Salamence [4N] - Mixed Dancer

After some help from LR i am ready to present i revised version of this Salamence set.

[SET]
name: Mixed Dancer
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Draco Meteor
move 4: Earthquake / Fire Blast
item: Life Orb
nature: Naughty / Naive
evs: 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set aims to take full advantage of Salamence's unpredictability and superb mixed base attacking stats. It seeks to lure in physically defensive Pokémon that would be called upon to counter a standard Dragon Dancer, such as Hippowdon and Swampert, and slam them with a surprise special attack, freeing Salamence to use Outrage on a more susceptible target. Furthermore, this set aims to rectify the common problems that halt a Salamence sweep, be it MixMence's relative incapability of damaging special walls without predicting a switch in, or the Dragon Dancer's difficulty with taking on more physically defensive Pokémon.</p>

<p>The most effective tactic when using this set is to Dragon Dance off the bat, boosting the power of Outrage and allowing you to outspeed normally faster threats. From this point, one should choose the appropriate move depending on the opponent's reaction to Salamence. Draco Meteor will do huge amounts of damage to various physical walls, and having seen Dragon Dance, the likes of Gyarados, Hippowdon, and Swampert will be taken completely by surprise from your strong special attack. Blissey is highly unlikely to switch into a Salamence with a Dragon Dance under its belt, so your special attack should hit its mark, enabling you to use Outrage freely once the initial counter is removed. One of the best advantages of this set is that Salamence will not be forced to Outrage immediately after having Danced up, meaning the common strategy of letting it "Outrage into a Steel" is rendered ineffective.</p>

<p>The last slot is dedicated to a coverage move to help out against the Steel-types that resist Salamence's Dragon attacks. While Fire Blast may seem like the superior choice here at an initial glance, Earthquake will generally provide Salamence with stronger and more consistent damage. The majority of the time, Salamence will find itself having Dragon Danced and Draco Meteored once already when it comes face to face with an opposing Steel-type, meaning attacking from a +1 Attack stat as compared to a -2 Special Attack stat is far more effective, not to mention that it gives Salamence a way of dealing with Heatran. However, this does leave Salamence with the problem of not being able to hit Skarmory and Bronzong for neutral damage.</p>

<p>Running a positive Attack nature will ensure you make the most of Salamence's naturally high Attack stat, and allows it to sweep very easily with Outrage after a Dragon Dance. Max Special Attack with a neutral nature guarantees OHKOs on max HP Zapdos and min HP Gyarados after Stealth Rock damage. 176 Speed EVs hit 280 Speed, allowing Salamence to serve as a reliable check against Adamant Lucario and non-Scarfed Heatran before using Dragon Dance, while also allowing it to outspeed Scarfed versions of said Heatran and everything slower after boosting its own Speed. A Naive nature can be run on this set if you so wish; you will lose power on Outrage but will be able to Speed tie with 90 base Speed Pokémon and outspeed Timid Scarf Rotom-h after a Dragon Dance. Notably, a Naive nature and a Dragon Dance, will still OHKO the standard 148/252 Calm Blissey with Outrage assuming Stealth Rock is on the field.</p>

<p>Pairing this set up with a Magnezone is highly recommended, as it can singlehandedly remove Skarmory and Bronzong from the game and give Salamence a clear path to sweep. If you are opposed to using Magnezone, Fire Blast can be used for its ability to hit Celebi notably harder without the need to Outrage; however it is unreliable and will leave you helpless against Heatran. Magnezone also serves as an efficient answer to Scizor, in particular Choice Band versions that try to revenge kill Salamence with Bullet Punch. Lucario pairs up well with this set as well, since it can beat both Skarmory and Bronzong with a boosted Close Combat, and also packs a resistance to Bullet Punch (albeit taking quite a bit of damage from Choice Band Scizor). A Scarf Dugtrio can be employed to beat the majority of Heatran sets, which will allow comfortabe use of Fire Blast in the fourth move slot.</p>

