Format Discussion Pokemon Sword & Shield Random Battle Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

breh

強いだね
If has rapid spin or defog & (grounded & no poison immunity) or sr weak give heavy duty boots?

spinners love not being poisoned, not being sr or spikes susceptible, etc.

if shedinja give boots?

shedinja likes not being a useless slot when your opp has hazards up and you don't have a spinner. at least unown in gen 7 could kill something in theory

e: an opponent got tbolt / volt switch / wow / np rotom (the normal one), np + vs is bad, monoelec is bad

Last edited:
How about possible spinners/defoggers always being able to do so?

Sticky Web is extremely OP in the format given speed's outmost importance, and it is more present than ever this generation. I could go with losing/ winning thanks to it every once in a while last gen, but now it's not only much more common, but also much more devastating due to how centralizing snowballing with your dynamax is (which is a whole other issue really).

I know that would make the pokemon running the moves so much more predictable, but in exchange I think it would not only make the format much healthier, but also help implement an interesting and fun mechanic (setting/removing hazards) that otherwise is very uncommon.

breh

強いだね
else if (counter.Physical >= 4 && !hasMove['bodyslam'] && !hasMove['dragontail'] && !hasMove['fakeout'] && !hasMove['flamecharge'] && !hasMove['rapidspin'] && !isDoubles) {
item = (template.baseStats.atk >= 100 || ability === 'Huge Power') && template.baseStats.spe >= 60 && template.baseStats.spe <= 108 && !counter['priority'] && this.randomChance(2, 3) ? 'Choice Scarf' : 'Choice Band';

Can this be edited to check for just nonSTAB body slam and not STAB body slam? No return means relying on other normal STAB

Also bullet punch hitmontop is awful

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
I had that same guts / leftovers set and was actually ok with it since there's so many opportunities to get statused in rands anyway that you can easily take advantage of it and bluff your ability (ex. fish for wow and then sweep at +1 or something)

I got aftermath no item acro / strength sap / sub / shadow ball drifblim lmao

How about possible spinners/defoggers always being able to do so?

Sticky Web is extremely OP in the format given speed's outmost importance, and it is more present than ever this generation. I could go with losing/ winning thanks to it every once in a while last gen, but now it's not only much more common, but also much more devastating due to how centralizing snowballing with your dynamax is (which is a whole other issue really).

I know that would make the pokemon running the moves so much more predictable, but in exchange I think it would not only make the format much healthier, but also help implement an interesting and fun mechanic (setting/removing hazards) that otherwise is very uncommon.
I thought about it but it doesn’t seem like a good idea as you’d be killing a lot of sets most of the time, like band hitmonlee.

I got aftermath no item acro / strength sap / sub / shadow ball drifblim lmao
mistake when I was fixing hawlucha. fixed next update.

I thought about it but it doesn’t seem like a good idea as you’d be killing a lot of sets most of the time, like band hitmonlee.
Didn't previous gens also have things like Scarf Excadrill with Rapid Spin?
Given that the strategy in random battles is basically to switch to your hazard setter on turn 1, since your opponent is unlikely to have rapid spin/defog anyways, I'd rather have a slightly weird Band Hitmonlee set than being fucked by webs/toxic spikes altogether.

breh

強いだね
NonSTAB bulldoze should reject CB / cs; arctozolt gets it with 4 attacks and the slot is more or less wasted beyond the still situationally useful speed control.

Also rands room brought up brave bird on mew which I think is all right for max airstream. Has good coverage with cc as well and high bp. Also doesn't clash with psychic terrain like max overgrowth does, which is nice, although I still like power whip. It's awkward that it also increases the chance that mew gets cb 4 attacks but eh

Last edited:

RSB

Dreaming of a shore bordering another world
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
This isn’t revealed during the battle so I’m not sure

I know that if I got a set where I was literally forced to use trick to get rid of my item or the set did not work then I know I would be a little bit frustrated
doubles sets atm are based off of singles sets and that's what goth gets in singles

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
View attachment 213514
please make give both stabs to vileplume

also can we have a discussion on moody? it's just too stupid to have around
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8randombattle-1032729654
i had no idea moody was freed in randbats, and i don't know how i could've dealt with it here at all. and it's different from getting geoxern vs no fairy resist or something like that - moody is insane in-battle rng
moody's free in ubers so it's not being removed from rands, that's just how rands policy is and has been for the past several years

can't give both stabs to vileplume without getting rid of sub leech seed sleep powder venusaur entirely, which is venusaur's best set by far.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
moody's free in ubers so it's not being removed from rands, that's just how rands policy is and has been for the past several years

can't give both stabs to vileplume without getting rid of sub leech seed sleep powder venusaur entirely, which is venusaur's best set by far.
moody is free in ubers cos the average team strength there compared to the strength of moody mons is very high, so even with a few boosts moody mons might struggle to do something of relevant consistently. in randbats, that's more likely to not be the case, with there being less ubers mons compared than not, so moody will more often than not play a very big role in the game which is in neither players' hands.

so yea, i don't see how the reason for moody being free in ubers applies here at all

i also don't see why having a mon with a similar typing to venusaur would cause a problem by having 1 similar set, when all the other sets venusaur is capable of are entirely different from whatever vileplume is capable of. just for that reason you would willingly give a mon a nonsensical set so it can't beat grass and water types convincingly??

