SS OU rising tides (rain + rising voltage bo)

hey y'all, so back in 2020 i made a hyper offense rain team based around regieleki. it was super fun to play with and when it won it won hard, but it was inconsistent at times due to regieleki's need for ground-type removal. this was pretty hard given the frequency to which we saw lando-t back then, and it's even harder now. combine this with the struggles hyper offense teams face in the current metagame and i wanted to create a new team based around the concept of rain and rising voltage that was more on the bulky offense side of things. it's been super fun so far and it's gotten me back up into the mid-high ladder after a fall, but as always i'm looking for suggestions. so here it is:

pelipper.gif
barraskewda.gif
tapukoko.gif
heliolisk.gif
ferrothorn.gif
scizor-f.gif

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

pelipper is the rain setter for the team and the lead. while it may be tempting to lead with somebody else predicting that the opponent will lead with a pelipper counter, i'd recommend against it as barraskewda is too important to not have rain up as often as possible. while most pelipper leads are physically defensive, i chose to make this one specially defensive because this team struggles with special powerhouses like tapu lele and dragapult. damp rock is to make rain last as long as possible, and the -spe nature is to get the slowest u-turn possible on mons like defensive lando-t. although you'll be clicking u-turn 80% of the time, scald and hurricane are stabs and roost is for longevity. most pelipper on rain teams are the defoggers; however, given that they can't run heavy duty boots, i've found that this severely limits their longevity, as it requires them to use roost a lot more often, which can disrupt offensive momentum. therefore, i opted for a different defogger, who i'll get to later.

Barraskewda @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flip Turn
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Crunch

barraskewda and pelipper are besties! this is a standard rain sweeper set - adamant over jolly because who needs that extra speed in the rain. i'm pretty sure the only thing that outspeeds would be +2 +spe dragapult or +1 regieleki, so if these worry you you could run jolly instead. flip turn is the move of choice - it does a scary amount of damage in the rain and the momentum it offers is great. liquidation is a nice game ender, close combat for coverage (i.e. ferrothorn and melmetal), and crunch for slowbro/slowking and their galarian alts. psychic fangs could be run here but it isn't super necessary since we have other ways of pressuring toxapex. these two mons round out the "rain" part of the team and should be kept healthy at all costs, as they are almost always crucial for winning the game. given that they're susceptible to hazards i needed a defogger...

Tapu Koko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost

i originally had a more offensive tapu koko here, but i've been enjoying this supportive variant lately. he's one of the fastest defoggers around; even without max investment, this spread allows him to be faster than weavile. max HP investment keeps him around as long as possible and then the rest is in special attack so that its thunders (100% accurate in the rain) hit as hard as possible. u-turn is to keep up momentum, and boots and roost are to ensure that this guy sticks around. removing hazards usually becomes less of a problem towards the end of the game, especially if pelipper and barraskewda are healthy, but keeping tapu koko healthy for the first half to two-thirds of the game is important. i'm pretty sure i remember tapu koko being a more common defogger back in sm/usum - it's now often cast aside for the longevity that torn-t offers, but i really like tapu koko on this team because in addition to setting up electric terrain for the next mon, it pressures toxapex out of switching in on the defog. toxapex would otherwise be a problem for this team, especially with toxic spikes.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rising Voltage
- Volt Switch
- Surf
- Grass Knot/Focus Blast

imo, the three best abusers of rising voltage are regieleki, alolan raichu, and heliolisk, in that order. i originally had alolan raichu on this team, and while it was capable of hitting harder than heliolisk after a nasty plot (and was way faster), it made this team extremely susceptible to dragapult, as well as weavile to a lesser extent. heliolisk's ghost immunity is a huge boon to this team, and its ability to heal off life orb damage thanks to rain support is excellent. rising voltage is very strong with tapu koko's help, and volt switch is for maintaining momentum. surf is for lando-t and any other ground-type switch ins, and grass knot is helpful for water/grounds, namely gastrodon. i'm still undecided on whether focus blast would be better here, because it would allow this team to take on ferrothorn much more easily, but there are other answers to ferrothorn on this team, whereas without grass knot gastrodon would completely wall it.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Knock Off
- Body Press
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

