SV OU Rate My Team Centred Around Tyranitar Please

Hi all, been trying to make a team around ttar since dlc2 dropped and I think this is the one I'm happiest with but I'm still ending up in the limbo of 1400 +/- 100 elo. While a lot of that is bad play on my part, I wanted to see if the team itself at least stands up or if it's causing any unnecessary hardship.

:Tyranitar:

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

The centre of the team. Went with bulk rather than speed to take a few more hits before going down. The moveset feels fairly intuitive: options for both STABS, ice coverage for all the dragons and grounds in the tier, and low kick for any heavy dark types (occasionally snatch a greedy ddance RM). Tera ghost allows him to get the jump on anyone trying to exploit ttars fighting quad weakness.

:Primarina:

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Voice
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam
- Flip Turn

Primarina felt like a good start for the defensive core of the team, while still having a decent special attacking presence. Prim resists some of tyranitar's weaknesses in water and fighting, but can take neutral special hits very well too. The first three attacks are standard, similar to the justification for Ttar, and flip turn allows for some safe pivoting for other members of the squad. Tera steel is just solid defensive typing that also deals with weaknesses like poison and grass.

:Heatran:

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 248 HP / 144 SpD / 116 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earth Power
- Magma Storm

Heatran offers some really nice resistances which allow it to be a potent piece of the defensive core while not remaining passive. It is also nice that it doesn't take sandstorm damage, unlike some other team members. It has enough speed to outspeed jolly kingambit, but otherwise is set up to take any special attack that isn't supereffective. Magma storm allows it to trap some threats to other team members, while earth power is just really nice offensive coverage. Rocks seemed nice as nothing else on the team seems to be able to fit it in. Air balloon allows it to check, if not outright wall, more mons. Tera grass deals with the ground weakness should the balloon pop.

:Rillaboom:

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch
- U-turn

Tying up the fire-water-grass core is my favourite monkey, and he does what he always does. He sets up grassy terrain which helps heatran NOT immediately die to EQ if the balloon pops and it provides passive recovery for most of the team. He clicks grassy glide and either cleans up weakened teams, revenge kills were appropriate, or just deals massive chip damage. The speed lets him outspeed jolly kingambit and ohko with drain punch, but otherwise he's built to get as many opportunities as possible to deal big damage. Wood hammer is mostly for hitting hard on the switch, and u-turn for obvious pivoting reasons. Tera grass grassy glides go brrr, as the cool kids say.

:Enamorus:

Enamorus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Tera Blast
- Mystical Fire

I felt some immediate, speedy special attacking power was needed. Specs Enamorous just deals so much damage that it doesn't need to tera 90% of the time, and I generally feel that the extra speed has more benefit over the extra power from modest. When it gets the chance to tera however, tera blast can just run away with the game once opposing speed control is gone. Moonblast is the solid STAB option whereas EP and mystical fire are just solid options against any steel type that tries to call itself a check.

:Excadrill:

Excadrill @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sand Rush
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance
- High Horsepower
- Iron Head

This guy was never going to be left out on a team with tyranitar. It's far too fast under sand, it offers hazard removal, it can punch massive holes in teams with a single SD. Boots allows it to clear hazards safely, iron head and HH are just good STAB attacks. HH is used in case Excadrill is ever out under Rillaboom's grassy terrain.
Tera dragon was mostly just to cover it's weaknesses to fire, water, and resist incoming grass moves but it honestly doesn't terastallize much

Last edited:

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
Moveset changes:

Psychic Noise > Hyper Voice on :primarina:: Psychic Noise provides more value that Hyper Voice does, being able to prevent mons from healing.

Smooth ROck Tyranitar as a lead will make sand stay up longer, for 8 turns.

I guess you can go v T-Tar to put in DEF investment to go even more bulky as an option, along with smooth stone for it to have more longevity throughout a match.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)