Wash Rotom is OU, but...
The other Rotom forms have hit UU! Let's all take a look at them!​

HP: 50
Attack: 65
Defense: 107
Special Attack: 105
Special Defense: 107
Speed: 86​

So there's obviously a whole lot each can do. Here are some great sets for them!

Defensive Rotom @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SAtk / 136 Spd
Modest
--Overheat
--Thunderbolt
--Will-O-Wisp
--Pain Split
Taken right from Snunch's RMT, this is the premier bulky Rotom set. It has maximized specail attack as well as good bulk and a bit of speed. Overheat and Thunderbolt still hit quite hard for a defensive pokemon, while Will-O-Wisp spreads burn to the opponent, allowing you to tank physically. Pain Split works well with your low HP and not only heals you but screws up the opponent. The Speed EVs are to outrun Adamant Honchkrow. Additionally, you can run Max Speed and Timid to outrun Jolly Heracross. It is important to note that Rotom-H has useful resistances to Ice, Electric, Fire, Ground, Steel, Bug, and Grass (aka Nidoking's and Sawsbuck's exact movesets).​

Choice Rotom @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid
--Trick
--Overheat
--Thunderbolt
--Volt Switch / HP Grass
Rotom has decent Speed and good Special Attack, allowing it to be a great Choice pokemon. Trick allows it to dump its Choice Scarf on anything that won't like it (Chansey), while the other moves are to inflict pain. Overheat hits like a truck, as does Thunderbolt. A choiced Volt Switch allows for fast scouting and switching, but HP Grass offers for more coverage. HP Ice can be used, but no one expects HP Grass, and since it gets almost equal coverage, it is almost preferable. A Timid nature is prefered to outspeed Choice Scarf Jolly Heracross. Note that Rotom-S can also do an effective Choice Scarf set due to Air Slash's flinch rate.​

Subcharge Rotom @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Modest
--Substitute
--Charge Beam
--HP Ice
--Thunderbolt / Pain Split
A classic Subcharge set. The idea is to sub up, boost, then kill once you're a powerhouse. Rotom-F is preferable due to having a more powerful HP Ice, but Rotom-H can be used for better typing. Although Rotom-F has access to Blizzard, it is unreliable and therefore HP Ice is preferable. For those who need a more powerful attack besides Charge Beam, Thunderbolt is an option, and on the other hand there is Pain Split for a sort of SubSplit set.​

Blizzspam, eat your heart out @ Life Orb / Choice Scarf
Timid / Modest
--Blizzard
--Thunderbolt
--Volt Switch
--Pain Split / Trick
Refrigirator Rotom has amazing coverage with its two STABs, but Blizzard tends to be innacurate outside of Hail. That's why this functions best in Hail. Life Orb allows Rotom to alternate between Blizzard and Thunderbolt to kill pretty much anything, but it tends to be slow, so a Choice Scarf is an option. If you are using a Life Orb, use Pain Split to help relieve the LO recoil. If using Choice Scarf, use Trick to help screw over some other pokemon.​

Asshole Rotom @ Leftovers
Timid
--Thunderwave / Discharge
--Confuse Ray
--Air Slash
--Thunderbolt
Paraflinchfusion Rotom can be difficult to face. After it paralyzes you, it'll follow up with Confusion. Right there, that's a 25% chance that you'll attack. Then it starts Air Slashing you. Now there's only a 17.5% chance that you will ever attack Rotom. Truly a pain if pulled off. Thunderbolt is the other STAB move on this set, and can really be replaced with anything, such as Pain Split.​

Status Platform @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm
--Discharge
--Will-O-Wisp
--Leaf Storm
--Pain Split
Rotom-C doesn't have much going for it, but it's still usable. To be honest, this set can be pulled off by any of the other forms, and this has little that sets it apart from the others. This takes advantage of Rotom's bulk and status moves. The main idea is to paralyze mostly everything with Discharge and to burn physical threats with Will-O-Wisp (which explains the largely uninvested physical defense). Anything not paralyzed by Discharge (aka Ground types) will be hit extremely hard by Leaf Storm. Finally, Pain Split, allows you to heal up.
DISCUSS!​