for my defensive core i knew that i would need ferrothorn right off the bat. while physically defensive ferrothorn can fit on practically any team lately, i think it's especially good on this team, where rain halves its glaring fire weakness. i originally had gyro ball on him for tapu lele, but after bringing the next mon on board (spoiler), i switched to knock off, as i had no knock off users without it. body press is for weavile, magnezone, melmetal, etc., and if the opponent is willing, trading ferrothorn for another ferrothorn via body press is great for this team. leech seed for recovery, and it's also the rocks setter of this team.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance/Superpower/Knock Off

i've tested a variety of defensive mons in this spot but i've found the most luck as of late with specially defensive scizor. this spread ensures that it won't get 2hkoed by banded kartana's sacred sword, and the rest goes into HP and special defense to make it the specially defensive pivot for this team. without it, tapu lele and clefable would be huge problems, and it's also a great answer to rillaboom, who takes down ferrothorn pretty easily if it has superpower, as well as weavile. if the opponent has a rillaboom, preserve scizor at all costs, and ferrothorn if you're able - otherwise, rillaboom beats this team easily. ferrothorn and scizor together make a good defensive core, and like ferrothorn, its huge fire weakness is halved thanks to the rain. roost and leftovers are for longevity, and swords dance is cool for punching some holes if it gets the opportunity. this doesn't happen very often though, so i'm tempted to switch out swords dance for superpower or knock off - if i keep grass knot on heliolisk, superpower would be helpful for ferrothorn. furthermore, if i put knock off on scizor, maybe i could slap gyro ball back on ferrothorn. just lmk.

that's the team! thanks so much for your help in advance :) i'm mostly looking for advice in the defensive and supportive regions of this team, i.e. koko/ferrothorn/scizor, as pelipper, barraskewda, and heliolisk aren't super negotiable without switching the whole premise of the team. still though, let me know if you think there are better options for any of the 6. thanks!

importable: https://pokepast.es/e0b56ed43df9398b

Heyyy nice team!

After Pinkacross' RMT on Heliolisk, I started loving it on rain. A few very minor changes might help here though.

1. :ferrothorn: Since you aren't running Gyro Ball on Ferrothorn, you should run an Impish nature with 4 Speed EVs instead of the 4 SpD EVs to speed creep other Ferrothorn to which aren't speed invested.

2. :pelipper: I think you should remove Hurricane and change it to Toxic on Pelipper, as you will almost never click Hurricane. Toxic on the other hand can help cripple many mons that try to switch in on the expected U-turn.

3. :scizor: Scizor is a very niche pick here. Scizor actually doesn't check Tapu Lele at all. Even though it can shrug off attacks and Roost up, Bullet Punch does not hit it due to Psychic Terrain blocking priority moves, so maybe something like AV or Leech Seed Celesteela, AV Melmetal, or Scarf Kartana would be a better choice. Scarf Kartana seems esecially good cause your team lacks immediate speed control apart from Skewda in rain. If you decide to run Kartana, changing Ferrothorn to SpD or a mixed defensive set would benefit the team largely. If you choose to run Kartana, Focus Blast is better on Heliolisk, as it allows it to hit steels, and Kartana would be an answer to bulky Ground/Water types.

That's it for my tips, and hope u found them helpful.

Heyyy nice team!

After Pinkacross' RMT on Heliolisk, I started loving it on rain. A few very minor changes might help here though.

1. :ferrothorn: Since you aren't running Gyro Ball on Ferrothorn, you should run an Impish nature with 4 Speed EVs instead of the 4 SpD EVs to speed creep other Ferrothorn to which aren't speed invested.

2. :pelipper: I think you should remove Hurricane and change it to Toxic on Pelipper, as you will almost never click Hurricane. Toxic on the other hand can help cripple many mons that try to switch in on the expected U-turn.

