rotom-N was used for a few key reasons: I needed a strong Special attacker, and I wanted a spinblocker to keep hazards up as long as possible. Specs TBolt and Volt Switch hit very hard, making way for a sweep, HP Grass OHKOes physically defensive Seismitoad 81% of the time, and I chose Trick over Shadow Ball to disrupt walls (shuffling Black Sludge around their team is also very fun!).

Xatu was chosen as an annoying hazard and status blocking support. Spikes wear down Pawniard and Gurdurr exceptionally quickly, so keeping them off the field is key, as well as blocking WoWs that are aimed at Pawniard to preserve it (although if Gurdurr is not already statused it prefers to take it).

Last but not least, Dragalge was picked because I had a problem with Pokemon such as Typhlosion destroying the team. Scald can potentially burn physical switchins, especially key on BD Puff which reduces the +6 to a meagre +2. TSpikes is mainly a filler move, but who enjoys switching into Rocks, 3 layers of Spikes AND 2 layers of TSpikes?

http://pastebin.com/x4chVqFX

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here's a stall team built around Sub CM Uxie.

Uxie @ Leftovers
EVs: 184 HP / 48 Def / 100 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Flareon @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Wish
- Protect
- Roar

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Double-Edge
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect

It's pretty simple to use. Try to get up hazards, try to keep your side clear of them as best as you can, and wear things down until you can set up and sweep with Uxie. Sometimes Uxie will need to come in before it has the chance to sweep, and it might end up dying early. But with Toxic on Togetic and Seismitoad and Lava Plume on Flareon, it's not too hard to finish off the opponent's last Pokemon without it.

Spiritomb @ Assault Vest
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Foul Play
- Shadow Sneak

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 168 HP / 96 Atk / 188 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake

Qwilfish @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Scald
- Focus Blast

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect

improved version of my older team. Try it out...got me to 1554 ELO(~#50 something i think) How to use it? Simple. We start off with the BEST hazard setter hands down in NU. I am guaranteed a turn of Spikes/Toxic Spikes with Qwilfish in the lead. See a Shiftry? No problem! Pivot into something like Gurdurr that obviously gets manhandled by Mesprit and Ice Beam away! Oh,and EVs on Mesprit are to just speed creep Shiftry btw. Ferrothron here blocks the ubiquitous Feraligatr,while Boufflant totally blocks Vileplume/other Specially based Grass types,Dragalge is there to sponge Eruption from Typhlosion,but one thing this team does have trouble with is Slurpuff,because I don't have Steelix on this team :x, if it has Flamethrower it's pretty much instalose for this team unless Toxic Spikes are up. You have to make sure Slurpuff is getting damaged every turn if its the BD variant. If it is the standard without Flamethrower we win because Ferrothorn can take everything it can throw whil stalling for Toxic Spikes/Leech Seed damage. Maybe run Steelix over Ferrothorn? But then you open the team to Feraligatr. :/ Help? The Spiritomb is a full stop to any and all Psychic types in the tier,excluding weird stuff like Kee Berry Xatu with Stored Power (x_x). And Draglage is spec'sd for some firepower I guess? Enjoy the team and do leave comments ! I'm SunnyR on PS btw I'm sure I've battled a lot of you guys at sometime or another!

Im way way too lazy to get pokeon sprites so here

Muk / Steelix / Klinklang / Rotom-Frost / Exeggutor / Vivillon http://pastebin.com/FtJq2knD

