Project RU Creative / Underrated Sets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen Floatzel around very much, but the one time I faced it, it completely wrecked my team. Hence, I just had to have one.
Floatzel @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Waterfall
- Scald
- Ice Punch
- Aqua Jet

Floatzel is fast. Insanely fast. He also can hit pretty hard. Thus, Waterfall took priority over Aqua Tail because of the flinch opporunity and the better accuracy (plus I had a bit of an OCD attack having two moves that had "Aqua" in the name, but whatever) Scald gives Floatzel some special attacking STAB if he needs it, plus the chance to burn things, Ice Punch knocks down Gligars with ease, and Aqua Jet has priority + STAB. I went heavy in Atk because I wanted something that could hit hard. I use Hasty because I wanted to keep what I had for SAtk without losing any of it, plus this set needs to be setup, for which I chose Durant for bulk (except for the awful x4 to fire) to get up some Iron Defenses and Bat Pass out to Ambipom, which would use Pup Punch (power up punch) a few times and rain dance before Baton Passing to Floatzel. As you can tell by this replay, my plan gets botched by some RNG, plus a few mistakes I made because I'm a bit of a derp.#clutchzel
NOTICE:
I understand the replay is a loss, but still, Floatzel went clutch with that RNG freeze and showed off some nice power. Also, how the hell did I live that CC from Monlee?

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Geki Teh Panda your set (and Floatzel in general) has quite a bunch of flaws. First of all, Floatzel is an offensive Pokemon and has thin-paper defenses, so using Leftovers on it is a waste. The same applies to Scald, its usually for more defensive Pokemon or Pokemon that can actually take a hit (unlike Floatzel).

Lastly, Floatzel is sadly kinda outclassed by other water-types, most notably Feraligatr. I realize he's slower, but he's better in everything else. Then there is Kabutops and even Samurott.

I guess Floatzel could use a choice band in theory but i don't know how well that will do.

Geki Teh Panda your set (and Floatzel in general) has quite a bunch of flaws. First of all, Floatzel is an offensive Pokemon and has thin-paper defenses, so using Leftovers on it is a waste. The same applies to Scald, its usually for more defensive Pokemon or Pokemon that can actually take a hit (unlike Floatzel).

Lastly, Floatzel is sadly kinda outclassed by other water-types, most notably Feraligatr. I realize he's slower, but he's better in everything else. Then there is Kabutops and even Samurott.

I guess Floatzel could use a choice band in theory but i don't know how well that will do.
Floatzel's not meant to operate alone, like I said, he requires the support from ID Durant and P-Punch/Rain Dance Ambipom that I have. It's a set that needs care in the sweep. EDIT: Feraligatr doesn't have the speed, Kabutops has x4 to grass, and Samurott didn't have enough speed for my liking. the whole point for Floatzel is to hit hard and fast in mid to late-game

Last edited:

Lickitung (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off
- Dragon Tail

Remember how annoying Golbat was with its 75/70/75 bulk and Eviolite? Well, this thing is much bulkier. It can survive ridiculous things like Banded Escavalier's Megahorn. You definitely have to watch out for Knock Off, which is rampant in this Meta. But setting that aside, Lickitung is an an absolutely great Clerick, who is best utilized in Stall teams.

Delphox (F) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hypnosis
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot

This set is gimmicky at best, but works wonderfully late-game. Wide Lens gives a neat 93% Accuracy to Will-O-Wisp and Fire Blast, while making Hypnosis passable with 66% accuracy. Grass Knot is obviously for coverage.

Last edited:
Floatzel's not meant to operate alone, like I said, he requires the support from ID Durant and P-Punch/Rain Dance Ambipom that I have. It's a set that needs care in the sweep. EDIT: Feraligatr doesn't have the speed, Kabutops has x4 to grass, and Samurott didn't have enough speed for my liking. the whole point for Floatzel is to hit hard and fast in mid to late-game
What does floatzel do that a mixed sharpedo (with crunch, hydro pump, ice beam) can't do far better? I get that floatzel is fast in the rain, but the fact of the matter is that there isn't a lot of power to back that speed up and I don't see how it isn't outclassed.

What does floatzel do that a mixed sharpedo (with crunch, hydro pump, ice beam) can't do far better? I get that floatzel is fast in the rain, but the fact of the matter is that there isn't a lot of power to back that speed up and I don't see how it isn't outclassed.
hmm, I'll compare them and see what I come up with. For my team I needed a physical attacker more than a mixed considering I have too many specials already and scald was more for burning than anything, so I didn't really want a mixed sharpedo with a bug/fighting weakness... Maybe if I can come up with a good physical sharpedo. Thanks for that suggestion.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.