3. :scizor: Scizor is a very niche pick here. Scizor actually doesn't check Tapu Lele at all. Even though it can shrug off attacks and Roost up, Bullet Punch does not hit it due to Psychic Terrain blocking priority moves, so maybe something like AV or Leech Seed Celesteela, AV Melmetal, or Scarf Kartana would be a better choice. Scarf Kartana seems esecially good cause your team lacks immediate speed control apart from Skewda in rain. If you decide to run Kartana, changing Ferrothorn to SpD or a mixed defensive set would benefit the team largely. If you choose to run Kartana, Focus Blast is better on Heliolisk, as it allows it to hit steels, and Kartana would be an answer to bulky Ground/Water types.

That's it for my tips, and hope u found them helpful.
thank you sm!!! i agree with all of these changes - and idk how i forgot about the psychic terrain thing. ive only fought lele twice with this team - the first time they got rid of skewda and i got melted, and the second time i switched koko in before scizor without even realizing that that is what allowed me to hit it with bullet punch. i think im going to try av melmetal in its place. i've used it before on other teams and i really like it, and i can run superpower so that i can keep grass knot on heliolisk. if i end up needing the speed control i'll try kartana.

https://pokepast.es/8555bae611cb0949

Last edited:
I think Heliolisk could make really great use of Weather Ball over Surf here! If you were running boots on Pelipper you might not want Heliolisk to have to rely on it too much, but honestly with Damp Rock you can really take advantage of those extra rain turns. It'll be stronger than Surf in rain, and I guess at least it gets STAB otherwise? :p

For real though, I like your team a lot! Heliolisk is always fun to see and there's something I enjoy about Defog Tapu Koko on rain teams.

If you decide to keep Melmetal, I think it could run Ice Punch instead of Thunder Punch for extra coverage, especially since you don't have a lot of offensive coverage for Grass-types and you've got the electricity under control already.

A bigger thing is that Rillaboom actually looks like a pretty huge threat now. Kartana could take care of it after an Attack boost if you decide to try it out, it'd just have to be careful of Superpower.

That's really all I can think of at the moment though, nice team!

I think Heliolisk could make really great use of Weather Ball over Surf here! If you were running boots on Pelipper you might not want Heliolisk to have to rely on it too much, but honestly with Damp Rock you can really take advantage of those extra rain turns. It'll be stronger than Surf in rain, and I guess at least it gets STAB otherwise? :p

For real though, I like your team a lot! Heliolisk is always fun to see and there's something I enjoy about Defog Tapu Koko on rain teams.

If you decide to keep Melmetal, I think it could run Ice Punch instead of Thunder Punch for extra coverage, especially since you don't have a lot of offensive coverage for Grass-types and you've got the electricity under control already.

A bigger thing is that Rillaboom actually looks like a pretty huge threat now. Kartana could take care of it after an Attack boost if you decide to try it out, it'd just have to be careful of Superpower.

That's really all I can think of at the moment though, nice team!
Hey cinnasaur! I thought about Weather Ball on Heliolisk, and at first, it may seem like a really good idea, however, it is inconsistent without rain, and in the endgame, when its a 1v1 against ground types, and there is no rain, you'll lose the game. (don't mind that long sentence lol) Surf inside of rain gets a boost either way, so it still hits almost as strong as Weather Ball and you can also use a Water type move without relying on rain.

And rcklssoptmsm, I've a few more suggestions for you after trying out this team.

1. :pelipper: Pelipper again... Since we're adding AV Melmetal or some form of SpD Steel type, Pelipper should definitely be physically defensive to better check Kartana and Rillaboom, since Melmetal or the other Steels can get blown apart by Superpower or other Fighting type coverage. Now, you can probably keep Hurricane on Pelipper so that you can offensively check Rillaboom and Kartana as well. If you like having Toxic though, you can keep it, or try both Toxic and Hurricane and see which is better.

2. :tapu-koko: Ok, so I versed a couple teams on mid ladder at around 1400 ELO, and I was playing against Hydreigon quite a lot, and the team is super weak to it, especially defensive ones. Only Barraskewda can break through it with Close Combat, and Ferrothorn with Body Press (as long as it doesn't have Flamethrower). Melmetal also does a good job against it, but the variants with roost can take a Superpower and Roost up, and then start spamming Dark Pulse. So, Dazzling Gleam on Koko seems like a good idea, being able to hit ground types, and dark types super effectively. Since you have Heliolisk with an incredibly powerful electric move, fairy type coverage benefits the team more than another Electric STAB.

