RBY moves

First off, this is just discrepancies I found in the Smogon RBY movedex regarding move typing, accuracy, and effect. If nobody else does, I'll probably do something explaining in detail mechanics of specific moves (wrap, etc), but this is not meant to address that (yet).

Anything on this list marked with an asterisk indicates that I haven't verified it. Several other moves that I'm not completely sure on are Headbutt and Stomp for flinching ratio, if someone can check those for me that'd be great. Also, I might've missed a few, although I'm pretty sure I got all the major ones. But if you have anything to add, please do so.

Agility
Type: Psychic
Power: none
PP: 30
Accuracy: none
Description: Relaxes the body to sharply boost speed, negating previous effects of paralysis
Effect: none

Amnesia
PP: 20
Description: Forgets about something and sharply raises Special.

Bind
Type: Normal
Power: 15
Accuracy: 75%
Description: Hits foe for 2 to 5 turns during which the foe cannot attack

Bite
Power: 60
PP: 25
Accuracy: 100%
Description: Bites with vicious fangs. May cause flinching.
Effect: 10%

Blizzard
Type: Ice
Power: 120
PP: 5
Accuracy: 90%
Description: Hits the foe with an icy storm that may freeze it

Clamp
Type: Water
Power: 35
PP: 10
Description:
Effect: Hits foe for 2 to 5 turns during which the foe cannot attack

Counter
Type: Fighting
Description: Retaliates the latest hit with double the damage if it was Normal or Fighting type attack

Dig
Type: Ground
Power: 100
Description: Digs underground the first turn and strikes the next turn

Double-Edge
Power: 100
PP: 15
Description: A life-risking tackle that also hurts the user

Explosion
Power: 170
Description: Makes the user faint unless it breaks a Substitute and halves defense while calculating damage

Fire Blast
Type: Fire
Accuracy: 85%
Description: A fiery blast that scorches all. May cause a burn.
Effect: 30%

Fire Spin
Type: Fire
PP: 15
Accuracy: 70%
Description: Hits foe for 2-5 turns during which the foe cannot attack

Fissure
Type: Ground
Power: 5
Accuracy: 30%
Description: A one-hit KO move that has no effect on faster foes

Focus Energy
Description: Reduces critical-hit ratio by 75%

Growth
Type: Grass
PP: 40
Description: Forces the body to grow and heightens Special

Guillotine
Description: A one-hit KO attack that has no effect on faster foes

Gust
Power: 40
PP: 35
Description: Strikes the foe with a gust of wind whipped up by the wings

Haze
Type: Ice
Description: Removes all battle modifications other than Substitute and user's status ailments

Horn Drill
Description: A one-hit KO move that has no effect on faster foes

Hyper Beam
Power: 150
Description: Leaves the user immobile the next turn unless the foe is KO'd, it breaks a Substitute, hits a Ghost type, or misses.

Karate Chop
Power: 50
PP: 25
Description: A chopping attack with a high critical-hit ratio

Leech Seed
Description: Plants a seed on non-Grass type foes to steal 1/16 HP on every turn

Light Screen
Description: Creates a wall of light that lowers Special damage done to the user

Low Kick
Type: Fighting
Power: 50
Description: A kicking attack*

Mimic
Description: Copies one of the foes's moves at random until the user is switched out

Petal Dance
Power: 70
Description: A rampage of 3 to 4 turns that confuses the user.

Poison Sting
Type: Poison
Description: A toxic attack with barbs, etc., that may poison.
Effect: 20%

Psychic
Power: 90
Description: A powerful psychic attack that may lower Special
Effect: 30%*

Razor Wind
Power: 80
A 2-turn move that strikes the foe on the 2nd turn.

Reflect
Description: Creates a wall of light that weakness physical attacks striking the user

Roar
Description: Forces wild Pokemon to flee. Has no effect in trainer battles.

Rock Slide
Type: Rock
Power: 75
Description: Large boulders are hurled.

Selfdestruct
Power: 130
Description: Makes the user faint unless it breaks a Substitute and halves defense while calculating damage

Substitute
Description: Creates a decoy using 1/4 of the user's maximum HP that blocks Poison, stat loss, Confusion, Leech Seed, and secondary effects of damaging attacks

Thrash
Power: 90
Description: A rampage of 3 to 4 turns that confuses the user.

Thunder
Type: Electric
Accuracy: 70%
Description: A lightning attack that may cause paralysis

Toxic
Type: Poison
Description: Poisons the foe with a toxin that intensifies until the foe is switched out

Tri Attack
Power: 80
Description: Fires three types of beams at the same time.

Whirlwind
Description: Forces wild Pokemon to flee. Has no effect in trainer battles.

Wing Attack
Type: Flying
Power: 35
Description: Strikes the foe with wings spread wide

Wrap
Description: Hits foe for 2 to 5 turns during which the foe cannot attack

You could possibly mention that Hyper Beam also doesn't recharge when it breaks a substitute, and that Explosion/Selfdestruct doesn't cause the user to be KO'ed when it breaks a substitute... but yeah, just as with Counter you only mentioned the type but not about how it can work over multiple turns, it's difficult (for me at least) to decide where to draw the line, in the case of those brief descriptions. Hip's glitch guide should be revised and added, probably (or that "Oddness" section you mentioned in the other topic).