<p>Here are some damage calculations to demonstrate the strength with which this set can hit from both sides of the spectrum (assuming a Naughty nature).</p>

<h3>Damage Calculations</h3>
<p>
Draco Meteor vs. max HP / min SpD Hippowdon: 82.9 - 97.4%
<br />
Draco Meteor vs. max HP / min SpD Zapdos: 75.0 - 88.5% (OHKO with Stealth Rock)
<br />
Draco Meteor vs. min HP / SpD Gyarados: 79.8 - 94.3% (OHKO with Stealth Rock)
<br />
+1 Outrage vs. 148 HP / max Def Blissey: 100%
<br />
+1 Earthquake vs. max HP / min Def Metagross: 93.4 - 100% (92.3% chance to OHKO with Stealth Rock)
<br />
+1 Earthquake vs. max HP / min Def Tyranitar: 97.0 - 100% (OHKO with Stealth Rock)
</p>

Draco Plate is the crux of this set. Draco Plate boosts the power of Salamence's dragon attacks by 20%, 10% more than a Life Orb but without the recoil damage.
I'm pretty sure that Life Orb boost damage by 30%, so it's 10% less...

I have used this set to good success in the standard OU metagame as well as the Suspect metagame. I think it is ready to be inculded on site I hope you do too!

[SET]
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Dragon Dance
move 4: Outrage
item: Draco Plate
nature: Naive/Hasty
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

<p>This set aims to take full advantage of Salamence's unpredictibility and superb mixed base attacking stats. If played correctly, this set should bait certain targets in the opposition's team through its sheer unexpectedness, allowing its teammates to sweep. Furthermore this set aims to rectify the common problems that halt a Salamence sweep, be it the MixMence set or the Dragon Dancer.</p>

<p>Draco Plate is the crux of this set. Draco Plate boosts the power of Salamence's Dragon attacks by 20%, 10% less than a Life Orb but without the recoil damage. Draco Plate, coupled with the mixed attacking options of Draco Meteor and Outrage, allows this Salamence to pack quite a punch. Furthermore the Draco Plate serves to hide your item, leading your enemy to believe you may be holding anything from a Choice Scarf to a Yache Berry. The resulting confusion of the opponent can be used to allow you to score a hit with Outrage on a more susceptible target such as Blissey.</p>

<p>Strategically this set has great versatility. It can be used like the standard MixMence set with similar efficacy. Late-game, this set can transpose into the Dragon Dancer set and outspeed and beat some would-be revenge killers without being baited into Outrage. Similarly, the increased power of Draco Meteor and Fire Blast allows Salamence to get past some of his bulkier potential counters, although Fire Blast is less potent.</p>

<p>The nature and EVs of this set are designed to at best tie with base 100s, and after one Dragon Dance, outspeed as many revenge killers as possible. SpA is maxed so as to capitalize on the damage output of Draco Meteor. The remainder of the EVs are placed in Atk. A Mild/Rash nature is also optional to increase the SpA.</p>

<p>Specially defensive Steels such as Jirachi, Metagross, and Bronzong can withstand the assaults of this set. They are also capable of dealing serious damage with their STAB options, or crippling Salamence with Thunder Wave or Hypnosis. Special mention goes to Heatran, who resists all the attacks on this set and can overcome it through the use of Dragon Pulse or Hidden Power Ice. It should be noted that repeated Dragon attacks will take their toll so a RestTalk Heatran is the preferred combatant to this set.</p>

<p>For the reasons stated above, Dugtrio makes an excellent partner to this set, capable of trapping and pounding the Steels with Earthquake, particularly Heatran. Naturally, Magnezone also accompanies this set well, as it can beat Bronzong, Jirachi, and Skarmory. Magnezone can also trap a Bullet Punching Scizor looking for a revenge kill. Incidentally, Scizor is a good accomplice: it has good synergy and Bullet Punch is capable of defeating Weavile and Mamoswine, preventing an Ice Shard revenge kill.</p>

