Monotype Rate my Gen 9 Monotype Ice Team!

Thanks for all the help on my other question! I wanted to get into Monotype and I chose Ice because I wanted an excuse to use Loaded Dice Baxcaliber. Here’s the team!

(2023@ all nicknames are property of Anchor9. No copying. All Rights Reserved)

The Gambler (Baxcalibur) (M) @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Thermal Exchange
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Scale Shot
- Icicle Spear
- Brick Break

Why did Baxcaliber always win? Cause he had a Loaded Dice(Background laughter). Seriously, I can just Dragon Dance and Scale Shot my way to victory. Icicle Spear is the other STAB Loaded Dice makes OP. Brick Break can remove screens and covers against Steel types.

Ice Queen (Ninetales-Alola) (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind

Aurora Veil. Then she either swaps out to allow another teammate sweep, or sweeps herself with Calm Mind Blizzard-Moonblast destruction.

Chubby Dude (Mamoswine) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Haze
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Snowscape

Mamoswine here can stop setup, set hazards, and set snow. E-Quake is STAB. Mamoswine acts as a useful defense Pokémon to swap in and hold the icy fort. His ultimate chub can hold off Fire types.

Frozen Sonic (Sandslash-Alola) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Slush Rush
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance
- Ice Spinner
- Iron Head

In snow, Sandslash-A really is Sonic with a cold personality. Rapid Spin clears hazards and raises speed. Swords Dance makes Sandslash a deadly sweeper. Other moves are STAB.

Smile (Cloyster) @ Leftovers
Ability: Skill Link
Tera Type: Water
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Spikes
- Liquidation

Hi(creepy smile), meet Cloyster, my split experiment of more attack and a needed defensive mon. Not sure about EV spread. Any ideas? Spikes sets up hazards. If I’m in a really good position, I can Shell Smash and make my seemingly innocent smiling defensive mon into something that finishes the game.

Yooooooo (Chien-Pao) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sword of Ruin
Tera Type: Dark
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Ice Shard
- Ice Spinner

I got wrecked by something similar so I chose to use it. Sweeper of death and destruction. Swords Dance to setup. Sacred Sword to be super sacred as I ignore Iron Defenses. Ice Shard is priority. Ice Spinner is Ice STAB.

I don’t know the Monotype Metagame extremely well, so all help is appreciated. How is my first Monotype team?

Dead by Daylight

GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL. DO NOT PASS GO.
is a Contributor to Smogon
Hey there, welcome to Monotype. You have most of the mons needed to make a good Ice team, but your sets are rather wonky at the moment. No worries - happens to everyone in a new meta. Here's some of the changes I'll make to the team.

:baxcalibur:
The Gambler (Baxcalibur) (M) @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Thermal Exchange
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance --> Swords Dance
- Scale Shot
- Icicle Spear
- Brick Break --> Earthquake

Earthquake lets you hit Steel types much harder than with Brick Break, while also being able to get past Gholdengo. Not only that, but it also helps mightily in the Poison matchup, which was somewhat of a struggle for Ice prior to this generation. Additionally, Swords Dance over Dragon Dance helps you break through bulkier types like Water and Poison, as well as have the same sweeping potential as Scale Shot boosts your speed.

:ninetales-alola:

Ice Queen (Ninetales-Alola) (F) @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind --> Encore

Encore lets your setup sweepers get into the field far easier, as it locks foes into moves that you can take advantage of. Calm Mind isn't very useful on a mon whose job it is to get your other Pokemon ready for a sweep.

For Mamoswine and Cloyster, I would recommend going for the sample sets that are linked on the teambuilder (click Import/Export, and the sample sets should pop up at the bottom). Your Alolan Sandslash and Chien-Pao sets look good, although I would recommend Icicle Crash for both. That's all that I have for the team, however, and for a first try, this isn't half bad. Hope to see you as one of the next rising Monotype stars.

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey! I'd like to propose some additional changes alongside what DbD has already suggested.

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Your Mamoswine set is outclassed by Piloswine defensively due to Eviolite and it still loses to Fire-types like Volcarona and Moltres without Rock Slide. The 12 Atk EVs ensure an OHKO on offensive Volcarona.

Sandslash-Alola @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance Earthquake
- Ice Spinner Knock Off
- Iron Head

Sandslash is way too slow without maximum investment, especially if it's aiming to pull off last minute hazard removal attempts. Ice-type coverage is also not really necessary and prioritizing coverage in Earthquake and Knock Off over setup allows it to clean up late-game more efficiently as you already have a good number of wallbreakers.

Cloyster @ Leftovers White Herb
Adamant Jolly / Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Spikes Rock Blast
- Liquidation / Hydro Pump

Cloyster wants to retain as much bulk as possible to prevent shutdown attempts as you won't always have the aid of screens or snow available, so White Herb ensures you are on the field as long as possible. I don't think Jolly/Naive are super vital, however, it's already quite slow and doesn't outpace base 110s after a Shell Smash without it. Considering the heavy lean to physical attackers on this team, Hydro Pump can allow for an easier time breaking physical walls for the other teammates (You should also consider Frosmoth). Due to Cloyster's primary role as an anti-Fire Pokemon, Rock Blast is naturally going to be a huge help, especially against sun teams.

Chien-Pao @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Ice Shard / Psychic Fangs
- Ice Spinner Crunch / Sucker Punch

Chien-Pao's Dark-type coverage is vital against foes like Ceruledge or Gholdengo and considering it's an Ice team, there is an abundance of Ice-type moves. Psychic Fangs helps in the Fighting matchup but Ice Shard is perfectly fine as it is.

Based on some more advice, I’m adjusting Mamoswine- - - > Avalugg.
Avalugg @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Body
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Rapid Spin
- Body Press
- Recover

Sandslash- - - > Frosmoth
Frosmoth @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Scales
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

And maybe giving Chien-Pao Choice Band so I can use Icicle Crash, Psychic Fangs, Sacred Sword, and Sucker Punch. Thoughts?

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Based on some more advice, I’m adjusting Mamoswine- - - > Avalugg.
Avalugg @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Rapid Spin
- Body Press
- Recover

Sandslash- - - > Frosmoth
Frosmoth @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Scales
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

And maybe giving Chien-Pao Choice Band so I can use Icicle Crash, Psychic Fangs, Sacred Sword, and Sucker Punch. Thoughts?
Piloswine/Mamoswine are pretty essential in my opinion, you'd use Avalugg over Sandslash if ever and Frosmoth over Cloyster.

Here's mine and it works well. In my opinion.
Baxcalibur @ Loaded Dice
Tera Type: Dragon
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Scale Shot
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake

Ninetales-Alola @ Icy Rock
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard
- Moonblast
- Freeze-Dry

Chien-Pao @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Ice Spinner
- Crunch
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

Cloyster @ White Herb
Tera Type: Water
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell

Cetitan @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 172 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Belly Drum
- Earthquake
- Ice Spinner
- Rest

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Spinner
- Fake Out
- Knock Off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)