RU Threat List

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd recommend Regirock on the defensive threat list. He checks pretty much all Bug types, and hits surprisingly hard with Stone Edge. Not much can OHKO, or even 2HKO him with 252 HP/252 Sp Def Careful EV spread. He reliably sets up Stealth Rock, and he also spreads status with Toxic + Thunder Wave.

Gastrodon is probably my favorite Clear Smog user. Especially since not many people see it coming.

I never thought of using priority Haze with Mukrow...that's a pretty insane strategy! Thanks for bringing that one up!

I'm looking forward to see what you think of Prankster Murkrow. He has access to so many great support moves, like taunt, torment, tailwind, haze and even featherdance, priority roost, and priority t-wave & confuse ray!

I'm looking forward to see what you think of Prankster Murkrow. He has access to so many great support moves, like taunt, torment, tailwind, haze and even featherdance, priority roost, and priority t-wave & confuse ray!
We discussed Murkrow a few pages back. He is quite annoying, to be honest. A Mean Look+Perish Song set easily disposes of walls, but I honestly find it underwhelming. Even with Eviolite, it can't take a strong super effective attack.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Up in OU, Jellicent can't take Thundurus Thunders, but that doesn't make it a bad wall.

Do NOT use strong SE attacks as a way to show bulk.

We discussed Murkrow a few pages back. He is quite annoying, to be honest. A Mean Look+Perish Song set easily disposes of walls, but I honestly find it underwhelming. Even with Eviolite, it can't take a strong super effective attack.
Why are you letting it take 'strong super effective attacks' in the first place?

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Prehaps you could consider adding shedninja, he might be frail but he walls more pokemon than anyone else (at the cost of dying to everything else).

Then their is regirock, 80 hp, 200 defense, 100 attack, 100 special defense. Granted his typing isn't the best but those stats say tank like no other.

Prehaps you could consider adding shedninja, he might be frail but he walls more pokemon than anyone else (at the cost of dying to everything else).

Then their is regirock, 80 hp, 200 defense, 100 attack, 100 special defense. Granted his typing isn't the best but those stats say tank like no other.
Regirock is outclassed.

Shedinja does not work. At all.

In a tier where every team is geared towards killing bug types reliably, yeah lol at Shedinja. It deserves a trolly mention in Ubers but not in the grimy streets of RU.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
What outclasses Regirock,

Granted Steelix matches his defense and trumps him in type but Regirock beats him in ever other stat (bar special attack...) and has a usable attack stat.

Am I missing something?

Normally I'd defend it but with team preview, Shedinja can no longer hide and then come out near the end and force a loss on the opponent's side after all of it's threats have been killed.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
Okay then at the least it brings psychological value, they will be more careful with their shedninja killer, causing a change in their battle style.

To be fair that's not that big of a deal. I do however feel that Regirock deserves a spot on the list.

Okay then at the least it brings psychological value, they will be more careful with their shedninja killer, causing a change in their battle style.

To be fair that's not that big of a deal. I do however feel that Regirock deserves a spot on the list.
Steelix has a usable attack stats. Plus it gets Sheer Force I believe which makes up for it's base 85 attack.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
Regirock has 100, better special defense, hp, and speed.

Also theirs the 50%+ special defense in sandstorm.

Zephr, I understand if you believe that steelix is a better wall. But if thats the case then steelix should go up...

Zephr, I understand if you believe that steelix is a better wall. But if thats the case then steelix should go up...
85 Base + Sheer Force (30% more power) though would be better than 100 Base though in most cases. (Iron Tail, Stone Edge, Elemental Fangs, etc compliment that ability.) Typing is probably a huge factor as well.

No need to prove to me why he's just as threatening as Steelix, I'm just answering your question as to reasons why people probably think Steely outclasses him or whatever.

OK I'm gonna propose that Crawdaunt be added to the threatlist. I think some people, me included, may have nudged at it before but never got a response so I'm gonna try to make a serious pitch.

Crawdaunt has 120 Base Attack, 55 Base Speed, and Dragon Dance. He has two useful STABs that get further boosted by Adaptability which means he can run Waterfall and Crunch without the need to run coverage moves at all (not that he has any worthy of mention).

He can hit 342 Speed after one DD, which outspeeds Base 105s such as Scyther so he more or less has the minimum speed necessary to sweep.

