SS UU Project: VENUS

https://pokepast.es/dd8528f1d9e56a9a

You might have a lot of questions.

I've started to take interest into making teams, that focus onto one pokemon that isn't highlighted in the main meta and is overlooked and has potential. This time, in the UU metagame, it's Venusaur.

Venusaur's the star of our show, so I've decided to go reach a bit outside of the normal leech seed toxic sets you would see, and make a Weather Ball AV set! Rain teams are a huge threat in UU, with Pelipper having Drizzle, and there being threats like Kingdra. Anyways, this Venusaur has its three special attacks; Energy Ball for STAB, Water and Ground types. Sludge Bomb for STAB, Grass and Fairies. Earth Power for coverage, and then Weather Ball, which obviously means that we must have a weather.

Torkoal is a surprisingly bulky mon that has two roles on this team. Set up sun to give Venusaur double speed and a 100 base power fire type attack, and be a surprise threat for Krookodile, Jirachi, Chansey and Rhyperior, four stealth rock setters of UU. Torkoal is another bulky attacker, but also another mon that's weak to Ground. What's our solution?

Rotom-W is a great mon with Levitate, an ability that grants an immunity to Ground type attacks. Its main role will be to be Hazard Control, and spread Burns to weaken physical attackers. After that; Rotom-W has its two STAB's, Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt. That is our Water - Grass - Fire core, so who are the three others?

Chansey is a living defensive legend. Having great special bulk with the option to run eviolite makes everyone forget about its terrible Defense stat. Chansey will be your all-around wall and pivot, so you can spread Toxic to more stall-ish mons and deal nice damage with Seismic Toss. Chansey is fine for a defensive wall, don't get me wrong...

...however, Buzzwole is straight up a defensive tank! Buzzwole has over base 400 defense and HP stat, with more than 300 attack stat, Drain Punch, and Roost. It also has Bulk Up, to become tankier, and Dual Wingbeat for coverage and breaking subs and sashes.

Last but not least, we have Aegislash. Aegislash will serve to wither away your opponents with Toxic and King's Shield. It will throw off many new opponents with a special attacking set, and it has all round great bulk and attacking stats! Aegislash is your Defense - Offense jack of all traits, and master of some.

Let me know how this team is, or how I can improve it! I have less experience on the UU ladder than OU, so it might be clear that I don't know jack about the UU metagame :/

Enjoy another "Omarinator Original"!

this team is weak to fire with Venusaur, Buzzwole and Aegislash.
Maybe swap one of them for ground or rock type. Or why not both with Rhyperior.

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Hey Omarinator, I'm a fan of using weather in general, and trying Sun again in Rain meta is a unique pick. I think you can make this team more effective with some more role compression to better handle the meta at large. Hope you consider some of these changes.

Major Changes

:aegislash: :chansey: -> :metagross: :krookodile:
Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 220 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
Metagross and Krookodile are able to compress a solid amount of roles defensively while having a more offensive presence than Chansey and Aegislash. Metagross can spread Toxic and still stomach special attacks as Chansey did. There are also a few occasions where stalling out your own Sun turns is ideal. Krookdoile's Intimidate is able to provide some utility behind Buzzwole, but it's mainly here for Speed control when Venusaur is outside of Sun as well as its Electric-immunity. Krookodile can also squeeze Stealth Rock, though in Boots meta it can be best to just go for the hard-hitting moves.

:rotom-wash: -> :primarina:
Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Weather Ball
- Moonblast
- Hydro Pump
- Flip Turn
Primarina is an efficient offensive Water-type. Unlike Rotom-W, having the Water-type STAB weakened is ultimately not an issue due to its access to Weather Ball. The Fire/Fairy coverage is rather difficult to switch into, and you can still threaten Water STAB outside of Sun, or just Flip Turn into Buzzwole etc. I tried a Substitute 3 Attacks variant but felt Specs had the best payoff with its coverage. You can run Scald over Hydro Pump but you do not run out of Hydro Pump pp in practice anyway due to how little you click it. Primarina also generally pressures opposing Rain teams better than Rotom-W thanks to its Fairy typing.

Minor Changes

:torkoal: :venusaur: :buzzwole:
Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Rapid Spin
- Rest
- Toxic

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb

Buzzwole @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roost
Torkoal and Venusaur are a classic Sun core and the best way to capitalize on their synergy is through sweeping with Venusaur while Torkoal provides (limited) defensive utility. Buzzwole is better off with a more standard offensive variant as well, as it still has defensive utility switching into Pokemon like Zarude and Krookodile just with its natural bulk.

https://pokepast.es/51c02d4b4367d2e7
This version is more offensive than the original and should help with getting overwhelmed by slower wallbreakers with Venusaur is out in the sun. The offensive prowess of Primarina and Metagross utility better set up Venusaur to sweep as well. s/o KM for helping me test this team. Enjoy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)