@ Life Orb / Leftovers
Timid Nature
6 / 0 / 0 / 252 / 0 / 252
~ Thunderbolt
~ Shadow Ball
~ Substitute
~ Pain Split

Boss. Almost beats Blissey if played correctly. ;P
At first glance, normal Rotom is inferior in every way. But it has two significant advantages. A) It has higher speed. Because its speed is fairly high for UU, it can run an effective Subsplit set. B) It has ghost typing. This is a blessing for normal Rotom. This not only allows Rotom to spin block (which was arguably the best thing about it last gen), but it allows it to beat several pokemon like Chansey one on one due to an immunity to Seismic Toss and immunity to status behind a sub. Its two STABs have good but not perfect coverage together as well, being only walled by several pokemon too frail to take advantage of their resistances (aside from Magneton, Steelix, and Feroseed).

Specs Rotom-H is absolutely beast. Besides an awesome typing (with the exception of SR weak), Specs STAB Overheat destroys everything, and Specs STAB Volt Switch is a treat. I actually omit Thunderbolt in lieu of HP Ice and Trick. Resisting BoltBeam is an absolute asset and it helps it act as a valuable check to a lot of Pokemon that rely on it.

Of all the Rotom UU forms, Rotom-H is definitely the best to use Specs, as it has the best coverage outside of Rotom-F, which has unreliable accuracy.

Definitely try it out, it catches lots of people off guard and Specs Volt Switch is great once you clear out ground types.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Since you named the thread Rotom rather than A-Rotom…

Aren't you forgetting about…
someone?

breh

強いだね
I'd second that. Rotom Normal is annoying as hell. It's like if Mismagius had STAB on Thunderbolt.

Also, apparently its STAB combo is resisted only by Magneton and Steelix why does it say this on its 4th gen analysis?

In addition to those, there is Sawsbuck, Shiftry, Cacturne, Krookodile, and Ferroseed (lol).

Rotom-H should probably get a mention as a decent sun check/counter/whatever (resists most attacks from victrebell/Eggy/tangrowth and kos with overheat.) One Defensive Rotom I just use 128 HP/252 SpA/128 spD which lets it absorb special attacks from sun attackers better. Speed isnt needed much since all Honchkrow ever use is sucker punch >__>. Almost like Heatran of UU, except much less used.

I'd second that. Rotom Normal is annoying as hell. It's like if Mismagius had STAB on Thunderbolt.

Also, apparently its STAB combo is resisted only by Magneton and Steelix why does it say this on its 4th gen analysis?

In addition to those, there is Sawsbuck, Shiftry, Cacturne, Krookodile, and Ferroseed (lol).
Probably because Shiftry can't switch into Will-O-Wisp or Signal Beam and is slower, and while Cacturne doesn't mind Burn so much with it's 115 base SpA, it's extremely slow without a Choice Scarf and has the same Bug weakness. Magneton lacks coverage for Rotom and all Steelix can do is Roar.

As for the Gen V situation, it does change quite a bit. Krookodile naturally outspeeds, enabling it to revenge or trap with STAB Dark moves.

Drought's presence in UU means that Shiftry can outspeed without resorting to a Choice Scarf, enabling it to revenge kill. It still hates burn and Signal Beam though. Sawsbuck's Bug weaknes isn't so bad, and it outspeeds in all weathers. Sure, it lacks the power to OHKO defensive sets before a Swords Dance, but it has Aromatherapy and Horn Leech which make it easier to set up on or wear down defensive pokes.

