SS OU RMT - Rillaboom & Hawlucha Offense Build(New to gen, need suggestions)

Hello guys!

First of all i'm completly new to gen 8 meta game so i checked some posts about what is common in OU and such but i'll most use this team in online gameplay in swsh.

I got my switch like 5-6 days ago and finally finished dex & got my shiny charm. So i started breeding for competitive playing. My starter was Gookey and i loved him so much thats why i wanted to build a team around him and i heard they are such a good duo with Hawlucha. Digged around bit and looked those builds but i really wanted to put some of my favourite pokemons instead of using common pokemons around Rilla+Hawlucha core.

I also loved this gen dragon type Dragapult and Fighting Legendary Urshifu. What i read and heard these 2 also are good pairs with Rilla+hawlucha. So i'd love to keep these two in the team.
So here it is, feel like i am lacking some special attacker in this team and i feel like i am gonna have some problems against Corviknight and some other Physical Defensive pokemons. I m looking forward to hear from you guys which pokemons im gonna struggle with and how can i improve my team.

Rillaboom @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- U-turn

This was my starter type, but bred HA one through home gift and i wanted to build my team around this guy. I am not sure about moveset tho. SD set with grassy glide, knockoff/??, U-turn maybe would pair better with rest of the team. This set was suggested on website so i just pick this one, cant decide if having 120 power attack stab headstart or SD and +1 prio stab attack is better to be honest.

Hawlucha @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Close Combat

I knew Hawlucha from other gens, good typing and moveset but recently found out that he pairs good with HA Rillaboom beacuse of Grassy Seed item. Not sure about Roost tho, maybe another coverage move would fit better on my team. But again i have zero to none about current metagame and thought cant go wrong with roost.

Urshifu @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch

I usually never ever use legendaries in my teams and play often UU/NU without legendary pokemons. But i crushed on him. He looks so badass and i felt like i must use him. Googled a bit and read that CB set on Urshifu works good enough. With Jolly nature i think he can help to sweep/will sweep weakened teams rather easily.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder Wave
- Fire Blast

I needed special attacker, her base 100 SpA looks good enough with specs set and good stabs. I wanted to keep my team Galar orianted as much as posible. With this guy half of team would be from galar region. I'd love to keep this guy on my team if posible. But would consider to swap her with something else.

Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Hydro Pump

Common WishCleric set i guess but i'm not sure on this one, Probably this one i would switch with a good suggestion. Thought about pixilite Slyveon but kept this one beacuse i thought Unaware would support my team more than Slyveon would do. Replace Clefable to Galar-Slowking with assault vest, with his ability regerenator i'll mostly use him for speacial attacker check and deal with slower fairy types. With him i kept my special wall and added another ferrothorn check with flamethrower but lost wish/aromathrepy support.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Mold Breaker entry hazard setter with access to rapid spin. Excadrill is good imho, very good attack and his ability ignores magic bounce as far as i know so thats why i choosed him. But not sure about nature, i guess jolly would do better against other setters? I m totally open to suggestion on my lead pokemon, maybe using a taunt lead would be better i dont know. Iron head is mostly dealing with slower fairy types.

Thats it. I really wanna keep rilla+hawlucha+urshifu and open to suggestions for other 3 pokemons. If this team would work with all those 6 pokemons but with different movesets or such that would be great also.

Rillaboom @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Hawlucha @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Close Combat

Urshifu @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch

Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Hydro Pump

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder Wave
- Fire Blast
"

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to Smogon! I am locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least three lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and look at Team Showcase to see the detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions, and I will be happy to unlock this.

Hello, Here to help :psyglad:
1. I would recommend changing rillaboom to cb if you're not running sd, as the damage boost and not taking chip is important.
2. I would use that life orb on urshifu as it has much more damage capability without having to rely on 1 move.
3. I would use a defensive lando-t for rocks instead of exca as ground and electric types are literally everywhere
4. I would change dragapult to basically any over special attacker. It can be walled like spectrier and only had 100 base sp.atk. It's up to you what you replace it with but id recommend spectrier, latios, pheromosa or magerna.
pokepaste --> https://pokepast.es/90e553f838ad0bb1

Last edited:
Hello, Here to help :psyglad:
1. I would recommend changing rillaboom to cb if you're not running sd, as the damage boost and not taking chip is important.
2. I would use that life orb on urshifu as it has much more damage capability without having to rely on 1 move.
3. I would use a defensive lando-t for rocks instead of exca as ground and electric types are literally everywhere
4. I would change dragapult to basically any over special attacker. It can be walled like spectrier and only had 100 base sp.atk. It's up to you what you replace it with but id recommend spectrier, latios, pheromosa or magerna.
pokepaste --> https://pokepast.es/90e553f838ad0bb1
Hello there, i thought my post is left to rot :blobshrug:
Thanks for input, meanwhile i tested my team on showdown for a while and edited it a little bit.
1. Using LO SD Rillaboom with grassy surge, knock off, u-turn and he is doing a fine job.
2. Since im using LO on rillaboom i'll keep CB on urshfiu beacuse afaik i cant use 2 same items on online gameplay. But if i run CB rilla i'll do as you suggested for Urshifu nice input thanks.
3. Main reason i wanted to use excadrill was beacuse his ability to set rocks on magic bounce pokemons but i didnt see those in showdown often. I'll consider using Lando-T if i also dont see many magic bouncers in online gameplay.
4. Replaced flamethrower on Dragapult with fire blast to deal with ferrothorn easily beacuse; 252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 388-460 (110.2 - 130.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO while flamethrower dosent.

I'm was struggling while dealing with ferrothorn, i might just volcarona i guess. Fairy types giving me real trouble tapu's for most of the part. I could use some advice for dealing with them. Meanwhile i'm trying Galar-Slowking if he works to counter them, not enough testing though.

Edit: I'll edit my main post with currently using moves.

Hello there, i thought my post is left to rot :blobshrug:
Thanks for input, meanwhile i tested my team on showdown for a while and edited it a little bit.
1. Using LO SD Rillaboom with grassy surge, knock off, u-turn and he is doing a fine job.
2. Since im using LO on rillaboom i'll keep CB on urshfiu beacuse afaik i cant use 2 same items on online gameplay. But if i run CB rilla i'll do as you suggested for Urshifu nice input thanks.
3. Main reason i wanted to use excadrill was beacuse his ability to set rocks on magic bounce pokemons but i didnt see those in showdown often. I'll consider using Lando-T if i also dont see many magic bouncers in online gameplay.
4. Replaced flamethrower on Dragapult with fire blast to deal with ferrothorn easily beacuse; 252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 388-460 (110.2 - 130.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO while flamethrower dosent.

I'm was struggling while dealing with ferrothorn, i might just volcarona i guess. Fairy types giving me real trouble tapu's for most of the part. I could use some advice for dealing with them. Meanwhile i'm trying Galar-Slowking if he works to counter them, not enough testing though.

Edit: I'll edit my main post with currently using moves.
I would recommend replacing dragapult for something maybe not so limited as you only have 1 special attacker. It's fine keeping lo rilla if you use sd, magic bounce is very uncommon and if you do find it you have u-turn to pivot

I would recommend replacing dragapult for something maybe not so limited as you only have 1 special attacker. It's fine keeping lo rilla if you use sd, magic bounce is very uncommon and if you do find it you have u-turn to pivot
I would recommend a form of latios either soul dew, scarf, or specs as it can deal with ferro and deal insane damage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)