Pre-Bank OU: The Wheels of Death Keep Turning

Yeah. If I get Cloyster in safe, Talonflame will immediately switch out or die. As for Gliscor, I can safe switch in at full health and Toxic whore it to an early grave. I will agree that Talonflame is a monster and hurts a lot, but it's not unbeatable. Sure, no one's a hard counter, and I'd like to see if I can work in one if he goes OU (as I'm expecting), but for now I can survive.
Excuse the one-liner, but Rotom-W is a hard counter, as is any bulky rock type, and Talonflame can't beat many variants of Tyranitar one-on-one.

EDIT: Or bulky Heatran and a physically bulky Haxorus. Physically defensive Milotic might work depending on what she takes from Brave bird (carrying recover). Aggron does a pretty good job too.

I feel that Cloyster is starting to lose usage as time goes on (as much as I love the bastard and I still pull off some wicked nasty sweeps, I never feel safe going into him unless off a kill, which usually he won't trump them so I go into Gengar. And the only Dragons/Flying he can revenge kill usually can kill him, like Goodra and his other Special Attacking friends) and Scolipede never gets a boost off safely and I tend to switch out way too much. Not to mention priority being a huge thing now. I might test opening with Scolipede more often. That might get better results.

But wouldn't that open up the team to getting special walled? Right now cloyster and blaziken look to be the main physical sweepers, so I am not sure what cloyster would be replaced with.

Last edited:
Yeah. Cloyster rarely goes off, but when he does, he takes out such a huge chunk of their team. And he does add in some nice Ice coverage as well as being a pretty good defensive wall. Switch him in on someone he shouldn't have problems with and get off a free Shell Smash and bam, game set and match.

Maybe something like bellyjet azumarril? Physical sweeper with a priority water move, sure it only hits talon for 2x but he is much bulkier than cloyster.

Maybe something like bellyjet azumarril? Physical sweeper with a priority water move, sure it only hits talon for 2x but he is much bulkier than cloyster.
Naw. I used that before and it was a bit lackluster and too cumbersome to pull off. He also failed to do much without the set-up, whereas Cloyster still does a decent job at tanking and taking out problems. If you look at the team-building section, you'd see that he was in the original version and replaced with Gliscor.

What about Scolipede, though? I made mention of him and got no input.

Naw. I used that before and it was a bit lackluster and too cumbersome to pull off. He also failed to do much without the set-up, whereas Cloyster still does a decent job at tanking and taking out problems. If you look at the team-building section, you'd see that he was in the original version and replaced with Gliscor.

What about Scolipede, though? I made mention of him and got no input.
You mentioned Scollipede never getting a boost off safely; this is the distinct problem with Baton Pass, in that it's very hard to pull off. You will get at least one safe(ish) boost off if you lead with him, on the premise that your sash won't be broken. Looking to test alternative options to Scollipede?

I have been playing with your team, as I liked it so much, and it works great! While not too much of a fan of goodra and gengar, I really love scolipede, blaziken and cloyster. I suggest leading with scolipede, its been working great for me, most games I actually manage to get 2-3 swords dances in before having to switch him, his bulk is suprising, which seems strange as his defensive stats are subpar. after which blaziken and cloyster are beasts. Its a shame blazikens in uber now though. (but expected. :P)

Seeing as Blaziken going back to Ubers (despite others not like Excadrill, his non-legendary friend as well as no other 6th Gen Pokemon or Mega Evolution getting any sort of lookover until February) before February like everyone else being shuffled around, I could care less about building a team right now before February. I'm not going to waste my time replacing him just to find out his replacement gets early banned without warning as well. I spent the last TWO SOLID WEEKS breeding my Blaziken, trying desperately to get Speed Boost females for upping the EV ratio (currently at only 3) or a 5 IV Blaze male (my only 5 IV is a Blaze female) to increase the chance of a 5 IV and Speed Boost happening at the same time, just to get it sniped. I'm not going to go through the same thing.

