Gen 3 Rate my non bog-standard team

Venusaur (Rumsfeld)
Razor Leaf
Sleep Powder
Body Slam
Swords Dance

Fastest sleep starter that learns Sleep Powder, Jynx has less defenses than an envelope, I can't stand Hypnosis or Sing's accuracy. Eggy is far too standard for me, and since both Venusaur and Victrebeel reach 999 after the same amount of Swords Dances, I choose Venusaur for better EQ durability and speed. Has a 74.6% chance of gaining the upper hand against Eggy, which is pretty acceptable to me. Gengar can't do much against me unless it has Psychic (which is rare, correct?), and Jynx also hurts Eggy bad, so this seems good enough to me. Also kills Starmie/Slowbro, vital for Tobybro, as well as Rhydon/Golem, vital for Jolt.

Jolteon (Gets The Armpits)
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Pin Missile
Body Slam

Zapdos is too bog-standard for me, and this thing is VERY fun. Body Slam is best for Chansey and grounds on the switch in, MAYBE Zam (Tbolt may do more, though)

Snorlax (Rush Limbaugh)
Body Slam
EQ
Selfdestruct
HB

Yay. Since I won't use Tauros, Snorlax rolls to the plate, and since nothing can flat-out counter him, I like him. EQ because my team seems to be more weak to 'Gar than Golem/Rhydon, and besides EQ handles Ground/Rock better than Surf handles 'Gar.

Slowbro (MartinBro)
Psychic
Thunder Wave
Rest
Amnesia

This is what I'm building this team around. Psychic seems to work better for me with its special drop, since I plan to blow up something or use Lax against Starmie and Alakazam, Psychic kills the Paralyzed Razor Leafers, and just seems to be more unpredictable.

Golem (Valkaan)
EQ
RS
Explosion
Body Slam

Works well with Snorlax to guarantee KO (with detonation) against two Pokemon, seems to help Bro more than Rhydon does. Normal resist and TWave sponge, too.

Alakazam (Henry Flagler)
Psychic
Reflect
Recover
TWave

I don't know if I want Seismic Toss or Reflect, I'm leaning towards Reflect because I need a Tauros counter, and with Reflect, it should work fine. Bog Standard I know, but still coolest Poke ever IMO.

Two BLs against a standard team, this should be enjoyable and refreshing from standard battles. Three intellectual inputs would be very nice. Thank you.

About 999 Special Psychic from Slowbro:

58-68% on Alakazam
48-56% on Slowbro
54-63% on Exeggutor
45-53% on Chansey
91-100% on Zapdos
56-65% on Starmie

Versus Surf, that is:
Guaranteed OHKO on Alakazam
50-59% on Slowbro (guaranteed 2HKO)
57-67% on Exeggutor
47-56% on Chansey (higher chance for 2HKO)
96-100% on Zapdos (higher chance for OHKO)
59-69% on Starmie

I know you said you would be blowing up against these, but wouldn't you rather just take the easy option? You see, Surf from 999 Special does as much to Venusaur as it does to Chansey (47-56%) and Venusaur has no reliable recovery. Gengar is guaranteed to be OHKOed by Surf as well. Psychic may be more unpredictable and help against a few threatening but uncommon counters, but there's a good reason Surf is used.

Psychic on Gengar isn't that rare by the way, but I wouldn't mind it. The standard seems to be Hypnosis, Thunderbolt, Explosion, Confuse Ray. I don't like Psychic on it myself, it is a rather clumsy attacking type with everyone's team being half Psychic and its base power is lower than Thunderbolt. I guess it hurts Grounds though, albeit not more than Mega Drain unless you're fighting Sandslash or Nidoking or something.

Ok, I was completely naive about my assesment of Tobybro, because I just thought that 7.5 extra damage points wouldn't be significant. I forgot to use my type matchups and analysis of what appears in standard, thank you for reminding me mekkah.

Alakazam is a serious questioning spot for me, I can't decide if I want S-Toss or reflect. Reflect Zam looks like it can be PP wasted easily on this team.

So does anyone happen to have any suggestions that would make this team superior (in a way that would not be bog standard) or even more offbeat?

Reflect Zam doesn't make a reliable counter for tauros unless you get a turn to set it up.

also mekkah, doesn't surf and psychic have the same base power? or does psychic only get 90?

