[Pre-Bank OU] Don't Look at this Team

~Team at a Glance~

Preface: As I awkwardly start my first RMT, I'd like to give a little background to the origins of the team itself. I just reintroduced myself to competitive Pokemon after a long hiatus lasting from the Diamond and Pearl era til now. After reading some about Black and White OU I've came to adore the whole Volt-Turn concept. It is apparently a good team for someone who is new to the game and helps with learning predictions (supposedly) so I'd give it a whirl. So without any further awkward introductions here's the team.

Thought Process:

The infamous Volt-Turn Core. It all started with these two guys really, I do not need say much (mainly since I have no idea what I'm talking about, talk about confidence) that well it is staple. Note that I started out with throwing a bunch of Pokemon that had access to either Volt Switch or U-turn.

This man was the next member of the team. Continuing on with my whole vomiting of U-turn/Volt Switch dudes onto a six slotted canvas this dude landed a spot. During the first few days after launch of XY, when I read about his Hidden Ability I was hooked. I was always found of the Jack-of-All-Trades concept so when I found out that this guy had U-turn and a decent move pool I had to have it.

Surprisingly this guy was the next member of the team, though as you can see his run did not last very long. I first freaked out about having some for of entry hazard on my team. I always saw people talking about calculations they have done "after stealth rocks" so I was worried I wouldn't hit the numbers I needed too. On top of my noobish insecurities, I was worried that I needed a rapid spinner to get rid of entry hazards on my side of the field as I will be switching in and out all the time. Only after a couple of matches I learned to realize that all was in vain as experience always trumps book smarts.

Next I've felt that I needed some sort of wall, a Pokemon that can take a hit. So Gliscor was born. Gliscor did his job very well, walled the things that needed to be walled as that couldn't sound more generic. I had an odd move set on him. First from having U-turn, Roost, Earthquake, and Substitute then realizing that not every team member needed to have U-turn. Which was key to the final product. As seeing he didn't made the final cut I do feel like he has a strong presence on any team he is in. Gliscor is a Pokemon I'd consider adding back to this team or any other team I make in the future.

Just as greninja, Gale Wings caught my eye when looking over the generation six Pokemon. What I didn't realize is how much of an asset this flaming chicken really is. I've swept teams with this guy alone, against all odds Talon has pulled through time and time again. Though rocks are a major problem for this combustive foul, washing machines also proved trouble.

At this point my team was set in stone (or what I naively believed to be) but slowly I did a little clean up at an attempt to make my team solid as possible. Opposing Rotom -Wash has proved to be a problem for me so I added Jolteon on to the team. He replaced Gliscor since at the time I didn't have too much confidence in the flying scorpion. Jolteon did his job relatively well but then another problem appeared and that was in the form of Ferrothorn. So Noivern swapped out with Jolteon. Again that covered the Ferrothorn problem but opposing hazards still proved to be a problem and I was getting a little frustrated at Forretress as after setting up hazards it seemed as if I was playing with five mons.

Now to remedy the hazards problem I've tried two mons, those being Sableye and Starmie. I first started out with Sableye, and I enjoyed everything Prankster Taunt had to offer. Sending him out as my lead he solved my problem really well, in fact I've won off Sableye alone (well I guess rage quitting doesn't count as much as my ego would like it to). Then we hit a wall, I had nothing once hazards was already set up. Against a smart opponent Sableye didn't do much, plus adding him on to the team brought me back to my Rotom problem. So next came Starmie, once again I enjoyed having Starmie but having three water types on my team gave rise to my Ferrothorn problem. Then a new thread had emerge from the shadows, a threat that I didn't believe looked so nurturing. Mega Kangaskahn.

At this point I've been swept by Kanga more times than I can remember. So I figure giving my old nemesis a go - Ferrothorn. This was the beginnings of my final product. Equipped with Rocky Helmet, Ferrothorn piled on the damage. Which helped with all the Volt-Turning I've been doing, plus he had access to stealth rocks with added on further damage. Once again Ferrothorn failed to deal with my hazard problem and on top of that I felt as if I was playing with only 5 Pokemon again. Gengar on the other hand had a short run on my team. He didn't click well and either I'm too inexperienced to know the true potential of Gengar or he really didn't click well with the team.

