Rock, Paper, Scissors, Infinity, DOUBLES. Now under new management!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
Doomsday the tournament ruiner is out. aamto the great tournament host is in. And now it begins, the rpsi DOUBLES tournament.

rpsi is basically an abstract game of the classic rock, paper, scissors. Instead of picking rock, paper, or scissor, you pick ANYTHING. Anything you want. Object/person/animal/anything. The more creative you are, the better! and instead of the z<x<y<z format, the outcome is told by a short story crafted by 3 judgemen.

take a look at some recent irc examples:
[19:45] <%AvatarST> a handkerchief stained with daks nosebleed after he was punched by me
[19:45] <@dak> a rocket launcher modified to launch dodgeballs

[19:51] <@thunda> dak mounts his dodgeball launching dodgeball launcher on his shoulder and stares down the scope. in the middle of his crosshair he easily picks out an argentine farmer who is busy feeding his chickens. preparing for an easy kill, dak pulls the trigger.
[19:51] <@thunda> but suddenly this un-named argentine farmer sneezes. he stands up, and the dodgeball completely misses him. dak failed to bring a spare ball, so it looked like he lost. damn... but wait!
[19:51] <@thunda> the argentine farmer goes to blow his nose... with a blood soaked tissue?? after using this tissue he catches a rare disease, so rare if i type its name value will decrease extremely. this poor farmer died that day, and they threw his body away.
[19:51] <@thunda> --
[19:51] <@thunda> winner: rocket

--

[20:07] <thunda> crocodile with hair straighteners instead of a jaw
[20:07] <Mordock> an army of cats armed with machine guns

[20:12] <@dak> an army of cats armed with machine guns decided to invade the principality of swampland.
[20:12] <@dak> prince crocodile at best IV, who lost his entire jaw in a terrible accident involving the mighty bison crossing a road and subsequently had it replace by a giant hair straightener, decided it was time to counter attack.
[20:12] <@dak> as cats are stupid animals, they forgot to load their machine guns and used the bayonettes on top of them to fight the crocodile army
[20:12] <@dak> the prince crushed in incernated 200 cats with the ferociously burning bites off his prothese jaw, leaving only a single cat alive
[20:12] <@dak> this cat was so terribly terrified by the prince that it decided to stab itself with the bayonette
[20:12] <@dak> winner: prince crocodile at best IV

--

[22:30] <@evan> Credit Default Swaps
[22:31] <@Hipmonlee> a clotheshanger
[22:31] <@Broolucks> a computer mouse fiendishly set up so that the left and right buttons are inverted
I think you get the idea. But this tournament will be a bit different, as we've already had a completed singles tournament (no thanks to ruiner Doomsday and cookie). This tournament will be DOUBLES. Premise is the same, except its two to a team BUT the players on the team CANNOT COLLABORATE WITH WEAPONS. That is to say, both players submit weapons without knowledge of what their partner submits. Punishment will be swift and decisive for those who collaborate.

EXAMPLES
[17:56] <@daquiri> 12 a rhyme-shooting machinegun
[17:56] <@cookie> 4double (BAN ME PLEASE)
[17:56] <%Brain> 12shiv's new invention: rocket powered cow dung
01[17:56] <@matamato> 4 a portuguese belly dancer

[17:49] <@daquiri> 12 a coil of barbed wire
[17:49] <@cookie> 4 a potato gun that also fires turnips
01[17:49] <@matamato> cloud masquerading as captain canada
[17:49] <%Brain> 12vineon's salt shaker
a match from a few months ago, matamato/cookie v daquiri/brain.

Setup
Tournament will be in a bracket format. Team members are to PM me (on the forums) their weapons, which will then be posted and judged. judges cast vote for the winners (in the form of an epic story), most vote wins (obviously).

The judges themselves will be playing as well!

The judges
1. me
2. captkirby
3. Hipmonlee
4. Kumar
5. Brain

how it will work is that 1 judge will not play and he will judge every match that involves judges. the others can lay claim to matches that particularly inspire them with a good story. in the end, every matchup will have 3 judgings and a winner.

Participants
1. Brain/Shiv
2. cookie/fm
3. technicolour dreamboats (matamato/Fishin)
4. Hipmonlee/dp-crobat
5. our pants could be tighter (evan/jackal)
6. Sidecar (toothache/pookar)
7. PROIBIDO MERGULHAR (doomsday/misaki-chi)
8. QUAZE (earthworm/billymills)

POOL OF POTENTIAL PLAYERS: moi/Jimbo , Mordock/Veedrock , Toothache/pookar , Shade/stoo , cookie/fm, Doomsday/Misaki-chi, evan/jackal, gmax/cyzirvisheen, earthworm/billymills

you all should get team names. it makes it more legit

Sign ups are now. I'm going to be picking from people I feel can create a good game. There are no reserved spots, no 'first come, first serve.' If you are very new, this likely isn't a game for you. If you don't get in, don't feel bad. Follow the thread, possibly join the irc community, and get a better idea of how the game is played for the next tournament.

Both partners must post here to confirm their partnership and participation. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Final words

Be creative with your weapons. Your imagination is your number 1 tool in this kind of tournament. 'Superman' or 'Goku' while mighty in their own right, are not particularly creative. I've listed several examples (I may edit in more if I can find em in my logs). Obviously don't recycle them or you will be laughed out of this tournament.

also it is worth saying for the second time: YOU MAY NOT TELL YOUR PARNTER WHAT WEAPON YOU PICK BEFORE YOU SEND IT IN.

On that note, I will NOT take revisions after a weapon has been sent. Choose your weapon wisely.

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm in.

currently looking for a partner. was thinking of partnering with jackal/evan/avatar or someone depending on who plays.

also, evan, play so we can partner up after the whole thing last time heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)