Now for the description of how my team works. Basically my whole gameplan is to get my opponent into a position in which i can either set up Kliklang with Shift Gear or Vivillon with Quiver Dance. Vivillon's Compound Eyes raise Sleep Powder and Hurricane to 91% accuracy, so set up with sleep powder, get a few uses of quiver dance, and wreak havoc upon those less unfortunate with a great big heap of whoopass. Klinklang sets up with a few Gear Shifts and he is off, ready to outspeed and out-muscle any defender, great for finishing off at the end of battles. Rotom-F is my lead, which sounds strange because it is. however, Rotom can withstand a lot of attacks (my EV spread gives him 300 Def & SpD) and can dish out a wide moveset filled with pain for the opponents (300 SpA, Blizzard, T-bolt, Dark Pulse, Shadow Ball, with Life Orb). Muk and Steelix are my tanks, both having assault vest, both carrying very diverse movesets, and both which can withstand just about any physical attack between the two of them. Exeggutor is what i like to think of as my little suprise. It is a very strange moveset, going for SpAttacking while running Rest. It carries a Chesto Berry while also running Harvest, which will most likely give that berry back to this strange egg/coconut-tree looking creature. This is great for someone who is very aggressive as all my movesets are attacking.

Cacturne (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Foul Play
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker PunchA great lead if you just want to lead off with a kill because, if (a) there are set up pokes (stealth rocks, or swords dancing, etc.) then just use FP, SB, or DP, if not then (b) Start with SP to get good damage off and it will hit really hard so it might kill.You may possibly use a 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 SpD set to be faster which I might try.
Dusclops (M) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Trick Room
- Dark Pulse
- Pain Split
I just love Dusclops because he can be super bulky and make use of the eviolite. Yet another thing is thatI like about him is that he can be a "one for one" poke. I would advise bringing him in if you don't want Cacturne to die from a fighting type move. This will give you a free switch!
Pelipper (M) @ Zoom Lens
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- Hydro Pump
- Roost
- Rain Dance
Pelipper is just a good poke to bring in after something dies because if you get a chance you can set up the rain and then take a hit or two and then kill with an HP, or Hurricane. Then just Roost the damage away.
Camerupt (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Ancient Power
I like to use Camerupt if the opponent's team has a common weakness/neutrality because he can come in and have a mini sweep. Also the Solid Rock ability will help take hits since he is choice in to one move.
Hariyama (M) @ Flame Orb
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out
- Facade
- Close Combat
Hariyama is the other lead I would say to lead off with. I only say this because Fake Out sets you up for the Flame Orb and get a lot more damage then just life orb.
Slaking (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Truant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Giga Impact
- Hammer Arm
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow ClawFinally Slaking can come in after a kill and wreck house. Also another "one for one" deal unless he can take a move that isn't stab.

Hi Frontie? Fluffy! Your team could use a bit of help on having different roles. For instance, I'd advise you replacing Slaking for a Kangaskhan who will be faster and can Fake Out, plus attack, making those two turns nearly as valuable as Slaking having a higher BP for its one move it gets. Truant is what really kills Slaking, as while it may be a very good revenge killer, especially scarfed, you leave yourself too prone to set up sweepers.

Then I would recommend changing Hariyama to Assault Vest with Thick Fat as your team could be weak to Fire Spam with Magmortar, as it could use EQ on the Camerupt and Thunderbolt on the Pelipper.

Lastly, the only other real notable change I'd make is replacing Dusclops with Mismagius or Haunter. You seem to be running an offensive variant with Dark Pulse so if you just choose Haunter/Mismagius, you would already be fast(not needing to waste a turn with Trick Room), and have a higher special attack stat.

Hi Frontie? Fluffy! Your team could use a bit of help on having different roles. For instance, I'd advise you replacing Slaking for a Kangaskhan who will be faster and can Fake Out, plus attack, making those two turns nearly as valuable as Slaking having a higher BP for its one move it gets. Truant is what really kills Slaking, as while it may be a very good revenge killer, especially scarfed, you leave yourself too prone to set up sweepers.

Then I would recommend changing Hariyama to Assault Vest with Thick Fat as your team could be weak to Fire Spam with Magmortar, as it could use EQ on the Camerupt and Thunderbolt on the Pelipper.

Lastly, the only other real notable change I'd make is replacing Dusclops with Mismagius or Haunter. You seem to be running an offensive variant with Dark Pulse so if you just choose Haunter/Mismagius, you would already be fast(not needing to waste a turn with Trick Room), and have a higher special attack stat.
Thanks for the advice and I will definitely try it out. Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)