3. This is a tip on the RMT itself, so that it looks more appealing. You can try using sprites (basically pictures of the pokemon). Also, you should add a threat list, since you played this team, and you know what can break through the core, so that the people rating it can think about what to change according to the threats.

Hey, nice to see you back with another successful RMT! I just wanted to do a little optimizing with the team.

:Pelipper: SpD Toxic (Scald) -> Def Defog (Ice Beam)

Dragonite and Garchomp eat this team for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Apart from Barraskewda your speed control is meh, and even then you're lacking a proper defensive core for things like Rillaboom. Ice Beam is a three for one, giving your coverage for Dragonite, Garchomp, and Rillaboom all in one slot, which frees up room for Defog. Being physically defensive is a lot more important in this team, and you are already packing AV Melm.

:Tapu Koko: Bulky (Defog) -> Offensive (Taunt)

Defog Koko is pretty awful. Even though Pelipper can be a sub-par defogger, the support of Taunt from the likes of Koko helps it perform its job and it can alleviate concerns with hazards, set up sweepers, and bulky walls like Blissey in a team that likes to maintain momentum. It benefits from Pelipper running Ice Beam, and running a faster spread means that you are less concerned about the occasional slow Scarf while hitting harder with Thunder / Thunderbolt.

Actually, I have to revise a little bit more before I make any pastes.

[EDIT]

Had to revise further. Somehow managed to miss that the team had other obvious holes lol.

Last edited:
Hey, nice to see you back with another successful RMT! I just wanted to do a little optimizing with the team.

:Pelipper: SpD Toxic (Scald) -> Def Defog (Ice Beam)

Dragonite and Garchomp eat this team for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Apart from Barraskewda your speed control is meh, and even then you're lacking a proper defensive core for things like Rillaboom. Ice Beam is a three for one, giving your coverage for Dragonite, Garchomp, and Rillaboom all in one slot, which frees up room for Defog. Being physically defensive is a lot more important in this team, and you are already packing AV Melm.

:Tapu Koko: Bulky (Defog) -> Offensive (Taunt)

Defog Koko is pretty awful. Even though Pelipper can be a sub-par defogger, the support of Taunt from the likes of Koko helps it perform its job and it can alleviate concerns with hazards, set up sweepers, and bulky walls like Blissey in a team that likes to maintain momentum. It benefits from Pelipper running Ice Beam, and running a faster spread means that you are less concerned about the occasional slow Scarf while hitting harder with Thunder / Thunderbolt.

Actually, I have to revise a little bit more before I make any pastes.

[EDIT]

Had to revise further. Somehow managed to miss that the team had other obvious holes lol.
here's what i'm running now: https://pokepast.es/e987cc642d5482e9

i haven't played with it a bunch but it's been pretty good so far. i do miss defog koko a little just because i had to put less effort into preserving pelipper, but blissey was so annoying (beatable, just annoying) and this helps. i think problems right now are better speed control and a better way to deal with rillaboom, and also ferrothorn is still annoying. but these improvements so far are definitely good - ty!!!

here's what i'm running now: https://pokepast.es/e987cc642d5482e9

i haven't played with it a bunch but it's been pretty good so far. i do miss defog koko a little just because i had to put less effort into preserving pelipper, but blissey was so annoying (beatable, just annoying) and this helps. i think problems right now are better speed control and a better way to deal with rillaboom, and also ferrothorn is still annoying. but these improvements so far are definitely good - ty!!!
You're welcome! I had a thought before regarding the team, however. You are still very weak to Zeraora and Regieleki, seeing as you facilitate both by having no Electric immunity. Do you have any ideas for remedying this? My ideas boiled down to Garchomp + Celesteela, but I think there are other options to explore that I'm not thinking of.

