OU RBY OU Discussion Thread

I dont get the need to frame it as if the world will end and RBY will die if counterplay doesn't get made for these teams inmediatly. Counterplay develops naturally. If you want to be the one to spur this metagame change, go ahead, nothings stopping you. Zapdos was doing extremely poorly just a few months ago, and now we have a couple months of people using thse teams a decent bit, and Zapdos finally getting a high winrate, and you get impatient and act as if this is a massive issue. Counterplay will of course come up agajnst these teams in due time, and the meta has been really healthy in the meantime, so I dont get the need to be dramatic about it.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
people are stuck in a bit of a rut, but this is nothing new

peasounay dominated everyone for multiple years running very few teams

this is just how the game goes; someone optimizes a certain structure or style really well because it's strong in the meta, it dominates for a while, it becomes the meta, then the antimeta shows up (in peasounay's case victreebel, in our modern case zapdos), then that just wins consistently for a while because people are still playing the old stuff, people stop playing the old stuff, and we're back in a state where everything's up in the air again

no need to stress for "the progression of the metagame". you just need to wait for the one guy who figures it out and pushes things forward. (or you can become that guy. that'd be the best way to do it. speaking from experience, wins speak louder than forum posts)

It's really unfortunate that I even have to make this post, but I think its very evident that things have been going in a nasty direction for a while. the spam of the same three teams is bringing the metagame towards an unhealthy direction and this had me, and many others, realize if change doesn't happen now, it never will.

A few months ago, RBY PL IV mostly saw the Washed Wartortles spam three teams in the relatively inexperienced OU slots to some success, with a 13k 4xOU bo3 core being 7-9 and an overall 10-11 record in the OU slot. In the span of the months following RBY PL, these same three teams would end up being among the most used teams in RBY Rising Stars. People may argue that these are far and away the best teams so why not spam them, but the reason not to is that you become predictable and people can beat you. In the span of two to three months, this should be enough time to develop answers to a perceived meta team. While there was a small glimpse of this happening, this quickly faded away and the same teams have continued to be spammed. The spammed teams can be pointed to a particular set in rby invitational, where these only showed up in a bo5. While this didn't initially lead to these teams being among the most used teams in the tournaments following it, it does shed a light on the state of RBY OU being locked into zapdos vs rhydon. RBY Invitational saw the rise of zapdos winrate, with an overall winrate being 60+% which is very good for zapdos. This can be pointed to high usage of eq reflax because of high gengar usage in the tours leading up to RBY Invitational. The high usage of eq reflax incentivizes zapdos usage since eq reflax is less effective at making immediate progress. In addition, eq lax also disincentivizes rhydon usage. With zapdos having the highest winrate since last RBY Invitational, players have played zapdos and rhydon teams to stop the zapdos spam. When analyzing the same three teams, you will notice that these teams answer themselves, which makes for a cyclical nature. Being locked into the same matchup and the same three teams for a few months in a row has halted the progression of the metagame, which is concerning.

To go from this year's RBY Invitational meta arguably being the best RBY has been to the current metagame of being locked into the same teams and same matchups, the response to this should be figuring out what beats these teams. When building teams in RBY, you will notice most teams will be able to beat either zapdos or rhydon, but the tough part comes from building teams that beat both. When this question is unanswered, I fear the spam will continue for longer than it should be happening.

To my fellow RBY OU players, if you care enough about the direction of RBY OU, I urge you to test and solve for more answers to this metagame, and deal with it as soon as possible.

Sorry for the name drops, they’re used to make show egregious examples. This is not about said users, but about the double standards that have occured.

s/o reyscarface, haha react if you get the reference; if not, do whatever the fuck you want to
GOOD POST MR JVG

Team Italy was predicting Zapdos to be back quite soon, there it is. Unfortunately that was not going to happen against Team Germany: you guessed it by their avatar, they love Rhydon. Zapdos/Rhydon/Water has always been one of the main themes of RBY OU. I assume Alakazam/Starmie/S4 to be the third team. The metagame is small and it becomes boring at times, but we have seen a huge variety of teams and even new movesets in the recent history of the tier.
As most people said, someone is going to fix this. I predict IceLax to be a major contributor.