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
moody is free in ubers cos the average team strength there compared to the strength of moody mons is very high, so even with a few boosts moody mons might struggle to do something of relevant consistently. in randbats, that's more likely to not be the case, with there being less ubers mons compared than not, so moody will more often than not play a very big role in the game which is in neither players' hands.

so yea, i don't see how the reason for moody being free in ubers applies here at all

i also don't see why having a mon with a similar typing to venusaur would cause a problem by having 1 similar set, when all the other sets venusaur is capable of are entirely different from whatever vileplume is capable of. just for that reason you would willingly give a mon a nonsensical set so it can't beat grass and water types convincingly??
Any clause adding enforcement of both stabs to vileplume that TI would approve of would involve forcing both stabs for ALL grass/poison types. Therefore, forcing stabs on Vileplume would force stabs on Venusaur.

Randbats doesn't ban things, period, unless they're banned from ubers. That's how it is, and that's why moody being free in ubers applies. Randbats is ubers-based, and follows Ubers's banlist. That's why Zacian is still in, and that's why Dynamax is still in, and that's why Moody's still in. There's nothing we can do to change that at this point. Sorry.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Any clause adding enforcement of both stabs to vileplume that TI would approve of would involve forcing both stabs for ALL grass/poison types. Therefore, forcing stabs on Vileplume would force stabs on Venusaur.

Randbats doesn't ban things, period, unless they're banned from ubers. That's how it is, and that's why moody being free in ubers applies. Randbats is ubers-based, and follows Ubers's banlist. That's why Zacian is still in, and that's why Dynamax is still in, and that's why Moody's still in. There's nothing we can do to change that at this point. Sorry.
there are 3 grass poison mons and all of them would prefer to have their stabs rather than 1 atk and 3 status moves, or 1 non-stab attack

you just said "we don't do this" and ignored literally the entire argument of why i think moody being allowed in ubers should not matter here at all

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
there are 3 grass poison mons and all of them would prefer to have their stabs rather than 1 atk and 3 status moves, or 1 non-stab attack

you just said "we don't do this" and ignored literally the entire argument of why i think moody being allowed in ubers should not matter here at all
Venusaur's best set is sleep powder substitute leech seed sludge bomb by far.

I understand your argument, and I agree with it, but there is nothing to be done because randbats just straight up does not tier separately from ubers or perform independent tiering actions and will not start doing so with Moody.

SparksBlade

Community Leader
you guys are always on the edge with stabs on dual-typed mons i just give up

I understand your argument, and I agree with it, but there is nothing to be done because randbats just straight up does not tier separately from ubers or perform independent tiering actions and will not start doing so with Moody.
you guys made randbats and you guys run it, idk how there's nothing to be done here at all. randbats exists for fun idk why are there tiering problems. i disagreed with the mray removal as well(and the horrendous treatment of outright not giving ray dragon ascent) but that shit's in the past, but this at least seems easily doable here

when tiers are in place, the strength of mons below ou will become high and would better be able to handle moody. discussing nerfs is one thing but not when random battle is still in early stages.

in terms of general policy, as mentioned we allow everything up until ubers. there's argument for baton pass to be included too but i think that will end up on the ubers chopping block eventually. wait for full tier levels and pokehome movepool upgrades. if moody is still an issue, at the very least we can make it uber level instead of ou level.

re: vileplume, i think the best action would be rejecting some combination of moves. like sap with seed, for example.

breh

強いだね
if moody is still an issue, at the very least we can make it uber level instead of ou level.
Might as well do that now since it is a very slow win button that will win you the game 90% of the time in its current state. Every moody pokemon will spawn with moody afaik and the ability itself is banned from OU, so I don't see the logical gap in making them lower level.

Fundamentally, though, I think moody pokemon are really different. They aren't hurt nearly as much by stat drops as, for example, uber pokemon are. Their gameplan is stalling for a mathematically given number of turns before they have enough boosts to sweep. Dropped stats don't go far enough to fix pokemon that are checked only by very specific moves. I don't think it's uncontroversial to imagine l78 leftovers snorunt sweeping a game or two with subtect / ice beam / [disable or block].

With all the Max moves lowering stats + sticky web being more common, I feel like Milotic should always have Competitive unless it carries Rest + Sleep Talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)