Psychic Types: Seeing The Past And Future... Of NU

Psychic types may have fallen from their throne from R/B/Y, but they are still a force to be reckoned with in the NU tier. They range from supporters to tanks, from frail attackers, to full out walls. This thread is meant to illustrate the impact of psychic types in the tier, and feel free to add your opinions yourself.

Offensive

Exeggutor

With his unique psychic/grass typing, exeggutor is definately a major threat offencively. Known for his versitility, exeggutor can pull off many sets, all of which are deadly in their own respect. Able to abuse trick room, sunny day, specs leaf storm, and even a tankish harvest/lum berry set. His all around good stats make him that much better. He also has a solid attack stat and expansive physical movepool including wood hammer, zen headbutt, low kick, and explosion. Exeggutor also abuse two fantastic abilities in chlorphyl and harvest. These allow him to either outspeed most of the metagame, or last for ages with a subseed or tank set abusing lum/sitris berry with harvest. Now with pinch berries having been released, you could attempt some kind of harvest boosting set, but Its doubtful to work.

Kadabra

Although not as common, kadabra should never be underestimated. With high speed, good strength (with zard as being 1 of two NU pokes with base 100 spA and speed), and a fantastic ability in magic guard, kadabra can easily pull off a late game sash, as it will never lose it to hazards. A life orb set is also viable, as it won't take LO recoil, but one must be wary of faster threats. Kadabra works all around as a status absorber as well, as he will not take damage from burn or poison. Kadabra is a great pokemon in the clutch, as with the omnipresent focus sash, great spA, and expansive movepool, he can stand out from the crowd, dispite his miserable usage stat.

Gardevoir

Gardevoir truely is a jack of all trades. With base 80 speed and 125 spA, gardevoir is an extremely potent offensive threat. With the ability trace, gardevoir is one of the tier's top checks to weather teams, able to copy that ludicolo's swift swim or that exeggutor's chlorphyl. Also, gardevoir abuses choice items to the highest potential, able to trick it to walls and crippling them, or outspeeding common threats with a scarf set and hitting hard with a choice move from it's massive movepool. This movepool contains the likes of psychic/shock, shadow ball, thunderbolt, energy ball, trick, as well as support options like heal bell, wish, will-o-wisp, memento, screens, and healing wish. Thus pulling us into the fact you should NEVER underestimate gardevoir's defensive traits. base 68 hp and 65 def isnt fantastic, but it is enough to abuse her great base 115 spD.

Duosion

As the other major abuser of magic guard in NU, duosion is basically the polar opposite of kadabra. Able to abuse eviolite with magic guard, high HP, and solid defences, this poke has no need to rely on speed to kill things. With access to trick room and recover, duosion can tank hits and "outspeed" opponants with ease. It can also utilize calm mind for a full-on bulky sweeper. With magic guard, duosion is considered public enemy #1 to stall in the NU tier. And although his usage dropped massively last month, duosion still fills a niche that is difficult to obtain otherwise. The are only 3 things that keep it in relation with his cousin, magic guard, pure psychic typing, and a massive base spA stat. And although duosion has steeply dropped in usage due to the upbringing of musharna, it still fills a niche as being a bulky TR abuser.

Musharna

Dispite abysmal speed and a mediocre movepool, musharna is the very essance of tankish psychic in NU. I have seen a few LO sets floating around that have been fairly effective. It can also utilize calm mind and trick room with moonlight and stored power, if you like that kind of set. Oh yea, and this thing is freaking BULKY. He also has access to sleep talk, giving him an effective resttalk set. Synchronize is fairly underrated, as the ability to punish bulky opponants for toxicing him improves his abilities as a tank. Musharna is also a very fantastic counter to the tier's common fighting types (Barring scraggy), as it resists their STABs and has great hp and defense stats with reliable-ish recovery. Musharna does however, suffer from a bad movepool. Outside the options i mentioned, he doesnt have much to work with. He doesn't even get focus blast. ;_; Fortunately, BW2 move tutors were helpful for the little guy, as they gifted him with heal bell. Meaning he can now support himself while sweeping without worry of toxic. But all in all, musharna is a great pokemon and shouldn't be underestimated.