I'm pretty sure the 3 teams being referred to are MIe Egg Don/Mie Egg Zap/Gar Egg Mie, but the point still stands that their relative dominance is temporary and people will find a way to take advantage of them + other teams still exist and do well, ofc including Zam Egg Mie.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
As most people said, someone is going to fix this. I predict IceLax to be a major contributor.
my money is on boomlax, really helps the zapdos match ups and enables different structures
either way I agree there's no reason for HB/EQ to make up >90% of the 4th moves you see on lax, which is what it feels like right now. that should be the place people look to if they want to find edges against the current meta, HB/EQ are 'safe' but they are not necessarily the strongest

Amaranth

What structures do you believe benefit significantly more from boomlax compared to HB/EQLax?
anything that appreciates the removal of chansey and has answers to snorlax other than your own; boomlax teams can afford to be soft vs zapdos since they doesn't need to worry about lax getting bullied by it nearly as much. backmie fits these criteria and enables boomlax a lot by itself already. articuno gets a ton better with boomlax (maybe you even manage to remove cloysters for it), moltres likewise appreciates it. backzam can be a demon with chansey out of the way too.
normal teams can just run boomlax for flexibility though. it's just a nice bailout button, you can play it to just get out of a lax mirror that you're losing or whatever. it's good

Earthquake, hyperbeam, selfdestruct, snorlax wants all those moves indeed, maybe its time to get back to the physlax days, infortunately this set is very prone to paralysis and thus requires support to be played optimally, hard to fit but its definitely the one set that will cover most match ups and set up tauros or the 6th like no others. Fitting it on good teams is difficult however

I have personally cooked with a physical Counter Lax set recently (after toying a bit with Counter Chansey), with good prediction it annihilates Tauros and eases mirroring duels with opposing Lax.

It could be suboptimal since I am not a top RBY player but I drop it here. :blobthumbsup:

A reply to 第二十五夜.

Will a new move set or team structure ever displace the current meta? Sure. Will anything ever change? No, not really.
The list of viable Pokémon isn’t getting bigger, and all of The most impactful moves and mechanics will most likely continue being the most impactful moves and mechanics.

Now as for the lack of variety being called unhealthy some may agree some may not. I find myself asking what about this format is health? The answer I’ve come to is - not much…

hope that helps

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
What are peoples opinions on Tauros' 3rd and 4th move options that aren't Blizzard and Earthquake?
Imo there's some interesting options:
Thunderbolt for me is the one I'd consider running the most, getting that extra damage on cloyster can be huge as it can be a big wall to break through otherwise.

Lately Rest has been "trending" as an options for bull. I can see the longevity being appealing but I'm not sold on it being a viable option in a metagame where crits have such a high crit chance, and Tauros is bulky but it's not taking hits as well as say Snorlax, who can afford to rest more often than bull (can get back vs stoss, parad enemy lax, Chansey, etc.) Still I'd have to go through relevant calcs to see which mons actually let the bull wake up from rest.

Fire blast is a niche option as it just gives you better odds on the 1v1 vs other tauros, but it's overall not seen as something worth running considering how valuable other options are.

Finally, some people even run stomp for the flinch chance but yeah...weak otherwise and niche option.

Tldr: tbolt>rest>>stomp/fire blast imo. Still, these are all niche options as most games you're mostly gonna be clicking body slam and hyper beam.

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Tbolt Tauros feels like it’s in a funny spot rn with the sheer amount of Zapdos and Rhydon and the general lack of Cloyster. It’s kind of funny to me because theoretically Cloyster is a huge pain in the ass for Rhydon and is still hard to find entry on for Zapdos without losing precious HP to Clamp, but the fact that nearly every team has a Starmie now and most of those are SurfBolt means it has to contend with that, and ofc most teams want their own Starmie (and often Eggy) so you’re giving up one or both of these to avoid getting murdered by Zapdos.