You're welcome! I had a thought before regarding the team, however. You are still very weak to Zeraora and Regieleki, seeing as you facilitate both by having no Electric immunity. Do you have any ideas for remedying this? My ideas boiled down to Garchomp + Celesteela, but I think there are other options to explore that I'm not thinking of.
that's really not a bad idea, i was thinking about trying out celesteela anyway in place of melmetal, and physdef garchomp would do a lot of the same things i rely on ferrothorn for. the only thing i'm missing out then would be knock off support from ferrothorn. maybe i could also try physdef swampert and spdef celesteela? swampert would be a bit slower than garchomp but would also be able to pivot with flip turn and wouldn't be weak to tapu koko. it would also widen my weakness to rillaboom but celesteela is a better answer to rillaboom than both ferrothorn and melmetal anyway.

that's really not a bad idea, i was thinking about trying out celesteela anyway in place of melmetal, and physdef garchomp would do a lot of the same things i rely on ferrothorn for. the only thing i'm missing out then would be knock off support from ferrothorn. maybe i could also try physdef swampert and spdef celesteela? swampert would be a bit slower than garchomp but would also be able to pivot with flip turn and wouldn't be weak to tapu koko. it would also widen my weakness to rillaboom but celesteela is a better answer to rillaboom than both ferrothorn and melmetal anyway.
The awkward thing about chomp is that tou'd probably want it to be offensive, but you can't slot Fire Blast, Flamethrower, or Fire Fang due to rain. Same for Celesteela, which leaves it helpless in front of AV Melm

Either get rid of Barraskewda, swap for Seismitoad or swap Heliolisk for Thundurus-Therian. Rain without an electric immunity is not viable.

I also don’t like the Rilla matchup. Defensive Scizor is too weak to defeat SD Boom. Ferrothorn loses as well. I recommend switching Scizor to Choice Band or changing this slot to a Hurricane bird instead.

Either get rid of Barraskewda, swap for Seismitoad or swap Heliolisk for Thundurus-Therian. Rain without an electric immunity is not viable.

I also don’t like the Rilla matchup. Defensive Scizor is too weak to defeat SD Boom. Ferrothorn loses as well. I recommend switching Scizor to Choice Band or changing this slot to a Hurricane bird instead.
I ended up getting rid of scizor a while ago but thank u LOL. i swapped heliolisk for thundurus-t and even tho its not quite as fast the electric immunity is definitely helpful. here's what i'm running now: https://pokepast.es/925094d16844f181

definitely handles rillaboom better but fast ghost types are a problem now (blacephalon and dragapult). my strategy for them is just chip and then finish them off with barraskewda because even for dragapult a resisted liquidation in the rain does plenty.

Better: However- There are still a few thoughts-

Thundurus-T is not grounded, therefore doesn’t really benefit from electric terrain. Switch to Nasty Plot, Thunder, Weather Ball, Focus Blast

Tornadus-T is broken in the rain as well, but needs a more offensive set. Switch to Nasty Plot, Hurricane, Focus Blast, Taunt or Weather Ball. Run Defog on Pelipper > Toxic.

Tapu Koko wants to use Thunder somehow. Switch to Thunder, Dazzling Gleam, Volt Switch, Roost. Koko is actually a really good Knock Off absorber so you can run Choice Specs to make the most of those brutal Thunders in the Rain. Koko appreciates the power bump.

Consider Aqua Jet > Crunch on Barraskewda. It will get you out of a bind if rain dies prematurely, and helps vs. Scarf Blace, and Trick Room users like Marowak. You aren’t weak to the Slowtwins.

The only issue I see now is switching into opposing Ferrothorn. Run Knock Off > Gyro Ball on your own Ferro, and give it a few speed EVs. Switch your own Ferro into opposing Ferro, Knock Them, than hammer away with Body Press. A crippled Ferro without Leftovers will lose to your onslaught of Tapu Koko + Barraskewda.

Last edited:
I tested a similar version of this team based on your electric SPAM Koko concept. It is shockingly effective. Koko is a great cleaner on Rain with good synergy to Barraskewda. Well done!

Barraskewda @ Protective Pads
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Ice Fang
- Flip Turn

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Roost

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Weather Ball
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Crunch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)