Swoobat

Formerly at the near bottom of this list, swoobat rises up due to the release of his ability simple. Swoobat sports a typing that serves as a double edged sword. It has air slash and a blistering speed stat going for it, as well as Simple giving him a nasty plot and amnesia every time he sets up a calm mind. This ability allows swoobat to boost his special stats by 2 stages in one turn, combining high speed with solid power and bulk after a boost. He must be wary of dark types however, as he is still incredibly frail on the physical side. And once PS! allows the use of stat boosting pinch berries (outside salac) a set involving simple and a leichi berry can be attempted, as swoobat can abuse It's high speed to set up subs on anything until leichi activates, giving him a free SD and able to abuse STAB acrobatics. Who knows if the set would work, but its certainly an option imo.

Girafarig

Ok, this is really where it stops. I guess it's typing is cool with normal/psychic, leaving only one weakness (dark). It also gets sap sipper and calm mind, but gimmicks are gimmicks. Girafarig, with the epic palendrome name, has absolutely nothing to offer that something else can't do, outside of sap sipper with calm mind. it can also be decent on baton pass teams with BP / screens / sub or set up move (you have agility, calm mind...) with his sap sipper so you can deal with sleep powders. And *theorymonning* but this set could be effective on BP teams. Basically, It's a gimmicky answer to amoonguss.

Lunitone

Lunitone's main draw is it's ability as a baton passer. With decent defenses, lunatone can pass a multitude of moves such as calm mind, cosmic power, and rock polish. He can also set up for himself with an impressive movepool including earth power, ice beam, shadow ball, ancientpower, psychic/shock, grass knot, and signal beam. And this can potentially put a dent in unprepared teams, but will rarely sweep, due to mediocre 95/70 spA/spe respectively. Lunatone also has a vast physical movepool, but his base 55 atk is too low to make anything of it unfortunately. Through the dream world however, Lunitone gained access to moonlight. It can help it a self-setup or bulky set, but unfortunately it is illegal with baton pass.

Solrock

Solrock basically works as a physical lunitone, but with less viable setup options. Baton pass should be left to his brother, as solrock's stats are less tailored to the job. He can, however, utilize a decent base 85 def stat to soft check the birds. Solrock is also a bit more suited to setting things up, as it can be a suicide lead, setting up both stealth rocks and sunny day before exploding. It also has trick room and acrobatics, but they are to little avail. It's interesting STABs also nab good coverage in NU, but it is still pretty weak and slow. In the dream world it obtained Morning sun, which is a blessing to the bulkier sets. And sinse solrock will rarely use BP anyways, he can be free to have a full physicallly defensive set, dispite his mediocre defenses.

Mr Mime

Mr Mime is a curious mixed bag of tricks. With three interesting abilities called filter (mr mime's version of solid rock),technition, and soundproof, the mime can do a few things and is a diamond in the rough in these last few mentions. It can baton pass, making use of either filter or soundproof to pass along subs, CMs, and charge beams. It also could attempt to be a spc Attacker with interesting moves like technition charge beam, icy wind, magical leaf, shock wave, calm mind, psychic, shadow ball... you get it, this thing's movepool is out the wazoo.

Beheeyem

Thank you, everyone who pointed out that I missed this thing. This thing is not a bad NP trick room sweeper, and can take hits. Unfortunately, there are usually better TR sweepers, including duosion and exeggutor, who's better ability and extra STAB (respectively) make them a more favorable for someone running a TR team. BUT beheeyem has access to Nasty Plot, so he still has a niche over these guys. Also, beheeyem recently obtained the ability analytic. And although it is still inferior to exeggutor in a specs set, it can do some massive damage to anything it can live a hit from.

Defensive

Psychic is a little weak on the defensive side, especially due to the prevelance of dark types and pursuit trappers in NU, but here are a few options.

Hypno

As a rare gem, this guy can be the most annoying poke ever, or a bump on a log. He is a very heavily defensive poke and won't do much offensively. He also is able to abuse the ability insomnia, able to trump common sleepers like tangela, vileplume, and amoonguss. He is also a fantastic wish passer and dual screener. He at least has siesmic toss to deal SOME damage, but his bad offenses leave it at that. Access to trick also has interesting options as a trick scarfer, but should stick to wish passing and dealing with sleepers. Also, disable can be a fun toy, but again, he is superior at wish passing.

