Putting Competitive Pokemon in College Application?...

Haha my sister and some friends told me I should put down competitive pokemon into my common app, since it is something that I spent some time on, and am somewhat "good" at. On one hand, it is definitely quite amusing and could give admission officers a good laugh. Theoretically, I could twist my decent ladder result into something funny like "ranked 15th internationally in competitive pokemon).

On the other hand...it is pokemon. It could be seen as a waste of time. Or I could seem like an extreme asian nerd (which I suppose I am).

Here are some other things I do:

Violin (good at it, but screams asian)
math team (oh boy)
physics team (^^^)
800 math on SAT, SAT II

So that is the ridiculously asian nerd side of me. But also:

Tennis
Track
Class Vice President

So...what do you guys think?...

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Heh, to be honest it depends on who is going to read the application. Some people will think it's cool you have a hobby you're committed too and some will read it as you wasting your time hours a day on a stupid game.

Frankly though, if you can't get in where you are applying with near perfect scores; your collection of clubs; and two sports - listing Pokemon isn't going to help.

depending on the major you wish to apply for, and if you are including an essay on it, it might not be that bad of something to add. if you are doing a business major (using multiple peices of information to form a gain-loss analysis) or statistics (no explanation needed) it might be something you can include (so long as you are given the chance and are able to explain it).

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm pretty sure the admissions officers are not going to be reading your application, see these things, and go, "Man, what a fucking Asian! Rejected!".

First of all don't call yourself a nerd. I mean you're the class vice president and everyone knows nerds aren't popular.

Now to the real deal. I think that you should include it in your application. Even if it is pokemon, it is a strategy game and success in it means that you are good at strategical thinking which is always a plus. That's the same reason I included chess in my application.

I 'lol' at this, because I did something similar to this several years ago. While applying for my first job (just part-time positions in my area while I started college), I was ranked 2nd in my state in Yu-gi-oh! So on my application, under hobbies, I put down "State Yu-gi-oh runner-up." Got a call for a job a week later, so it didn't hurt me a bit.

So I would say go for it, but I do agree with you that you gotta word it to sound professional like "Globaly Ranked Top 15 in Pokemon."

Please, if you do follow Bran's advice... try not to misspell "globally."

In all seriousness, I would not list it. As was previously mentioned, if your other extracurriculars and test scores aren't enough to get you where you are going, then adding Pokémon to the equation will not turn the tide. It can certainly tip the scales against you, however, if the admissions officer is on the fence.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Adding Pokemon seems to have relatively low pay-off compared to high risk. I'd leave it out. The people reading this are likely not to be the most open-minded and understanding of how video games work. They're from a time before games were mainstream.

However, I've never had to write a college application essay so I don't know for sure.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would not include it. I can see too many people reading that and going "man, this guy wastes his time playing a kids' game instead of doing something productive? Minus points."

This is an utterly terrible idea. Saying that you play a children's game obsessively may be more unique than something like playing the violin, but one leaves an impression of being refined and elegant, whereas the other leaves an impression of being a man-child.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing completely with what CaptKirby says. Although it does take quite a bit of intellevct to be a good battler, unless your admissions officers actually play, it'll just look ridiculous.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Screams asian.

Unless you've been in some random nationals for Pokemon (or internationals for that matter) and you're planning ot go into computer software stuff/engineering, I wouldn't bother.

Getting 800 on SAT I and SAT II math isn't the greatest deal. How's your english like? (full score on SATs?)

College Essay is important. Very important. Spend hours on this baby.

And you haven't told us where you're applying. If you're applying to your local state university, hell yes you'd get in. Harvard, Stanford, Yale, that's a crapshoot. The smartest guy in our school, with 45 in his predicted IB score, 2370 SATs, perfect SAT IIs, President of every club possible, leader of some bullshit "club against drunk drivers" or something like that, and who teachers rave as the best student they've ever taught in years got waitlisted in Harvard (made all hte other Ivies though). Just a heads up.

Also, with all the shit video games are getting (kids shooting in schools cause of CS, and other FPSes, kid accidently killing themselves in Korea through Starcraft), that might leave a bad impression. Wait scratch that. It WILL leave a bad impression

Screams asian.

Unless you've been in some random nationals for Pokemon (or internationals for that matter) and you're planning ot go into computer software stuff/engineering, I wouldn't bother.

Getting 800 on SAT I and SAT II math isn't the greatest deal. How's your english like? (full score on SATs?)

College Essay is important. Very important. Spend hours on this baby.

And you haven't told us where you're applying. If you're applying to your local state university, hell yes you'd get in. Harvard, Stanford, Yale, that's a crapshoot. The smartest guy in our school, with 45 in his predicted IB score, 2370 SATs, perfect SAT IIs, President of every club possible, leader of some bullshit "club against drunk drivers" or something like that, and who teachers rave as the best student they've ever taught in years got waitlisted in Harvard (made all hte other Ivies though). Just a heads up.

Also, with all the shit video games are getting (kids shooting in schools cause of CS, and other FPSes, kid accidently killing themselves in Korea through Starcraft), that might leave a bad impression. Wait scratch that. It WILL leave a bad impression
I got close to perfects on SAT II's (Physics, Math, USH), 2300 overall on SAT (750 CR, 760 W).

Yeah I'm applying to Yale, Harvard, Brown, etc. I've a little nudge because I've got legacy to yale, but that is obviously not something to lean on.

