Rutgers student commits suicide after being spied on

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree that legally, there's no justification for him to go to jail for life. That was more of an "if I was a dictator" kind of thing.

I have zero respect or sympathy for people who commit suicide. It's the ultimate cowardly thing to do in this world, and I hate even the thought of it.
Does this apply to the terminally ill who have to deal with tremendous pain every single day? I have zero respect for people who make blanket statements. It's the ultimate stupid thing to do in this world, and I hate even the thought of it.

You also seem to have omniscience. Tell me, how are you certain that it wasn't a hate crime? It is entirely possible that Rava pulled this "prank" because he hated Tyler for being gay. In which case, it is a hate crime. Of course, you somehow know that this isn't the case. Do you have information we don't?

ITT: People who are mentally stable call someone that is obviously unstable a coward for acting in an illogical manner. I like how people are so understanding of what goes on in the mind of a suicidal person.

Anyway, I think it is clear he is guilty of invasion of privacy. In fact, he tried to do this stunt twice. So he should get an appropriate punishment. If there is enough evidence to suggest it was a hate crime then they should also charge him for that.

Harmless wasn't the best choice of words. I meant something more along the lines of "oh I'm sure Ravi didn't mean to drive Tyler to commit suicide and didn't want such negative consequenses"

By the way, a hate crime is different from a crime. The reasons behind a crime and the intent of the crime make a big difference.

He could have done a lot more damage than killing just himself. Incidents like this has a history of instigating tragedy, just because Tyler only took himself does not make the situation any more favorable for Ravi.

Harmless wasn't the best choice of words. I meant something more along the lines of "oh I'm sure Ravi didn't mean to drive Tyler to commit suicide and didn't want such negative consequenses"
Ravi probably did not mean to drive Tyler to suicide, but I feel it is obvious he had malevolent intentions. You don't tape a closeted gay man having sex if you only have the best intentions for him.

^ Exactly what I'm thinking. Ravi deserves the 5 years; it seems like a reasonable punishment.

What's with all these homosexual suicides recently? As a gay person, I feel somewhat indignant, though I think it's retarded that they have committed suicide. If someone ever significantly harasses me because of my sexuality, I would take it to the courts, not the bridges or ropes. Nonetheless, there needs to be more severe laws against harassment based on sexuality.

^ Exactly what I'm thinking. Ravi deserves the 5 years; it seems like a reasonable punishment.

What's with all these homosexual suicides recently? As a gay person, I feel somewhat indignant, though I think it's retarded that they have committed suicide. If someone ever significantly harasses me because of my sexuality, I would take it to the courts, not the bridges or ropes. Nonetheless, there needs to be more severe laws against harassment based on sexuality.
There needs to be more severe laws against harassment, period.

I don't like the idea of a hate crime, nor the idea that this guy faces 5 years for what he did.

He did something wrong, but he doesn't need to be sent to prison for it. He could do with some councelling probably, and some community service.

Ravi should not be held responsible for Tyler's suicide. Tyler made that choice himself, and he had other options.

Ravi may not be held responsible for Tyler suicide, but he is clearly responsible for violating a slew of privacy laws. That is enough for him to get 5 years in prison.

Ravi may not be held responsible for Tyler suicide, but he is clearly responsible for violating a slew of privacy laws and harassment laws. That is enough for him to get 5 years in prison.
What good will the prison do?

If it change much, why make him lose 5 years of his life for no reason.

If it change much, why make him lose 5 years of his life for no reason.
Because of his extremely idiotic and poorly thought out actions, someone was driven to suicide, and that someone has lost the rest of his life. Yes, Ravi didn't hold a gun up to the Tyler's head and pull the trigger. But, because of his choice of actions Tyler was so distraught he took his life. Ravi indirectly killed him. Ravi put the pieces in play, that would lead to Tyler's suicide. Was that the outcome Ravi was hoping for? Hm, probably not. But what the fuck was he expecting? Tyler to just say "oh haha, good one bro! you just outed me as a homosexual to the entire fucking world in the most embarrassing way possible when I was completely unprepared to announce it myself to everyone". Yeaaahhhh okay then.

He will be kicked out of school most likely, and spend the next 5 years in prison missing out the remainder of his "teen years". All actions have consequences, and if you lack the proper judgment to gauge what kind of reaction will occur from your own actions, that's just way to fucking bad. Being "18 and in first year college" is no excuse for acting like an idiotic prick.

The drunk driver who gets in a car accident and kills 2 kids had chosen to drive drunk. Much like how Ravi had chosen to embarrass and out his roommate. The consequences of their actions will hang other their heads. What's done cannot be undone and "regret" is nothing but a pathetic emotion. Who's dead because of one moron's choices cannot be brought back. And unfortunately, the dead always seems to be an innocent party.

