Pokémon Sableye

Status
Not open for further replies.
WispSnarl Sableye aint too bad http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battletower-pokebankoubeta-235508 countered by the red bird we all love so much of course but I never did have much luck fighting that thing anyway without metal burst.

Edit: Ah right I forgot about the gen 6 buff to sound moves, apparently snarl goes right through subs http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-70866881
What EV spread are you running with that? I'm assuming 252 spdef + calm, but I I've found just a bit of physical bulk really helps sableye be capable of switching into more physical attackers getting a burn off then being able to recover away. Regardless, that looks like a lot of fun to use, I'm wondering how well it can handle say, Togekiss, since she always forces my Sableye out.

Never used Sableye before only just came across him but as im looking to use him myself I just wondered on opinion.

Ive already got myself a 4iv sableye minus speed and s.atk careful nature and just wondered is the ev spread in the original post the best 252hp 252s.def 6 def

Or is it worth putting some on defence? I know hes a WoW user but what if he misses and as well a sswitching in onto a physical user?

Thanks.

Never used Sableye before only just came across him but as im looking to use him myself I just wondered on opinion.

Ive already got myself a 4iv sableye minus speed and s.atk careful nature and just wondered is the ev spread in the original post the best 252hp 252s.def 6 def

Or is it worth putting some on defence? I know hes a WoW user but what if he misses and as well a sswitching in onto a physical user?

Thanks.
I run a full physical Sableye myself, and can definitely say it can be worth it. You need to pick between which role you need fulfilled, but he can completely wall an unprepared team. (2HKOing Mewtwo and Delphox is always fun)

The set is pretty straightforward:

Sableye Focus sash
Prankster
Bold 252HP / 252Def / 4SpDef
- Recover
- Foul Play
- Will-o-Wisp
- Substitute

Foul Play to mess with their physical attacker, WoW to cripple, with switch-ins burning any non fire types as well. Does work 3v3 or 6v6 lately.

I run a full physical Sableye myself, and can definitely say it can be worth it. You need to pick between which role you need fulfilled, but he can completely wall an unprepared team. (2HKOing Mewtwo and Delphox is always fun)

Sableye Focus sash
Prankster
- Recover
- Foul Play
- Will-o-Wisp
- Substitute

Foul Play to mess with their physical attacker, WoW to cripple, with switch-ins burning any non fire types as well. Does work 3v3 or 6v6 lately.
Why use focus sash if you are using substitute/recover? isnt it a bit of a nombo?

Focus sash on sableye is a bit odd isn't it? If it gets hit that hard then it doesn't deserve to be in play against that Pokemon in the first place

Focus sash on sableye is a bit odd isn't it? If it gets hit that hard then it doesn't deserve to be in play against that Pokemon in the first place
Burn a surprise Special set M-Luc, survive the hit, save for a free switch-in later? Idk, it has had some nice uses for me in the past. Although CC M-Luc is an obvious choice, not everyone abides by the same standards.

If I were using a focus sash for sableye, I would slash metal burst in for one the support moves. You should already expect something unusual if the opponent brings in lucario on sableye after something has fainted or they switch in lucario onto sableye.

Is there really a point in special defense EVs as the analysis suggests? I've always gone with impish, max hp, max def and wow because trying to mix tank feels like i'm spreading the little guy too thin. Then again, i've never used snarl because i can't seem to find a way to give up taunt, wow, recover and foul play. I'd love to see some calcs of 252hp/0spdef sableye taking hits after a snarl.

sableye is the best way to counter pshysical pokes like garchomp and it works too when u taunt a ferrothorn, i like to use rocky helmet on sableye and i prefer knock off instead on foul play, cause u can get rid of two important items

Here's the Sableye set up I run. And may I say on a positive for a pokemon with such crappy base stats he can truly screw over a team if played right.

Sableye@leftovers
bold/impish
252hp/252 def 4 sp d.

Recover
Knock off
Will o Wisp
Foul Play

Now knock off serves 2 purposes. 1) hits that initial hit that knocks off item, 2) can actually help sableye stall whit WoW. Guranteed to force a switch when hes brought in on a physical attacker.
Foul play is good against physical sweepers who have boosted, took out a (mega gyra with this the other day).
And last but not least, need I speak any further about priority rocover?

All in all just watch how you play him, he still doesnt favor being brough in on powerful attacks due to his fragility, but in the right hands hes a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited:
If it was not mentioned yet i would like to say.Burn works on pokemon that use foul play,even if you use your opponents attack stat.

Last edited:
Been less than a day and people are already imagining it in OU... People, let's not ruin a good thread with uncertainties and deception (lol). We only know what it looks like, we don't have enough (or any) information about its changes yet.

Mega Sableye with extra bulk will be a massive threat w/ prankster but is it worth the mega slot?
Btw i hate the design

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Sableye Focus sash
Prankster
- Recover
- Foul Play
- Will-o-Wisp
- Substitute

How the hell are Mewtwo (banned) or Delphox (crap) at all relevant to OU? Let's try to keep this on topic with examples of enemy Pokemon that are actually relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)