Lickitung (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off
- Dragon Tail

Remember how annoying Golbat was with its 75/70/75 bulk and Eviolite? Well, this thing is much bulkier. It can survive ridiculous things like Banded Escavalier's Megahorn. You definitely have to watch out for Knock Off, which is rampant in this Meta. But setting that aside, Lickitung is an an absolutely great Clerick, who is best utilized in Stall teams.

Delphox (F) @ Wide Lens
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hypnosis
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot

This set is gimmicky at best, but works wonderfully late-game. Wide Lens gives a neat 93% Accuracy to Will-O-Wisp and Fire Blast, while making Hypnosis passable with 66% accuracy. Grass Knot is obviously for coverage.
I feel like the marginally greater bulk of Lickitung doesn't offset the offensive present/leftovers of Lickiliki

On phox, I have never liked wide lens, because while it is great for consistency it doesn't offer any benefit to the moves if they do hit. That is simply preferential, though.

Im a little teapot c: (Shelmet) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Shell Armor
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Recover
- Spikes
- Yawn
- Infestation

Probably would think I'm crazy however Shelmet suprisingly takes hits very well w/ Eviolite along with useful Fighting/Ground resistances to top it off. Also having Reliable recovery and a way to discourage setting up on it(Yawn) which I can then take advantage of the Sleep turns to set up its hazards. Pairing this with the Dugtrio on my team with its Spikes, Yawn, and Infestation it makes it very easy to get up 3 layers of spikes+Stealth Rocks if something is unfortunate enough to be trapped by Shelmet and not be strong enough to take it out as Dugtrio's Arena Trap keeps them in as well as he can easily switch in after Shelmet Yawns.

I run this thing with Leech Seed support from Gogoat along with Mystical Fire+WoW Delphox to help it stall out things if needed with Infestation and I find its very hard for people to take down if they dont have something REALLY strong on the physical side or they dont catch it with Knock Off. Spikes to help set up hazards as sometimes it can easily get up 3 layers especially if it traps something that cant touch it. Just thought I'd share it as against expectations its actually one of the most important members of my team and its very good at tanking physical hits down in RU.

No reason for 0 Spe, just wanted to match it up to my In-game one who can also function in TR and its not outspeeding anything anyways.

Thought I'd post as RU is currently my favorite tier and I've been using this alot. I however have a team to help take advantage of its bulk and ability to wear down opponents with Infestation so it might not work everywhere.

Raging Red (Basculin) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Brine
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Yet another member on the same team. Another set that people may question yet I really like using it. Modest Adaptability Surf hits pretty hard as its main use is to Revenge Kill as its usually strong enough to finish off weakened Pokes. Brine is for more bulkier walls that fall under 50% when I feel Surf isnt enough as it gets powered up to 260 BP(it actually does make a big difference sometimes) and its there b/c late game since my team has Rocks and Spikes they usually are below that range so it can even take out weakened Pokes on resisted hits if under 50%. HP Grass for some Waters though Brine hits harder if they are under 50% and Ice Beam is just extra coverage.

I use these sets and based on their success at least on my team wonder why noone uses them. Must be that they are outclassed yet I still enjoy using them. Especially against the many people who expect Basculin to be Physical and end up losing a large chunk of health to Surf.

Last edited:

Delphox (F) @ Wide Lens
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hypnosis
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot

I think Delphox would prefer a second coverage move to a second status move. One of the status moves should probably be replaced with Psychic, Psyshock, or Shadow Ball.