I have zero respect or sympathy for people who commit suicide. It's the ultimate cowardly thing to do in this world, and I hate even the thought of it.
lol, how pathetic. You try living in the shoes of someone who is suicidal, or has committed suicide and we'll see how "spineless" you really are. I don't believe suicide is the answer, and that there are other solutions to problems before suicide. Just some people cannot bear to live with their burdens long enough to find another solution. To call people who commit suicide cowards is just so pathetic. Yeah, we all have problems. But not everyone can cope. I think life is too precious to throwaway personally. But what we think of life and what another thinks of life varies...

Folgorio

I KickTehAss
is a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Well yeah it was pretty retarded of the roommate to actually do what he did, and i do agree that he should punished. On the other hand i think we should remember that he's human and everyone makes mistakes (especially since hes only 18) so basically screwing up his life by making him miss his teen years by being in prison isn't exactly the right thing to do either imo. I seriously doubt he thought the consequences would be THAT huge and if he did im sure he wouldnt have done it.

Im not trying to justify what he did since it was obviously a douchebag move, but just keep in mind that hes 18 and im sure everyones done retarded things at times so its not fair to ruin his life by making him spend 5 years in prison now.

Because of his extremely idiotic and poorly thought out actions, someone was driven to suicide, and that someone has lost the rest of his life. Yes, Ravi didn't hold a gun up to the Tyler's head and pull the trigger. But, because of his choice of actions Tyler was so distraught he took his life. Ravi indirectly killed him. Ravi put the pieces in play, that would lead to Tyler's suicide. Was that the outcome Ravi was hoping for? Hm, probably not. But what the fuck was he expecting? Tyler to just say "oh haha, good one bro! you just outed me as a homosexual to the entire fucking world in the most embarrassing way possible when I was completely unprepared to announce it myself to everyone". Yeaaahhhh okay then.
Uhh, no. Ravi did not indirectly kill him. He made the decision to kill himself completely on his own. I don't care what Ravi expected.

Again. What good would prison do for him?

He will be kicked out of school most likely, and spend the next 5 years in prison missing out the remainder of his "teen years". All actions have consequences, and if you lack the proper judgment to gauge what kind of reaction will occur from your own actions, that's just way to fucking bad. Being "18 and in first year college" is no excuse for acting like an idiotic prick.
Great, so we have yet another adult who can't get a good job because of a stupid choice he made back in high school. He's going to really regret this on his own a short while from now (if he's not already hating himself for it), why make his life worse?

The drunk driver who gets in a car accident and kills 2 kids had chosen to drive drunk. Much like how Ravi had chosen to embarrass and out his roommate. The consequences of their actions will hang other their heads. What's done cannot be undone and "regret" is nothing but a pathetic emotion. Who's dead because of one moron's choices cannot be brought back. And unfortunately, the dead always seems to be an innocent party.
There's a difference between driving a car into two kids and putting a video on the internet. I hope you agree with this.

I just want to say to Chris is me and Obsessed, thanks.

Look, I don't want to argue with people who disagree with my viewpoints, etc, etc. I apologize for saying that most of you were indecent, in retrospect I was angry because you don't understand. And that's exactly it; people don't understand and it takes a lot to see past anger and frustration. I don't think I can continue with useless bicker.

Let's just remember him for who he was, and let me link to a video of him playing the violin.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/10/01/earlyshow/main6918101.shtml

Wishy has a point though, a drunk driver doesn't go "OH TRALALALA, THINK I'LL KILL SOME KIIIIDS TONIGHT." but regardless, in the case that they do hit someone, someone died as a direct result of their actions. Do you think Tyler would've killed himself had this not happened? No, it was a direct result of Ravi's actions.

What kind of person thinks it's okay to do that though? That's just fucking disgusting and in my opinion it goes way further than just an invasion of privacy.

RIP Tyler.

I'm not saying it's fine to do what Ravi did, I just think the reaction should be productive in some way. I don't like hearing after every single crime, that the perpetrator should go to prison for 5 years - lifetime. It's not helpful to any of the parties involved.

A drunk driver kills the kids by driving into them. Ravi embarrassed Tyler publicly. There was little-nothing the kids could do to save themselves. Tyler could have simply decided not to kill himself (I'm sure there must be various programs at his school, town, or otherwise that could have helped before or after the incident).

@billymills, The biggest goal of jail time is to be a deterrent to crime, if people know that doing these types of things can leading to serious lasting consequences they will be less likely to do them without thinking about it, so while sending ravi to jail may not help this situation directly it may help prevent similar situations from happening in the future.

Like Lati0s said, jail is used to deter crime. In many cases a criminal is just a normal human being that decides crime pays. If the consequences for crime are severe less people will reach that conclusion.

though I think it's retarded that they have committed suicide. If someone ever significantly harasses me because of my sexuality, I would take it to the courts, not the bridges or ropes. Nonetheless, there needs to be more severe laws against harassment based on sexuality.
The problem is suicidal people aren't exactly rational. You would take it to court, but right now you are not in Tyler's emotional state.

