R.I.P. Leads and Scouting

An interesting effect. Seems you'll have to carry multiple pokes that could presumably lead. I'd have to play to make an educated opinion, though.

That reminds me of a story I heard once. It was about a guy who didn't like green eggs and ham. He wouldn't eat them on a train, he wouldn't eat them on a plane, he didn't like them here or there, he didn't like them anywhere. Then, finally, his friend got him to try some and
it turned out he did like green eggs and ham!
Well played sir, you have won an internet.

I say people here are just jumping to conclusions without really experiencing this new type of gameplay. Before you go off and saying "Ruined FOREVER!" (Which might be a bit late at this point) at least give it a chance. Who knows, you may grow accustomed to it, and prefer this style of battle instead of the "I know that you know that I know" style of gameplay we have now.

*sees that team* *looks at my team, then looks at my fast U-Turn-using pokemon and is planning to use it first since the opponent's team is very weird and typical.

U-turn will get to counter whatever your lead pokemon is, by switching in the best counter for it.

Any more ideas from looking at this team?
This is before Scizor got Bullet Punch, but hey, keep giving vague answers!

Are they REALLY taking all of the strategy out of this game with this + Shanderaa?
This actually works against Shanderaa, because if you know your opponent has one you'll be more careful about what you do. Whereas if you didn't, Shanderaa could creep up at a random moment and eliminate a vital Pokemon.

General Spoon said:
Well I suppose it might be difficult if you're a crap player.
Shanderaa
Sazandora
Salamence
Zoroark
Jirachi
Gengar

6 Pokemon that came to mind. I have movesets + items in mind for them all. Pretend that was the information given to you; can you predict everything else?

An interesting effect. Seems you'll have to carry multiple pokes that could presumably lead. I'd have to play to make an educated opinion, though.
Huh, good idea, or like at least trick them in wondering which is your lead, like have multiple pokes that look like they can lead.

It's interesting because like, let's say your lead looks weak to most poke on their team, you'd have to have a solid lead or a lead that can do well not leading out, lol. (obviously it means he isn't your lead, just if he meant to be, you have to ask can he switch in and perform his tasks still)

Nice signature by the way. I like that quote.

Volt charge Specs Jolteon would scout that team except if the opponent is a smart ass and decides to troll me by switching in Garchomp and get me locked onto Specs Volt charge.

Aiming mark Jolteon, just to be safe and to scout!

Or that... Argiuon (Bug type pokemon) could use U-turn to scout!

Sure U Turn / Volt Charge still work... but the scouting element of the moves is diminished because you know what pokes the other guy is packing and therefore should know the response. U Turn / Volt Charge will still be useful for maintaining momentum though.

Had to unlurk just to post in this thread; I honestly can not see how people would advocate this change. It's fine when you have 6 pokemon registered and can only use 3 or 4, but this is not how games on, shoddy for example, work.

Pokemon teams, cookie cutter and "gimick" work because of teamwork. I won a decent amount of battles with my ice-team because nobody knew I was working an ice team until I had already set up. Likewise, I had to make my decisions based on what his team seemed to be. When someone managed to hide his heatran from me until after my counter to it had died I got steamrolled. This makes some teams completely useless and makes other teams obvious.

You can say that this adds more to the game, more predictions; but for everything it gives it takes away something. If I only knew 3 of my opponents then I had to make my decisions based on what I knew he had and what I think he has. When I find out more of his pokemon it makes it easier to figure out what's going on and form proper counters. If I know all his pokemon right from the start it takes out all the fun. I'd know that once I took out his only pokemon strong against fire that I wouldn't have to worry about anything else switching in against a fire move.

In no pokemon game should you be able to form a strategy against a specific team before you even fight it for the first time. Less guesswork and more skill now? You've got to be kidding me. Figuring out what other pokemon your opponent most likely has based off what you know about his team so far is skill. If he has a scizor on his team you bet your ass he most likely has a fire counter on his team.

Sure U Turn / Volt Charge still work... but the scouting element of the moves is diminished because you know what pokes the other guy is packing and therefore should know the response. U Turn / Volt Charge will still be useful for maintaining momentum though.
Plus racking up free damage.