While Snorlax hit's hard, you don't have a fast reliable physical sweeper to finish things off (Jolteon doesn't hit hard enough to count). If you don't want to use Tauros then Persian is the obvious option. Dugtrio is always a fun to give a try too. If you're nor afraid of Golem/Rhydon you could even try Dodrio out.

While Snorlax hit's hard, you don't have a fast reliable physical sweeper to finish things off (Jolteon doesn't hit hard enough to count). If you don't want to use Tauros then Persian is the obvious option. Dugtrio is always a fun to give a try too. If you're nor afraid of Golem/Rhydon you could even try Dodrio out.
Alakazam has 368 Special and a stabbed Psychic. Jolteon has 318 Special and a stabbed Thunderbolt. On the other hand, Persian isn't as fast and has 238 attack.

Alakazam has 368 Special and a stabbed Psychic. Jolteon has 318 Special and a stabbed Thunderbolt. On the other hand, Persian isn't as fast and has 238 attack.
Jolteon will be the only way to finish off an eggy or starmie. Him vs zam will depend a lot on FP's but zam seems to win this battle more often. Still won't touch chansey even with body slam.

A non-paralyzed snorlax is great at finishing off paralyzed starmies/zam, but from my experience I don't think I go a match without snorlax getting paralyzed. Seems he might lose some usefullness from not switching into something like a predicted zam t-wave.

While looking at it again, you only have one SE move vs eggy and while pin missile does very well, it's not really fun switching in jolt to a psychic then trading a pin missile for a stun spore/explosion. No one will leave eggy into die to a pin missile before he explodes, especially if they have a golem/rhydon on hand. I really think he could cause some problems against your team. Besides Jolteon it'll be hard to counter starmie as well. Snorlax blowing up will be the best option. For each of these reason's I think you really need a starmie on this team instead of an alakazam.

Also props on putting two BL's in. Usually I construct teams under the same method of atleast having 2 BL's on there to spice it up.

Yeah, sorry about that, I just realised you said physical sweeper, i misread it as just sweeper. But yeah, you're right, Eggy and Chansey will definitely be a problem, especially if Snorlax goes down. If lax goes down, you have two pokemon left with reliable physical attacks, Golem and Venusaur. (With a SD.) Both these can't switch into Chansey Ice Beams and Alakazam Psychics. Jolteon and Venusaur should be good enough cover for Starmie though, considering most standard teams don't have much more than that.

OK, first of all, I'd like to thank gdpt, minnow, and Pursuit for your time and consideration. I like to put two BLs on my team as well! As far as fast physical sweepers, I want to be one of the teams that has no Tauros, since those teams seem to be everywhere. I love Duggy when looking at BL teams; unfortunately I need a normal resist. Dodrio looks nice, but after a revamp of my team, it will seem pointless. I also noticed I have NO ice moves; this seems very bad.

First of all, I think I'm going to toss Jolteon. That speed and Tbolt power is something to marvel at, but unfortunately that seems to be all he's good for, except on Stadium where he gets Focus Energy, and this is for Netbattle. Zapdos, despite what I previously said about it, looks FUN, and my other 5 Pokemon will easily take Rhydon/Golem, so I will use Tbolt/Twave/Drill Peck/Light Screen (IMO best filler, Rock is only seen on Rhydon/Golem, and handling the Ice weakness means that I can sweep even more).

Alakazam is looking very redundant, and doesn't exactly help out Zapdos or Slowbro (other than PAR). Despite earlier advice about a Starmie, I really don't want half my team annihilated by a Venusaur/Victreebel Razor Leaf, and Starmie and Slowbro are countered and good against the same Pokemon. The other problem, however, is that PAR support is very lacking on this team, and I still need to counter Eggy/Tauros/Snorlax. So, I will put Articuno over Zam, so I still have two BLs, and as a bonus, Zam is far more common than Zapdos, so my team is even more offbeat. I picked Ice Beam/Reflect/Blizzard/Rest, which kills all the Pokemon that were listed as problems for my team (Eggy/Tauros), beats non Tbolt Chansey as a bonus (and if lucky can kill Tbolt Chansey by freeze), since it can't be frozen.

