Running

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Anyone have advice on training to run 1500m [under 4:45] and 300m hurdles [under :45]?
Back during my HS days when I ran the 1500m under 4:45, I focused on the fact that the pace for that is equivalent to about 75 seconds per lap. So if you can do interval workouts at that pace comfortably then pacing to that 4:45 time should come easier.

Now if only I could reverse the aging factor in my case...

Back during my HS days when I ran the 1500m under 4:45, I focused on the fact that the pace for that is equivalent to about 75 seconds per lap. So if you can do interval workouts at that pace comfortably then pacing to that 4:45 time should come easier.

I take it you're not a young man.

I run sometimes. I was considering doing track, but I'm not really into its competitive nature. But that doesn't stop me from doing some morning running everyday.

Hmm. I know I can do the 400m in about 60 seconds or so. How many intervals do you suggest at first and then to build up?

Expert Evan

I take it you're not a young man.
That is correct. I'm way past my prime now.

Hmm. I know I can do the 400m in about 60 seconds or so. How many intervals do you suggest at first and then to build up?
Since 1500m is borderline in speed/endurance, I would consider the following workout:

For starters, 4x400 @ 75 seconds,

then build up to:

2x800 @ 2:50 - 3:00 each
get this over with and longer distances will not seem too long (psychological)

4x400 @ 70-75 seconds each
for consistency

4x200 @ 30-35 seconds
to help establish that finishing kick

Since 1500m is borderline in speed/endurance, I would consider the following workout:

For starters, 4x400 @ 75 seconds,

then build up to:

2x800 @ 2:50 - 3:00 each
get this over with and longer distances will not seem too long (psychological)

4x400 @ 70-75 seconds each
for consistency

4x200 @ 30-35 seconds
to help establish that finishing kick
This would be all in one practice - correct? And how many times a week do you suggest I should do interval training?

I've also been looking through some running schedules online.

http://users.compaqnet.be/cn000760/training-schedules-1500m-1.html
http://www.halhigdon.com/crosscountry/cross.htm

The latter is for cross-country but does involve some tempo and interval training. The first one, is aiming for a 3:55 run, but I'm thinking I could reduce some of the training to fit my 4:30 goal [I've changed it, because I was looking at the qualifying times of the OFSAA qualifiers, and they made it to around the 4:30 mark.] So that means I have to run, for intervals, 400ms in 1:12. : |

Yes? No?

Thanks for your advice so far.

Expert Evan

I usually would alternate easy/hard days during the week. 1 hard day do interval workouts on the track, another hard day do tempo/fartlek runs and of course there's the race day. track workouts should be at least once or twice a week. Most important is to get into a routine and have some fun. I often imagine the bleachers filled with bikini-clad cheerleaders when nobody is around.

I want to start running, not for anything special just because i want to, but atm i don't do any kind of exercise since a couple of months and i'm quite overweight too.

What is a good way to start running?; how many minutes/distance and etc?.

Ice baths - are they good for your legs? I've read several articles, with different opinions and I'm not sure which to believe. I know a few guys that do them, but I'm still unsure about submerging my body into freezing water.

I want to start running, not for anything special just because i want to, but atm i don't do any kind of exercise since a couple of months and i'm quite overweight too.

I've heard many good things about: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Expert Evan

Best way to start running is to start walking first, at least 15-30 minutes a day for starters, and to get a positive physical from your doctor.

Ice baths - are they good for your legs? I've read several articles, with different opinions and I'm not sure which to believe. I know a few guys that do them, but I'm still unsure about submerging my body into freezing water.

I've heard many good things about: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
ice baths? Sounds like one of those internet stories I heard when an unsuspected businessman meets up with an attractive gal in a bar, takes a sip of a drink, then next thing he knows he wakes up in an ice tub and is instructed to dial 911 after his kidneys were taken out and put on the black market.

Well, I play hockey so we do more skating than running. I always wanted to do cross-country but I don't relly have the endurance for it.

Well I bet a lot of people know him but German Fernandez is fast. I saw him at my xc mete for subsections. He can run three miles in about 14 minutes.

I ice a lot in season, and it helps a lot. In fact, we have team icings after practice sometimes in a big tub with chairs all around. Personally, I prefer to ice in my bath tub, throwing in 8 or 10 trays of ice cubes and enough cold water to cover my legs. I mainly do this because the trouble areas for my legs are hamstrings and quads, so I pretty much have to sit in the water to ice those parts.

Short answer: yes, take ice baths. 8-10 minutes is best. I guess it also helps build mental toughness :P

I noticed this thread at the perfect time. Okay I'm a capoeirista and I'm a sophomore who is considering running track this year. Can anyone give me some decent times to scale my own with so I can know if I'll be at least be okay at it. If anyone can help it's much appreciated, thanks.