This is my first contribution so i hope you enjoy. Be gentle with me as i'm dyslexic.
Changed prose and edited my grammar edits directly in so just c/p this back into your post... I disagree that a restalk Heatran is necessary though... a Heatran with HP Ice or Dragon Pulse can come in on this set and OHKO an Outraging 'mence (generally), or any kind of offensive set with one of these attacks. Also, just go with Mixed Dancer. It's the most immediately obvious way to tell what the set is from the analysis, and 'clever' names are unnecessary here.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have used this set to good success in the standard OU metagame as well as the Suspect metagame. I think it is ready to be inculded on site I hope you do too!

[SET]

<p>This set aims to take full advantage of Salamence's unpredictability and superb mixed base attacking stats. If played correctly this set should lure certain counters in the oppositions team through its sheer unexpectedness allowing its teammates to sweep (Word this different, seems off.). Furthermore this set aims to rectify the common problems that halt a Salamence sweep be it the MixMence set or the Dragon Dancer.</p>

<p>Draco Plate is the crux of this set. Draco Plate boosts the power of Salamence's dragon attacks by 20%, which is10% less than a Life Orb but without the recoil damage. Draco Plate coupled with the mixed attacking options of Draco Meteor and Outrage allows this Salamence to pack quite a punch. Furthermore the Draco Plate serves to hide your item leading your enemy to believe you may be holding anything from a Choice Scarf to a Yache Berry. The resulting confusion of the opponent can be used to allow you to score a hit with Outrage on a more susceptible target such as Blissey.</p>

<p>Strategically this set has great versatility. It can be used like the standard MixMence set with similar efficiency. Late game this set can transpose into the Dragon Dancer set and outspeed and beat some would be revenge killers without being baited into Outrage. Similarly the increased power of Draco Meteor and Fire Blast allows Salamence to get past some of his more defensive bulky counters, though Fire Blast is less potent.</p>

<p>The nature and EVs of this set are designed to at best tie with base 100s and when danced outspeed as many revenge killers as possible. Sp.Atk is maxed so as to capitalize on the damage output of Draco Meteor. The remainder of the EVs are placed in Atk. A Mild or Rash nature is also optional to increase the Sp.Atk.</p>

<p>Specially defensive steels such as Jirachi, Metagross and Bronzong can withstand the assaults of this set. They are also capable of dealing serious damage with their STAB options or can cripple Salamence with status effects. Special mention goes to Heatran who resists all the attacks on this set and can overcome it through the use of Dragon Pulse or Hidden Power Ice. It should be noted that repeated Dragon-type attacks will take their toll so a RestTalking Heatran is the preferred combatant to this set.</p>

<p>For the reasons stated above Dugtrio makes an excellent partner to this set capable of trapping and pounding the steels with Earthquake particularly Heatran, Jirach and Metagross. Naturally Magnezone also accompanies this set well as it can beat Bronzong, Jirachi and some Heatran. Magnezone also trap a Bullet Punching Scizor looking for a revenge kill. Incidentally,
Scizor is a good accomplice as it provides good synergy and Bullet Punch is capable of defeating common revenge killers such as Weavile and Mamoswine</p>

[SET]

<p>This set aims to take full advantage of Salamence's unpredictability and superb mixed base attacking stats. If played correctly, this set should lure certain counters in the opponent's team and through its sheer unexpectedness, it can pave the way for a teammate to sweep. Furthermore, this set aims to rectify the common problems that halt a Salamence from sweeping, be it the MixMence set or the Dragon Dancer.</p>

<p>Draco Plate is the crux of this set. Draco Plate boosts the power of Salamence's dragon attacks by 20%, which isremove space10% less than a Life Orb but without the recoil damage. Draco Plate coupled with the mixed attacking options of Draco Meteor and Outrage allows this Salamence to pack quite a punch. Furthermore, the Draco Plate serves to hide your item leading your enemy to believe you may be holding anything from a Choice Scarf to a Yache Berry. The resulting confusion of the opponent can be used to allow you to score a hit with Outrage on a more susceptible target such as Blissey.</p>

