Porygon2

@TorchicBlaziken: I would say that that really depends on your team.
The rest of my team is

Nuttre
Bluengel
Blaziken
Latios
Breloom.

So yeah, they don't really need paralysupport.

Charge Beam is situational; after two uses Porygon2's special attack will probably be doubled, making it more powerful in the long run.

But yeah, it only makes it 5 points more powerful than Thunderbolt after 2 uses. Even though those same 2 uses raise Ice Beam's power to 190, it's not worth it in the situations when Porygon2 needs power right now.

@DDRMaster: I'm not sure how useful it'll be with Ice Beam alone. Tri Attack may be more useful there, though Normal alone is...shaky. I'm not going to claim that my knowledge of the metagame, new or old, is extensive, but without Thunderbolt, Pory2 falls to Water Pokemon. But without Magic Coat, it isn't a lead. I'd probably forgo its lead position, and keep BoltBeam coverage. There are other slow Pokemon that can use Magic Coat, and I feel like they'd be more suited for it if Pory2's going to carry TR.
I used that same set to get to 6th on the Wi-Fi ladder at one point on Pokemon Online so running only Ice Beam can certainly be effective. Plenty of walls run Ice Beam as their only attacking move, like Blissey and Deoxys-D. Nothing is immune to Ice so at the very least, Porygon2 can break their Focus Sashes with it. I can't think of anything that you would want to hit with Tri Attack over Ice Beam that wouldn't set up on you (Ulgamoth, Suicune, etc.) and being able to OHKO Salamence and Shaymin-S is great right now.

Does Prevo-Stone actually work with P2? Tried on PO, my defenses didn't register an increase.
It should work on Porygon2 and from what I've seen, it does. LO Gengar was just barely able 2HKO Porygon2 with Focus Blast the last time I played on the Beta Server and this amount of damage will only happen if Porygon2 has a 1.5x boost to its SpDef. Did you try it in a battle and run calcs or did you just notice that it didn't give the boost in the team builder?

@DDRMaster: I'm not sure how useful it'll be with Ice Beam alone. Tri Attack may be more useful there, though Normal alone is...shaky. I'm not going to claim that my knowledge of the metagame, new or old, is extensive, but without Thunderbolt, Pory2 falls to Water Pokemon. But without Magic Coat, it isn't a lead. I'd probably forgo its lead position, and keep BoltBeam coverage. There are other slow Pokemon that can use Magic Coat, and I feel like they'd be more suited for it if Pory2's going to carry TR.
Explain to me why Porygon 2 would need to break through Water Pokemon? It's role is to consistently set-up Trick Room; not to break down your opponent's team. Magic Coat is a near-necessity to this as it allows Porygon 2 to reliably set Trick Room up in the face of Taunters, as well as shutting down suicide leads and potentially letting you reflect entry hazards which is useful since Trick Room teams are often too pressed for space to make room for them. Ice Beam is more useful in general since Porygon 2 makes a great Dragon counter and a lot of prevelant threats in the metagame that P2 can answer are Ice weak. Thunderbolt is more preferable on OTR variants though.

Does Prevo-Stone actually work with P2? Tried on PO, my defenses didn't register an increase.
I've been using P2 on PO extensively and the Evo Stone has always worked. Besides that it's been tested in-game several times, and the actual game mechanics > simulator mechanics.

I'd actually consider running Analyze with trick room, or alternatively download; in all honesty, all three of Porygon2's abilities have something going for them, That said, I usually run trace to irritate mischievous heart and other abusable ability pokemon. In any case, P2 is simply impossible to take down without SE moves or status - he's quite a monster.

With the set I use, an Adamant Ononokusu's Outrage should deal 56.4%-66.6%, a very solid 2HKO. However, I always survive both hits, with a decent amount of HP left, so I'd say it does.

EDIT: Ninja'd, dangit.

@Ech0ez: I said forgo the lead position. That's why. And there are slow Waters who wouldn't mind capitalizing on TR. There's nothing wrong with having more than one TR Pokemon to set up; I'm stating that, offensively, it'll work better outside of the lead position. That being said, it'd still work as needed as a lead.

@DDRMaster: Fair enough. But again, I'm not saying that your method is wrong, I'm simply pointing out its offensive use as a secondary TRoomer.

The rest of my team is

Charge Beam is situational; after two uses Porygon2's special attack will probably be doubled, making it more powerful in the long run.

But yeah, it only makes it 5 points more powerful than Thunderbolt after 2 uses. Even though those same 2 uses raise Ice Beam's power to 190, it's not worth it in the situations when Porygon2 needs power right now.
Not worth it at all:

50 + 75 + 112.5 = 237.5 (Charge Beam: unboosted, +1 boosted, +2 boosted)
95 + 95 + 95 = 285 (Thunderbolt unboosted)

I really don't think Charge Beam should ever be considered.

Oh yeah, 237.5 + 112.5 = 350
285 + 95 = 380

So even after 2 boosts, it's not more powerful. On average, after 5 turns, Thunderbolt will still be more powerful.

^^ Solid calculations. I see Porygon2 as too much of a utility tank to stay in that long for boosts, not like it even needs it. I personally find Discharge to be the ideal move- paralysis support and a nice attack at the same time.

One of my favorite pokemon of all time got really good, I can't wait to try it out. This is EXACTLY what P2 needed- better defenses.