Metang

With concensus from #neverused, we can all agree this thing sucks. However, it can take jynx's hits, and is common, so I added it anyway. It's part steel, giving it an edge on alot of common NU attacks. With eviolite he gets really bulky, but he lacks recovery. He can at least stealth rock, so he has some use. He can also put up dual screens, but then, why use this pile of crap at all? It does have powerful STAB moves and STAB priority, but his base 75 atk is too weak to make good use of them. Your best bet at doing damage is using a suicide SR lead with normal gem explosion, as dying is the one thing metang can do correctly. Although he's technically RU,(Molk) I'm leaving him on this list because he will just drop again soon.

Grumpig

Unfortunately, it's physical defence is lacking. However, access to the ability Thick Fat gives it a niche in taking on ice types and fire types. It also has access to thunder wave and confuse ray, which can be a good cause for anger management to your opponants. Unfortunately, it is easily trapped by skuntank and removed from play. But the holiday ham can be a great troll if added to a solid core, it is niche.It also supports the team with heal bell, but that is common to bulky psychics.

Gothitelle

This poke has great stats to back up a defencive poke. However, outside of toxic and Twave, it doesn't have much of a movepool to abuse these stats. It has frisk which can help in gathing information on the opponant's item, but thats about it. But however, when shadow tag is released, we may get some fun out of it before they ban the ability completely. Gothitelle also can abuse a gimmick with the moves Flatter and Psych Up, which allows gothitelle to have a psudo-nasty plot while confusing the opponant as well. However, this is very difficult to perform, as the opponant can simply switch out and ruin your strategy. With shadow tag however...

Speaking of shadow tag...

Wynaut use this pokemon?

Ok, ok, sorry, I just had to. Wynaut is a curious case of a pokemon. Shadow tag allows it to trap a pokemon and go from there. Wynaut's achilles heel is that it's movepool is absolutely atrotious, as it has to rely on freaking COUNTER and MIRROR COAT to deal damage. Luckily, it has access to encore, so it isnt set up bait by any means. However, encore got nerfed in 5th gen and doesnt last nearly as long. But nonetheless, wynaut is unreliable and not for the feint of heart.

Natu

Maaaagic booouuunce! That is the main draw of natu. As the only magic bouncer in the NU teir, natu is a decent dual screener, and he can roost to heal himself. Unfortunately, his defenses are miserable, even with eviolite. His typing is also poor. Fortunately, it has decent speed and u-turn, so he can get out in a pinch. But that's really it for the guy. He only works as a dual screener and rock blocker, so i would discourage using him otherwise.

Bronzor

It's the same thing as metang really, only with one less weakness due to the abilities heatproof and levitate. But again, dont use it.

Chimecho

As it is rare and outclassed by the majority of bulky psychics in the tier, chimecho finds itself towards the bottom of the tier. It is actually a decent trick scarfer and has quite a few support options. Healing wish completely revitalizes an ally,
and wish heals HP for anything. Levitate is an interesting ability, giving a useful immunity to an otherwise abysmal pokemon, but that is about it. It has other support stuff like heal bell and knock off, but again, not much is going in this guy's favor.

Slowpoke

It sounds good on paper, with access to scald, regenerator, eviolite, slack off, etc. But It's defences are just to low to be effective in NU.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this thread, feel free to post your reactions below, and if I forgot anything, feel free to let me know, and I may put it in. Also, a special thanks to those of you who helped me with the pictures.

Possible additions: baltoy

-UPDATED FOR THE MORE NOTABLE BW2 CHANGES-

What, no Unown?

Just kidding, but how could you forget Beheeyem?

No, Beheeyem isn't the greatest Psychic Pokemon in NU, but he is still a boss. He is (to my knowledge) the only Psychic with access to Trick Room + Nasty Plot, and he has the perfect stats for just that set: 75 / 75 / 95 isn't terrible for bulk, and he gets 125 SpAtk and 40 Spe.

He only has Psychic / Psyshock and (insert filler coverage move here) for offense, but with +2 to his SpAtk as well as Trick Room allowing him to pseudo-outpace everything, he can boost up and proceed to put holes through anything he's able to get a neutral hit (or better) on.

I'd say Beheeyem is one of the cooler Psychic types in NU, even if he is outclassed by most of the other popular ones.

