[RMT] Catastrophic Combination (XY Laddering Team)

This Is Old, Please Don't Post Here!

Volt-Turn is pretty popular as of now, so I thought I'd have a crack it at myself.
And now I see why it's so popular.

When building this team, I tried to pick Pokemon with a maximum of 2 Weaknesses and a synergetic partner. First off, there was the obvious choice of Rotom-W + Genesect. Next off, I wanted a defensive core which could set up stealth rocks and have defog/rapid spin. The core of Gliscor + Snorlax was my answer to this. Snorlax's Thick Fat can take ice type attacks no sweat, and Gliscor can take fighting type attacks easily. Sadly, Defog + Poison heal is incompatible, so I had to settle with lefties. Lastly, since my team lacked a Sweeper and a Mega, I decided to go with Gyrados + Manetric. Manetric is an Excellent Volt Switcher thanks to Lightingrod.(pre-mega) and Intimidate. Gyrados is a excellent lure for Manetric, as it hates Electric type moves and laughs at ground type moves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Def / 242 HP / 16 Spd
Impish Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

I know what your thinking, "this guys a noob, there's no poison heal!!" But I actually have a valid reason. As I stated before, Poison Heal + Defog are not compatible. It is worth it for an unblock-able rapid spin, and it makes Gliscor an excellent support Pokemon. Gliscor is here as my hazard support, physical wall, and slow pivot. It helps snorlax by taking Fighting type attacks, or really any physical move in general.

Steath Rock and Defog are self explainitory, helping me with hazards. Roost is for recovery, and allows gliscor to function as a talonflame counter. A slow U-Turn is great for momentum, seeing if the opponent switches out or not. Sand Viel can be useful agaist T-tar and Hippowdown, but it is rarely seen in use.

Snorlax @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

This is the new Blissey. But it's better. It has higher defence, more resistances, and can accually do damage! Joking aside, Snorlax is my special tank. Snorlax can take any unboosted special attack and deal damage back. With Thick Fat, snorlax becomes a great switch in for ice type attacks threatening Gliscor.

The evs are to maximize Attack and Special Defence. Return is the obvious STAB, which 2HKOs most frail special sweepers. With Pursuit, Snorlax can trap threats such as Alakazam, Gengar and Latios. It can also can deal significant damage to special attackers switching out. Fire Punch is for steel types that get it the way, and for additional coverage. Earthquake is also for coverage.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Flamethower
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

What can I say? It's as effective as it is overused. Genesect is an excellent revenge killer an a volt-turner along with Rotom-W. Genesect was the first pokemon I put on my team and it does work. Lots of work. It also takes Grass type moves for the team.

This is the standard physical Genesect. Flamethower OHKOs threats such as Ferrothorn and Scizor. U-turn is self explainitory, and actually does a lot of damage unresisted. Ice beam Is for things like Landorus, Gliscor, and Other Flying or Ground types. Iron head is a powerful stab move with a flinch chance which can be game changing.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Another Way Overused mon' on my team: Rotom-W. Rotom accually does most of the work on the team taking out various threats and crippling Physical attackers. Rotom takes physical Fire and Ice type moves for the team. (Since Snorlax can't take to many physical moves)

This is the same Overused Specially defence Ev Spread. I find that Pain Split is generally better than Chestorest becuase rotom-w forces many switches. Volt switch is self-explanitory. Hydro pump is its main STAB option, with deals a decent amount against frail attackers. Will-O-Wisp completely shuts down any physical attacker attempting to set up.

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Earthquake

Gyrados's has fallen out of use in XY, but it is still a prominent threat nonetheless. With access to Dragon Dance, Moxie, a useable base 81 Speed and huge base 125 Attack, Gyrados is an excellent sweeper for my team, and for any team in general.

Standard offensive Dragon Dance Evs with Moxie, and Lum Berry > Life Orb for Nasty Status effects that come in the way like WoW Sablye or Twave Klefki. Waterfall is great stab which OHKOs most pokes that aren't physical walls at +2 or higher. Bounce is also excellent, (if it goes first) Becuase the opponents attack will miss, and if they switch out, that's a free Damage to the next Poke. EQ is for coverage.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod -> Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Manetric is a rare case. Like some pokemon, when they where released, they were instantly thrown into the hate pile because of there poor design. But, since Manetric is actually useful, it turned into a Overall "Meh" Manetric Fits Well into my team with an immunity to Electic, Intimidate, and Volt Switch. It also has an outstanding 135 Speed and Special Attack.

Volt Switch is Self explanitory. (Man, I'm saying that a lot) Thunderbolt is there so I can deal consistent damage, and man does it hit hard of 135 Special attack. Overheat Anaylates Steel, Fire and Grass type pokes, while Hp ice is to Surprise OHKO things like Landorus-T.

Threats:
Not many Pokemon can stop this team, the most prominent one is (Physically Defencive) Mega Vensusaur. Genesect can kind-off deal with it, but not very well. Jolly Technican breloom can also pose a threat, But manetric can deal with it.

Thanks for Reading, Please Leave Suggestions!

Steal My Team:
Gliscor @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 242 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spd
Impish Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

Snorlax @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Flamethrower
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Earthquake

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Change Log:
- Ev Spreads of Gyrados and Snorlax changed slightly
- Genesects Blaze Kick changed to Flamethower
- Gyrados Stone Edge now Earthquake

Last edited:

Arsonal

Banned deucer.
Err sorry to burst your bubble partner. But sand veil and ANY other type of veil abilitys that increase evasion. Were banned. You literally cannot have it on gliscore or else it not competitvly viable here on smogon.