<p>Strategically, this set has great versatility. It can be used like the standard MixMence set with similar efficiency. In late game, this set can transpose into the Dragon Dancer set and outspeed and beat some that would be revenge killers without being baited into Outrage. Similarly the increased power of Draco Meteor and Fire Blast allows Salamence to get past some of his more defensive bulky counters, though Fire Blast is less potent.</p>

<p>The nature and EVs of this set are designed to at best tie with base 100s and when danced outspeed as many revenge killers as possible. SpA is maxed (remove "so as")to capitalize on the damage output of Draco Meteor. The remainder of the EVs are placed in Atk. A Mild or Rash nature is also optional to increase the Sp.Atk if needed.

This is generally mentioned in the last paragraph, so I suggest you move it as the last paragraph.

<p>Specially defensive steels such as Jirachi, Metagross and Bronzong can withstand the assaults of this set. They are also capable of dealing serious damage with their STAB options or can cripple Salamence with status effects. Special mention goes to Heatran who resists all of the attacks on this set and can overcome it through the use of Dragon Pulse or Hidden Power Ice. this should be removed >> It should be noted that repeated Dragon-type attacks will take their toll so a RestTalking Heatran is the preferred combatant to this set.</p>

<p>For the reasons stated above Dugtrio makes an excellent partner to this set capable of trapping and pounding the steels with Earthquake particularly Heatran, Jirachi and Metagross. Naturally Magnezone also accompanies this set well as it can beat Bronzong, Jirachi and some Heatran. Magnezone also trap a Bullet Punching Scizor looking for a revenge kill. Incidentally,
Scizor is a good accomplice as it provides good synergy and Bullet Punch is capable of defeating common revenge killers such as Weavile and Mamoswine</p>

NB. Added Life orb as option in italics.

Edit:Reworded in italics.
Changes are in bold. I just took out the italics stuff, just make them real sentences. Move the EV paragraph to the bottom, and I don't really think the last paragraph needs to be there, because you're talking about other pokemon when you're supposed to be talking about Salamence.

Thanks a lot Fuzznip. All threads are now required to include a section on how to support the pokemon through teammate selection and the sets individual selections. Read the thread "New Analyses" by Aldaron.

This seems really similar to the "new" MixMence, the same just Dragon Dance over Earthquake. To me personally, I would just mention in the Set Comments of that set that Dragon Dance can be used as a late-game sweep over Earthquake.

It can be used like the standard MixMence set with similar efficiency. Late game this set can transpose into the Dragon Dancer set and outspeed and beat some would be revenge killers without being baited into Outrage. Similarly the increased power of Draco Meteor and Fire Blast allows Salamence to get past some of his more defensive bulky counters, though Fire Blast is less potent.
This basically, sums it up, and confirms that I think DD should be mentioned in the Set Comments. Also, you don't have more power than MixMence's Fire Blast, or MixMence's Draco Meteor.

Thanks a lot Fuzznip. All threads are now required to include a section on how to support the pokemon through teammate selection and the sets individual selections. Read the thread "New Analyses" by Aldaron.
Oh, I didn't notice that. Sorry, then I guess what you said is just fine.

This seems really similar to the "new" MixMence, the same just Dragon Dance over Earthquake. To me personally, I would just mention in the Set Comments of that set that Dragon Dance can be used as a late-game sweep over Earthquake.

Also, you don't have more power than MixMence's Fire Blast, or MixMence's Draco Meteor.
I have used both the Mix Set which i found it was left susceptible from its recoil damage and the dragon dancer set which once baited into an outrage sweeping capability was limited. Furthermore the way players would easily threaten to revenge kill mix mence forcing you to take SR damage and further limiting the attacking chances was one of the plus options of this set. Finally when playing a mix mence against a stall team you are easily walled after having used Draco Meteor members of the Stall team a Rest Talk Gyarados or even a Sp.Def. Skarmory or a Hippowdon will wall you often you wont be able to land a physical blow on Blissey coupled with the LO recoil and Sandstream in play this set has limited longevity.

