VGC Rate My VGC 2022 Offensive Sun Team

Hey short intro, I've been playing VGC for a while and was wondering if there were some ways to make this team work a little better. So far it's been performing pretty well but I feel like it has a lot of common undesirable matchups, anyways anything would help!
Groudon

Groudon @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Drought
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 244 HP / 28 Atk / 4 Def / 132 SpD / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Protect
- Rock Slide
Okay, so the main guy on the team is Groudon, I have a pretty standard moveset on him with precipice for damage on most things, rock slide for flying types (specifically mons like Charizard and Ho-Oh), and then fire punch for grass types like Venusaur, Rillaboom, and Tsareena which it does great damage too especially with the sun boost. I wanted my Groudon set to be more bulky, especially because faster sets lack the necessary speed and bulk to check a lot of powerful and popular mons. Not gonna lie I made this team a while ago so I'm not certain what the certain calcs are behind this spread, but it gives him enough attack, bulk, and speed to be a useful mon in most games. His item is the weakness policy because in the current format there's a lot of mons with supereffective coverage for Groudon giving him an easy policy boost, allowing him to become an offensive powerhouse. His main roles are checking mons like Zacian, Zamazenta, and Regileki while also setting the sun and disrupting popular Kyogre rain teams.
Venusaur

Venusaur-Gmax @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 108 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Energy Ball
- Earth Power
Next up is this dude, basically just a fast and powerful offensive threat. Fast sleep powder cripples teams and and helps waste dynamax, the normal stab moves help to hit potent mons like Grimmsnarl and Kyogre. Earth power's there for damage against Zacian and Incineraor. Alongside this its a good resist against water moves which is super helpful for countering rain. The spread allows it to outspeed Calyrex Shadow under sun and to be able to hit as hard as possible with the maxed out SP ATK. The HP investment is there to help it live some more hits and stay on the field longer, however, this could easily be swapped for more speed especially with tailwind being so popular. Basically, this mon is just here to either sleep powder or dyanmax and deal insane amounts of damage.

Charizard

Charizard-Gmax @ Charcoal
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Dragon Pulse
- Hurricane
Straight up just here to nuke the opponent, heat wave is a bit strange here but I like it's ability to hit both targets and do a bunch of damage to them, also it's still an insanely strong g-max wildfire, protect is there cause obv helps stall out trick room and tailwind and stuff like that as well as the normal reasons for protect, I have dragon pulse for huge damage against the mainly dragon type restricteds which resist g-max wildfire, and then hurricane for a stronger max airstream. Hurricane does lose accuracy in sun but it's rarely clicked outside of gmax, also its fun for counter rain. Basically this thing just wants to come in, dynamax, and destroy the opponent with a combo of max airstream and g-man wildfire. Also I'm thinking of replacing charcoal with expert belt, but I'm not sure so lemme know.
Regieleki

Regieleki @ Focus Sash
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Electroweb
- Protect
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
Just here for speed control and damage on faster threats. As the fastest mon in the game its ability to pick off weakened threats and most importantly to electro-web faster mons like Zacian and slow them down enough for my other mons like Charizard to get a free KO. The utility that it offers is absolutely amazing and the speed control and just pure electric power that it has is super helpful for the team. The set is the usual one, and we all know how that works so I won't get into it here but it's just a great check for rain teams offering insane amounts of damage against them.
Incineroar

Incineroar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 12 Atk / 68 Def / 108 SpD / 84 Spe
Careful Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Parting Shot
- Fake Out
- Darkest Lariat
What's a VGC team without this guy? Obviously, he's here for intimidate and some good key resists to mons like Zacian and Calyrex-Ice (which is a horrible matchup for this team). Flare Blitz under sun hits super hard still, parting shot weakens the opponent's mons and is super useful for wasting or crippling a dynamaxed mon as well as switching out. Fake out is fake out, and lariat is here over protect to just destroy opposing calyrex-shadows. The EV's are pretty standard giving Incin great bulk and decent attacking stats, and the sitrus berry gives him some recovery. He's just here to disrupt opposing teams and kill frail mons.
Kyurem

Kyurem-White @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Fusion Flare
Okay last mon and the most recent addition to the team, I realized while playing that my team is insanely weak to opposing Landorus' so I knew that I needed a strong ice type on my team. Im running a regular ev spread on it with max special attack and max speed, but I gave it a choice scarf for surprise KO's on opposing mons and to give my team more reliable speed control. Freeze-Drys there for ice coverage as it hits water types which this team slightly struggles with and can deal lots of damage to Groudon's nemesis Kyogre, Draco's there just for pure power and STAB, shadow balls only there to once again get a surprise and easy KO on Calyrex Shadow and also does a bunch to trick room Mimikyu due to Turboblaze, it even kills non specially defensive ones, and sun boosted Fusion Flare annihilates steel types which this mon struggles to hit. It's main role is to just be a fast and strong ice type that resists water spout.

That's the end thank y'all for reading :)

Last edited:
I''d go Expert Belt. I'm a big fan of Regieleki, and on mine I run Electro Ball for slow mons. This'd help you vs. Caly-Ice which you mention is bad(idk that it is so much, but you do say it is.) It'd eb worth it, imo, to list ohkos that Enrgy Ball gets Giga Drain would not.

I'm not good w/ doubles, so all I can say.

Quick tips:
Give Groudon the Sitrus Berry item, give Incineroar a pinch berry (Groudon really appreciates the Sitrus Berry)
Leaf Storm over Energy Ball on Venusaur (more damage)
Change Charizard's item to Lum Berry (protects from Thunder Wave and Sleep Powder), Blast Burn over Dragon Pulse (highest damage output)
Give Kyurem-W the Safety Goggles, (for the sun mirror, also Focus Sash Amoonguss) Freeze-Dry or Blizzard / Fusion Flare / Earth Power / Protect should be the moveset (it needs Protect)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)