Lately Rest has been "trending" as an options for bull. I can see the longevity being appealing but I'm not sold on it being a viable option in a metagame where crits have such a high crit chance, and Tauros is bulky but it's not taking hits as well as say Snorlax, who can afford to rest more often than bull (can get back vs stoss, parad enemy lax, Chansey, etc.) Still I'd have to go through relevant calcs to see which mons actually let the bull wake up from rest.
I think Rest is a nice lifeline that can let you have a good matchup vs paralyzed Chansey and kind of create an uncomfortable situation for your opponent in specific endgame scenarios. As for Stomp, yea thay moves bad ai wpuld honestly rather use Tail Whip to 1v1 paralyzed Starmie more reliably if you yourself are paralyzed.

I think Cloy is best used with ReflectLax as a midgame wallbreaker/cleaner, with Hyper Beam Rest is good but it leaves you struggling to break Chansey and paralyzed Starmie.

Thanks for the comments, appreciate having discussion about the topic. I'll address a couple of the main things here:

I think there is a potential misunderstanding with my wording here, maybe due to me not being perfectly fluent in English:

Previous tests have shown that the metagame doesn't drastically change with these moves

I meant this sentence literally. As in, it doesn't change drastically. I do acknowledge that it changes significantly.

And I don't agree with OHKO moves not having counterplay, I think they have significant counterplay. First of all, remember that they always fail if the opponent is faster. You can switch into a faster pokemon, make the opponent slower, use a substitute or just kill the opponent. OHKO moves also have immunities, Horn Drill to Gengar and Fissure to Flying pokemon.

Fly/Dig glitch makes things literally unkillable, and the Paralysis needed to trigger it isn't exactly uncommon. I shouldn't have to explain why something like an invincible Dragonite or Moltres could be a major problem. Making Aero marginally less worthless isn't a good trade.

Absolutely agreed, but that's not the route that we have to take. The Freeze clause / Sleep clause route exists and has been debated in the past, in other words not including the glitch in the implementation. But as I said, out of these three groups of moves, it's the one that I think has the best reasoning for being banned.
I think Cloy is best used with ReflectLax as a midgame wallbreaker/cleaner, with Hyper Beam Rest is good but it leaves you struggling to break Chansey and paralyzed Starmie.
What's hyper beam good for? Increasing the odds of clamping down a paralyzed chansey/starmie/slowbro/jynx?

It feels super situational, and at 75% accuracy, not even good. In most cases if you clamp down a paralyzed mon, the best move is usually pivoting though, clamp is just gen 1 u-turn.

When you compare it to Rest and Explosion, Hyper Beam just has no place.

Set is always Blizzard, Clamp, Rest and Explosion.

What is the general opinion of Jolteon among high level players? It seems to be hanging on to its OU ranking by a thread based on the submissions so far from qualified voters. I am not specifically asking about Jolteon in lead or in the back, or any specific Jolteon set, just Jolteon as a whole with its multitude of sets, positions, and viable eams.

What is the general opinion of Jolteon among high level players? It seems to be hanging on to its OU ranking by a thread based on the submissions so far from qualified voters. I am not specifically asking about Jolteon in lead or in the back, or any specific Jolteon set, just Jolteon as a whole with its multitude of sets, positions, and viable eams.
Players shy away from it because of consistency issues. Zapdos is more dangerous as a sweeper, and as an anti-lead Jolteon doesn't have access to Recover and Psychic (think about anti-leads: Alakazam and Starmie).
So, I think this is where the moveset talk (and lead versus back) becomes relevant: you need to find a reason to use it over something else. What can Jolteon do that other ones don't, or at least what can it do better?
I think the 4atk moveset can hurt all of Starmie, Exeggutor and Chansey early in the game and this is also why it looks like a lead to me.

Many years ago S4 were automatic inclusions to teams, and I started trying some S3 and exotic builds. Jolteon showed a high win rate when it was used in the lead position, and an unimpressive one when used in the back.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I think Jolt is being a little underrated right now. It is, generally, not as scary to face as Zapdos, but it definitely has uses.

