Pending Room tournament statistics

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Greetings, I'd like to suggest a few ideas to improve the tournament making for chatrooms, mainly by allowing the staff to read statistics about the room tournaments held in their respective chatrooms (similarly to the /topusers command to some extent, but for tournaments).

The idea would be to make accessing such data in an easier, more readable way. Currently, one can use /ml tour create to see what tournaments were made, or /ml tour start to see how many players each tournament had upon starting, but it is quite hard to notice tendencies through this means, and harder to combine both search results.

With a dedicated command (/tourstats?), accessing a table or a graph that shows the proportion of tours launched within the last month (or last year for an extra setting), as well as showing the average player count of each type of tournament, could help the room staff see tournament tendencies and thus provide an even better experience to their respective community.

For example, taking the /topusers example, a ranking of tournaments held within the last month would display
1. Gen 8 OU - 21% - avg. 16 players
2. Gen 8 Random Battle - 18% - avg. 30 players
3. Gen 8 Ubers - 12% - avg. 20 players

These are random examples but it could help the hosts see the preferences of their players, which would be pretty useful for chatrooms that do not focus on one single format, without having to rely on making polls too often. I'm thinking of /topusers for the formatting due to being used to it, but I could see it under the form of a round graph too, or a table of some sort. Trusting our UI experts here to create the most intuitive result if this gets approved.

There's the case of custom rules too. I personally believe that a regular gen 8 OU tournament shouldn't count the same as a gen 8 OU one with Xerneas unbanned and 8 Pokémon per team, so I don't know if each variant of format+rule should count separately in this ranking, or if any "format+rule" should count as "that specific format (+ custom rules)", for example Gen 8 OU would still have its own ranking, but tournaments that are "Gen 8 OU + Xerneas" or "Gen 8 OU with 8 Pokémon" would both count as "Gen 8 OU (+ custom rules)". It would be perfect to have the distinction made if the data can be easily retrieved, whether it's through the former or the latter option.

Additionally, although being much less important and needed than the previous part, a command to see the players who've won (or placed 2nd, 4th, 8th... in) the most room tournaments, within the last month/year and overall, could be an nice quality of life change too. This is already covered by bots in many rooms that have their own leaderboard with points, but I figured it could be interesting to access such data (provided it's been logged from the beginning), to see:

- who wins the most battles per tournament on average
- who wins the most battles overall
- who places best in room tournaments on average
- who won the most of a certain type of tournament (for example a ranking of the 100 people with the most tournament victories in a given format)

This part is (in my opinion) not as needed as the first one, but if it's approved & feasible, and if the people who implement it have enough time for that second part too, it would be beneficial.

Thank you for your time and my apologies if anything's unclear!

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
The issue with this is we don't log any of this sort of information.
We could, but given the frequency of tours I suspect it would quickly become difficult to search.
In addition, I would also be concerned about the space the logs would take up, given how many tours there are, but that might be a Zarel question (?).

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
The issue with this is we don't log any of this sort of information.
Aren't they logged in the modlog/chatlogs (at least for the first part --formats and player count)? Or am I misunderstanding and it's not the sort of logs that such a command would need to access?

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
We log some data (sparingly) in the modlog. Bracket data as well is in the chatlog, but not in a very useful format.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)