There's one problem that came to me when I looked at the set. Let's say a SpD wall comes in, like Blissey, all you can do is use Outrage which isn't always a good thing to do, as the opponent can just switch to a dragon resister and kill Salamence. But with the other sets, you have Earthquake and other moves that help against situations like this. So I think you could try slashing Dragon Claw with Outrage, but Outrage as the first option.

There's one problem that came to me when I looked at the set. Let's say a SpD wall comes in, like Blissey, all you can do is use Outrage which isn't always a good thing to do, as the opponent can just switch to a dragon resister and kill Salamence. But with the other sets, you have Earthquake and other moves that help against situations like this. So I think you could try slashing Dragon Claw with Outrage, but Outrage as the first option.
Without the recoild damage they are going to be lead to believe you are scarfed. So they have no reason to switch out. Therefore this set baits blissey extremely well.

Link to the on-site analysis, please.

Okay, I seem to have misunderstood the point of the set. I was thinking of this set more of a special set with Outrage and Dragon Dance to help against special walls and weaken physical walls largely, but LR explained to me and he has said it's more of a "eliminate Dragon Dance switch-ins, then sweep".

After discussing it for quite a while, we basically decided that the set needs more Attack to do this properly. However, we still wanted OHKOes on the likes of Gyarados and Zapdos after SR with Draco Meteor, so you could Dragon Dance on the switch to make them believe you are totally physical, then Draco Meteor to kill them off, then potentially sweep with Outrage.

This was the proposed EV spread:

Naughty | 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe @ Life Orb

Yeah, Life Orb was needed. On average, it OHKOes max HP / min SpD Zapdos and Gyarados after SR, so you don't have to resort to Outrage yet. On top of this, Earthquake could potentially be used over Fire Blast so you could hit Steel-types much harder while on +1 Attack, in comparison to -2 Special Attack. It also means Salamence has a fun time with Heatran and Empoleon, but leaves it open to Skarmory, and Bronzong (to an extent, Scizor). But it means that you should have a much easier time sweeping. However, I was skeptical that the set was basically DD Mence with Draco Meteor > Fire Blast, and could potentially be near-enough the same for this not to warrant its own set..

Anyway, please note the suggestions!

Yeah i guess this was what i was aiming at initially Twash. I think your set is probably more efficient at what it does too.

Should i just entirely drop the Draco Plate references?

locopoke

Banned deucer.
I definetely think this set needs Life Orb > Draco Plate. It provides a bigger boost like mentioned above, and it boosts all moves which is essential to a mixed set.

That's a good point joshe, thanks for posting that idea. So you'd probably be looking at:

~Dragon Dance
~Outrage
~Draco Meteor / Hydro Pump
~Earthquake / Fire Blast

Looks best in my opinion. You don't really need any EV / nature modifications in my opinion: on average the EV spread I posted above will OHKO 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon, and does 91% average to 252 HP / 88 SpD Hippowdon, so it only needs a bit of prior damage most of the time (although obviously, Hydro Pump's accuracy can screw you over).

I've been using

Salamence
Naughty | 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe @ Life Orb
~Dragon Dance
~Outrage
~Draco Meteor
~Earthquake

The set really is a beast. You can Draco Meteor from the get go to scout your opponent's initial switch in or you can DD right off the bat. Either way, this set is almost guaranteed to KO one Pokemon.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't understand Hydro Pump, Draco Meteor already cripples Hippowdon more than enough and you mine as well run Earthquake to both benefit from DD and to deal with Heatran.

I honestly prefer Scarlet Spyder set substantially over this.

For Scarlet Spyder's set I'd recommend 96 Attack EVs to KO 364 HP / 296 Def Metagross the majority of the time with Earthquake and always with Stealth Rock. It also guarantees a KO on bulky Gyarados with no boost with SR (DD+Intimidate = 0). A Life Orb Fire Blast doesn't even guarantee the KO on 364 HP / 216 SpD so I think you could just slash Fire Blast with Earthquake on Scarlet's set.

