Guide Policy Review FAQ & Posting Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily

cover me in sugar dust
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
older versions of this thread can be found here, here and here

What is Policy Review?
Policy Review is a forum for the site's tiering policy to be discussed with a wider group. All official Tier Leaders & Senior Staff have access to a Discord channel named "#tiering-discussion" to discuss various policy topics, but we're ultimately a small group and aren't going to cover everything. The role of this forum is to provide a respectful place for the site's contributors to bring up questions, concerns, and amendments to current policy staff.

What should go in Policy Review?
If your topic relates to tiering policy, it belongs in here. Keep in mind that Policy Review is specifically for tiering issues; discussions on site policy are generally more fit for Inside Scoop or, if they're smaller, the site-wide simple questions and suggestions thread. Similarly, topics pertaining to tournament policy have their own Tournament Policy forum. Mechanical topics relating to Pokemon Showdown that have notable competitive relevance, such as this thread on cleaning up oldgen teambuilders, are fair game for Policy Review, but most other PS!-related topics should go into the simulator's suggestions forum.

One thing to note is that while current generation tiers frequently handle their tiering decisions in-house, such as an RU suspect test being posted in the RU forum, all old generation tiering actions for official tiers will go through Policy Review as a way of ensuring visibility.

Okay, I know what Policy Review is for now. How should I structure my threads?
Policy Review discussion should be polite, clear, and actionable. While occasional discussion threads will be started with the intention of starting a dialogue rather than creating immediate change - see "Just what makes a ban complex, anyhow?" by former tiering admin Hogg - most new threads should be started with an end goal in mind. It is incredibly important that you are respectful in tone. Arguments are going to happen over contentious policy decisions, but insults and hostility will not be tolerated.

Some examples of notable Policy Review threads that have resulted in actionable change include:
Let lower tiers leave alpha a bit sooner by Eve, which led to the removal of the "alpha" period lower tiers experienced that prevented tiering decisions from being enacted in the first month of a new generation.
The State of Old Gen Lower Tiers by Lily, which removed the "tier lock", a policy that prevented old gen lower tiers from being shifted by old gen OU decisions, with the side effect of preventing them from making their own changes.
Apply Evasion Clause to All Forms of Evasion by ABR, which added evasion abilities (Sand Veil and Snow Cloak) into Evasion Clause alongside Bright Powder and Lax Incense.
Prohibiting Rises in the Final Months of the Generation during Tier Shifts by Monky25, which resolved an issue of lower tier Pokemon getting "stuck" in tiers they were unviable in due to tiers freezing towards the end of the generation.

An important part of posting in Policy Review, both as a thread starter and a responder, is to BE CONCISE. Long form replies have their place, but being overly wordy is unnecessary and difficult to read. If you want your post to be considered, keep it short and sweet.

A discussion I was part of got hostile and toxic. What should I do?
Historically speaking, this forum has had toxicity problems, and it has led to contributors with valuable input feeling like they would be ridiculed. Going forward, we will not be tolerating this at all. Policy Review access is a privilege that you earn through being a good contributor, and we will not hesitate to remove that privilege from those who misuse it. If you believe someone is being rude or toxic, feel free to report their post using the "Report" button, or bring it up to one of the dedicated Policy Review moderators.

For minor offenses, posters will receive a warning and/or infraction. For major and/or repeated offenses, posters will receive an infraction and a loss of their Policy Review posting privileges. You can argue a point without being rude or directly attacking someone, so don't do that and you won't have any issues.

This thread is getting derailed. What should I do about it?
Feel free to message a moderator about it and we'll be happy to get it back on track. Sometimes threads will span more than one topic and that can be okay, but if it ends up becoming an entirely different conversation, it can quickly become a problem. A common example of this is when threads on new generations turn into conversations about old generations and vice versa, despite the policies not necessarily applying across every gen.

I feel like I have valuable input on this topic, but I'm not a badged contributor. What should I do?
No problem! You can fill out the PR posting access form to request posting access. Once you've posted the form, be sure to let the relevant section leader know (for example, if you're making a post in a thread about DPP UU, let the UU Tier Leader(s) know). You can also message a Policy Review moderator and they'll be able to help you out. Just keep in mind the forum's rules when you do! We're looking into new ways of giving posters access that have less red tape to deal with going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)