Policy Review Policy Review - Splitting the Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are not an experienced member of the CAP community, it is strongly recommended that you do not post in this thread.

This thread is intended to contain intelligent discussion and commentary by experienced members of the CAP project regarding CAP policy, process, and rules. As such, the content of this thread will be moderated more strictly than other threads on the forum. The posting rules for Policy Review threads are contained here.
This is something else that I did during my tenure as TL unprecedented by other TLs. Simply put, I'd like for voting and discussing to be held in different, simultaneously-held threads, with non-vote posts made in the polling thread deleted. This aids the efficiency of the project in a couple of different ways.

First of all, voting is made easier to count on the TL's part, particularly if Serenity's bold vote PR thread is put into effect. It also makes the discussion easier to follow, as the discussion thread is held open for the entire duration of that step of the process. Without the distractions of voting within the confines of the discussion thread, the actual words of each discussion post is more clearly heard and responded to, which increases the overall quality of the CAP at hand. As far as drawbacks, this plan would people to respond to votes in a different thread, but that is hardly a reason big enough to ignore the benefits that this would bring.

Increasing the efficiency and quality of CAP should be something that all TLs and all Policy Review members should strive to achieve. This simple proposition would heed that goal in all senses of the words 'efficiency' and quality'.

Sure, just leave the discussion thread open during the poll then.

For the list votes, I'd also suggest keeping reasoning at the bottom, splitting the post between an actual countable top, and a reasoning at the bottom.

ex:

move1
move2
move3

move1 is too good, so it shouldn't be allowed.
move2 is stab, so it allows pokemon1 to be awesome.
move3 allows it to defeat counterA, so don't allow it.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I proposed this a while back, and still fully support it. It especially would help in art threads, where you could have a submissions thread and a comments thread so the submissions don't get lost.

I completely agree with this too. Like you mentioned in the OP, its easier for the TL, too. In my opinion, it would be more organized with it, enabling much easier work for the community ( finding the entries for example ) and the TL ( dont have to look for all of these pages to look for the entries ).

This experiment was very beneficial, it was an amazing idea darkie. I personally helped count the votes a few times and I know how much easier it is. I'm all for this.

Despite this, I'm concerned about starting them at once. It was seen in CAP6 that in the beginning of the typing polls, for example, there were random types proposed: Fire, Psychic, etc. just randomly proposed. After a day or two, they became more repetitive and in unison, and it was shown that Water was going to win. This happened at the same time as water was being discussed in the Discussion thread. Obviously, people weren't making intelligent decisions based on discussion and voted right away rather than discuss and work out the kinks of their ideas.

My solution to this is to open the discussion thread one day earlier than the actual voting thread in order to make a more unified, justified decision as to why we're picking what we pick instead of just flavor or personal preference.

I agree pretty much entirely. It made both threads much easier to read.

Why wasn't darkie made a TL earlier (and why did you wait until you were TL to share all of these ideas)?

I'd like for voting and discussing to be held in different, simultaneously-held threads, with non-vote posts made in the polling thread deleted.
This proposal is fine as long as the Discussion Thread is opened first. The usefulness of the discussion is severely diminished if the voting is already taking place before the discussion has begun. I Thought you opened one of the typing polls at the same time as opening the discussion thread which really Isn't a good idea, in fact it was the only change you made to the CAP6 process that Really pissed me off.
As cyberzero detailed, as long as the Discussion Thread is opened first, given the alotted amount of time for opinions to be heard and then is left open while the relevant poll takes place, I would support this proposal.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sounds fine to me, I like C0's version particularly. Discussion open a day (maybe 2+ in some cases) early will probably help to keep the voters informed.

Why wasn't darkie made a TL earlier (and why did you wait until you were TL to share all of these ideas)?
He was, remember EVO? But yea, he never put himself forward before that.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Conclusion:

The proposal in the OP for splitting voting threads and discussion threads, will be amended into the Process Guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)