Also, the 236 SpA EVs you are left with already 2HKO the notable physical walls like Celebi, Hippo, Gliscor etc. with Stealth Rock and Leftovers.

Edit: I don't know if this should go in the analysis, I'll have to consider it later but I'm tired right now. Those are just my quick thoughts.

Bump need to go now but i will read over once again thanks LR for helping me with the various information i might have missed.
This needs checking!
<3.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
After some more testing, it seems obvious to me that the set with DD / Outrage / Hydro Pump / Fire Blast looks good on paper only. The entire set becomes pretty unreliable with two shaky accuracy moves, and one that locks you in. I think it would be much better to remove these options altogether, instead of having them slashed in; it makes the set comments a hell of a lot clearer as well. On the other hand, the Mixed Dancer with Draco Meteor and Earthquake has been playing excellently and is still going strong.

What you had was good, I'm just touching up on some of the grammar, rewriting the paragraph related to your other special attacking moves, and adding some relevant damage calculations. Instead of covering the entire thing in red with my edits, I've not formatted my changes so it's easier for you to edit them in.

After some help from LR i am ready to present i revised version of this Salamence set.

[SET]
move 4: Earthquake

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set aims to take full advantage of Salamence's unpredictability and superb mixed base attacking stats. It aims to lure in physically defensive Pokemon that would be called upon to counter a standard Dragon Dancer, such as Hippowdon and Swampert, and slam them with a surprise special attack, freeing Salamence to use Outrage on a more suspecptible target. Furthermore, this set aims to rectify the common problems that halt a Salamence sweep, be it MixMence's relative incapability of damaging special walls without predicting a switch in, or the Dragon Dancer's difficulty in taking on more physically defensive Pokemon.</p>

<p>The most effective tactic when using this set is to Dragon Dance off the bat, boosting the power of Outrage and allowing you to outspeed normally faster threats. From this point, one should choose the appropriate move depending on the opponent's reaction to Salamence. Draco Meteor will do huge amounts of damage to various physical walls, and having seen Dragon Dance, the likes of Gyarados, Hippowdon, and Swampert will be taken completely by surprise from your strong special attack. Blissey is highly unlikely to switch into a Salamence with a Dragon Dance under its belt, so your special attack should hit its mark, enabling you to use Outrage freely once the initial counter is removed. One of the best advantages of this set is that Salamence will not be forced to Outrage off the bat after having danced up, meaning the common strategy of letting it "Outrage into a Steel" is rendered ineffective.</p>

<p>The last slot is dedicated to a coverage move to help out against the Steel-types that resist Salamence's Dragon attacks. While Fire Blast may seem like the superior choice here at an initial glance, Earthquake will generally provide Salamence with stronger and more consistent damage. The majority of the time, Salamence will find itself having Dragon Danced and Draco Meteored once already when it comes face to face with an opposing Steel-type, meaning attacking from a +1 Attack stat as compared to a -2 Special Attack stat is far more effective. However, this does leave Salamence with the problem of not being able to hit Skarmory and Bronzong for neutral damage. Pairing this set up with a Magnezone is highly recommended, as it can single handedly remove these two Steel-types from the game and give Salamence a clear path to sweep.</p>

<p>Running a positive Attack nature will ensure you make the most of Salamence's naturally high Attack stat, and allows it to sweep very easily with Outrage after a Dragon Dance. Max Special Attack with a neutral nature guarentees OHKOs on max HP Zapdos and min HP Gyarados after Stealth Rock damage. 176 Speed EVs hit 280 Speed, allowing Salamence to serve as a reliable check against Adamant Lucario and non-Scarfed Heatran before using Dragon Dance, while also allowing it to outspeed Scarfed versions of said Heatran and everything slower after boosting its own Speed.</p>