So, my team:

Venusaur
Razor Leaf
Sleep Powder
Body Slam
Swords Dance

Zapdos
Tbolt
Twave
Drill Peck
Light Screen

Slowbro
Surf
Amnesia
TWave
Rest

Golem
EQ
RS
Explosion
BS

Snorlax
BS
EQ
SD
HB

Articuno
Ice Beam
Reflect
Rest
Blizzard

The main thing I'm worrying about is that Slowbro may be dead weight, since it lacks guaranteed PAR support. But Eggy and Tauros are now easily countered (Aricuno for both, Zapdos for Eggy and sometimes Tauros); Persian should die to the birds, Snorlax, and Slowbro; Zam is dealt with by Lax, the Birds somewhat; Rhydon/Golem die to everything except Zapdos and maybe Snorlax (Golem can kill Rhydon in a pinch); Slowbro gets screwed by Venusaur and Zapdos somewhat; standard Gengar dies to Golem, Venusaur can disable non-Psychic ones, Zapdos and possibly Articuno will take it, while Snorlax just kills them all; Chansey looks to be the toughest to counter but Articuno has a chance against Tbolt Chanseys and wins against non Tbolt ones, Zapdos kills it if it won't be frozen, Venusaur has a pretty good chance if it can be set up, Golem kills it if paralyzed, Snorlax has a good chance; Starmie dies to Venusaur and Zapdos; Jynx dies to everything except Venusaur and Articuno (Golem kills it if Jynx is PAR); Tauros is owned by Articuno and Zapdos can take it; Lapras gets owned by Venusaur, Zapdos also kills it, and if PAR, Golem might take it, Snorlax does alright; Snorlax gets owned by Articuno and somewhat Zapdos; Zapdos dies to Golem and possibly Articuno; Dragonite would do OK against this team since Zapdos and Venusaur are the only thing that are faster than it, but Articuno should own it most of the time. Golem makes switching into a lot of things a lot easier.

OK, someone correct me on my bad analysis.

Please get the hang of RBY before posting advice, especially with that tone. Pin Missile is Jolteon's trumph card over other Electrics (besides its Speed), it hits 4x effective on Exeggutor, Venusaur, Victreebel and any other Grass/Poisons allowing it to actually do :damage:. It probably doesn't do enough to Alakazam or Chansey to warrant it useful, but Exeggutor alone is reason enough to use it.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
i like the double kick/pin missile combo. since jolteon has ridiculous speed, he has about a 28% chance of crit-ing. that's better than a 1/4 chance. those two moves together give it great coverage on switch-ins to things like rhydon, golem, eggy, venusaur, etc. jolteon is essentially a hit-and-run clean up pokemon. you NEVER want to let it get paralyzed unless you have NO other choice. it's like persian. once it is paralyzed, it's game over.

The team's looking good. Mad props for using Articuno, it's severely underrated and puts a huge dent in most standard teams. Oh yeah, and The Beatles rock.

Mad props for arti as well. Nothing enjoys switching in on STAB blizzards with his special and the chance of being frozen. Personally I think he's easily the best mimic user in the game and prefer that over the tankish set but each their own. Getting t-bolt/t-wave/recover/softboiled the the obvious chansey/starmie switches makes him incredibly annoying to take down.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I actually think minnow's advice for a Mimic Articuno is a good one...believe it or not, the only thing that can really switch into Lapras is Articuno (Golem, Zapdos, and Venusaur are all weak to it, and Snorlax aint got marvelous special in rby either). BUt what use is Articuno if it can't hurt Lapras? I'd take off Blizzard or Ice Beam (power or pp is the issue) for Mimic T-bolt / Thunder / Sing / C-Ray / Body Slam.

Light Screen Zapdos also sounds really sweet, since sp def is somewhat lacking in your team (the same can't be said for physical defense, as your team is pretty damn bulky), but it may not work as well without Rest. It can work, though. Another option would be Agility, which allows Zapdos to be faster than any pokemon, even after it gets paralyzed. SPeed is essential for sweeping, and Agility gives it jsut that. You may want to consider this over Light Screen to enhance its sweeping capabilities. You prolly know this, but LS only affects Zapdos and vanishes as it switches out...so it boils down to whether you want the extra defense or speed.

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
okay, I absolutely love you for using Arti. Also, I would keep the arti as it is. With a reflect up, its a monster to take down and it packs a huge special. Tobybro in my opinion is a very variable thing. One ch from a starmie and it goes down, and we all know how the ch's come in rby.

Just try it out on NB and see how it goes, if Tobybro is turning out to fail more than work, consider swapping it with something which can wreck more havoc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)