Regigigas

I believe Regigigas has been overlooked. He could make a great paralyzer in the tier, and once his crippling Slow Start ends, his Return becomes somewhat usable.

Regigigas @ Leftovers Trait: Slow Start
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Return
- Drain Punch

this set seems very viable, and yet I don't see that many people use him. Slow Start only cripples attack and speed, so he still has usable Defense and high HP.

Regigigas @ Leftovers
Trait: Slow Start
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Confuse Ray
- Thunder Wave
- Return
- Drain Punch

Another viable set could be a para-fusion set to eventually let slow start run out, so you can being to hit with a hard return, and recover some lost damage with Drain punch.

Any other ideas for Regigigas?

col49

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
anywho, he's pretty cool as a status platform i guess. i've ran him here and there and he does a decent job. the only outstanding "offensive" regigas i've ever used was as follows:

Regigigas @ Leftovers
Trait: Slow Start
EVs: 176 HP / 180 Atk / 152 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Return
- Earthquake / Payback

pretty basic set, but it's better than his other offensive stuff imo (sorry november, yer subpolish set just don't work for me :/). twave does a decent job of remedying his speed 'til the slow start wears off, and allows him to retain some relevance as a status platform if ya aren't finding yerself in a scenario where you can really sweep. sub is basically mandatory for avoiding status and such. from there it's just stab+coverage. obviously eq is generally better, though it does make pursuit support a must. the evs give regi 101 hp subs, enough speed to outpace min speed base 50's down (audino, licki, regirock, quag, amoongus, etc.), and the rest dumped int attack for, ya know, attacking 'n stuff.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Purely offensive Regigigigigigiasgasg sets have always managed to disappoint me. You're relying on a pretty mediocre offensive stat for the first five turns that it's in (and you can just as well get statused, killed, or otherwise be set up upon) and it's just ugh inferior to Tauros and Kangaskhan and the other great Normal-types in the tier. Its best set is really just making use of its pretty good bulk and being a status platform, which coincidentally helps stall out those Slow Start turns anyway and lets you hit decently once you're in for long enough. Regigigas is just one of those mons that I've had a hard time actually being convinced it can be used effectively.

I'm not too convinced he could do much, but i'f you're looking to use him, change those Def EV's to SpD. His typing suits it better. Fighting is an extremely common physical type, so he's better off tanking ice beams/ t-bolts.

As said before, I'm not too impressed with it. It seems like too much hassle to try and stay alive, just so you can get a few hits off with whatever health you MAY have left.

I'm not too convinced he could do much, but i'f you're looking to use him, change those Def EV's to SpD. His typing suits it better. Fighting is an extremely common physical type, so he's better off tanking ice beams/ t-bolts.

As said before, I'm not too impressed with it. It seems like too much hassle to try and stay alive, just so you can get a few hits off with whatever health you MAY have left.
but his bulk offers a nice t-wave inducer :)
and he can just tank for a while, until his job is done

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Regigigas @ Leftovers
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Careful
~ Return
~ Substitute / Earthquake / Fire Punch
~ Thunder Wave
~ Confuse Ray

This is an RU set, not sure if it works in NU. But it does parafusion and has mixed wall properties. Stuff.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
It's a bit reliant on luck but when steels are gone the Rock Polish set from the analysis is actually ok.

Here it is:

Regigigas @ Leftovers
EV's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Substitute
-Rock Polish
-Return
-Zen Headbutt

This set can't be walled by Ghosts and hits really hard once Slow Start stops happening. After forcing a switch, just keep setting up subs until Slow Start stops then Rock Polish and murder everything. Can be great fun when you pull it off.

why zen headbutt?

drain punch, fire punch, or earthquake are much better options.

probably earthquake is the best

To hit Fighting types sent in to counter it maybe? Earthquake or Drain Punch is probably the better all round move.

Tbh I reckon Regigigas should give up any hope of being a sweeper and just focus on tanking. Stalling out 5 turns with low speed and mediocre attack is not a very efficient strategy, and then only to suffer from severe coverage issues in the end. As a bulky tank it can take a hit, retaliate, support the team (maybe) and if you manage to stay alive for 5 turns you get a little treat at the end. If it is treated as having base 70 attack or whatever from the outset then it has potential I reckon. A tank set along these lines?