Rotom-S seems pretty obsolete. Togekiss does Paraflinch better. As for C... well, I suppose it does have better bulk than N without being SR weak like all the other forms in UU.

actually no iron ball nulls both flying type and levitate immunity to ground attacks

but it will still be immune to ground when it's tricking bullseye/aiming mark since that item doesn't null ability based immunity's.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey, where's regular rotom??? :(

It's not a bad Poke! It's about as useful in UU as Sigilyph or Quagsire in OU (read: very viable!)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Subcharge Rotom @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Modest
--Substitute
--Charge Beam
--HP Ice
--Thunderbolt / Pain Split
What is this what is this. Why are we using HP Ice when you have Blizzard available? Isn't that whole point of using Rotom-F o_0?

Anyway, SubCharge Rotom-A isn't that good this gen, since the main way he was able to setup on Chansey/Blissey was because they couldn't do anything back to him (Read: Ghost-typing). If you want to use SubCharge, regular Rotom would be happy to perform it well.

As for Rotom-C, I really think he is underrated. Apart from Rotom-W (who is OU, even then, Hydro Pump isn't THAT reliable) and Rotom-F in hail (read: dubious), he is the only Rotom form that has a reliable super-effective move to kill Ground-types with. This makes him a lot harder to predict around when using a Specs set, when you're hoping to spam Volt Switch and the like.

Rotom-C @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid / Modest
-Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power Fire / Thunderbolt
-Trick

i gotta say, rotom-c is a beast on any sun team, checking most (if not all?) bulky waters wanting to come in on boosted fire attacks, im using specs rotom-c, it saves the day, also, wanting to make a ghost rotom, any sets anyones using with success?

also, wanting to make a ghost rotom, any sets anyones using with success?
@ Life Orb / Leftovers
Timid Nature
6 / 0 / 0 / 252 / 0 / 252
~ Thunderbolt
~ Shadow Ball
~ Substitute
~ Pain Split

Boss. Almost beats Blissey if played correctly. ;P

I've found that with the Parahaxing Rotom, Electro Ball really provides great power if the foe is paralyzed. The majority of foes you face will most likely eat a 150 base power STAB move if it's Timid and you paralyzed it, so I enjoy using that over T-Bolt/Discharge.

I've found that with the Parahaxing Rotom, Electro Ball really provides great power if the foe is paralyzed. The majority of foes you face will most likely eat a 150 base power STAB move if it's Timid and you paralyzed it, so I enjoy using that over T-Bolt/Discharge.
Honestly, I could see a paralysis set that works something like that working with any rotom-forme, though Rotom-F in hail is best suited for obvious reasons.

Rotom-f @ Leftovers
252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 HP
Timid(modest) / Levitate

Blizzard
Discharge/Thunder Wave
Substitute
Electra Ball

Great power on all its moves makes up for its less-than-stellar spatk, and it can cover almost everything short of Snorlax/Chansey with stab boltbeam in UU. With paralysis support, electra ball hits 100 power at the minimum vs. anything that is at or below Rotom-F's speed tier after being paralyzed.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if this is applicable anymore, but I used to run a Black Sludge Trick Normal Rotom way back in Gen IV. My team was having lots of problems with Blissey, so Rotom ended up being an awesome choice. I could completely stop any Blissey by tricking on the Black Sludge first turn and then send off a Thunder Wave to mess with it or whatever poor soul was switching in.

I dunno if it's a legitimate strategy anymore, but it could be food for thought. Rotom has the blessing of incredible typing and should not be blown off.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Actually, Black Sludge will harm Rotom if it has to keep it for whatever reason, and its kinda obvious it holds it for tricking it, meaning it is not a viable stratwgy IMO. And tricking a choice item is just as useful and Rotom can use it.

Not sure if it was mentioned but regular rotom walls staraptor except for u-turn. Sub split rotom is pretty boss on alot of UU top threats.

I think that Rotom-Mow deserves a scarf set as it is the only one that isnt weak to stealth rocks apart from Rotom Normal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)