Some corrections to your corrections.

Agility: "negating previous effects of paralysis" is not necessary, since its game mechanics not a specific property of the move.

Explosion: technically the power is 170 and the defense gets halved. Same goes for Selfdestruct. Same thing happens in GSC so may as well do it here for consistency.

Focus Energy: this is the outdated description at AH. As seen in some discussion at their forums, it quarters rather than quadruples the probability of a CH.

Gust acc should be 100%.

As already noted, Horn Drill acc should be 30%.

Mimic should note that the move copied is random.

Rock Slide effect rate is 0.

Also,

The effect chance of Poison Sting should be 20.

Tri Attack should have no effects.

The flinch rate of Bite is 10%, I've checked it personally.

Petal Dance and Thrash last 3-4 turns.

For the description of Counter, you should say the retaliation is on damage rather than an attack, because of that annoying glitch.

Acc of Razor wind should be 75% (in RBY and GSC).

And on a slightly off-topic note, the description for Rage is correct for RBY and RSE where it works like that but not so in GSC. Perhaps something a little vaguer is necessary there like "Causes the user's rage to build each timeit is hit."

Pidgeot500 said:
You could possibly mention that Hyper Beam also doesn't recharge when it breaks a substitute, and that Explosion/Selfdestruct doesn't cause the user to be KO'ed when it breaks a substitute... but yeah, just as with Counter you only mentioned the type but not about how it can work over multiple turns, it's difficult (for me at least) to decide where to draw the line, in the case of those brief descriptions.
I put in all of those, including the no-penalty-on-sub under the moves that take advantage of this which seems right, but should it go under substitute?

Kamex said:
Agility: "negating previous effects of paralysis" is not necessary, since its game mechanics not a specific property of the move.
Agility is the only move that raises speed, so I felt that description to be appropriate for the same reason I listed all OHKO moves as not hitting faster foes. Since both of these instances, along with Substitute and a few others, are mentioned in Hip's glitches guide, I may just remove them altogether.

Explosion: technically the power is 170 and the defense gets halved. Same goes for Selfdestruct. Same thing happens in GSC so may as well do it here for consistency.
Since you'll still get the same number regardless of where you put your numbers, I don't see any need for this, and then you'd have to worry about complications of it only halving defense during the attack, because if you list it as just "halving defense" the implication is that it'll have the effect of screech as well, and it's harder to go further than that without being too wordy. Incidentally, NB lists the base powers as being 340 and 260.

Everything else I've added, thanks a bunch.

I added that substitute blocks poison, leech seed, and confusion, and that Leech seed doesn't hit other grass types, and that Hyper beam doesn't have to recharge if it hits a ghost or misses.

The wording of my description for Counter is really awkward. ;x

Kikuichimonji said:
The wording of my description for Counter is really awkward. ;x
Maybe just "double the damage" instead of "double the power".

Also, Kamex will explain about why you are incorrect with Explosion/Selfdestruct, most likely (so I will leave that to him)...

I changed Counter so that it's explicit that it's dependant on the type of the attack, rather than the opposing Pokemon, and replaced "power" with "damage," since it hits Ghosts in RBY.

...I just figured out the Explosion/Selfdestruct thing, which I guess is worth mentioning. (I hear a lot of people like to hack their Chansey to 1 defense these days.) However, I think it would be easier to just say that if it's used on an opponent with 1 defense its power will be halved, because if you just say it halves defense you'd have to explain that the game floors .5 to 0, but then bumps it up to 1.

Also, does Substitute block Burn?

Substitute blocks secondary effects, aye. (Kamex, just curious, but when an attack breaks a substitute, the secondary effect still can't happen right? I'm pretty much entirely certain it doesn't but for some reason this is just something I have wanted to clarify.)

You may as well note Selfdestruct and Explosion just for consistency, as the same thing (defense halving with 200 and 250) happens in GSC.

For Counter try "Retaliates the last Normal or Fighting attack with double its damage." This is more accurate because it can counter itself and thus not need to be hit to work...

Oh and maybe you should reword Haze a little since it only cures your ailments in Stadium. Maybe something like "Resets all battle modifications (other than substitutes and user's status ailments)." Since it also gest rid of Leech Seed, Reflect, etc.

Pidgeot500 said:
the secondary effect still can't happen right?
If you're in the GB yes.

Kamex said:
For Counter try "Retaliates the last Normal or Fighting attack with double its damage." This is more accurate because it can counter itself and thus not need to be hit to work...
That implies that it just checks for the last Normal/Fighting attack that hit, so if Tauros hit you with Body Slam, and then Earthquake, you could keep Countering that Body Slam because it was "the last Normal (or Fighting) attack," even though it wasn't the last attack to hit.

Everything I'm adding.

...Yeah, according to the Smogondex atm, Bide is listed at 100% for all 3 generations, when at least in RBY, it's "-" since it always hits in spite of being underground/airborne/ghost-type/evaded/accuracy-lowered, like Swift that doesn't care about types, so that's another RBY move implementation.

Edit: awesome chaos, when you do make sure you change RBY Bide's accuracy to - since Kikuichimonji didn't update that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)