<p>To fully utilize the power of this set, it is strongly recommended you use it in conjunction with Magnezone to trap and kill the floating Steel-types that wall the combination of Draco Meteor and Earthquake. Magnezone also serves as an efficient answer to Scizor, in particular Choice Band versions that try to revenge kill Salamence with Bullet Punch. Lucario pairs up well with this set as well, since it can beat both Skarmory and Bronzong with a boosted Close Combat, and also packs a resistance to Bullet Punch (albeit taking quite a bit of damage from Choice Band Scizor).</p>

<p>Here are some damage calculations to demonstrate the strength with which this set can hit from both sides of the spectrum.</p>

<h3>Damage Calculations</h3>
<pre>
Draco Meteor vs. max HP / min SpD Hippowdon: 82.9 - 97.4%
Draco Meteor vs. max HP / min SpD Zapdos: 75.0 - 88.5% (OHKO with Stealth Rock)
Draco Meteor vs. min HP / SpD Gyarados: 79.8 - 94.3% (OHKO with Stealth Rock)
+1 Outrage vs. 148 HP / max Def Blissey: 100%
+1 Earthquake vs. max HP / min Def Metagross: 93.4 - 100% (92.3% chance to OHKO with Stealth Rock)
+1 Earthquake vs. max HP / min Def Tyranitar: 97.0 - 100% (OHKO with Stealth Rock)
</pre>

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Having done some testing, I agree with Legacy Raider in that Outrage, Fire Blast and Hydro Pump is pretty unreliable. Draco Meteor, on the other hand, performs admirably, and you can quite easily see the utility in using Fire Blast or Earthquake with two other Dragon moves. With that in mind, I would propose the set to look a little something like:

[SET]
move 4: Earthquake / Fire Blast

It's nice to have the option to smack Pokemon like Bronzong, Skarmory, Forretress, Celebi etc around with Fire Blast. In all cases, Outrage would leave a dent (or cripple Celebi), but with Fire Blast, you can deal major damage without being locked in.

Edited in changes.
Thanks for these LR, it flows better now.
@BK i have added in references to Fire Blast and support options needed.
Also changed uses of phrases used twice like "off the bat".
I think this is done now.
Once again thanks LR.

Not quite done yet... need to discuss the differences in nature. I would remove Hasty completely, since with Mence you usually want to be -SpDef because of Intimidate. Naughty and Naive both work here and have their perks... Naughty will guarentee the OHKO on Metagross with Earthquake, and since +Attack grants you the most stat points, you have a noticeable 10% boost in power (something like 358 Attack IIRC compared to 326). Naive will make you less susceptible to Jirachi and Flygon Revenge kills, however.

Anyway, surprised this set wasn't on there sooner!

EDIT: You have the Nature thing edited in, but the damage calcs you should list ARE with Naughty nature (Naive isn't doing that much to Metagross).

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Agreeing with RL, you should change the nature around to Naughty/Naive, and remove Hasty completely.

Naughty does make your Outrage a lot more powerful, and since you are going to be Dragon Dancing up anyway, the reduction in speed isn't all that noticeable. It gives you guaranteed OHKOs on Metagross and Tyranitar with Earthquake if they take a bit of residual damage, as well as meaning you can just sweep easier with Outrage in general. Just as the standard DDer has a +Atk nature as a primary choice since DD boosts its Speed, I think Naughty should be the primary choice here too.

A +Spe nature has limited uses here imo, but enough to merit a mention and a slash-in. I would have recommend having a +Spe nature more if you were going to max Speed, so as to get the speed tie with mixmence and zapdos, etc. Seeing as even with a +Spe nature, you're only hitting 308, the only real noticeable thing here imo is that you outspeed the 20% or so of Lucario that ran Jolly last month. However, it is worth noting that even with Naive, you do a minimum of 100% guaranteed to a 148/252 Calm Blissey with +1 Outrage.

Talk about the advantages of using both natures, and in the last paragraph before the damage calcs, state in brackets that the calculations are assuming a Naughty nature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)