Project Mono-Type: Psychic

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
*sorry if this has already been mentioned*

Many sand offence teams can be turned into psychic monotype teams. I saw Run said that we should refrain from posting teams, so ill wait to post some prime examples. IMO sand + psychic work very well together and many sand offence teams usually end up carrying 2 psychic types(example pokes: celebi, jirachi, lati@s, starmie, slowbro) are common pokes on sand teams. It is a simple matter replacing another member with other psychic types. Tht list above is not complete of psychic pokes that work well in sand. Reuniclus and Alakazam work extremely well in sand teams too. I also saw some talk about an alakazam set and I would like to offer my favorite one:
Alakazam @ focus sash
max sp attack max speed
calm mind| psyshock| focus blast| shadow ball

this set is a great sweeper, that with a sash can boast a second life as hazards/ weather does not break it. It is easy to cm on the switch and then sweep using two lives.

well nevertheless i hope that i was helpful to the conversation :]

EDIT: just to be clear im talking bout 3:3 teams

yes, and is good, except...

none of the sand streamers are psychic types! damn.

i really think we should maybe consider a trick room team.. although from my experiences, bandtar will be a huge problem.

the two top threats of mono-psychic teams are, imo, tyranitar and scizor. i think both of these are taken care of well by,

banded victini.

banded victini has the ability to hit ttar and scizor very very hard, and can scout effectively with u-turn.

(scarf works too, but fails to ohko ttar with brick break)

yes, and is good, except...

none of the sand streamers are psychic types! damn.

i really think we should maybe consider a trick room team.. although from my experiences, bandtar will be a huge problem.

the two top threats of mono-psychic teams are, imo, tyranitar and scizor. i think both of these are taken care of well by,

banded victini.

banded victini has the ability to hit ttar and scizor very very hard, and can scout effectively with u-turn.

(scarf works too, but fails to ohko ttar with brick break)
Countering VOlcaron works best if Victini can switch attacks (V-Create + ExtremeSpeed KO Volcaron).

Alakazam works well, and it also acts like Scizor Bait if it has HP Fire and Sub (for the Bullet Punch).

Starmie is also an excellent Revenge Killer (w/ Choice Scarf) or Spinner.

Here's what I think we have so far:
On the team:
Deoxys-S: Lead and all that stuff.
Victini: For Volcaron
Debating:
Alakazam: For sweeping
Starmie: See above
Reniculus: Under trick room, or even when calm minding, this thing hits hard.

victini doesn't get espeed but it has quick attack

scarfmie really enjoys the ability to switch moves imo

the main threat right now is that we need something to kill tyranitar since he can pursuit the shit out of most psychics so we need to do something about him before we can even start about lati, zam, starmie

victini doesn't get espeed but it has quick attack

scarfmie really enjoys the ability to switch moves imo

the main threat right now is that we need something to kill tyranitar since he can pursuit the shit out of most psychics so we need to do something about him before we can even start about lati, zam, starmie
Metagross seems like the best Pokemon to counter Tyranitar. It is neutral to Crunch and can hit hard back with STAB Meteor Mash.

Mixed Metagross seems to be the best canidate to killing TYranitar and Scizor. Scizor is lured in and OHKO'ed by HP Fire while Tyranitar is killed by Meteor Mash. He's neutral to both their STAB's too. Wish and Para support from Jirachi look likes a great partner, helping with the Recoil and Speed issues.

I noticed that Musharna is somewhat of a tank, and I felt I might as well bring her to attention. (Mostly the Smogon University page for her, but it could work in lower tiers, and if your brave/skilled, OU.)

Item: Life Orb/Quick Claw
Ability: Synchronize
Nature: Modest
EV Spread: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Moves:
Psychic/Psyshock
Shadow Ball
HP Fighting/Energy Ball
Moonlight

For the most part, this is a standard Special Attack set. Psychic/Psyshock gives STAB, Shadow Ball gives you the ability to take down pokemon like Grumpig, Bannete, and Chandelure, and HP Fighting is a good counter to dark and steel types, like Magnezone, Liepard, and Bisharp. The Quick Claw provides Mushu some speed, but it takes away from her Special Attack, so it could make an interesting alternative. Energy Ball provides an interesting alternative, as while it hits less dark types, it allows Musharna to hit other threats, like Relicanth and Gorebyss.

Threats and Counters:

Anything that has a bulky special defense will stall her, as will anything that reduces her special attack. Steel types can check Musharna, but most can't do much against her. Most dark types can counter her since their only threat is HP Fighting or possibly Energy Ball. Finally, most bug types can counter her, especially Escavalier and Heracross.

you can't really get rid of sub on zam because it allows you to beat Scizor (sub up while opponent switches to Scizor, click HP fire to win), and we know how Scizor can smash up psychics quite badly.

considering the amount of psychics that get shadow ball (i'm sure there's like a fuckton of them) you can skip it on Zam
Yeah but something as powerful as Zam does not enjoy being hard-walled by so many common pokes. The 4-attacks set takes out Scizor almost as well, simply skipping the extra sub step and hitting him with HP Fire on the switch. Scizor switch-ins to Zam are incredibly obvious. Hell, even without HP Fire (sub, psychic, focus blast, shadow ball) you're not completely screwed against Scizor, as you can Sub on the switch to scout him, and then Focus Blast 2HKOs. If he Bullet Punches, switch out. If he U-turns, act accordingly. If he boldly Pursuits, click FB a second time and pray. Granted, Focus Blast misses every time, but theoretically you still have a shot...

I would not really like to bet on FB hitting twice in a row and agree with Sub+HP Fire. Also, I have a gimmicky set against Volcarona.