@billymills, The biggest goal of jail time is to be a deterrent to crime, if people know that doing these types of things can leading to serious lasting consequences they will be less likely to do them without thinking about it, so while sending ravi to jail may not help this situation directly it may help prevent similar situations from happening in the future.
So this incident is going to lead to mass gay-roommate tapings? My problem is with jail time, it's not with punishing him in some way or another (councelling and community service, (probably within outreach organisations) would probably work fine).

He did something wrong... twice! He was going to pull the same stunt twice.

You might not think he deserves to go to jail. If you feel that strongly then work to get the laws changed. 5 years for harassment, and invasion of privacy? That probably seems about right to some. Fairness is subjective.

Like Lati0s said, jail is used to deter crime. In many cases a criminal is just a normal human being that decides crime pays. If the consequences for crime are severe less people will reach that conclusion.

The problem is suicidal people aren't exactly rational. You would take it to court, but right now you are not in Tyler's emotional state.
Many things can deter crime. He doesn't have to be locked up like a criminal for 5 years to change. Since when does punishment have to be fair, it just has to deter future crime.
I think the publicity is enough to prevent this from happening again. Would-be invaders are now aware of the potential consequences, and people will be more weary of their roommates in the future.

Many things can deter crime. He doesn't have to be locked up like a criminal for 5 years to change. Since when does punishment have to be fair, it just has to deter future crime.
I think the publicity is enough to prevent this from happening again. Would-be invaders are now aware of the potential consequences, and people will be more weary of their roommates in the future.
He doesn't have to be locked up 5 years to change. The point isn't only to change his behavior. The point is to show people that invasion of privacy/harassment are serious crimes.

If we gave him community service/counseling, other people would see that the punishment is actually not severe. More people would reach the conclusion that those two crimes pay off. Potential consequences mean nothing if those consequences are never enforced.

If murderers got counseling (which they need), and nothing else we would likely see the murder rate skyrocket.

Oh yes, because without this deterrent, millions of people are gonna be video taping their roommates. Honestly, it was one fucked up kid who thought he was being funny, i doubt it is the beginning to a huge slew of roommate spying upons.

And I do not see why Ravi should be punished for something he cannot control, namely the suicide. He should certainly be punished for the privacy laws but the suicide, no. A rational person would not commit suicide over such a trivial matter, as, like most things that occur around these ages, they will be all but forgotten within months. If people become responsible not just for their own actions, but the reactions of others caused by their previous actions, then no one is safe. It is the end of free speech as we know it.

Oh yes, because without this deterrent, millions of people are gonna be video taping their roommates. Honestly, it was one fucked up kid who thought he was being funny, i doubt it is the beginning to a huge slew of roommate spying upons.
Thanks, I guess.

And I do not see why Ravi should be punished for something he cannot control, namely the suicide. He should certainly be punished for the privacy laws but the suicide, no. A rational person would not commit suicide over such a trivial matter, as, like most things that occur around these ages, they will be all but forgotten within months. If people become responsible not just for their own actions, but the reactions of others caused by their previous actions, then no one is safe. It is the end of free speech as we know it.
Umm, maybe not the end of free speech as we know it. This isn't a trivial matter, and it may have been a rational decision in Tyler's mind, but your point that Ravi should not be punished for Tyler's decision is accurate.

However, if Ravi knew that Tyler was unstable or possibly suicidal, then that changes nearly everything I've said in this thread up to this point.

Yeah its sad that someone died because of invasion of privacy. However, i have no sympathy for people that commit suicide unless like its something like jumping from a burning building.He should have seen help, now other people will commit suicide because its seen in such a positive scope.He murdered himself, so ravi(the guy who videotaped) should go to jail forever? Bullshit, he should get punished for invasion of privacy only.Its just like if i talk about this girls fake hair and she goes to jump off a bridge. Should i be punished for her suicide? No way.

A rational person would not commit suicide over such a trivial matter, as, like most things that occur around these ages, they will be all but forgotten within months.
Trivial? If I posted a video of you masturbating on YouTube for the whole world to mock you really think you'd forget that within months?

However, i have no sympathy for people that commit suicide unless like its something like jumping from a burning building. He should have seen help, now other people will commit suicide because its seen in such a positive scope. He murdered himself, so ravi(the guy who videotaped) should go to jail forever? Bullshit, he should get punished for invasion of privacy only. Its just like if i talk about this girls fake hair and she goes to jump off a bridge. Should i be punished for her suicide? No way.
1. Yeah, he should have seen help. However, suicidal people are not fucking rational. You have no sympathy for someone that was clearly unstable, and did something irrational? In his mental state he might have been considered mentally ill. I have no sympathy for those that have no sympathy for the mentally ill.

2. Ugh, how was his suicide portrayed in a positive light?

3. Who has said that Ravi should be punished for Tyler's suicide? That would be asinine. Ravi should be punished for the crimes he did commit, not the ones he didn't. I'd say Ravi is guilty of invasion of privacy, and harassment. Depending on his motives he might also be guilty of committing a hate crime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)