Basis would include other pokemon games that have implemented this, IE all the console ones IIRC.
It's not exactly the same as the same as the console versions since you don't use a full 6 Pokemon team in those. In PBR, you're picking more than your lead; you also have to decide which Pokemon to exclude in your 3 or 4 Pokemon team.

Out of this, the only one I would assume to be standard is Gyarados. Garcomp can be two diff things to me, Blissey can be many different types, every one of them.

The only one I'd be confident in knowing is Gyara is DDbulkyGyara. They will see your team, and now you strategize accordingly.
Just because Gyara is listed first does not mean it's the lead so if that's your reasoning for that deduction...

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
This is quite bad for the metagame, because now that you look at it, there's no point in having a "lead" So you just run a bunch of bulky attackers and you can put whatever the other team is most weak to as your lead. This ruins the lead metagame

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just want to mention that while Wifi is effected by this, the simulator MIGHT be spared. I tested an IR battle between Black and White, and it doesnt actually show teams! HOWEVER, it does have a few quirks. There doesnt seem to be any kind of clauses, and all Pokemon are leveled up / down to 50. I'll test a regular link battle later to see how that works.

It's not exactly the same as the same as the console versions since you don't use a full 6 Pokemon team in those. In PBR, you're picking more than your lead; you also have to decide which Pokemon to exclude in your 3 or 4 Pokemon team.

Just because Gyara is listed first does not mean it's the lead so if that's your reasoning for that deduction...
Do you see anywhere there in my post stating I think Gyara is a lead? I said it's the only one I can predict via moveset. Pay attention please.

@baldo: ya, because the repetitive Aero/Azelf/Roserade leads are soooo unpredictable. If anything it opens up more possibities. But to each his own I suppose.

Hey, thanks for putting some fucking words in my mouth there. I don't recall saying I was a good player. And besides, the fucking METAGAME is in its fucking infancy.
You didn't say you had to be a great player, you said it would be difficult if you were a crap player. From that we can assume a decent player could manage to get a few correct guesses, right?

And I know what stage the metagame is in, thanks. Which is why we shouldn't let our Gen IV ideas effect our opinions on this one. Did you cry when Special was split in G/S? Did you cry about the physical/special move split in D/P? Like I said before, this is Generation V. Not the IV extended version.

I just want to mention that while Wifi is effected by this, the simulator MIGHT be spared. I tested an IR battle between Black and White, and it doesnt actually show teams! HOWEVER, it does have a few quirks. There doesnt seem to be any kind clauses, and all Pokemon are leveled up / down to 50. I'll test a regular link battle later to see how that works.
Wait does this mean we can't make clauses?

Excellent point. Though I'm not going to flip out like some crazy about this, I will say that I am sticking to my guns. I'll keep my mouth shut til some other good posters weigh in.

This is quite bad for the metagame, because now that you look at it, there's no point in having a "lead" So you just run a bunch of bulky attackers and you can put whatever the other team is most weak to as your lead. This ruins the lead metagame
you say that as if the lead metagame was a good thing.

Well crap. I don't like this change much. Oh well, I'll just have to roll out with a fast u-turn user with encore/taunt that I'll probably always toss in the lead position.

Okay, my mistake. What exactly led to your deduction of a bulky DD set and not an offensive DD set?
See? You're EXACTLY right. That's the point I was tryin to make to those who believe looking at a team means you know their set.

You don't. Assuming a bulky Gyara could surprise you still, even with knowing their team. But ya I was just sayin out of the six pokemon he showed, only one I could assume is the Gyara, but you just never know.

I think that this change will greatly improve the VGC, which is probably the only "competitive" pokemon that TPCi and GF even care about.

That is all.

"Which style of team setup would you prefer?"

And you'd choose:

"CHRONOLOGICAL / STANDARD MODE"
OR
"SELECTION / 'STADIUM' MODE"

Voila, a crucial argument could've been fixed by Game Freak, via adding code, in about 30 minutes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)