Thanks for the advice though everyone. Still wrestling with it, though I'm inclined to not include it. Too much risk; the reward of making a admissions officer laugh and make myself somewhat memorable isn't that likely, I plan on focusing more on the essays.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
A very good decision chenman333. The essays are what will ultimately make or break you, and the addition of such a frivolous hobby shouldn't be the focal point of your application.

This is an utterly terrible idea. Saying that you play a children's game obsessively may be more unique than something like playing the violin, but one leaves an impression of being refined and elegant, whereas the other leaves an impression of being a man-child.
hey, all the "geniuses" are a bit awkward and quirky, but you're right, chenman should not. he just sounds like the typical asian-american. i'm guessing he's chinese due to his violin- or who knows? maybe his name gave it away.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I got straight perfects on SAT II's (Physics, Math, USH), 2300 overall on SAT (750 CR, 760 W).

Yeah I'm applying to Yale, Harvard, Brown, etc. I've a little nudge because I've got legacy to yale, but that is obviously not something to lean on.

Thanks for the advice though everyone. Still wrestling with it, though I'm inclined to not include it. Too much risk; the reward of making a admissions officer laugh and make myself somewhat memorable isn't that likely, I plan on focusing more on the essays.
Just wondering. YOu doing honour courses or AP/IB?

And legacy is a huge factor in the Ivies. You'll get a huge break in Yale.

"Oh, I remember when my kids got swept up by the pogeyman craze. They were always watching the cartoon on TV, and the cards were so expensive! Then there were the games. My son/daughter wouldn't put it down. Ever.

Kids shouldn't waste their time playing mind rotting video games, they should go kick a ball around outside.

Now, lets have a look through these resumes."

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
lol, that would definitely be a fantastic point if chenman didn't also make states "kicking around a ball" in two different sports. if they were inclined to hate on video games for the reason you stated, chen more than makes it clear that he's one of the last people they would have to worry about just holing themselves up in their dorm room and being antisocial in favor of video games (and this is the main reason schools look at your extra curriculars for those of you who haven't yet applied to college)

hey, all the "geniuses" are a bit awkward and quirky, but you're right, chenman should not. he just sounds like the typical asian-american. i'm guessing he's chinese due to his violin- or who knows? maybe his name gave it away.
no "typical asian-america" makes states in the 300m dash. (though most schools/states dont actually run the 300m because the 200 and 400 are infinitely more popular and render the 300m superfluous, so i'll reserve my kudos till chen clears this up, lol)

anyway, don't bother. your prowess in both tennis and track (because i doubt anyone reading your app knows that the 300m is not a standard track & field event, which works in your favor) fills your "extracurriculars" quotient.

Even if it is pokemon, it is a strategy game and success in it means that you are good at strategical thinking which is always a plus.
That may be true, but I doubt they would see it as using strategy, most people see it as a kids game that has simply nothing that involves inteligence. It depends on what they think really.. they may just see it as wasting time on a game.. I don't really know.

I believe that the majority of people who read your application to decide whether you are accepted or not will not know anything about Pokémon, except that possibly their child watches the anime; The competitive and strategical side that requires a lot of knowledge and dedication will be completely ignored as they will most likely not know that that aspect of the game exists..

However, some may see the fact that you have included this to show your personality, and possibly sense of humour, as well as showing that you manage to maintain academic success, a musical instrument, and athletic abilities, while still having time to play a game that you enjoy in your free time - it shows that you have variety in your life that you juggle well.

Better to be safe than sorry? Perhaps you should omit your Pokélovin' unless you can word it very carefully... The possible cons (being regarded as immature?) outweigh the possible pros, I think.

Also, I think it would be a brave thing to do, and if you do, I will. ;D
(lol, will oxbridge be impressed?)

lol, that would definitely be a fantastic point if chenman didn't also make states "kicking around a ball" in two different sports. if they were inclined to hate on video games for the reason you stated, chen more than makes it clear that he's one of the last people they would have to worry about just holing themselves up in their dorm room and being antisocial in favor of video games (and this is the main reason schools look at your extra curriculars for those of you who haven't yet applied to college)

no "typical asian-america" makes states in the 300m dash. (though most schools/states dont actually run the 300m because the 200 and 400 are infinitely more popular and render the 300m superfluous, so i'll reserve my kudos till chen clears this up, lol)

anyway, don't bother. your prowess in both tennis and track (because i doubt anyone reading your app knows that the 300m is not a standard track & field event, which works in your favor) fills your "extracurriculars" quotient.
Thanks for the advice Jumpman

I qualified for states for 300m dash indoors, which explains the funky number (they use funky numbers like 55, 300, 600, etc.). Granted not many people are as willing to practice when its below freezing outside, so there isn't as much competition.

I would think it would be a bit of an iffey choice, but I would lean more on not putting it on.

You have to look at Pokemon from their perspective, or from the perspective of a person who probably doesn't know much about video gaming. They probably know what Pokemon is, but odds are, it is just a kids game to them. They might not realize the whole strategical side of the game, which may just make you look immature.

If you played chess at a high level, it would be wise to put it on there, since they obviously know the strategy behind it. Pokemon can be as complicated as chess, but odds are they don't know it.

So I'd say no, especially since you have alot of other impressive credentials you can add

there's really no reason to put it on. as others have said, it would be HIGHLY unlikely for any of the admissions officers to know that Pokemon requires strategy and prediction skills to be good at

the risk is obviously that they might think you childish or something like that

plenty of risk, no reward really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)