Here's where things starting getting better, it all started with Mandibuzz. She is a beast, well more of a Winged-Beast but you get the point. She did everything that I've wanted her to do and more. She tanks pretty well, well enough for me to use her as a pivot. She is equipped with taunt and defog so set ups and hazards were a thing of the past. Mandibuzz also had access to U-turn so I would taunt someone out and then process to gain momentum through U-turn. My last slot was Roost but Mandibuzz proved time and time again that she can take a hit so I replaced it with Knock Off.

My final team member, also my most favorite. Trevenant should really be called relevant as he add so much to the team. He deals with Kangaskahn, deals with Rotom or any other bulky water, or wall even with his leech seed/Will-O-Wisp combo. Add Lum Berry Rest to the mix with a little dash of Harvest and you've got a solid member of the team.

Alright now that you've seen my long, drawn out thought process here's the part you've been waiting for.

~The Fantastic Six~

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

As mentioned before the Volt-Turn staple. Rotom Wash is capable of tanking a hit of the specially defensive variety. Through a bit of playing I've found that I am most comfortable with the Chesto Rest option as I can rest to maximum on the opponent's switch and then process to either Volt Switch out or switch out manually and save Rotom for threats such as Talonflame.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- U-turn

My defensive 'pivot'. The main bird that has won me games (or well enabled the bigger bird to win games), Mandibuzz must be one of my favorites on the team. As stated before she does it all: prevents Pokemon from setting up, clears on field entry hazards, and is able to take a hit. All wrapped up with a beautiful bow that is called U-Turn and Knock Off which helps me keep momentum. On top of that she has Overcoat which gives me an added switch in to attacks such as Spore, Sleep Powder, and Even the occasional stun spore.

Greninja (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Taunt

My main Special Attacker who's quite the versatile Pokemon. I usually lead with him as I am sure to out speed any enemy leads and taunt them away. Then U-turn on the switch and build that momentum right up. He also functions as my dragon killer as he OHKO's most dragon types with STAB Expert Belt Ice Beams. The reasoning for the Expert Belt is that I've been in situations where I want Greninja to have as much health as possible (I realize he's meant for more as a glass cannon) due to the fact that he must function as my Special sweeper as well.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit.

A little down the list but a solid partner to the washing machine (Rotom-W). You have the Bullet Punch and U-turn staple, then you have some unique choices which are mainly due to my inexperience as a player. I have Brick Break as it seemed like the best choice besides having Superpower on him, and it helps get rid of dual screens which are usually set up by Espeon or Klefki. It's pretty much the standard from Generation 5 Volt-Turn not much more I can say about it.

Trevenant @ Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Horn Leech

Another one of my favorites, and one of my more thought provoked choices. Trevenant does lots of things, which makes him relevant. He deals with some walls that I just cannot handle on my own. Things like bulky waters and especially Rotom-W, helps me clear the little washing machine and give me an open spot for Talonflame to clean things up. Trevenant also soaks up status moves as he Harvests Lum Berries almost every turn, which goes hand in hand with rest further improving his longevity. Longevity is much needed to handle Kangaskahn through Leech Seed, Will-O-Wisp and Rest this tree is gonna block my oppenent's way to victory! The worst part is that they cannot use cut to cut this tree that blocks their path.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Atk / 88 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird

My main guy, the very burning essence and spirit of the team itself: Talonflame. Priority Gale Wings helps me revenge kill pretty much anything that isn't a rock or a bulky water (I'm looking at you Rotom). With heavy investments in HP ensures me that I can take a hit or two while setting up Bulk Up, then continue with Roost to heal and sweep the proceeding turn.

Team Threats and Closing Comments: While I believe my team to be solid, I know that there must be some room for improvements. For one I have trouble against teams with multiple walls, a team packed with Tyranitar, Blissey, Gyarados, and Goodra. Especially goodra as I have no clean way of dealing with it. Also, Manetric and Exploud leads (I have no idea if they're 'real' leads to say) sweep me if I don't deal with it accordingly.
I really want to mold this team so I can shift into Pokebank OU soon as December slowly approaches, so any criticism in that department is welcomed.

Last edited:
Your team should have roughly three lines after each set describing its purpose on the team/ its movesets purpose. Check the RMT Rules before posting. A mod will most likely lock this thread so start writing those descriptions.

Flamer and Piconoe I've made the changes you've suggested so now I am in accordance to Smogon's rules, I appreciate your patience and comments!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)