So yeah, fuck wasting time on team building atm. I'm going to wait until the tier list comes out so I know I won't get screwed over again. I ain't even mad about Blaziken being banned. I knew it was going to be, I just thought I'd have until February to use him. Much like someone using Dragon Rulers (I personally don't) in Yu-Gi-Oh!. They know it'll be killed in January, but they still buy it because they at least have the comfort and insurance to use it all they want until then. I feel like I've lost that with the early ban. Especially seeing as I want Aegislash to replace Scolipede and Mega Kangaskhan to replace Mega Blaziken (two huge contenders for the Uber tier).

Feel free to keep suggesting, though. I'll read and maybe even comment on it. I'm just not going to do any breeding or testing until the official tiers are released.

Seeing as Blaziken going back to Ubers (despite others not like Excadrill, his non-legendary friend as well as no other 6th Gen Pokemon or Mega Evolution getting any sort of lookover until February) before February like everyone else being shuffled around, I could care less about building a team right now before February. I'm not going to waste my time replacing him just to find out his replacement gets early banned without warning as well. I spent the last TWO SOLID WEEKS breeding my Blaziken, trying desperately to get Speed Boost females for upping the EV ratio (currently at only 3) or a 5 IV Blaze male (my only 5 IV is a Blaze female) to increase the chance of a 5 IV and Speed Boost happening at the same time, just to get it sniped. I'm not going to go through the same thing.

So yeah, fuck wasting time on team building atm. I'm going to wait until the tier list comes out so I know I won't get screwed over again. I ain't even mad about Blaziken being banned. I knew it was going to be, I just thought I'd have until February to use him. Much like someone using Dragon Rulers (I personally don't) in Yu-Gi-Oh!. They know it'll be killed in January, but they still buy it because they at least have the comfort and insurance to use it all they want until then. I feel like I've lost that with the early ban. Especially seeing as I want Aegislash to replace Scolipede and Mega Kangaskhan to replace Mega Blaziken (two huge contenders for the Uber tier).

Feel free to keep suggesting, though. I'll read and maybe even comment on it. I'm just not going to do any breeding or testing until the official tiers are released.
Aegislash and Mega-Khangaskhan aren't anywhere near strong contenders for Uber; neither of them unbalance the metagame at all, you just get a lot of people who misunderstand the ban lists speculating that "X sweeps teams therefore it should be banned." It's the whole reason that on one of the tier threads there's an FAQ along the lines of "Q: When will X be banned? A: It won't." There's a difference between seeing a lot of usage/being "good" (in the crudest sense of the word) and being unbalanced. The thing with Blaziken is that there was no reason to have it unbanned since the new meta didn't add anything that strictly countered it or really restricted how unbalanced it always was, and so the only real change to Blaziken was the ridiculous bonus to it's stats from having a mega-stone. In other words, it's on the uber list for the same reason that Mewtwo is, and that Xerneas and Yveltal were put on there, and not for the reasons that, for example, Garchomp was tested and put on there in genIV; because it obviously and without need for testing, unbalanced the game, compared to something like Garchomp which at the time took until the end of it's reign for people to decide that it would make for a much better metagame without it.

Why am I saying all this? You knew it would be banned, even if it was more for a simplified "it's too good" understanding, than a real understanding of the what tiers are and how they function. What I'm saying is as follows: I can't speak for the tiering council or whoever does it, but I can say with some experience of the game (although not of actually posting on the forums), that this will not happen again, particularly for any of the threats that you mentioned, because whereas Blaziken (generally speaking) didn't need to be, everything else will be tested properly, namely because everything that hasn't made an appearance on the uberlist that was before, has had significant changes to itself or the meta game to warrant new testing (such as Excadrill losing permanent sand support - the whole reason it was too good before was because it, once it was in, very rarely had a reason to come out; now he's got 4-6 turns).

In short - this has been a bit sternly worded so far (not intentionally!) - don't be put off! Come and have fun with the game! Make a team of the Pokémon you like - they're here to stay at least until January, I'm certain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)