Now that formalities are done, here comes the good part. What makes Crawdaunt a fearsome booster is his power, able to destroy many common Physical walls with his STABs or muscle past them if they have a type advantage. The cherry on top is he provides an extremely valuable team support in being able to laugh in the face of all variants of CM Cresselia (bar gimmick sets running Charge Beam...) which makes him an attractive proposition, allowing you to use your enemy's CM Cresselia to your advantage (such as healing members of the team while it CMs up and then sending in Crawdaunt to set up and force it out, and possibly end the match there and then...) and he can do this every single time.

So... Juicy calcs time! (Jolly 252 Atk Crawdaunt with Life Orb after one Dragon Dance using either Waterfall or Crunch; all enemy sets are +Def Nature 252 HP/252 Def unless otherwise stated):

Claydol: 138.3% - 163%
Slowking: 136% - 160.4%
Rhyperior: 132.7% - 157.6%
Rhydon @Eviolite: 131.4% - 156.5%
Moltres: 129.2% - 152.1%
Dusknoir: 127.9% - 151%
Aggron: 111.6% - 131.4% (252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def; Adamant)
Clefable: 105.1% - 123.9% (252 HP/4 Def/252 Sp.Def; Calm)
Gastrodon: 102.8% - 121.1% (252 HP/4 Def/252 Sp.Def; Calm)

Cresselia: 91.9% - 108.1%
Munchlax @Eviolite: 91.6% - 108% (252 HP/4 Def/252 Sp.Def; Careful)
Gligar @Eviolite: 89.8% - 106.6%
Articuno: 83.3% - 98.4% (252 HP/4 Def/252 Sp.Def; Calm)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Lickilicky: 78.8% - 92.9% (252 HP/4 Def/252 Sp.Def; Careful)
Quagsire: 65.5% - 77.2%
Blastoise: 64.1% - 75.7%
Umbreon: 54.8% - 65%

Tangela @Eviolite: 42.5% - 50.3%

As you can see, a lot of the Defensive behemoths in the Threat List are OHKOed after one Dragon Dance, while Cresselia to Articuno are OHKOed after SR. The Pokemon that Crawdaunt fails to OHKO are below the dotted line, and they cannot do anything to him especially if he carries Substitute, allowing you to boost up more or simply KO them on the second attempt.

The only common wall that gives him problems is Tangela who can Giga Drain and shrug off your attack with Regenerator. Another defensive Pokemon who walls Crawdaunt is Poliwrath. That's it.

Keep in mind that all of the above Pokemon are the premier walls in RU. Any Pokemon not investing in HP and Defence are crushed. The fact is, if Crawdaunt comes in and you don't have Tangela or Poliwrath, something is going to die in order for Crawdaunt to be revenged. Switching Crawdaunt in is relatively easy and is not just restricted to Cresselia appearances as his Water Type allows him to fit easily into a F/W/G offensive core.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who considers Crawdaunt to be a major threat and I've been seeing it rise in usage lately (saw a few today) so I definitely think it should be recognised on an RU Threat List.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
85 Base + Sheer Force (30% more power) though would be better than 100 Base though in most cases. (Iron Tail, Stone Edge, Elemental Fangs, etc compliment that ability.) Typing is probably a huge factor as well.

No need to prove to me why he's just as threatening as Steelix, I'm just answering your question as to reasons why people probably think Steely outclasses him or whatever.
Fair enough, but at the least he should then add steelix

Uh...have you ever heard of a guy named Rhyperior? Or even Rhydon, for that matter.

Don't forget Curse + Drain Punch Regirock. In Sandstorm, the thing takes Special hits amazingly and can recover some HP better than Rhydon/Perior. The Special Defense and the fact that he doesn't auto-die to Water and Grass moves mean he isn't totally outclassed.

Don't forget Curse + Drain Punch Regirock. In Sandstorm, the thing takes Special hits amazingly and can recover some HP better than Rhydon/Perior. The Special Defense and the fact that he doesn't auto-die to Water and Grass moves mean he isn't totally outclassed.
Only problem is there's no auto-Sandstorm in this tier. Even if you were to use the move Sandstorm, it's not worth the eight turns you get out of it.

Oop, yeah. I should've checked to see if Hippopotas was down here first. Out of SS he's still good, but I can concede this one!

Xephyr think you can slip in a sentence for each one of these guys main counters?
Something like "Counters: Tangela, Cresselia, Poliwhirl"

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
I threw the sandstorm thing in there as a random bit of info, unless regirock runs sandstorm the move (not going to happen) the effect is mindless trivia. i am more interested as to why you don't include ether regirock OR steelix. Does someone to a better job as a tank then ether of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)