Regigigas @ Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
-Return
-Drain Punch
-HP [Grass] / [Ice] / Thunderbolt / [Ghost]
-Thunder Wave / Knock Off / Substitute

Amazing bulk, Return and Drain Punch to deal damage, third move to hit your target of choice: Golem, Quagsire, Tangela, Altaria, Alomomola, Misdreavus etc. 4th move is to patch up Regi's speed, or support the team, or Sub to let it wall-break with 101 Subs.

If you manage to get 5 turns, you get a free Swords Dance and Agility as reward but not using that as a reason or excuse to use him.

Is it a good idea to team Regigigas with mold breaker rampardos? (Regi is NU, correct?) Mold breaker would neutralize slow start, making Regigigas a monster.

It would dominate in RU doubles...

Or not........?

Is rampardos still good with mold breaker? Will mold breaker eliminate slow start?

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Meh.

The problem with Regigigas is that it doesn't really offer anything special. In the five or so turns it takes to stall out Slow Start and attempt a sweep, you could have set up with something else in half the time and have a faster stronger sweeper to work with. 419 / 460 Attack isn't so great with mono Normal STAB coverage when you have Shell Smashers and Swords Dancers topping 600 Attack.

And its typing sucks too. 110 / 110 / 110 defenses might be great, but it has no resistances, recovery, or ability to abuse (Unaware, Thick Fat). This might sound harsh, but we've tried to make Regigigas work, and it just doesn't. It's useless deadweight.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
Zen Headbutt is for things like Ghosts and fighting types that can OHKO it. Not many unboosted moves can OHKO Regigigas unless they are Fighting so I think a Psychic move is imperative.

Meh.

The problem with Regigigas is that it doesn't really offer anything special. In the five or so turns it takes to stall out Slow Start and attempt a sweep, you could have set up with something else in half the time and have a faster stronger sweeper to work with. 419 / 460 Attack isn't so great with mono Normal STAB coverage when you have Shell Smashers and Swords Dancers topping 600 Attack.

And its typing sucks too. 110 / 110 / 110 defenses might be great, but it has no resistances, recovery, or ability to abuse (Unaware, Thick Fat). This might sound harsh, but we've tried to make Regigigas work, and it just doesn't. It's useless deadweight.
No Pokemon is ever totally useless, but instead some Pokemon are made harder to play with than others. The point of this is a Skill Gate that many competitive players simply have to get by in order to call themselves good. You don't expect every Pokemon to be easy to play with, do you?

Regigigas is an example of something that is a Skill Gate many people seem to be rather unwilling to even try to pass through. Being able to keep him in for five turns is not hard if you can get effective teammates.

Every tier has someone who can Taunt things, who can set up Toxic Spikes/Stealth Rock in order to make someone waste a turn on Aromatherapy/Heal Bell/Rapid Spin instead of doing anything with positive momentum, who can Encore a laughable move, who can scout a Choiced Ghost-move... there are many ways to support Regigigas that people are either disregarding or not considering when using it. It is supremely easy to find teammates to help Regigigas get going, and once it gets going it becomes one of the best Physical Sweepers the game has to offer.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The simple fact of the matter is that regigigas simply is not worth five turns.

If his ability didn't require him to be out for five consecutive turns, and/or persisted for longer then until he gets swapped out, then he might actually be worth it.

But let me ask you this: What significant advantage does he give, aside from being about to shout out the I AM OZYMANDIAS, KING OF KINGS speech every time you throw him out, over something with bulk that's spamming, say, swords dance? Because that swords dancer has significantly more attack power then regigigas in three turns, and while regi doesn't need to use a specific move each turn, even after one swords dance that pokemon is more useful then regi.

Slow start is just simply in every sense of the word too slow. Plus it doesn't even turn into anything useful post-five turns. It doesn't help that regi's movepool is utter trash. Perhaps if he had rest, or protect...

Don't get me wrong, I like Regigigas, but what does he have that Lickilicky doesn't?

Even with proper set up opportunities I've never felt threatened by an offensive Regigigas (I've fought the rock polish set a number of times), in saying that he has amazing bulk, particularly in a tier with so few fighting types, his potential to stall and wall is only let down by his lack of reliable recovery.

I have a healthy amount of respect for the t-wave/sub-stall variant, Return certainly hits hard once it's active, even on a defensive set. Knock off on Regigigas can be very annoying as well, as he can doubly cripple a decent chunk of the enemy team with knock off and thunder wave.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)