Research Week - Staryu, Porygon, Grumpig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staryu's niche is not supposed to be any of those things except a fast spinner. It sets itself apart from Cryo through the fact that SR is more common than spikes to which staryu is neutral. Also does better against stall as it doesn't care about being statused which cryo hates.

Staryu also gets an arguably better stab and can actually beat the pokes that are using the ones setting up rocks unlike cryo who has to run in fear.

Porygon should probably be running Life Orb as it needs the extra power and should only ever be sweeping with paralysis support. You shouldn't really be running a bulky set as bulky charge beam is done better by other pokes and trace isn't very good in NU.
Staryu is supposed to be whatever we can get it to be, not what you dictate it is only fit for. That is the entire point of this thread; finding new uses for pokemon not previously looked at.

Apart from that I agree with you, but in practicality Staryu cannot switch into very much at all without an eviolite for fear of being 2HKO by basically anything with an offensive presence. Atleast Cryo can switch into special attackers.

Porygon without Eviolite is laughable in my opinion and who said that I ever used charge beam on a bulky set?

From my testing Porygon's best sets are bulky support with a decent special attack dictated by what your team requires. Life Orb Porygon was a role that is done much better by the faster and harder hitting special attackers in NU.

Well thick fat grumpig is actually quite a good emboar counter, If you invest enough into Hp/Def, it isnt 2hko'd by either stabs, and is able to hit back hard with a strong psychic coming from its decent special attack. In fact, def Grumpig works well as a switch in for Sawk's close combat also.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So uh this died. I'll post another one probably after reqs come out so you guys don't have to test and ladder ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)