AustinJ

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Err sorry to burst your bubble partner. But sand veil and ANY other type of veil abilitys that increase evasion. Were banned. You literally cannot have it on gliscore or else it not competitvly viable here on smogon.
Not with the weather nerf.

Neat team. I love Snorlax as much as I dislike Rotom-W, so I guess it all evens out. ;)

First off, a very minor nitpick. Try a spread of 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SDef, Adamant for Snorlax. You get roughly 2% better all-around bulk while retaining all your power. It's not game-breaking, but there's no reason not to make the change, either.

Next, I highly recommend Flamethrower over Blaze Kick on Genesect for a number of reasons. First, the majority of your targets (many of them 4x weak to Fire) will give you a SpA boost via Download if you switch in to them, so the lack of SpA investment is irrelevant. Second, Blaze Kick has that irritating 90% accuracy, whereas Flamethrower won't miss. Third, Flamethrower won't trigger Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs... save HP wherever you can.

Last, I would like to suggest 2 changes on Gyarados. You make like a spread of 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd, JOLLY for Gyarados. The loss of power after one DD isn't that great in my opinion, while the extra speed lets you outrun two targets that I find important: Jolteon and opposing Mega-Manectric. This brings me to my second proposed change:

Try Earthquake over Stone Edge on Gyarados
. Stone Edge is handy to hit Flying- and Ice-types, but otherwise its coverage is redundant with Waterfall. Besides, the rest of your team seems capable of dealing with those two types, so it shouldn't be a big loss. Meanwhile, Earthquake nets coverage on Electric- and Steel-types. Jolteon is easily OHKOed by +1 Jolly EQ, while Mega-Manectric is always OHKOed with just SR damage, even after Intimidate.

As for threats, one stands out in my head: Jolly LO Technician Breloom. It outspeeds 4 of your 6 team members and Spores any of them (and no status immunity on Gliscor), guaranteeing a free turn to SD. After that... yikes.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 58.1 - 68.9%
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Snorlax: 156.1 - 184.3%
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 196.7 - 232.8%
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Genesect: 105.3 - 124%
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 46.6 - 55.1%
+1 (factoring in Intimidate) 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Manectric: 82.2 - 97.1%

If you see Breloom on the opponent's team, you know that Mega-Manectric and Gyarados are going to be CRITICAL to avoid being swept, as they are the only two that can tank a hit (and Manectric can only do so from very high health) AND respond with a killing blow (and Gyarados' Bounce is easily played around). Be on the lookout for that.

Hope this helps!

Neat team. I love Snorlax as much as I dislike Rotom-W, so I guess it all evens out. ;)

First off, a very minor nitpick. Try a spread of 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SDef, Adamant for Snorlax. You get roughly 2% better all-around bulk while retaining all your power. It's not game-breaking, but there's no reason not to make the change, either.

Next, I highly recommend Flamethrower over Blaze Kick on Genesect for a number of reasons. First, the majority of your targets (many of them 4x weak to Fire) will give you a SpA boost via Download if you switch in to them, so the lack of SpA investment is irrelevant. Second, Blaze Kick has that irritating 90% accuracy, whereas Flamethrower won't miss. Third, Flamethrower won't trigger Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs... save HP wherever you can.

Last, I would like to suggest 2 changes on Gyarados. You make like a spread of 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd, JOLLY for Gyarados. The loss of power after one DD isn't that great in my opinion, while the extra speed lets you outrun two targets that I find important: Jolteon and opposing Mega-Manectric. This brings me to my second proposed change:
Try Earthquake over Stone Edge on Gyarados. Stone Edge is handy to hit Flying- and Ice-types, but otherwise its coverage is redundant with Waterfall. Besides, the rest of your team seems capable of dealing with those two types, so it shouldn't be a big loss. Meanwhile, Earthquake nets coverage on Electric- and Steel-types. Jolteon is easily OHKOed by +1 Jolly EQ, while Mega-Manectric is always OHKOed with just SR damage, even after Intimidate.

As for threats, one stands out in my head: Jolly LO Technician Breloom. It outspeeds 4 of your 6 team members and Spores any of them (and no status immunity on Gliscor), guaranteeing a free turn to SD. After that... yikes.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 58.1 - 68.9%
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Snorlax: 156.1 - 184.3%
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 196.7 - 232.8%
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Genesect: 105.3 - 124%
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 46.6 - 55.1%
+1 (factoring in Intimidate) 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Manectric: 82.2 - 97.1%

If you see Breloom on the opponent's team, you know that Mega-Manectric and Gyarados are going to be CRITICAL to avoid being swept, as they are the only two that can tank a hit (and Manectric can only do so from very high health) AND respond with a killing blow (and Gyarados' Bounce is easily played around). Be on the lookout for that.

Hope this helps!
Thanks so much for the rate, your suggestions make sense and after a bit of testing changed them all to yours. :D

Thanks for notifying me off breloom, I'll be more careful now!

Sorry I don't have time to do a long rate right now, but I think Sand Veil is banned as I have a Sand Veil Donphan on one of my team and someone said it was banned. Then someone said it wasn't, so I looked it up and it was. Also, really interesting Volt-Turn Team! Maybe Deoxys D over Snorlax as you get Harzards up, both defenses are great, and I think it gets U-Turn. Also, every Manectric I've seen so far has U-Turn and this is a Volt-Turn Team so I think you should have it. Great team and good luck with it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)