I dont know if this fits the description of nor being a "shitty gimmick" as i am not mainly a RU player and dont know much about the meta, but for me there has always been this idea of playing absol with superluck. No megaevolution, the normal absol. I know it has not gotten a lot of play recently (and if, its mega), but i NEVER met a superluck set, which made me think this has to be quite the creative set, or just really overrated by me personally.
As it goes, i have had an absol in my trolling-team, which is absolutely nothing for competetive battling. But i like my absol, and i am atm trying to build a real team with it.
Set details will follow tomorrow, as soon as i can get to my pc where the team is located. Basically it is a razorfang/superluck/high-crit-moves set, which will get you crittet no matter what. Up till now, i found it most useful against stallers that rely on curse to set up. It can also switch in to mons trying to hit a psychic attack, and crit whatever comes in on the switch for surprising damage. Sadly, it lacks the speed to be more effective, and as mentioned, i dont know if it is outclassed by others.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
I dont know if this fits the description of nor being a "shitty gimmick" as i am not mainly a RU player and dont know much about the meta, but for me there has always been this idea of playing absol with superluck. No megaevolution, the normal absol. I know it has not gotten a lot of play recently (and if, its mega), but i NEVER met a superluck set, which made me think this has to be quite the creative set, or just really overrated by me personally.
As it goes, i have had an absol in my trolling-team, which is absolutely nothing for competetive battling. But i like my absol, and i am atm trying to build a real team with it.
Set details will follow tomorrow, as soon as i can get to my pc where the team is located. Basically it is a razorfang/superluck/high-crit-moves set, which will get you crittet no matter what. Up till now, i found it most useful against stallers that rely on curse to set up. It can also switch in to mons trying to hit a psychic attack, and crit whatever comes in on the switch for surprising damage. Sadly, it lacks the speed to be more effective, and as mentioned, i dont know if it is outclassed by others.
Sorry for bursting your bubble, but you can't even use Absol in RU. I don't know where you got stuff like "Up till now, i found it most useful against stallers that rely on curse to set up," but it must have been in another tier. This thread is only for creative sets for use in RU, not for theorymonning on higher-tiered Pokemon.

phantom

Banned deucer.

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 160 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Stealth Rock

Been using offensive rocks toad for a while and its been really neat in my experience ! The EVs here let it outspeed min Speed Gligar and KO it with Hydro Pump before it can get off a Defog (of course if you're laddering, you gotta speed creep some more ;o). I think it's better to stay slower than Golbat, that way when it Roosts, Toad can hit it with an Earth Power. Sludge Bomb is in the last slot cause you need a way to smack opposing Grass-types, and it hits most of them for SE damage, which is pretty cool while also giving Toad a legit chance to beat SpD Aromatisse if it gets the poison chance off. I find that the bulk and typing also let it check stuff like Sharpedo, Rhyperior, Jolteon, Doublade, Cobalion, etc. I guess Leftovers can be used over LO for more durability, but I find the power boost to be necessary. So if you're looking for a neat SR user that can beat most Defog users while also being able to check a couple dangerous threats here and there, then look no further to this ugly, yet lovable toad.

Super Soaker (Alomomola) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soak
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

Struggling to find a fourth move that fits Alomomola? Feel like the 30% chance of a burn is more like 0%? Try Soak. With Soak, you can weaken any Pokemon's STAB moves by 1/3rd and make them susceptible to Toxic. Only a handful of Pokemon can 2HKO it with their STABs taken away.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.

Super Soaker (Alomomola) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soak
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

Struggling to find a fourth move that fits Alomomola? Feel like the 30% chance of a burn is more like 0%? Try Soak. With Soak, you can weaken any Pokemon's STAB moves by 1/3rd and make them susceptible to Toxic. Only a handful of Pokemon can 2HKO it with their STABs taken away.
Hp electric over toxic imo.

Anyway, it's worth noting that steel and poison types will keep the status even after switching out.

Sub mons kill it even more, etc.

can be lovely against something like registeel, but registeel has no business being in front of alo for more than one turn anyway

Also, after the opponent is soaked, it's not like the have to stay in. The unexpectedness of the strategy is taken away by the fact that it takes two turns.

Hp electric over toxic imo.

Anyway, it's worth noting that steel and poison types will keep the status even after switching out.

Sub mons kill it even more, etc.

can be lovely against something like registeel, but registeel has no business being in front of alo for more than one turn anyway

Also, after the opponent is soaked, it's not like the have to stay in. The unexpectedness of the strategy is taken away by the fact that it takes two turns.
Can't tell if HP Electric's a joke, but

4 SpA Alomomola Hidden Power Electric vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Sharpedo: 88-104 (31.3 - 37%) -- 68.9% chance to 3HKO

And it does have a Substitute problem, but I would argue that Soak and Scald/Knock Off allow Alomomola to poison different Pokemon (Poison and Steel types with Soak, and Substitute users with Scald/Knock Off), and all 3 moves have additional utility, making them about equally viable. It's worth at least considering for a 4th move, and it's more viable than Eviolite Shelmet.

Last edited:
And it does have a Substitute problem, but I would argue that Soak and Scald/Knock Off allow Alomomola to poison different Pokemon (Poison and Steel types with Soak, and Substitute users with Scald/Knock Off), and all 3 moves have additional utility, making them about equally viable. It's worth at least considering for a 4th move, and it's more viable than Eviolite Shelmet.
And what would you do if you get Taunted? Wish/Protect/Toxic are mandatory (first for it's wishpassing role, second for scouting, and third for opposing Stall mons), leaving the last slot as an attacking move. If you are gonna use Soak, great! You now lose to every mon with Taunt and Substitute and can't troll physical attackers with burn via Scald. How becoming a useless fish instead of one of the most annoying things in the tier is worth the last slot is beyond me.