I noticed this thread at the perfect time. Okay I'm a capoeirista and I'm a sophomore who is considering running track this year. Can anyone give me some decent times to scale my own with so I can know if I'll be at least be okay at it. If anyone can help it's much appreciated, thanks.
Really, it depends on what event you want to run and the size of your school. For a school with about 1000 or so students, I'd say that the following times would put you in the top 3 on your team. I took the results of my Conference meet (10 teams, 3 entrants for each) and took the time that finished about halfway in the pack:

100 m dash: 11.75 sec
200 m dash: 24.5 sec
400 m dash: 56.0 sec
800 m run: 2:14
1600 m run: 5:00
3200 m run: 11:10

Since I doubt you're doing shot or disc, here's the other field events:
Long Jump: 17' 6"
High Jump: 5' 6"
Pole Vault: 9' 6"

For hurdles:
110 M High: 17.5 sec
300 M IM: 45.0 sec

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I do rep. Cross Country for my school during my first 2 years of high school. This yeah, I just got lazy and didn't bother trying out for it.

Also, at atheletic carnivals, I do 100m and 200m sprints.

I also play Basketball outside of school even though it isn't actually running, but you still have to run/jog.

Really, it depends on what event you want to run and the size of your school. For a school with about 1000 or so students, I'd say that the following times would put you in the top 3 on your team. I took the results of my Conference meet (10 teams, 3 entrants for each) and took the time that finished about halfway in the pack:

100 m dash: 11.75 sec
200 m dash: 24.5 sec
400 m dash: 56.0 sec
800 m run: 2:14
1600 m run: 5:00
3200 m run: 11:10

Since I doubt you're doing shot or disc, here's the other field events:
Long Jump: 17' 6"
High Jump: 5' 6"
Pole Vault: 9' 6"

For hurdles:
110 M High: 17.5 sec
300 M IM: 45.0 sec

Thanks FiveK

Expert Evan

Ah, winter running time of year when the wind-chill makes it feel so arctic. My new year's resolution is to get back into running competitively again.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Best of luck with that EE. I know how hard it can be to start running after time off. Keep at it!

I'm posting here because I'm a little nervous and would like some advice. I have my first competitive cross-country race in one week It's 6 miles and it's an odd format race...here's the explanation from my coach:

The remaining races in this league are:
Saturday January 12th - Farringdon (Sunderland)
Saturday February 16th - Wrekenton (Gateshead)
Saturday March 1st - Prudhoe

To give you a bit more information about what is involved, the last race we did in this league had 267 runners. The fastest took about 31 minutes and the slowest took over an hour. The Heaton runners from the group you train with ranged from around 33 minutes to 37.

There are 3 packs in the race. As it's your first race in the league, you would start in the slow pack, which goes off first. If you finished in the top 30, which is very possible, then you'd be in the medium pack for the following race.
Apparently the medium pack starts 2.5 minutes after me, with the fast pack setting off 5 minutes after me. With such an advantage, I plan to go for gold, so to speak. I'm a capable runner, but I'm not very smart about it...I always try to stay in top gear and end up tiring myself out. I want to know how you guys would approach a 6 mile x-country of this format? I'm tempted to have a steady start, and speed up in the second half, but I don't want the later groups to gain any ground on me. Or should I just go 100% at the start and try to maintain a steady pace after that?

Any advice is VERY appreciated.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I represented my school at one point, but only in the 100meters and the relay, I'm only good at short distance running as I have balls all stamina. I also took the school record for the 100meters while only in Year 10 (Year 11 is final year in High school) with a time of 10.98 seconds.

We didn't get the chance to do any competitions or timed races in Year 11 for some reason, and I haven't ran competitively since then... (For like 3 years!!!)

I've ran track all year round for the past 3 years, i'm a distance runner. Cross Country is the best season that there is, i just love the freedom, when you compare it to running around a track. Although track is pretty awesome right now, im geared towards the triple jump as my main event. Still workin on the form and everything, but i have another year to perfect it. 33' average isnt anything spectacular, i plan on getting up to at least 36' next year. ;/

How was everybody's XC season? Oh do I miss those golden days.
wonderful! I improved my 2400m by about 3 minutes! though the final time is an unimpressive 9:03 from about 11:50, I think it's pretty good for a 14-year old on his first cross-country season in 8th grade.

edit: track begins in a week. I'm kind of scared.

I've been a runner since 5th grade when i decided that I wouldn't make the shcool soccer team and Cross-Country was good alternative. I had run 6:30 or so in the fourth grade physical fitness test so meh why not?

Ever since I've been a passionate runner. During the season, it IS my life. If it weren't for my time spent with XC and track i'd probably be a better pokemon battler...

In seventh grade i got my ass handed to me by this kid and I started getting competetive and taking it seriously. I have been ever since. High School was a major change though with real coaches and workouts and a better attitude. I love running now. It is me and will always be me.

To all the new runners out there, good luck and stay committed! It's worth it.

*EDIT*
Actually read some of the posts and...

normargu46 - wow. just wow. great to see we have elite runners amongst us.

And how'd everyone's XC Season go? and how's the indoor coming?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)