But lets actually list out (some of) the downsides and upsides (relative to Zapdos).
Disadvantages:
- The quake weakness means its endgame matchups arent as good. Eg. Zapdos is only marginally unfavoured against Tauros in a 1v1 and typically at least cripples it, whereas Jolteon just loses quite badly. This has become particularly relevant lately when dealing with leerdon.
- It's special is lower. For instance, this means it needs crits to 3hko Lax. You might think, never mind it crits enough, but otoh, so does zapdos, which can 2hko with a crit, unlike Jolteon.
- Jolteon needs both pin missile and double-kick to get past Eggy and Chansey, whereas Zapdos does it just with drill peck.
- Drill peck is scarier for Jynx and Alakazam than anything Jolteon has.
- Zapdos is able to effectively carry agility, meaning it can still clean after it gets paralysed.
- Jolteon relies on double-kick to break Chansey which is counterable.
- Zapdos resists grass, and beats the snot out of Victreebel.
- Zapdos has better physical resistance, so, for instance, its less likely to get chipped into hyperbeam range.
- Zapdos is better at switching into Eggy.

Advantages:
- Jolteon is significantly favoured against enemy Zapdos, especially with rest.
- Jolteon is one of the few Pokemon that safely switches into Chansey.
- Without the Ice weakness, and with an electric resistance, Jolteon gets a lot more opportunities to switch in. It can much more safely just switch directly into any water type, whereas Zapdos usually has to be at least a little careful to avoid a blizzard.
- Jolteon can use rest to clear its paralysis more effectively. This also helps it switch in more easily, since it can usually clear its paralysis later in the battle anyway.
- Jolteon is the fastest Pokemon in every game it plays. It doesnt need to Agility to clean. Naturally outspeeding Starmie and Tauros is Huge.
- Jolteon has a higher crit rate.
- Provided the Chansey doesnt have counter, Jolteon is more heavily favoured into (ice beam) Chansey than Zapdos.
- Jolteon does a lot more damage to Rhydon.

So you just have to think about when these downsides dont matter and when the upsides do. You'll find lots of opportunity to use it over Zapdos.

Last edited:
The biggest thing to me is that most people are ranking Slowbro a couple spots below Jolteon. Unlike Jolteon, Slowbro's historically always been firmly in OU, so it would be wild to see it drop (mind you, I probably would've said the same about Lapras).

I believe the meta has never been more against Slowbro than it is right now; Thunderbolt Starmie is quite common, Seismic Toss on Chansey is being used probably more than any other attacking move (bar maybe Ice Beam, but even then its definitely close), and Zapdos and Rhydon smash it to pieces, with Slowbro teams being unavoidably weak to Zapdos (SlowDon and SlowJolt are awful). I almost forgot to mention that Exeggutor is being used on a vast majority of teams, which definitly does standard TWave Rest Slowbro no favors. Two of Slowbros worst matchups being on ~70% of teams is awful for it.

Last edited:
I believe the meta has never been more against Slowbro than it is right now; Thunderbolt Starmie is quite common, Seismic Toss on Chansey is being used probably more than any other attacking move (bar maybe Ice Beam, but even then its definitely close), and Zapdos and Rhydon smash it to pieces, with Slowbro teams being unavoidably weak to Zapdos (SlowDon and SlowJolt are awful). I almost forgot to mention that Exeggutor is being used on a vast majority of teams, which definitly does standard TWave Rest Slowbro no favors. Two of Slowbros worst matchups being on ~70% of teams is awful for it.
I agree with the overall idea: terrible time to bet on Slowbro and I ranked Jolteon higher indeed.
Add HB Snorlax, and Selfdestruct too. SToss Chansey actually is a good thing for Slowbro, Thunderbolt can take it down with a crit. Granted, Toss can put it in range more easily when it's +6 and that pairs well with Exeggutor and Snorlax's HB or Rhydon who just tries the 3HKO or spams Substitute brilliantly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)