And what would you do if you get Taunted? Wish/Protect/Toxic are mandatory (first for it's wishpassing role, second for scouting, and third for opposing Stall mons), leaving the last slot as an attacking move. If you are gonna use Soak, great! You now lose to every mon with Taunt and Substitute and can't troll physical attackers with burn via Scald. How becoming a useless fish instead of one of the most annoying things in the tier is worth the last slot is beyond me.
I'll totally grant you Substitute, but even with an attacking move, Alomomola is already rendered nearly useless by Taunt. Scald can't even 2HKO Delphox after Stealth Rock, or consistently 2HKO Rhyperior. The burn chance is nice, but you have a only 30% chance to weaken a physical attacker by 50%, vs a 100% chance to weaken all attackers by 33% with Soak. It can still troll attackers just fine.

I'll totally grant you Substitute, but even with an attacking move, Alomomola is already rendered nearly useless by Taunt. Scald can't even 2HKO Delphox after Stealth Rock, or consistently 2HKO Rhyperior. The burn chance is nice, but you have a only 30% chance to weaken a physical attacker by 50%, vs a 100% chance to weaken all attackers by 33% with Soak. It can still troll attackers just fine.
252+ Atk Choice Band Druddigon Outrage vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 255-300 (54 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Just one example of a pokemon that is better of burned (and perhaps you should use a better spread...). unSTABed, Outrage does 36% minimum to this spread, so it does a minimum of 90%, which you may recognize as more then the hp you had left after SR. Granted, CB Druddigon is better countered by stuff like Registeel, but Mola is a great initial switch in to any physical attacker with Regenerator, so it's not unthinkable that this would happen. And no, you need Scald for stuff like Taunt+SD Drapion who would just laugh in your face otherwise.

Honestly, it seems like you're implying that getting Taunted without an attacking move and being forced to struggle is a good trade-off for being able to remove a STAB (that will be nullified anyway as the opponent switches) and being able to Toxic Registeel (when burn can wear it down just fine). On top of being SubCM Delphox's (and anything with a Substitute, really) bitch, too.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Endure
- High Jump Kick / Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Bullet Punch / Knock Off / Other Move

Normally I see the classic Fake Out + Normal Gem set on Hitmonlee, which itself isn't too bad. However, Hitmonlee's real potential lies in this set. This set is triggered very easily, as Hitmonlee is a rather fragile Pokemon without investment into defensive stats. A lot of attacks should get it to low HP. Or, if your opponent has a super-effective attack, that will get you low enough to get your Liechi berry boost. You are able to stay alive thanks to Endure. Then, with your +1 attack boost and your Unburden boost activated, you are able to sweep a majority of RU. This is why Hitmonlee can be a great late-game sweeper.

Last edited:

Hitmonlee (M) @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Endure
- High Jump Kick / Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Bullet Punch / Knock Off / Other Move

Normally I see the classic Fake Out + Normal Gem set on Hitmonlee, which itself isn't too bad. However, Hitmonlee's real potential lies in this set. This set is triggered very easily, as Hitmonlee is a rather fragile Pokemon without investment into defensive stats. A lot of attacks should get it to low HP. Or, if your opponent has a super-effective attack, that will get you low enough to get your Liechi berry boost. You are able to stay alive thanks to Endure. Then, with your +1 attack boost and your Unburden boost activated, you are able to sweep a majority of RU. This is why Hitmonlee can be a great late-game sweeper.
It's more than just underrated, it's what people should be using over Normal Gem sets. Normal Gem + Fake Out is barely powerful enough to break a Delphox's Substitute (not that you'd leave Hitmonlee on one, but still).

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

moltres is my bitch (Tyrantrum) @ Leftovers
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake / Fire Fang
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Roar

This set is very effective right now, at least in my experience. With its unique typing, which unfortunately gives it a whopping 6 weaknesses but a usable 5 resistances, Tyrantrum can wall a wide variety of threats in the current meta. These include but are not limited to: Moltres, Delphox, Jolteon, Heliolisk, Rotom-Mow, Exploud (252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyrantrum: 146-172 (39.6 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO), and more! I encourage you all to give this set a try. It can be a unique substitute for Rhyperior, as it has none of the quad-weaknesses that are so exploitable, as well as a quad-resistance to Fire that is very useful. Thanks, and have fun trying this out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)