EDIT: Also, you can just copy the image URL of the analysis sprites in the strategy Pokedex (just right click the sprite) to your post by clicking the "Go Advanced" button, and then the "Insert Image" button while in advanced posting mode. The "Insert Image" button will present you with a prompt to type the URL of the image you want to use and you can just insert the URL you just copied.
(This also works for any image URL, but I find the sprites to be more appealing)

Beheeyem is a really cool Pokemon. Nasty Plot + Trick Room is a really good combination, especially on a Pokemon that has 125 base Special Attack. That's not the only set I'm interested in on Beheeyem, however. Nasty Plot + Recover could be a very powerful combination. Beheeyem doesn't even need that many Special Attack EV's to hit hard after a Nasty Plot. Bulky Nasty Plot would probably be a very threatening set... I should try it out soon.

Anyways, it's funny that you made this thread... just an hour ago I was theorymon'ing Solrock and Lunatone.

Solrock could potentially be a good utility check. It checks Braviary, Magmortar, Charizard, Tauros, Regirock, Swellow, and a few other Pokemon. However, it doesn't actually check much more than that and doesn't have any form of recovery other than Rest.

Lunatone could be a decent Calm Mind user. While most of its stats are lower than Musharna's and Gardevoir's, it has the advantage of having superior coverage. Not only that, but it has a better typing and ability. I'm thinking of using something such as Calm Mind / Psychic / Hidden Power Rock / Baton Pass.

Also, Musharna is amazing and more people should use it. Especially the Musharna set in Raseri's RMT.

A psychic type is almost mandatory this meta since they are the only type that can switch in on Gurdurr / Sawk and OHKO them. In order of preference for this role I'd say Musharna / Duosion /Eggy / Gardevoir are the most qualified. Since the first three are bulky and strong and the last has enough utility to take on lots of other threats.

Also the only true stop to psychic types is Skuntank, as Absol is so frail that HP Fighting from LO Musharna cleanly OHKO's it, and he cannot OHKO back. Psychics are really great this meta and every team should have one :)

Personally i use the anti-weather ScarfGardevoir and i have to point out that Garde can be offensive and defensive. That set is awesome revenging any weather abuser or a lot of fast mon, and if the opponent have a slow/stall team, you can simply trick the scarf for crippling some evio-user or such.

Duosion is my favourite in general, but he have many threats to be warry of since he's not under a couple of CMs.

Eggy is simply awesome, i've faced a lot of any set and can dent a lot of mons simply with leafstorm or annoy the same number with leech seed. I want to try that :D

Musharna is so bulky, but i use him (her ?) only on a baton pass team in the past, i'm pretty sure that a speed pass from ninjask in a CM/storedpower set can be very threaten and powerful.

In the BP team i've used even Mr Mime for walling Roar thanks to sound proof, but i think that's not the way he must be played :P

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Metang @ is still number 1.

Anyways, I would actually put Gardevoir under Offensive as a excellent counter to weather teams, thanks to the ungodly ability that is trace. Unscarfed loses to Sawsbuck, sadly, but you can't win them all.

If I recall correctly, there was a guy who used Wynaut to great effect. In fact, his team is even in the RMT archive. While I won't say it's top of the line amazing, Wynaut is certainly better then you give it credit for.

Wynaut is really good at trapping problematic threats such as jynx or sawk. On a side note you spelt offence and defence wrong in the OP.

@the above post, you also spelled offense and defense incorrectly lmao

Also damn I was searching for mesprit in the op before I realized it wasn't NU anymore :(

Aside from that, I think wynaut is really underrated, I've used it to help setup sweepers such as Gorebyss get off a quick Shell Smash and then proceed to sweep. It's all about how you use it. If you play wynaut too early in the game, chances are, it won't help you get that crucial sweep. But if it is played mid to late game, it can really work wonders. I suppose some of its success might come from the fact that hardly anyone uses it, but it's still a useful mon IMO.

Whats you guys opinion on Duosion vs Masharna?

I personally think both are fantastic but prefer Duosion because it takes burn and Toxic well.

I'm not sure who wins one on one either with perfect play. I've won one on one against Musharna but that's only because of either bad play on their end or bad sets(Repeatedly shadow balling while I'm slowly Calm minding my way to a sweep, etc) ...because I don't think either of the two can beat each other without CM.