Would P2 be better if its defenses are maxed to take advantage of Evolite? Basically whats the best EV spread.

Love P2 this gen though.

Not worth it at all:

50 + 75 + 112.5 = 237.5 (Charge Beam: unboosted, +1 boosted, +2 boosted)
95 + 95 + 95 = 285 (Thunderbolt unboosted)

I really don't think Charge Beam should ever be considered.

Oh yeah, 237.5 + 112.5 = 350
285 + 95 = 380

So even after 2 boosts, it's not more powerful. On average, after 5 turns, Thunderbolt will still be more powerful.
You just don't only use charge beam though. Usually you have another move as stab to abuse the high sp. attack boost. So I could see one using tri-attack here.

Would P2 be better if its defenses are maxed to take advantage of Evolite? Basically whats the best EV spread.

Love P2 this gen though.
No, because of how defenses work in Pokemon. Damage from an attack is divided by the (Sp.) Def stat, so multiplying the stat by 1.5 equates to lowering the damage taken by 1/3 no matter how the stats are distributed. As a result, the best overall defensive EV spreads for any Eviolite Pokemon are the same as they would be without the Eviolite, which almost always includes considerable HP investment.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Actually, if you wouldn't have already had maximum HP investment, wouldn't you want to invest more with the stone, to balance them out better?

No, because of how defenses work in Pokemon. Damage from an attack is divided by the (Sp.) Def stat, so multiplying the stat by 1.5 equates to lowering the damage taken by 1/3 no matter how the stats are distributed. As a result, the best overall defensive EV spreads for any Eviolite Pokemon are the same as they would be without the Eviolite, which almost always includes considerable HP investment.
Ok thanks.

I literally just tested it out and the EV spread that work out best for me was Bold Nature 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD. Unless someone wants to sway towards Def or SpD more, this makes its HP reach 374, Def and SpD reach 397 after Evolite. Very bulky.

Now I'm still wondering which ability is more useful. Trace is so far my favorite.

I personally ran a max HP, heavy def with 56 in special attack Porygon2.

Even with no special defense EVs, he can still take a lot of special punishment, I just went with heavy defense to counteract the many fighting moves that are thrown around back in the day.

And ability, for a defensive one, trace should always be used, imo.
The reason for that is because he can trace very very useful abilities like natural cure, intimidate, water absorb all of which make his walling capabilities much better.

Natural cure especially, because it gives you the chance to cure toxic, which pretty much puts a full stop to your P2.

Ok thanks.

I literally just tested it out and the EV spread that work out best for me was Bold Nature 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD. Unless someone wants to sway towards Def or SpD more, this makes its HP reach 374, Def and SpD reach 397 after Evolite. Very bulky.

Now I'm still wondering which ability is more useful. Trace is so far my favorite.
Trace is fantastic, as Porygon2's best role is as a utility counter, and Eviolite just makes it that much more bulky.

Trace is fantastic, as Porygon2's best role is as a utility counter, and Eviolite just makes it that much more bulky.
Agree. This thing is insane though. It takes a Specs Latios a 3HKO to beat this thing. One of my favorite dragon counters by far.

One last thing... do you think discharge should go over thunder/thunderbolt? I used thunder on a rain team and that worked fine, however I enjoy the paralysis sometimes. But a discharge didn't even OHKO a bulky gyrados, which a thunder can do...

BurningMan

fueled by beer
One last thing... do you think discharge should go over thunder/thunderbolt? I used thunder on a rain team and that worked fine, however I enjoy the paralysis sometimes. But a discharge didn't even OHKO a bulky gyrados, which a thunder can do...
Well on a rain team there is no reason not to use Thunder since both have the same para chance, on a non rain team however i think that discharge could be usable if you don't want to use T-Wave, but still give paralysis support.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
With trace, this thing is one of the best shanderaa counters that exist. Assuming shadow tag gets banned to ubers, the only ability shanderaa will be running is flash fire. Since porygon 2 traces flash fire when he switches in, he'll be immune to any fire attacks that shanderaa carries, and since he's a normal type he's also immune to shadow ball. Could you possibly find a better shanderaa counter?!?!

With trace, this thing is one of the best shanderaa counters that exist. Assuming shadow tag gets banned to ubers, the only ability shanderaa will be running is flash fire. Since porygon 2 traces flash fire when he switches in, he'll be immune to any fire attacks that shanderaa carries, and since he's a normal type he's also immune to shadow ball. Could you possibly find a better shanderaa counter?!?!
Don't assume.

I know, I know. But still, you have to admit he's a pretty awesome counter IF we decide to ban shadow tag.
Or, he's a pretty good counter NOW since we don't have Shadow Tag yet.

At the same time, there's never been that big of a demand for more Chandelure counters, but it's neat for P2 to be able to handle some more of the new guys.

DC.

Eu estou aqui
This is like the only thing that actually makes good use of eviolite in OU right now

This little guy has been the anchor for my whole team throughout my time on Pokemon Online. I don't think I'd run a team without him as he can take on a variety of threats and Trace makes him an annoyance/threat to opponents. Spreading T-Wave around the enemy team while living through damn near everything is awesome. Crippling their fast sweeper since it most likely won't OHKO you is killer. P2 has always been one of my favorites and now that I can use him to even greater effect makes me happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)