Parafusion Starmie:
252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 4 somewhere else
Timid Nature

Thunder Wave
Confuse Ray
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam

It's a gimmick, and I don't know what to remove for Recover, maybe Lefties for some healing.

Actually, the good news for Zam is that he just happens to be 3 speed points higher than Scarftar(372 vs 369), so it means that he can fire a Focus Blast at Tyranitar before being killed. Psychic/Fighting/Fire is good coverage imo (i've no idea what actually hard-walls it Kaos... maybe you can elaborate?).

Actually, the good news for Zam is that he just happens to be 3 speed points higher than Scarftar(372 vs 369), so it means that he can fire a Focus Blast at Tyranitar before being killed. Psychic/Fighting/Fire is good coverage imo (i've no idea what actually hard-walls it Kaos... maybe you can elaborate?).
Victini, Slowbro, Lati@s, and Starmie resist all three (also Slowking and Zen Mode Darmanitan, but no one uses those). Outside of that Sableye and, to a lesser extent, Spiritomb are immune to all but hp-fire, which isn't going to do much since it's an unstabbed 70 power neutral attack (same goes for any pure psychic, Xatu, Swoobat, Sigilyph, and Claydol, except with resistances instead of immunities). It's good coverage, and it hits things like Scizor if you need it to hit things like Scizor, but Shadow Ball/Psychic/Focus Blast is just a little better neutral-wise.

And survives an unboosted Bug Bite from Scizor while frying him with flamethrower an can Scald Tyranitar for it to be dead weight for the rest of the game (if burned), oh yeah, and he recovers when switching so with only leftovers he's incredibly annoying to stop

I can vouch for LO Deoxys-S.
It's a great revenge killer that, because it doesn't need a choice scarf, can pull a late game sweep on the unsespecting opponent.

I don't think Heat Proof Bronzong will work, as the oppoenent will instantly know its Heat Proof, and we're losing one of Bronzong's potential switch-in's (on an Earthquake).

Victini with a choice scarf and final gambit could take out a troublesome sweeping opponent *cough*cough*Volcaron*cough by doing 404 dmag. In a metagame sin Explosion, few people would suspect it.

Mr. Mime could work, but can it really deal significant damage back to Volcaron?

Mew's versatility could be helpful.

How could we use Wob? Are we allowed to use Ubers? If so, we have Mewtwo, Lugia, and Psychihc Arcues at our disposal.
Wobbufet isn't uber, he isn't even ou lol. I hoped everyone would realise what by now, wobbufet needs some love.

I would not really like to bet on FB hitting twice in a row and agree with Sub+HP Fire. Also, I have a gimmicky set against Volcarona.

Parafusion Starmie:
252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 4 somewhere else
Timid Nature

Thunder Wave
Confuse Ray
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam

It's a gimmick, and I don't know what to remove for Recover, maybe Lefties for some healing.
How the hell does this beat Volcarona?

Anyway, I think Mono Psychic is pretty interesting. Some of the best Pokemon in OU right now are psychic typed (Deoxys, Starmie, Celebi, Jirachi, Lati@s, Wobbuffet), so it's a powerful type with a lot of potential.

edit: I realize Wobbuffet isn't technically in OU, so don't get on my jock about that.

I'd suggest throwing baton pass on as many pokes as possible that cant survive a pursuit, in order to be able to switch out to gallade and get the justified boost.

How the hell does this beat Volcarona?
My fault, I should have elaborated. It just annoys the volcarona. T-wave slows it down, then switch to gallade, outspeed+stone edge. Besides, paralyze severely cripples volcarona anyways.

It's not the best idea, but it's one way against volcarona.
I know this takes up 2 team slots though, which is bad.

Paralyzed 1QD Volcarona outspeeds Normal Gallade?
If so, then my strategy is horrible.
No, the problem is that Volcarona at +1 outspeeds and OHKOs Starmie before it does shit. Relying on perfectly timing a switch-in to Volca is a bad idea, too.

That being said, the defensive Victini and/or revenge with X seems to be the best idea we have.

If Volcarona is one of the main threats to a mono psychic team then why aren't we suggesting Mr Mime packing HP Rock? Soundproof cures all ills and his 120 Base Special Defense makes him an excellent switch in to many special attackers.

And while I'm here I may as well list some mons for their potential roles:

Good Physical Attackers:

Gallade (great set up sweeper, priority Shadow Sneak)
Metagross (good lead for SR, priority bullet punch)
Azelf (great at hit and run tactics with U-Turn and lots of coverage options and SR)

Good Physical sponges:

Slowbro (Regenerator ability, can run flamethrowe for Steels)
Uxie (Great coverage moves and SR)
Bronzong (Good status absorber and hazard setter)

Good Special Attackers:
Starmie (excellent speed, coverage and Rapid Spin)
Alakhazam (Blinding Speed and Massive Power)
Reuniclus (Great status absorber and Massive Power)
Jynx (Excellent secondary STAB)

Good Special Sponges:

Claydol (Rapid Spin!)
Mr Mime (Great Volcarona check and can be very disruptive with Screens and a Disable set)
Gardevoir (not much to say really, generic psychic unfortunately)

Miscellaneous pokes:

Espeon, Xatu - Magic Bounce. Just watch for your opponent out predicting you.
Wobbufet - Can be great for trapping specific threats.

Lots of other great pokes I haven't mentioned like the Lati twins, Cresselia, Celebi. I would hate for the team to try and pack in so many Legendaries and pseudo-legendaries though, and would prefer to use our expansive Psychic minds to outwit our opponents with skill alone.

If Volcarona is one of the main threats to a mono psychic team then why aren't we suggesting Mr Mime packing HP Rock? Soundproof cures all ills and his 120 Base Special Defense makes him an excellent switch in to many special attackers.
You mean Filter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)