On paper it looks like Musharna should win given they are both running Recover/HP Fighting/Psyshock/Calm Mind.

@the above post, you also spelled offense and defense incorrectly lmao
*facepalm* blame auto correct for the second first one and the second mistake is the british way of spelling. Anyways gardeviour is really good but it has issues competing with jynx

Max/Max+ Duosion is bulkier than max/max+ musharna. But access to lefties and the ability to use items other than eviolite have voncinved me that Musharna outclasses Duosion in this meta.

Duosion has a more reliable recovery move, more power and more bulk.
Musharna has Stored Power, access to LO or Choice specs(to defeat the power issue), and RestTalk.

These advantages make Musharna a lot better, especially since it doesnt need to run max/max+ and it still checks the same things duosion does.

Anyways with all the psychic types in the tier I've been looking for ways to abuse them in more interestnig ways. Since most teams have a psychic type nowadays, and they all run similar sets. Maybe a surprise Hypno sweep could work? Well that probably wouldn't but I feel there is a lot of untapped potential in the minds of the psychic types. If I have any good results I'll report them back here.

No, ive tried/faced a few nasty plot hypnos. It's too slow o work, so to pull it off, you will probably need a lot of thunder wave support.

Max/Max+ Duosion is bulkier than max/max+ musharna.
Musharna is actually bulkier than Duosion. 240 / 252+ Musharna takes 29% minimum from Sawk's CB Earthquake, while 252 / 252+ Duosion takes 34% minimum from Sawk's CB Earthquake.

Either way, I wouldn't say that Musharna outclasses Duosion. It has access to the amazing ability in Magic Guard and it has higher Special Attack. As such, it makes a great Trick Room user. It doesn't have access to Thunder Wave, and it's less bulky, but it's still a brilliant Trick Room and Calm Mind user.

An "offensive" Duosion set of Recover / Psyshock / HP Fighting / Shadow Ball could be good. It's slightly weaker and less bulky (If Musharna is carrying Life Orb, that is), but at least it doesn't take 10% damage each turn it attacks and of course it has Magic Guard.

Both Duosion and Musharna deserve more usage.

Max/Max+ Duosion is bulkier than max/max+ musharna. But access to lefties and the ability to use items other than eviolite have voncinved me that Musharna outclasses Duosion in this meta.

Duosion has a more reliable recovery move, more power and more bulk.
Musharna has Stored Power, access to LO or Choice specs(to defeat the power issue), and RestTalk.

These advantages make Musharna a lot better, especially since it doesnt need to run max/max+ and it still checks the same things duosion does.

Anyways with all the psychic types in the tier I've been looking for ways to abuse them in more interestnig ways. Since most teams have a psychic type nowadays, and they all run similar sets. Maybe a surprise Hypno sweep could work? Well that probably wouldn't but I feel there is a lot of untapped potential in the minds of the psychic types. If I have any good results I'll report them back here.
You forgot arguably the biggest difference, Magic Guard. This is a BIG reason to play Duosion.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You seriously should have Gardevoir in the Offensive section, as its mostly used offensively as you could tell from playing NU and the recently released moveset stats.

You should talk about its Choice or Offensive CM LO set.
For reference I am making the Gardy Analysis, you can check out some of the sets I have listed in the skeleton.

Also please mention that Grumpig is a hard counter to both Jynx and Magmortar
200th Post woooo!

Alright, moved voir to offence and added to hypno and grumpig. Keep it coming guys, anything else this thread may need?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Musharna also gets Sleep Talk, which means it can use a Rest-Talk CM set with Stored Power (another move Duosion doesnt get!) to absorb status. Synchronize is also a really underrated ability, screwing over people who try to Toxic or burn you. It whittles away their HP while you set up on them. I can't count how many matches I've won with Synchronize Toxic giving me CMs, then laughing as I rest it away while their Musharna counter dies to poison damage. Leaving me at like +3 +3 and 100% HP, unable to be OHKOd by anything in this metagame.

Sashed Kadabra is an excellent revenger who has often saved my team from a sweep by his ability to survive any single hitting attack regardless of hazards and strike back with a powerful psychic. Encore and Calm Mind work wonders for support and allow him to attempt a sweep. A Life Orb set works well too but must be played more cautiously because Kadabra is a glass cannon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)